Remove workbook reference but keep worksheet references

Hi,

I have 15 workbooks in which the same set of sheets appear (one named
for every month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, etc. plus a summary sheet.)

On the summary sheet is a column of formulas that reference ALL sheets
in the WB. For example:

Jan!A1+Feb!A1+Mar!A1...

When I try to copy this column from one WB's summary sheet to other
workbooks, Excel inserts a workbook reference at the paste location:

['Workbook 1.xls']Jan!A1+['Workbook 1.xls']Feb!A1+['Workbook
1.xls']Mar!A1......

I really don't want that workbook name there, since all WBs contain
different data! I just want to keep the formula relative to the WB in
which I'm currently working.

Is there a way to tell Excel, in the formula itself, to disregard the
link with the copy source WB??

Thanks in advance,
~G
0
gene.laz (2)
10/3/2008 6:44:58 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Looks like what is happening is that the Workbook is assuming that you would
like to keep the references from the Original Workbooks.
If you Change the Source, it should solve the problem.

Edit>Links> Change Source> Navigate to [Workbook2.xls]
The [Workbook2.xls] should not appear in the new formula.  It will happen
over all of the links that have [Workbook1.xls].

--
--Thomas [PBD]
Working hard to make working easy.

"Gene.laz" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 15 workbooks in which the same set of sheets appear (one named
> for every month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, etc. plus a summary sheet.)
>
> On the summary sheet is a column of formulas that reference ALL sheets
> in the WB. For example:
>
> Jan!A1+Feb!A1+Mar!A1...
>
> When I try to copy this column from one WB's summary sheet to other
> workbooks, Excel inserts a workbook reference at the paste location:
>
> ['Workbook 1.xls']Jan!A1+['Workbook 1.xls']Feb!A1+['Workbook
> 1.xls']Mar!A1......
>
> I really don't want that workbook name there, since all WBs contain
> different data! I just want to keep the formula relative to the WB in
> which I'm currently working.
>
> Is there a way to tell Excel, in the formula itself, to disregard the
> link with the copy source WB??
>
> Thanks in advance,
> ~G

0
ThomasPBD (13)
10/3/2008 8:08:00 PM
Another way is to highlight the cells with those formulae in the
destination sheet and do Find/Replace (CTRL-H):

Find what:          ['Workbook 1.xls']
Replace with:    leave blank
Click Replace All

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 3, 7:44=A0pm, "Gene.laz" <gene....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 15 workbooks in which the same set of sheets appear (one named
> for every month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, etc. plus a summary sheet.)
>
> On the summary sheet is a column of formulas that reference ALL sheets
> in the WB. For example:
>
> Jan!A1+Feb!A1+Mar!A1...
>
> When I try to copy this column from one WB's summary sheet to other
> workbooks, Excel inserts a workbook reference at the paste location:
>
> ['Workbook 1.xls']Jan!A1+['Workbook 1.xls']Feb!A1+['Workbook
> 1.xls']Mar!A1......
>
> I really don't want that workbook name there, since all WBs contain
> different data! I just want to keep the formula relative to the WB in
> which I'm currently working.
>
> Is there a way to tell Excel, in the formula itself, to disregard the
> link with the copy source WB??
>
> Thanks in advance,
> ~G

0
pashurst (2576)

Outlook 2007 Message Flags Keep Appearing
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C79AF1.3BDDB590 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'm finding that I constantly have email messages showing up that are flagged but I have never set the flag for the message. Does anyone know what would be setting the flags and how I can stop them from being set? ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C79AF1.3BDDB590 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml&q...

Shared Workbooks???
I have several questions concerning shared workbooks in Excel XP and I am hoping that someone will be able to assist me. The questions are below. 1. Concerning shared workbooks, what is the difference between Save vs. Save As? How are multi-user edits affected? 2. Why does User B receives an error message stating that the shared workbook is locked by User A when User A is no longer in the shared workbook. In addition, when the share workbook dialog box is viewed, User A's name appears twice in the "who has this workbook open now field". 3 Is it possible to lock c...

Removal

Remove Excel Icon ??

Remove lines with +++

Fill Series Across Multiple Workbooks
Hi all, Am attempting to reference data from one workbook to another, whilst this is straightforward in itself I would like to be able to "fill" across in a series fashion i.e. incrementing the columb letter everytime. Is this possible? Doing it mannually is becoming very tedious!! Any help would be great. Thanks -- DangerMouse ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DangerMouse's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27755 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=472637 Hi If...

Update two workbooks at the same time, but not all the time.
Hi Folks, I have set up 2 workbooks. One is for RMA's and the other is an evaluation form for returned equipment. When I fill out the RMA form certain feilds are filled out on the eval form at the same time, however I only need to do this when equipment is being returned for evaluation. We get part returned for various reasons, but not for eval. So I need to be able to turn these functions on and off when necessary so I don't create an eval form for a non-eval part. Can anyone help??? -- John.. ...

How to Remove SRS

Sharing Workbook Info message ?
Recently, as I go to Tools, Share Workbook, ck on Allow ....(slfkjsaldjflskjf.....) and OK a message box pops up saying "Seletion is too Large" I just ck OK and move on. Am I missing something here? TIA, Jim ...

remove Fax from address book?

Removing an item from menu

read only worksheet wanted.
I see that it is possible to make an excel spreadsheet read only. Is it possible to do this (make a workbook or a worksheet read only) via a macro statement? Hi Susan.......... I just recorded one and it came out like this.......... Sub readonly() ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True End Sub Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Susan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:d83c01c3ef45$3f202900$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I see that it is possible to make an excel spreadsheet > read only. Is it possible to do ...

How to refer to cells dependent on a specific variable
I'm making a contact list where I in sheet 2 want to take out specifi details from sheet 1 dependent on whether there is arranged a meetin with the company. In sheet 1 each company has a row and when i tick of "Meeting" from a validation list, I have put under contact result fo each company, I want a function that can take the relevant inf (company name, contact person, date of contact, etc) and put them i sheet 2. Do you have a suggestion? -- Krelle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Kreller's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.p...

Need to remove selected characters

Remove deduction code from payroll stub

How to Remove Yahoo toolbar

Removing password protection on a sheet

lookup tables across two workbooks
Hi I have two workbooks to which i wish to do a lookup for. The first wookbook contains totals via subtotals as below A1 0741.702.113 B1 $250.00 C1 EXPENSES A5 0745.753.112 B5 $2510.00 C5 BANK FEES The other workbook contains a vlookup to get the dollar amount from the first workbook and inserts into the second workbook.(column 2) It appears it doesn't work because the first workbook is total made up of subtotals with the other rows being hidden. Do i have to use the vlookup combined with match etc?? or maybe the format is the problem?? Thankyou in advance Darr...

DAO references in Access 2003
I will be upgrading Access 97 application to version 2000. It will be used on different computers. Some may have Access 2000, some may have Access 2003. 1.Once application is updated to version 2000 it will run fine on all versions of Access (2000 and later), is that correct? 2. I will keep the DAO reference in the project. If computer has only Access 2000 or 2003, but no Access 97 installed on it, will it have DAO components installed? Will my application (references) work OK? Thanks, Waldemar 2. I will keep the DAO reference in the project. If computer has only Access > 2000 or 20...

Merging data from different workbooks
A list of excel files with complete path is entered into column A of the workbook. Is it possible to open those files and paste the visible rows into new excel workbook. There are more than 50 files to be opened and pasted. One thing need to be sure while pasting, that when second file is opened and pasted, numbers are pasted at the last row of new excel workbook created. Thanks in advance. See your other thread -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm <Gaurav.alw@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4699f13a-6bb5-4db8-99f9-1e2816fb1fc8@z6g2000pre.googlegroups.com... ...

Adding and removing removable drives