Really easy question - line break

I know that this must be a very basic question but I just can't find
the answer to it in excel help.

When I am typing in a cell how can I force excel to start a new line
without tabing the word to the end of the current cell.

i.e.

This is what I get

Mr Jones 25 Freemount Street Potter Bar End

and this is what I would like

Mr Jones
25 Freemount Street
Potter Bar End

Apologies for the really silly question.

Thank you
0
rition (24)
11/1/2005 6:16:06 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

rit...@hotmail.com wrote:
> When I am typing in a cell how can I force excel to start a new line

ALT+ENTER

On 31 Oct 2005 22:21:24 -0800, "Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote:

>rit...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> When I am typing in a cell how can I force excel to start a new line
>
>ALT+ENTER

Thank you - I tried ctrl+enter but didn't think of alt

0
wahp (2)

Really?!
According to my Xnews reader . . . (and Excel) . . . Did you know that since December 14 last year over 43000 messages appeared in this newsgroup?! That means that we were able to place an average of 209 messages per day in microsoft.public.excel.misc! Congratulations to us all! Think a detailed summary picture, with monthly figures stretching back almost 10 years, a host of interesting stats (live) & clickable links is availed for say, excel.misc at Googles: "About microsoft.public.excel.misc " page at: http://groups.google.com.sg/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/about?h...

Publisher Question #7
How do I overlap stacked objects so that the top object appears to be tucked INTO the object behind it? Arrange menu, Order... or alt+F6, bring to the front alt+Shift+F6, send to the back. There is also bring forward or send backward with no keyboard equivalent in the Arrange menu, Order. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "elenaperez" <elenaperez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27A8A0DB-B944-4CFE-B406-C12379F04522@microsoft.com... > How do I overlap stacked objects so that the top ...

Select Distinct Question
I have a select distinct query that provides CustomerID Address City State Zip I need to add the Customer Name to the distinct list I created but here is the problem. This individual rows that roll up to make a distinct records may contain variations in the Customer Name thus creating duplicates. I guess Access as to have a distinct RECORD as opposed to a distinct field. Which Customer Name that get added to the list doesn't matter to me. How do I create a query that will just use the first Customer name it encounters when I link on CustomerID use group by instead of distinct a...

CButton question
Does anyone know if there's a way that I can achieve the same visual effect with a CButton object that I can by calling SetReadOnly() for a CEdit object? That is, have it greyed out but not disabled while still allowing me to check and uncheck it via software (users will not be permitted to do this). I've tried over-riding the brush returned by OnCtlColor() for the CTLCOLOR_BTN case but without success. Thanks for any help/comments. -- Fenster People have done some things with buttons by writing their own class and then setting the control to be owner-draw so they can manip...

pivot table question
When I try to drag a column heading to the table Excel says "A field in your source data has more unique items than can be used in a pivot table." I let Excel select the range (from A1 to O10792) Is there a limit? I didn't see anything about that. Yes, there is a limit. Without knowing your software version level, we can't tell you what it is. On 13/03/10 8:23 AM, in article hnwaxman-2702C6.16233212032010@news.microsoft.com, "Harvey Waxman" <hnwaxman@SgPmAaMil.com> wrote: > When I try to drag a column heading to the table Excel says &quo...

Really, REALLY big picklists
Hi guys, Our client wants to have a picklist with about 3700-3800 values in it, and wants to add further items to it. It wasn't until it got to our data migration guy, who was entering them in manually and wanted my help on the matter that it was brought to my attention. They want to retrieve the 3700-3800 values, select the information, and return the name of the entry. Apparently typing the name in is too hard, or would result in too many mis-entries. Basically I think the idea is retarded and a really, really bad idea, especially since I couldn't find any supported methods to a...

I have a question about migrating email addresses
What would you suggest me to do to keep all staff member email address close to what we have currently with our hosting company? Can I change this when creating a mail box? Our just modifying the alias field would work? Please advise example (hosting company): doe.john@n2newdirection.org example (Exchange Server): jdoe@n2newdirection.org -- Jermaine Wells Network Administrator You change SMTP addresses either individually on the E-Mail Addresses tab of the user in ADUC or globally by defining the Recipient Policy in Exchange System Manager. "JWells" <JWells@discuss...

Really basic question about adding and dividing
Hello Yep, I'm hopeless at Excel but I'm not an accountant and only have to use it once or twice a year for student marks Anyway, I have two columns which I need to add and then divide the total by 2 to get the average 10 + 16 = 26 divided by 2 = 13 so I type in the third column = Column A + B/2 and I get.......18 Ok, I've worked out what is going on (10+ 16/2 (8) = 18) but what do I do to get the right answer (13) Thanks Dave Neve =(A1+B1)/2 -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replac...

Order Question
Hope this is not a duplicate as I got an error when I tried to post last time. What is the best way to get an order to distribution and/or accounting? In an order, on the Information side tab, you can click the print tool on the toolbar to print the General, Shipping and Addresses tab info, then click the products tab, then click the print button on the Action bar to print the product info - so 2 prints, 2 pieces of paper. Is this the best way? Is there no way to e-mail this information to distribution or accounting besides a workrule from which they would still have to print both page...

Ubuntu really sucks
Ubuntu sucks. Instead of moving forward with every release, they have the uncanny ability to take Linux back in time by piling code that doesn't work on top of more code that doesn't work until they have turned their OS into a garbage salad. 8.10 was GREAT, and for the most part everything worked. Some things were missing concerning support of newer Eees, but then they released Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04. 9.04 could only have been released completely untested, as they missed something as stupid as the Intel tiling kernel bug which caused every Intel card out there to crawl during...

Import Acces data into Excel using MSQUERY question
Quick question please I'm doing a database query from Excel 2003 in Access. I go: Data/Import External Data/New Database Query/ and then I progess through the wizard, selecting my Access file, selecting the matching criteria and then selecting the cell in the Excel sheet to import to. It grabs the right records from Access, but it imports the data from a record across a row, and I'd like to go down a column, cause that's where the proper target fields are for the fields from Access. Why does it seem I can only import data across a row using MSQUERY? Thanks Harry Don'...

Really strange payables data
Don't understand how this could possible happen but I've got matching payment records in PM10200, PM20000 and PM30200. From PM10200 I'm joining to either PM20000 or PM30200 using the vendor id and then linking the APFRDCNM field to DOCNUMBR in either the open or history table. For PM30200 I've confirmed that the reocrds there were not voided. Some users noticed that there were payments listed multiple times for vendors in the Payables Transaction Entry windows showing as both history and open. Aside from how this could possibly happen; trying to determine now ...

VBA Script Question
Hi All, Below I pasted part of some script. On the last line of the script I have "WEDNESDAY PICK-PUT-VAS.xls'!Sheet4.hide_unhide_rows". The script only works if the file name of the worksheet is the same as it is written in the script. I would like it to work no matter what the file name is changed to. Any help is appreciated. Sheets("SUMMARY").Select Application.Run "'WEDNESDAY PICK-PUT-VAS.xls'! Sheet4.hide_unhide_rows" James Change Sheets("SUMMARY") to Activesheet I would also move the Sub hide_unhide_rows out of sheet4 and...

exchange spy question #2
I have an employee who I suspect is leaking information to their ex(possibly current) employer who is our direct competitor. Is there any way without accessing his/her mailbox that I can find out whether or not an email was sent to a particular email domain? If so, how would I retrieve that message in its entirety? ...

REALLY REALLY FRUSTRATED!!
Why on earth can I not get OWA working? It was working until one of my guys hosed IIS on the server. I have uninstalled and reinstalled BOTH IIS AND EXCHANGE 2K3 TWICE, AND NO JOY!! There is no ExchangeApplicationPool listed in IIS. WHY? I have people crawling all over me to get this back up!! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO COMPLICATED?? Someone PLEASE HELP before I throw this server out the window!! had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Create a new application called ExchangeApplicationPool and then check article 829167 to make sure relevant virtual directories are configured to ...

5.5 to 2000 Upgrade/Migration Question
All: I'm a little confused about the best way to accomplish the following. Have an NT domain running Exchange 5.5 with about 30-40 users/mailboxes. I am going to upgrade to 2000 active directory and then install a clean Exchagne 2000 server and migrate users over. I would like to create a seperate Exchange Org for the new 2000 server so I can start fresh. My steps to accomplish this are: -sync my bdc with pdc and take offline -upgrade my pdc to 2000 -install fresh 2000 server and join the domain -install exchange 2k on this server with sp3 Now, what is the most efficient method of ...

Exchange 2007 Recieve connector question
Hi How do i see what AuthMechanism and PermissionGroups have been set up on the recieve connector on the hub and edge servers? Thanks Get-receiveconnector |fl This will get the details of the receive connector and format it in a list format. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7652CC06-998F-4293-BB3F-056928691FC2@microsoft.com... > Hi > > How do i see what AuthMechanism and PermissionGroups have been se...

A CFileDialog Question
Hello,everyone. I have encountered a problem about CFileDialog tonight. First, i create a CFileDialog instance and run it(Do Modal). Then,i select a folder and press button Ok. Now i want to get the path of the folder i selected. So I hope to use the function GetFolderPath,but error have occured . I don't Know what's wrong! Who can tell me? ? How can I get the folder Path from CFileDialog? ? ? Thx for your replies! ! ! ! ! You will need to use a folder browser (SHBrowseForFolder) like: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/XBrowseForFolder.asp Tom "xhy_China&q...

How do I insert a break into a graph?
I am working on a lab write up and I was wondering how I can insert a break into a graph to demonstrate that the values are not the same distance apart. Hi, Have a look at these techniques for adding a break to the y axis. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/brokencolumn.htm http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/broken_y_axis/tutorial/index.html Cheers Andy runnergirl00 wrote: > I am working on a lab write up and I was wondering how I can insert a break > into a graph to demonstrate that the values are not the same distance apar...

Question marks "?" with accented characters ???
Why do some characters appear as "?" when they are supposed to be accented characters? What can I do to prevent this? Thanks. On 2010-01-19 13:30:12 -0500, dma said: > Why do some characters appear as "?" when they are supposed to be accented > characters? What can I do to prevent this? > Thanks. It's an encoding issue. Simply tell Entourage to change the encoding method used for the e-mail. Corentin -- --- Office:Mac MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ --- http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft....

Question about CEdit::LineScroll()
I have a multiline Edit box and I want to simulate scrolling (vertically) up and down by calling the above function when the a "<" button is pushed (down) or whena ">" is pushed (up). Can I assume if I pass the function a negative number it will scoll up, and a positive number will scroll down? The help files do not specify this. Zilla "Zilla" <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:oXpYb.12162$FO.4084@fe01.usenetserver.com... > I have a multiline Edit box and I want to simulate scrolling > (vertically) up and down by calling the ...

Query Question! 05-06-07
If I have a Query that shows all my records but I only want the Query to show the record that has no data/Blank in [OwnerID] Thanks for any help......Bob ...

Array Function Question
I have little knowledge of Array Function. I'm updating a spreadsheet developed by someone else. One array formula trying to lookup data in another spreadsheet looks like below: {=SUM(IF([Data]Data!$A$3:$A$70>=DATEVALUE("01/01/2006"),IF(Data]Data!$A$3:$A$70<=DATEVALUE("03/01/2006"),IF(Data]Data!B$1:$AR$1=A5,Data]Data!$B$3:$AR$38))))} I was told to press Ctrl/Shift/Enter to refrsh the data and it worked last time(3 months ago). But this time the cell won't refresh but shows the formula text. The formula should be fine. Did I miss anything to refresh...

Should be Easy Time Date Issue
I dont mean to insult anyones intelligence, but I am new to Excel. would like to double click a cell and have the current PC time and dat to enter the cell. Is this possible? Thank you -- RubberSou ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RubberSoul's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1678 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31983 How about... Shift-Ctrl-; (Hold down the Shift key and the Ctrl key, then press the semi-colon key) This enters the time. Then format the cell for Date/Tim...

How to really quit..?
Hi all, I have an Access form connected to SQL-server. When I start the application from Access/Archive/AccessFile.mdb I'm promted to login. If then press 'Cancel' and choose Archive/AccessFile.mdb I get the Access database Window. So how can I prevent the Access database Window to open? I don't want the user to see this. Kent J. You dind't say what version of Access you're using. In Access 2003, opn Tools/Startup... and uncheck the Display Database Window checkbox. Then close and reopen it and you shouldn't see the db window. Kent J wrote: >Hi all, > &...