reference a cell AND its format in a new cell

Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any
formatting it has.  For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in
red.  The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want A2 to show not only the 5 but
I also want it to preserve and show the same formatting that was
applied to A1.  Thanks in advance for the help.
0
tcnichols1 (19)
5/2/2009 11:36:07 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Formulas don't do this kind of thing.

You could copy|Paste????

--

Dave Peterson
0
wrote:

>Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any
>formatting it has.  For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in
>red.  The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want A2 to show not only the 5 but
>I also want it to preserve and show the same formatting that was
>applied to A1.  Thanks in advance for the help.

You could try conditional formatting. Test the cell for equivalence to
A1 and, if found, change the formatting to whatever is in A1.
0
dranon (82)

00/01/1900 In the date cell when linked cell is empty?
Hi I have 52 worksheets all linked up to a total sheet that is working very well thanks to RD All I need to do now is sort out the date this is copied from sheet1 onto the totals page and works fine when the date is put into sheet1. However if the cell is blank on sheet2 the date is put into the totals sheet as 00/01/1900 when the date is put in sheet2 all is well with the right date entered into the totals sheet. So how do I get the totals date to stay blank until the weekly sheets have a date put into the sheet please. the format I am using is below many thanks for all the help I ...

How to convert amount in word format (Like 40.00 is Rs. Forty )
I want to convert a value of cell in word format, Like i have a value in cell is 40000.00 (i want to convert it into Rs. Forty Thousand Only) is there any formula in excel for this function See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Dinesh" <Dinesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA0668EA-7A00-4036-A787-A16939314899@microsoft.com... > I want to convert a value of cell in word format, > > Like i have a value in cell is 40000.00 > > (i want to convert...

Need to reference a block of cells from another sheet.
Dear All, apologies if this is probably a mundane question, but I didn't know what 'search terms' to put in google to return any results.. I've got a Spreadsheet with 12 tabs (sheets), I need part of tab 12 (sheet) to appear on tabs 1-11 (sheets), so that if I change data in tab 12 (sheet), tabs 1-11 (sheets) are changed too.. the cells themselves will never move location, just the data within them.. Is it possible? Regards Paul. On your sheet1 select the cell that should receive the data from Sheet12; Hold down the Shift key and Click on Sheet11 << this shoul...

Check format with two stubs on bottom
GP has a check format with two stubs on top. We have several clients that use checks that have the two stubs on the bottom. We have had to modify the stub/check/stub format to get a check/stub/stub format (as per KB t864284). GP needs to have the formatted check of check/stub/stub format ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based...

Cell Value as Named Range Reference
Little bit of a quirky question... Trying to use a cell value as a reference in a formula, where that cell value is the name of a named range. So, assume A1:A3 is a named range: Rng1. And, B1:B3 is Rng2. I want to get the correlation vale for A1:A3 and B1:B3 So, cell D1 contains "Rng1" and D2 has "Rng2"; and cell D3 has the formula: =correl(D1,D2). But I get an error. Have also tried using Indirect to no avail. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you. =CORREL(INDIRECT(D1),INDIRECT(D2)) -- Wigi http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music "ste...

I need to increase a number which is held in a cell by 1
How do i increase a cell which has a number in it, eg, cell a8 has 4 i want to run a If statment that looks at another cell and if true i want cell a8 to increse to 5 You need VBA. The code is simple in itself (Range("A1").Value = Range("A1").Value + 1), but what will trigger the addition to happen. -- HTH ------- Bob Phillips "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:106609F3-2295-4FDC-8ED2-CA9E29D2FA3B@microsoft.com... > How do i increase a cell which has a number in it, eg, cell a8 has 4 > i want to run a If sta...

create new document, then add data
I added items to my toolbar and menu bars to my app and would now like to do the following: I know how to set up methods to handle the commands. I would like one of my buttons/menu items to create a new document and then add data to it (MDI). Either randomly generated or pulled from a server. What keeps confusing me about the Doc/View architecture and MFC is where pointers to different class instances are, etc. In this case, I need to create a new document first. If I create a method to deal with the command from my new button in the "MyApp" class, that works, but now how d...

refering to a name range area as a reference value multiple times on a worksheet at different locations
i was wondering if i had posted this in the right section as it could apply to both please could you take a look at the following post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/f088a5737dd26570 thank you Is there some reason you can't post your question here instead of asking us to look elsewhere? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Blinds Nottingham" <bradrail.blinds.awnings@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:d8768e43-e035-45eb-856a-0ccdc843441d@g1g2000yqi.googlegroup...

moving to next cell using "Enter"
With Excel XP (Windows EX also) Excel seems to have a problem remembering what direction to move the focus when the Enter key is hit. Is there a fix or a way of keeping it the same? Thanks -- Joseph Meehan Dia duit Hi, Go to Tools->Options and choose Edit tab. In that choose the direction of the Enter key to the way you want. Govind. Joseph Meehan wrote: > With Excel XP (Windows EX also) Excel seems to have a problem > remembering what direction to move the focus when the Enter key is hit. Is > there a fix or a way of keeping it the same? > >...

What is IVA# in Distribution Reference and Reference?
We did an inventory adjustment and now we get a unknown amount in Debit under the Inventory account and Credit for COGS account in the Transaction Entry Zoom. We're trying to figure out where that amount came from but we couldn't zoom more than what it's currently shown. In both fields, Reference and Distribution Reference, it's shown IVA#######... that is unknown to or setup by us in anywhere, i.e. Audit Trail, Source Document. Does this amount affect the dollar in the accounts mentioned? And can anyone please help to where we could drill down the IVA details?...

protecting a group of cells not a whole worksheet
I would like to protect a group of cells and not a whole worksheet but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. I think this would be the best way for what I am wanting to do. I have a spreadsheet that I send to 13 people. They make changes and send back to me and then I have to up-date the changes. If I could protect all the cells except for the one they enter in - then I could save the file on a shared drive and it would eliminate me up-dating. Is there a way to do this? Hi select the cells for which you want to allow entries. After this goto 'Format - cells - Protection&...

How to move cells to a another Cell?
Hello, I hope someone can help me on this. I am trying to move cells from a group into a top cell, the initial view of column A (very simplistic) of the cell looks like this: 1 2 3 4 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 1 1 2 3 What I want to do is to move 2 3 4 from the first group to the cell that contains the 1 (first entry) and continue with the rest of the cells so at the end columnA will look like this: 1 2 3 4 1 2 2 2 333 1 123 The cells vary in lenght and I have several spreasheets with LARGE amounts of data that I have to processed, so I am hoping that there is a macro (VB) that is able to do th...

Image in a cell
Is it possible to place an image in a cell? If so, can you tell me how to do it? No. Images are placed in the Drawing Layer "above" the worksheet. Cells can contain formulae or data. If you size an image to exactly cover a cell, you can set the Move and Size with Cells property (right-click on the image, choose Format Picture/Properties and select the appropriate radio button) so that the image remains "on top" of the cell. In article <6463B5FA-3D07-43B9-90EE-7A5143977C1B@microsoft.com>, "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is ...

how do I merge two adjacent cells and keep the data from both cell
To take it a step further, I also need the formats to remain the same. ie...the left column data is Left-text-justified, and the right column is Right-text-justified. =A1 & " " & B1 -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "johncaleb" <johncaleb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E182C58A-A577-43ED-9C90-46E58767E7CB@microsoft.com... > To take it a step further, I also need the formats to remain the same. > ie...the left column data is Left-text-justified, and the right column is > Right-text-justified. ...

more than 4 color choses for cell/colum
I an new to excess so please show me how this is to be done I would like to put a letter in a cell but all in the same colum. "A" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "B" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "C" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "D" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "E" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) thanks jladika@millenniumimagingfl.com jo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi only possible with VBA as conditional formating only supports 3 conditi...

Adding new Public Folder Store and Replicating
I have two Exch2k3 servers in one site that I would like to store the same public folder information for redundancy sake. Currently one of my servers holds a copy of the public folders. How do I replicate the whole public folder structure over to the second server? Thanks! On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:21:03 -0700, "bj" <bj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have two Exch2k3 servers in one site that I would like to store the same >public folder information for redundancy sake. Currently one of my servers >holds a copy of the public folders. How do I replicate th...

Custom Number Formats #2
How do I create a custom number format to return thousands e.g. if the value is 1000 the format shows 1 Under Format -> Cells in the Custom format box type #, (make sure you put the comma in). This will only show the thousands part, note that it will round numbers like 2598 up to 3 instead of 2. Andrea Jones http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk http://www.stratatraining.co.uk http://www.allaboutclait.com "Mary Ann" wrote: > How do I create a custom number format to return thousands e.g. if the value > is 1000 the format shows 1 Try this custom number format: 0, Or: ...

macro button refers to prev. workbook?
Hi, When I create a macro in Excel, and assign a button to it, it works fine the first time, but when I re-open the workbook for a second time, and try to run the macro again, the macro seems to refer to the previous workbook...For some reason, the macro saves the name of the previous workbook... Sub test() ' Dim name As String Dim adress As String Sheets("sheet1").Select Range("A1").Select name = ActiveSheet.Range("B6").Value adress = ActiveSheet.Range("B4").Value ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Temp...

Data Validation in cell
Hi I have a sales order form with the equipment on the second sheet as "PartNo" "Description" "Cost" selected each column of data then clicked in the cellname box and called them "PartNo" "Description" "Cost" On the sales order form I have the columns "Qty" PartNo" "Description" "Serial No" "QtyDes" "Price" Total" I have set up data validation for the description as a list with =Description what I want it to do is display the part no in the part number Column and the cost in...

Empty Cells #3
I export data from a program called OpenView Service Desk into a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is then imported into Access and queries performed on the imported data. This data is then copied and pasted into a different spreadsheet where calculations are performed. In one particular spreadsheet there are 2 columns, one complete with data (no empty cells) and the other which may contain empty cells. I need to count the number of "empty cells" however the problem is, these cells, although they appear empty, are not. I need to but cannot find the content(s) of this cell(s). How do I fi...

deleting duplicated cells in a list via advanced autofilter?
I have a list which I would like to filter and deleted duplicate records. A1: A250= account numbers B1:""= values C1:"" = loan balances D1:"" = notes I'd like to be able to delete the duplicate account numbers but stil show the value, loan balances, and notes that belong to the accounts. Can anyone help. Thanks. Pete: -- petevan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- petevang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2503 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadi...

The number of new home buyers slipped for the fourth consecutive month as the red-hot housing market began to cool amid rising mortgage rates and the biggest home price increase in 17 years, say repor
The number of new home buyers slipped for the fourth consecutive month as the red-hot housing market began to cool amid rising mortgage rates and the biggest home price increase in 17 years, say reports issued Thursday.Both Statistics Canada and the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. released details on the national housing market that show rocketing prices, especially in booming Western Canada. Statistics Canada said new housing price index rose 1.2 per cent in April to 138.2, the biggest month-to-month jump in 17 years. Visit www.canadianhomemortgages.com for more info and save your money. ...

Column and Row reference
How do i hide the column and row reference number in a sheet, when viewing the worksheet i do not to show the top and right hand side references Dave Tools>Options>View. Uncheck "row and column headers". Good idea to spend a few minutes browsing through the various Tools>Options tabs to see what else is available to toggle on/off. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:53:02 -0700, "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do i hide the column and row reference number in a sheet, when viewing the worksheet i do not to show the top an...

How do I change the default new page?
When I open Publisher 2007 I always want a new page (it's the quirky way I work) so instead of the Getting Started... page I'd prefer it just go a blank page I'd use as the default new page (my preference for page size & orientation, color & font schemes, etc.). How do I do this? I'm a Publisher 2000 user so this is probably a bit different than the way 2007 works. Look at Tools, Options, uncheck the box that lists "Use Catalog at startup" -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Pressing on, Ed" <PressingonEd@discussions.microsoft.com...

How do Macro to EDIT cells?
Am using MS Excel XP (2002). All I want to do is a short macro to, in effect, press F2 (to EDIT the cell), then let's say delete the first character of the cell and change it to let's say X, like this... Before: _Mary Jones *Joe Smith %Peter Rabbbit After: XMary Jones XJoe Smith XPeter Rabbbit I just want to put the cursor on a given cell, click CNTL-A to run the macro, and have it change one cell at a time. There are reasons why I can't use the search and replace. Problem is... if I record the macro (turn it on, press the key sequences, F2, Home, Delete, X, GoDownOneCell, ...