Referencing Cells in Another Worksheet

I have a worksheet with contact names and numbers and some have a combination
of both. I have a Landscape and a Portrait Version. I want to be able to make
changes in only one and the other would automatically update. It worked when
I first created it using "=", but for some reason, when I inserted some lines
and deleted others, the cells stopped working. I tried to fix, but no luck.
I've also tried changing both formats to General and number and neither
worked.
Please help.... thank you!
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Number of characters in a cell
I want to count the number of characters in a cell. I have been told there is a way/formula you can use, rather than importing the table into word and using word count. Is there formula, if so what is it. =LEN(A1) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Bonny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C900F604-3E15-4F40-A1A8-87259225042D@microsoft.com... > I want to count the number of characters in a cell. I have been told there is a way/formula you can use, rather than importing the table into word and using word count. Is there formula, if so what is it. ...

Names and numbers in different cells
I am trying to add the totals given in Columns C, E, G etc etc of each suburb listed in columns B,d,F etc etc. When the formula finds the total is also needs to give me the name in column 1 for that area. (Two areas given in example but not all week) Eg: Find "PNS Sound Hutt" in column B, & column D, add 2.0 (from column c) & (1 from column e) then show John. I need to know how often each person visits each suburb. Name Suburb No Suburb No A B C D E etc etc John MONDAY ...

Referencing merged cells
I'm having trouble referencing a merged cell in another workbook. Say I merge cells A1 to C1 in workbook 1. When I make this the active cell, the Name Box says "A1". When I go to another workbook (say, workbook 2), go to cell B1, type "=" and then go to the merged cell and select it, I get 'workbook1'!$A$1:$C$1 as the formula and, of course, the "#VALUE" error. I've successfully tried typing "=sum(" without the quotes hen clicking on the contents of the cell and then adding the ")" and it works O.K. but there should be an easi...

Print addresses from an exel worksheet to envelopes
I am trying to print addresses from an excel file on envelopes. I know how to do the labels, but not sure how to print onto envelopes. Most users with address in Excel use Word for mail merge. It is easy to tell Word to get its data from an Excel worksheet. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Sherry Lee" <SherryLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7AE22A2-A765-429A-8F8B-478D0FD10216@microsoft.com... >I am trying to print addresses from an excel file on envelopes. I know how >to > do the labels, bu...

Highlight a Cell When Working in Another Cell
If I am working in, say, cell B5, is there a way I can have cell G5 highlighted? When I am inputting numbers into column B, there are instructions in column G that I would like to have highlighted so that the instructions for that particular row are easier to read. I can't think of a good way to do this. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks! Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Cells.FormatConditions.Delete With Target If .Column = 2 Then .Offset(0, 5).FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE" Wi...

Shift + arrow to highlight and copy cells
Normally, I like to use the keystroke method of copying cells by copying a cell, then hold Shift down while I do the arrow key. (it's easier on my wrist than hold and dragging). But, for some reason, now when I hold the Shift and do the arrow, it is not moving. Anyone know what happened? -- -- BPod Never mind. I've got an answer now. Mike H. answered me in the General Excel questions. Way to go, Mike! -- BPod "podbay" wrote: > Normally, I like to use the keystroke method of copying cells by copying a > cell, then hold Shift down while I do the arrow key. (i...

cells protection
Dear sir, with my regards, i have a workbook with about ( 10 sheets) full of formulas,to send these formulas away from spongers , i protcted some cells or columns which contain them, when i want to work on any sheet i cancell the protection and forget to protect again . Is there any way in excell 2003 to protect these cells directly when i close the sheets. Thanks in advance. -- tofimoon3 Sure with VBA. Place this code in a workbook module, if you don't know where that is, check out this site http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html#Workbook Place this code there Private Sub Workbo...

Copy value from cell with custom format
Hi, I want to copy values from cells with a special custom number format. i.e. the cell value is displayed as 1060028 but it's literal value is 28. When I look at the number format in "format cells" it says the number format is 10600##. If I copy this cell from one to another even using "paste special values" it only returns 28. How can I copy the cell value 1060028 as a complete string? Would I use a function or would I have to use some VB script? thanks. The format should copy along with the value. Just use Paste, not PasteSpecial -- Gary''s Stud...

Hide Row If Any Cell In It = 0
Hello All Searched high and low amongst the forums for this and found some close solutions, but can't seem to make any work. I have Rows 1-100 & Cols A-J all with formulas or text in them. If the result of any of the formulas in any of the that range is 0, I want the entire row hidden. Cheers Hi Try this: Sub aaa() Dim targetRange As Range Dim tRange As Range Application.ScreenUpdating = False Set targetRange = Range("A1:J100") For Each r In targetRange.Rows Set tRange = targetRange.Rows(r.Row) For Each cell In tRange.Cells If cell...

Restore mailboxes to another Exchange 2003 server
I have a single domain with two sites, one for the main office and one for the remote office. Each site has domain controllers, Global Catalog, and DNS servers. I put one Exchange server in each site. The users in each office only use the Exchange server on site. If in a case our main office is totally gone, is there a way I can restore the mailboxes for the main office users from the backup tapes to the Exchange server in the remote office? Any suggestions are highly appreciated. -- Yi On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:38:09 -0800, "Yi" <Yi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Cells(my_crt_row,my_crt_col+1) crashes for my_crt_row>65536
I tried this in Excel 2007, where the worksheets may have 1M rows. Why does this crash? In Excel 2000 to 2003, this thing worked fine for my_crr_row<=65536, as I expected. But now, having more rows in a sheet, why does this not work for a larger row number? Hi Bede, If you're running in 97/2003 compatibility mode (as you must if the wb is in xls format), you're still limited to 65536 rows and 256 columns per sheet. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "BEDE" <BEDE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:527B2833-CEE3-41E4-9BD7-3...

Contents of cell in footer #2
I want the contents of a specific cell to be in a footer, can I do this? This code, placed in the ThisWorkbook code module, automatically picks up the cell value when printing. Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) ActiveSheet.PageSetup.LeftFoot�er = Activesheet.Range("A8").Value End Sub -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "dbhenkel" <dbhenkel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6952C152-C970-45CD-A9BC-126C7645C389@microsoft.com... > I want the contents of a specific cell to be in a footer, can...

color in cells 2
hi i am haveing trouble getting what i need I have a spreadsheet and in one cell say in the column i would have 3 choses "A" "B" "C" and when i apply the letter "A" i would like it to trun red but if i was to apply the letter "B" then i would like the letter to turn green. i can get the letter to trun red but how can i get other letters to turn different colors sorry i am slow but i hope you can help joe --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi jladika! Keep to the same thread. After OK of your f...

Referencing another field if result is N/A
Hello, I have a situation where I am referencing data on another workbook. The reason behind this is the data in Column H can be entered incorrectly and often is. I am able to prevent this going forward but can not do so for the items already entered. I enter a formula via VBA, however, sometimes the result will be #N/A and if so I would prefer to leave the old value and just highlight it that it needs to be verified by hand. I am not sure if I can just "leave" the value as it has pretty much already been replaced. Due to this, I copy the column to a different colum...

Using one table instead of another?
Say I created two tablesin Microsoft Excel. In a cell above the two tables i insert a value. To use table 1 you insert the letter (a) or to use table 2 you insert (b). How can I do this? when i insert the letter (a) I want table 1 to be highlighted yellow and table 2 to be highlighted red. Also i want table 2 to be locked when i insert the letter (a). The same goes for the letter (b) but vice versa. How do I do this? Hi! What do you mean by: >Also i want table 2 to be locked when i insert the letter (a). The same >goes for the letter (b) but vice versa. Biff "Using one...

Speak Cell command
Is it possible to get Excel 2007 speaking out a cell contend in a language other than English? Phonetically as usual: For example to “say” Good Morning in Japanese, try something like: O hey you gozaimasu -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200803 "renatoabc" wrote: > Is it possible to get Excel 2007 speaking out a cell contend in a language > other than English? ...

copy role from business unit to another
hi all can i copy any role form business unit to another business unitwith crm 1.2 thanx alot Hi Elamir, You cannot copy a role from a business unit to another. You will have to create them yourself there. If you create a sub business unit, they will copy the roles as well, but copying them later is not possible by default. You can take a look at the database and do a copy on that level, but this is not recommended or supported. Kind regards, Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands "elamir" wrote: > hi all > can i copy any role form business unit to another business unitwith...

Assign a value to a cell
I'll apreciate your help with this in A1 i have a value in days that is used to make several calculations but I need it to change if a specific condition is given something lik this: A1=300 If b1<a1 then a1=b1 where b1 is a value calculated somewhere else. Thank you for your help. Rodolf -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following formula in A1: =MIN(B1,300) Frank > I'll apreciate your help with this > > in A1 i have a value in days that is used to make several > calculations, but I need it to change if a specific condition is > giv...

How do I change a cell range with a reference cell?
How do I change a cell range with a reference cell? i.e. cell H220 changes from =sum(G220:G229) to =sum(G220:G235) by changing cell A1 from 10 to16? =sum(offset(g220,0,0,a1,1)) "Danneskjold" wrote: > How do I change a cell range with a reference cell? i.e. cell H220 changes > from =sum(G220:G229) to =sum(G220:G235) by changing cell A1 from 10 to16? Thanks Duke. "Duke Carey" wrote: > =sum(offset(g220,0,0,a1,1)) > > "Danneskjold" wrote: > > > How do I change a cell range with a reference cell? i.e. cell H220 changes > > from ...

Worksheet doesn't permit F4 absolute referencing tool in formulas
I've never seen this before in a worksheet and can't find a Tool-Option that would change it. You can of course type the dollar signs in, but the F4 key won't toggle. Sure it's something simple, any help appreciated! -- ronthedog ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ronthedog's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=397725 ...

Finding data in a unknown cell
Hi, hope someone can help. I have a spreadsheet which has items and their respective quantitys in 2 simple columns. The item names are consistent and do not change, however the items and their position within the spreadsheet changes everyday as it is taken from an external source. I can find whether ITEMx exists easy enough with the COUNTIF function*, however since it's position will change everyday I can't put in a static formula of it's quantity since I won't know the cell it's in (I don't want to do it manually). Basically is there a function to display a cell to t...

Wanted -to know how to post FILE NAME and DIRECTORY at bottom of my worksheet
Who knows how to post the formula at the bottom of all my excel worksheets that will give the file name and the directory of my file??? thanks for a reply! =CELL("Filename",A1). file must be saved for the first time. Regards, Jon-jon "Pedro" <pdk1974@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0b3d01c38f14$216fd180$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Who knows how to post the formula at the bottom of all my > excel worksheets that will give the file name and the > directory of my file??? > > thanks for a reply! In case you wanted to put full path including sheetnam...

This workbook is currently referenced by another workbook and cannot be closed.
The message is given when I try to close a workbook / kill Microsoft Excel. I'm using Microsoft Excel 2002 / XP. The spreadsheet includes a reference to another sheet that someone else referenced in another message here. I put the AddIn sheet in via: Tools, AddIns..., Analysis ToolPack - VBA. I've not referenced any function or procedure in the add-in. I get a Triangular Warning / Error ? It's got a graphic of a Yellow Triangle with an Exclamation Mark inside. The subject is the exact text of the warning. A Microsoft Search on the subject yielded nothing. Google yielded one ...

how can I freeze column width (cell size)???
I have a spreadsheet with formulas. I show the formulas and resize (autofit) the columns. I want to freeze the column widths on all the columns then... .... uncheck show formulas. Problem: when I uncheck show formulas the columns resize (smaller) automatically. Many of the columns re-size to small for the data (pound signs display). Can someone tell me what I need to do to keep the columns from resizing after unchecking show formulas? Thanks, Tracey How about a little macro? Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim myColWidths(1 To 256) As Double Dim iCtr As Long With ActiveS...

Enlight a modified cell
Hi, I would like to know how to change automatically the color or font of a cell when the user change the number or text in that cell. It's to see more clearly in a big table which cell is modified (for exemple each time you open the file or every week....). Pls ; help us :) !!! Thx a lot ! one way: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) With Target If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub .Interior.ColorIndex = 7 End With End Sub Put this in the worsheet code module (right-click on the sheet tab). In article <3fa3f43f$0$...