Ranking, I think

I have a column of values which I need to rank from highest, 1, to lowest,
18.
Help please as I can't find anything on google.

--
Cheers
Stephen

Have you considered sorting them ascending?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 01:54:36 +0000 (UTC), Stephen <steve@dmsystems.co.nz> wrote:

>I have a column of values which I need to rank from highest, 1, to lowest,
>18.
>Help please as I can't find anything on google.

How about using the RANK worksheet function?
0
ron6368 (329)

Who is it that Vista thinks is denying access???
I need to look in *my* application data folder, but stupid Vista says "access denied" Not only is it *my* own profile - i am also an administrator Who is it that Vista thinks is denying??? Is this just another Vista cock-up or is there something i'm missing?? If it's named "Application Data", then it's either a left-over from XP or a junction point (which you can't open). Vista uses a new "AppData" folder under your user folder. -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate http://download.live.com/wlmail "...

List a ranking
I'm a newbie at this, so help is appreciated. I have an Excel sheet like this: Team A .600 =rank(b1,b1:b3) Team B .750 =rank(b2,b1:b3) Team C .300 =rank(b3,b1:b3) I want to get another cell to list how far they are from the #1 rank. So, cell d1 should be equal to .150 and d3 equal to .450. The percentages will change frequently, so it needs to figure out what is #1. I know I could just do =b2-b1 and b2-b3, but only because I can see the b2 is the highest percentage. Am I making sense? Is there a way to do this? TIA. BR =MAX($B$1:$B$3)-B1 etc. -- HTH RP ...

Rank within Categories
I am trying to work out a way to rank within categories. Column E has different categories. Column i has the data. Column am working on i want to give the ranking where each data point falls within its own category. i have tried to hash something out but am stuck...here is my feeble attempt =IF($E5="SE",IF($E$5:$E$40="SE",IF(I5>0,RANK(I5,$I$5:$I$40,0),"N/ A"), ...... ..... signfies a string of IFs. the Next one being IF($E5="C".... I have also tried an array.....that doesnt seem to work =IF(OR(E6={"C","SE","NE","...

rank
I would like to know how to get around duplicate issues when using th rank functio -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rank.htm and http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.RANK.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I would like to know how to get around duplicate issues when using the > rank function > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

subtotal rank
I'm working with a filtered list and I'm looking for a rank formula that works like the subtotal formula does. So when I filter the list it ranks by the particular filter. Thanks in advance BW --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

I think the file corruption problem is the Investment Performance
I really think that the crashing problem (or auto shutdown problem ) is the Investment Performance Module on the Homepage. I found that someone here in this board. I have not had this problem until the latest update. Microsoft please look into this ASAP. I do not want to move from your program, nor do I want to put countless hours rebuiding my info (again). If we could just come up with a way to remove it from the home page without opening the file, that woudl be great. Maybe a small utility that could allow us to mange the home page without actually launching Money. Heck even if was a...

Ranking in Excel
Hi All I need to rank numbers entered in column A in ascending order while recognising ties but not skipping ranking numbers. The numbers can range from 1 to 1,000 but there are only 40 rows of data in column A. Any help would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow To do this with worksheet functions, you need to sort your list in your desired (Ascending) order. If your numbers start in A2, then in B2, enter a 1, and in B3, enter the formula =IF(A3=A2,B2,B2+1) and copy down. IF your numbers cannot be sorted, then you would either need another helper column or VBA. -- HTH, ...

Inserting cells then ranking
Hi, I am trying to create a ‘to-do job’ spreadsheet that will automatically insert new ‘tasks’ according to their priority. For example, on the sheet I currently have 10 tasks - entered manually. However, the more tasks I have, the longer I spend re-assigning rank order numbers. I would like the sheet to: • insert a new task e.g., Pick up TV. let’s say, into position number 5. This would result in “Sweep Drive” moving down to number 6 and all the other jobs would subsequently be moved down one cell. • Allow me to keep adding jobs if necessary. I think I may need an ‘Update ...

Rank
I would like to know how to get around duplicates when using ran -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see your other posts please don't multipost -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I would like to know how to get around duplicates when using rank > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

RANK
Hello, MS EXCEL 2003 on XP PRO. for the overall simplicity of my spreadsheet, I want to use a rank as a unique identifier so I use VLOOKUPS. My problem is that RANK() is VERY likely to return repeated ranks (3 second places for instance) and thus mess up my whole day. I found that the correction offered in F1 Help =(COUNT(AB:AB) + 1 - RANK($AB4,$AB:$AB,0)- RANK($AB4,$AB:$AB,1))/2 to produce the same effect. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to rank say, {1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,6,7} with out repeating the rank? (largest is Rank = 1)? {10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1} are the ranks...

Ranking
How do you get around the duplicate problem when you use the ran functio -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If your #s are in A2:A11 and are named "Range", then in B2 put thed regular rank formula, =RANK(A2,Range,1), and fill down to B11. Now in C2 ctrl/shift/enter: =SUM((A2>Range)*1)+1+COUNTIF($B$1:B1,B2) (note carefully the "$") and fill down to C11. Hide column B uf you want. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Mch >" <<Mch.1be4ud@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Mch.1be4ud@excelforum-nospam.com... > How do you get around t...

Do you think this could work?
A school where kids only spend 2 and a half hours formal instruction a day (as in, 1 hour maths, 1 hour literacy, half an hour of science, history or a language on alternating days?) Then the rest of the time they are given the option of choosing what they want to do with the resources offered by the school? Like working in the garden, playing a sport, joining a club, signing up for elective classes, or private study in the library etc. Once they get to 15 or 16, they sit down with a counselor guide and "map out" the sort of things they'd want to do, and organise ...

RANK function
Is there such a thing as a RANK function which returns results...NOT in lowest to highest...but highest to lowest?? In other words, if your array is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10... and you ask the RANK function to return (3,A1:A10)...instead of 3 for the result, I would like to see 7!! please advise, larry Hi not quite sure if I miss something but why don't you use =RANK(3,A1:A10) though it will return 8 not 7 :-) For changing the order enter =RANK(3,A1:A10,1) this will return 3 HTH Frank >-----Original Message----- >Hi >not quite sure if I miss something but why don't ...

Ranking #3
hi, another question, ive got a list of people with their individual scores, and now i want to order them into a list in descending order etc... how would i do that? again any help greatly appreciated Select both columns and Data>Sort Sort descending by the scores column. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 13:50:00 -0700, spotseven <spotseven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >hi, another question, ive got a list of people with their individual scores, >and now i want to order them into a list in descending order etc... how would >i do that? again any hel...

Comparing ranking
I have 3 cols of data,at the moment H,N AND W. JOHN 1 3.25 JOHN 2 8 JOHN 3 6 JOHN 4 2.75 JOHN 5 11 JOHN 6 15 MARY 1 8 MARY 2 5 MARY 3 5 MARY 4 2.75 MARY 5 11 MARY 6 17 MARY 7 13 N is the actual ranking. W is the predicted results,unranked. Lowest is best in the predicted results,thus 2.75 is ranked 1st,3.25 is ranked 2nd etc. I want to produce another column which will show the numerical difference between the actual ranking and the predicted ranking,the first row will be 1 -2 =-1. I also want to show for each person in another extra column ,the percentage of the total below each numbe...

Ranking???
Hi I have the following data in three separate columns Column a is the customer column B is the different products that a customer might use Column C is the revenue received for each product Each customer can have up to 20 rows of data which would look something like this: Row 1 : Julies Computers Column A, Hard Drive Column B, $3000 Column C Row 2: Julies Computers Column A, Flat Screen Column B, $4000 Column C I need to rank or find out which product for each customer has the maxiumn revenue, for example in the above the Flat screen would be ranked number 1 in column D and the Hard D...

Rank
I have a spread sheet, and I am trying to do the following function: =IF(F5>0,RANK(F5,$F$4:$F$102)," ") I have 5 numbers and 95 blanks in that column, and the numbers rank 5-1. But they are in the wrong order, so I changed to: =IF(F5>0,RANK(F5,$F$4:$F$102,1)," ") Now, the rank is from 95-100 What is the best way to rank the non-blank cells from lowest to highest? ========================== What I really want to do is some calculation involving the 2nd lowest, the 3rd lowest, and the number of numbers found. "Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net> ...

How to RANK
Hi! I have average marks in 'a' column upto 'a25' and relevant names i 'b' I want to rank those names please........! Arju -- arju ----------------------------------------------------------------------- arjun's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1570 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27236 You can either use data sort to put the list into order or in column put =RANK(A1,A$1:A$25) and copy it down the lis -- Alex Delamai -----------------------------------------------------------------...

ranking
I have a list of numbers. 45 67 78 45 67 89 90 23 There median is 67(example) is there a way that i can have a formula that will me which is above or below the median. A formula for each number? I put your data in A1:A8 and put this formula in B1 and dragged down. =IF(A1>MEDIAN(A1:A8),"Above",IF(A1<MEDIAN(A1:A8),"Below","Equal")) nkob wrote: > > I have a list of numbers. > 45 > 67 > 78 > 45 > 67 > 89 > 90 > 23 > > There median is 67(example) > is there a way that i can have a formula that will me which is above...

Rank Function?
Why would my RANK function be returning #DIV/0! ???? Didn't know this was possible. Anybody run into this before? Thanks!! Hi do you have any #DIV/0 Errors in the range your looking it? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany mark1 wrote: > Why would my RANK function be returning #DIV/0! ???? > Didn't know this was possible. Anybody run into this > before? Thanks!! No. I have zeros, but it still should work. >-----Original Message----- >Hi >do you have any #DIV/0 Errors in the range your looking it? > >-- >Regards >Frank Kabel >Frankfur...

Date conversions....Excel thinking too hard?
We have many programs (Access, SAP, etc.), that when they try to export to Excel, Excel always tries to convert our part numbers into dates. For instance, we have a part number, 1944-1-5, that needs to be exported to Excel as a text value, 1944-1-5, not converted to a date, like 1/5/1944. And no, putting quotes around it is not practical, since we have thousands of part numbers. I have successfully exported from Access using the TransferSpreadsheet method in a macro or VBA (instead of the standard "File | Export..." menu selection) without the date conversion occuring. Ho...

ranking a list
Hi, I have very little knowledge of Excel but am trying to rank a list of numbers in a row (in the row below). I want the highest number to be 1, the second highest to be 2, etc. each number is in a different column. for example: row1 45 12 1 63 14 56 15 I want to become row1 45 12 1 63 14 56 15 row2 3 6 7 1 5 2 4 I do not want the numbers in row1 moved. Also, the numbers in row1 could change therefore their 'ranking' will also. Anyone got any ideas on getting me started. Thanks Try this in A2, and copy across: =RANK...

Ranking
I'm working on a spreadsheet that scores on five different categories and weighing them differently. I've figured out the scoring part and the weighing part but now I'd like to have Excel automatically rank the scores by putting a 1, 2, 3 in a cell beside the individual's name. Can this be done? Thanks, Tom So assuming you have something like: Name Cat1 Cat2 Cat3 Cat4 Cat5 Weight You want to then add another column for Rank? If so, no problem. Add the column header Rank, then for each row, write the formula: =Rank(my_weight_cell,weight_range) Replace "...

outlook 2003 thinks email is being sent when none is
Basically, I get the standard error report that an email could not be sent because of a lack of connection with the email server even though no email is in the outbox and I have not tried to send any email. Help! Outlook may be trying to send a read-receipt, which will not be visible in the outbox. Can you send other mail OK? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "NCD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dbd01c3be93$a14ace10$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Basically...

Breaking Ties in Ranking
I want to RANK students' position in class according to their "Total Mark" in Column AN. I use the following formula to do the ranking. =RANK($AN$7:$AN$56,$AN$7:$AN$56) If the "Total Mark" is the same for two or more students, then RANKING must now be based on their 'Grade Point Average' which is listed in in Column AM. If the 'Grade Point Average' is also the same, the rank should now be based on marks the students score for COURSE A in Column AL. Can someone suggest a formula for that? Thank you in advance. "Zainuddin Zakaria" &...