Re:Pivot table sorting

hi,

That did the trick.

I just removed the total field from the "Row field" and kept only sum of
total (data).

With both the data in place sorting is not possible.

thanks all

Regards,

Jimmy Joseph

On 11 May 2006, you wrote in microsoft.public.excel:

> Select a cell in the Total column, then click the Sort Descending
> button (Z-A) on the Excel toolbar.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Pivot Tables 04-09-10
Hello All! Can someone please point me to a description of Pivot Tables and their use? Perhaps, a not too expensive text book would be appropriate. -- James Silverton Potomac, Maryland Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not Here are a few links: Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm And Debra's own site: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html John Walkenbach also has some at: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Da...

How to connect to remote server and access the tables
I am working on Vb.Net application. I have to connect to remote server(it's IP address)(this server is not on my network). This company has provide me username, companyname and password. Once, I get connected, I get the SessionID. Now, I need to download some of the tables from here. How do I do this. Pls note, this company has some web services. If I create a reference to it's web services, how do I access it's database(tables)? I appreciate your quick response and thanku in advance If you connect just to a web services then you need to know what they return to you when y...

Sorting with PivotTable
Hi all, I have spent half the day in finding how to solve the problem. :( Suppose I have a list of products, with product price, ID, name, type date of arrival, etc. I want to sort the products by their type and print the correspondin details together on a report, i.e. Type A Orange ID1234 $0.5 Banana ID1111 $1.0 Type B Pear ID ID1112 $1.2 Type C Cars ID1200 $50 Can I do so by pivottable? If no, any other good suggestion? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Create a pivot table with type, name, and ID in the row area, and price in the data area Double-click on t...

Macro to sort variable data range fails
Hi, Can you please help me identify why this macro is failing with the following error? Runtime error 1004: Sort method of Range class failed Row 7 is the header row Data range has a variable number of rows (so using end(xldown) to select the range) Using column BA to select a contiguous range of cells as all cells are populated in the column Then using that selection to select entire rows in my list Sorting as per criteria using row 7 as header row Rows("7:7").Select Range("BA7").Activate Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.End(xlDown)).Select ...

Linked Table Add In
Greetings, I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade. Will happen soon) All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends. There is one major backend and several others. Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to a "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play. I do this many times a week. The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer. Have there been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though it said it has? I always check the AFTER of this operation and make su...

Does anyone create sites without using tables for layout?
I know that a trend is to create websites that are pure css, and don't rely on tables for layout. Are asp.net devs taking that approach also? I checked a couple of major asp.net websites like newegg.com and they do seem to use tables for layout. Any info out there focused on table-less asp.net dev? Most of us try but I think our dirty little secret is most also cop out and start using tables here and there when their pages become increasingly complex. You'll note most of the "pure" CSS sites are often little more than what we call StackPanels in XAML using CS...

query tables
i have inherited a database w/ o documentation & noone to tell me its history. I have a query that shows 2 tables: "A" and "B" Table A has several fields, B only 2. The tables are joined on these 2 fields. 3 fields called for the query, all from table a. When i run the query i get data. But where is this data coming from? I can find no Table A or B; i can find no query A or B. I am stumped. Can anyone help me? Could be a few things. For example A and B are queries and not tables. Whoops! You already eliminated that. Make sure to scroll left and right on the d...

display order of values without sorting
I would like to create a sheet that can give me a weighted score at the end of the row. What I mean by this is I have a sheet with 4 colums and 10 rows, each of the rows will have a weighted number in each of the colums with a total at the end. With out sorting the rows I would like to rank them in importance, the highest number being a 1 the next a 2 the next highest a 3 and so on. Is there a function that does this or does someone have a formula? Thanks Try this… This formula will create logic and will assign a value for the equivalent word. =IF(A1="two"...

sort addresses
I have Windows XP Professional and Office 2000 on the main computer. I have two computers linked via a hub. The main computer is incapable of sorting the email addresses in Outlook. However the 2nd computer is sorting the addresses fine. 2nd computer uses Windows 98 and Office 2000. How can I get the main computer to sort email addresses? I also cannot find the "auto response" on the main computer when in Outlook so that I could send a vacation response when traveling. Nancy Sorting email addresses where and in which mail support mode of Outlook 2000? If you don'...

Filtering a pivot table
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0058A94385256E35_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" I would like to know how to deselect everything (so that I may then select just a few items out of hundreds) in the dropdown menu for filtering rows in a pivot table. If anybody knows how to do this, I would greatly appreciate some advice. --=_alternative 0058A94385256E35_= Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" <br><font size=1 face="sans-serif">I would like to know how to deselect everything (so that I may then selec...

Question and Answer tables
I'm trying to create a set of question and answer tables, similar to the tables in Duane Hookom's "At Your Survey" sample application. In his answer table, the field for the response value is type Text. My question: What do you do about response values of other types, such as Numeric, Boolean, Multiple Choice, Option Groups, etc.? It is typically the case that not all questions in a list will be answered with text. Thanks, OldBlindPew I may be remembering an earlier version, but I thought Duane's At Your Survey allowed for more than one answer "type&...

Time Table Problem
Hi, I'll try to give as much detail as I can on this problem in order to increase possible solution alternatives. In a excel workbook, I have 4 Lists on Sheets 1, 2, 3 and 4 column A:A respectively. The list on Sheet1 shows "names of teachers". The list on Sheet2 shows periods (10 periods for each 5 working day of the week) that can be used throughout the week e.g (Mon1, Mon2, Mon3,...., Mon10), (Tue1, Tue2, Tue3, ....,Tue10), .........., (Fri1, Fri2, Fri3, ...., Fri10) totalling to 50 periods. The list on Sheet3 shows the lesson names+classes to take it (in the format lesson...

PIVOT TABLE IN EXCEL 2007 #2
I want create a pivot table using an external database. I can do it but the list of column data appears all in column A instead of column B, C, D etc. How do I get the data into columns with its appropriate headers? Have a look here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot02.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "sid" <sid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE7D4FA6-5F12-4F72-A12E-E9E223685790@microsoft.com... >I want create a pivot table using an external database. I can do it but the &...

How to create a Pivot table from text file with more than 65000 rows?
Is there a way to create a pivot tabel where the source data is a tex file with more than 65000 rows of data? Normnally I just import th text file to excel and then create a pivot, but in this case I have to many rows but don't want to lose data. I guess I can use the create pivot tabel from external data sourc function but could somone take me through the steps to do this from large text file - if this is possible! Many Thanks -- morchar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- morchard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinf...

Pivot and Graph
I have a pivot table displayed with data populated using c# code. I want to create a graph out of ONLY the FINAL summary rowS. If I create a pivot chart, then it gets messed up if I expand the pivot table. If I manually copy paste the sumary values into another place and draw a graph based on that, then when the pivot table data is re-updated by c# code, then my graph would go out-of-sync. If I refer to the summary cells somewhere and use that for the graphing, then also when I expand/collapse the pivot table, then the location of the summary rows change and so my graph goes blank. One pos...

You're not alone...
Raul, unfortunately I get the same error from any "web" page inside Outlook. I tried with other users, nothing has changed. I changed the user in the services (MSSQL$CRM and SQLAgent$CRM), nothing has changed. Now I will reinstall all on the client (starting with XP) and, if something will change, I will keep you informed. If otherwise you already resolved the problem, please let me know. Thank you in advance, Ruben. ...

Combine Data from 2 spreadsheets to create a single Pivot Table
Hello From Steved I have 2 spreadsheets one is Called Auckland and the 2nd is Called Wellington. My Objective please is to use the data from 2 spreadsheets to create a single Pivot Table. Yes this is one workbook with 2 spreadsheets. is this possible. Thankyou. A person named Fazza shows how on Mr Excel: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1550658&postcount=3 I thought this was really cool, and now I'm incorporating it into a couple projects. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://Peltier...

MS SQL Insert Data from One table to another
Hi guys, After seeing the benefits one can derived in developing applications running on sql, I have tried my hands on some small application, but with some challenges, and I will be grateful if someone can help me out. I want the contents one table to be added to some specific fields in another table. for eg. Table 1 P_Id pMonth pYear pRegistrar pFormType pCasetype ..... table 2 fID FormName 1 Land 2 Commercial 3 Defamation .... ..... I want to insert the values of table 2 to table 1 spec...

why does Random: Rnd() not work for random sort?
Hi I'm trying to generate some random numbers in a query in order to allow a random sort of the query using a calculated field called Random: Rnd(). Problem is, the exact same random number is generated for every record in the query thus negating any ability to create a random sort. I've also tried Random: Rnd(-1) Random: Rnd(0) and Random: Rnd(1) as well as other integers with the same result. I'm using Access 2007. Any help/thoughts? thanks, craig On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:35:19 -0600, "Craig" <msaccess@howardhowardfine.com> wrote: >Hi >...

grouping data in a pivot table
Hello I have a excel spreadsheet that I need to change into a pivot table. The dates are listed in the date column daily. (1/1/01= $10 , 1/2/01= $ 10,1/3/01= 10) I want the pivot table to group the dates and give me the sums of a specific month. Jan 01 = $30. The reason I need to do this is because the pivot table is also stating that I have too many columns and it won’t show all of my data at one time. If you have real dates in that column, you can group that field by month (and year) inside the pivottable. Just rightclick on the field and choose "Group and show detail". Gr...

How do I remove the individual subtotal lines from a pivot table..
I made a pivot table to subtotal sales to multiple customers for multiple part numbers.The pivot table summarizes by customer and then lists the nultiple part numbers purchase.I want to eliminate the company subtotal line and retain the individual lines for part number sales. also, if possible I'd like to retain the customer name on the remaining lines so it would look like this: customer part qty dollars A b22 3 3 If you double click on that Customer header, you'll see options for subtotals (including None). And I don...

sorting by series
Is there a quick way I can sort a worksheet by a series like Mon thru Fri or Jan thru Dec instead of alphabetically? I want to sort a data list that contains days of the week from Mon thru Sat and then subtotal them. Thanks, Tom Tom in the sort dialogue box, choose Options and pick the one you need. You can also define a Custom Sort Order Regards Trevor "Tom James" <tombenjames@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:VFu_g.14680$gU6.10701@tornado.socal.rr.com... > Is there a quick way I can sort a worksheet by a series like Mon thru Fri > or Jan thru Dec instead...

Advanced Sortting Issue
Please Help!!! I pretty good with Excell, but I don't really know the lingo so bear with me Here is what I'm dealing with. I have lets say something that looks like this below. A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S Employee Position Employee # Rating Bob Smith Cheif 1234567 Unlimited Document Orig Date Exp Date Comment CPR 1-1-1999 1-1-2002 none MMD 1-3-1998 1-4-2005 none First Aid 1-3-1999 1-3-2002 none Now lets say I have 10 Employee's and want to keep track of when different "Docume...

Accessing Tables
If your Acess Database becomes corrupt for whatever reason. Is there a way to still access the info in the tables. Also I thought of backing up my access tables as CSV files is this wise? Is it a good idea? My database will be split as well. Thanks DS only maybe. If you split your database, the likelyhood of data corruption is reduced. In my experience, it is ususally the front end or application that becomes corrupt. The data or backend becoming corrupt is more rare. You can try a compact and repair and see how that works. You can try using the TransferDatabase from a new mdb and ...

Default Value in Table 02-22-10
I need a default value in my table to be the date value of another field in the table + 25 days. When I try to place this in the default value box, it says there is a type mismatch. ="ANLDate" + 25 Both fields are short date format. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cora, What you are trying to do cannot be done at the table level. You will need to do that on the form level. Is there any particular reason you are doing this in a table? -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!"...