Random replacement of data in a cell with a #####

I've opened up some saved spread sheets and a few random cells display #####
instead of the data that was entered. When placing the cursor over the cell
the correct data shows in a balloon. Deleting the ###### and attempting to
replace the data doesn't work, the ###### just reappears. How can I fix
this????
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

HI

Just widen the columns where the #####'s appear

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"hondo" <hondo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've opened up some saved spread sheets and a few random cells display
> #####
> instead of the data that was entered. When placing the cursor over the
> cell
> the correct data shows in a balloon. Deleting the ###### and attempting to
> replace the data doesn't work, the ###### just reappears. How can I fix
> this????

> signature database 4826 (20100202) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4826 (20100202) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Roger
2/2/2010 7:30:11 AM
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 at 23:16:01, hondo <hondo@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in microsoft.public.excel :

>I've opened up some saved spread sheets and a few random cells display #####
>instead of the data that was entered. When placing the cursor over the cell
>the correct data shows in a balloon. Deleting the ###### and attempting to
>replace the data doesn't work, the ###### just reappears. How can I fix
>this????

This just means the content is too long to be fully displayed - you'll
need to widen the column it's in.

Select the column, then select : Format>Column>Autofit Selection
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me)
0

If the cell contains text, see

http://ewbi.blogs.com/develops/2005/01/excel_s_text.html

-  Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"hondo" <hondo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I've opened up some saved spread sheets and a few random cells display #####
instead of the data that was entered. When placing the cursor over the cell
the correct data shows in a balloon. Deleting the ###### and attempting to
replace the data doesn't work, the ###### just reappears. How can I fix
this????

0
Mike

Random
How to get random numbers random(0xff) ? int RandomNumber = (rand() * 0xff) / RAND_MAX; -- Bjarne Nielsen "]GHO[" <yousefk@taux01.nsc.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:0b6a01c3a84c$5733a890$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How to get random numbers random(0xff) ? rnd()%0x100; or rnd() & 0xff; Ruben On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:07:13 -0800, "]GHO[" <yousefk@taux01.nsc.com> wrote: >How to get random numbers random(0xff) ? ...

Random Numbers not Random
When I create random numbers for an application with the following code, they do not appear to be truely random. Me.RandomNumber = Int(9 * Rnd + 1) ' Random Number 1-9 If I have two users setting side by side, they frequently get the same results when they start up Am I missing somthing? Any help would be appreciated -- Frank Wagner fwagner111@aol.com Frank, Have you tried a Randomize statement just before the RND? That should do it. -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job tha...

Sorting Data that feeds into other formulas....
Hello: I have a workbook (Excel 2003) and I am having trouble with a particular sorting issue. On page 2, column GL contains specific data that feeds into formulas used in Page 1. When I sort my data on page 2 it changes the formula totals on page 1. What I want to do is have the ability to 'lock' the data on page 2 so that after I sort it doesn't change the totals in my formulas using the Page 2 cell references. For example on Page 1, one of my cells reads the following formula: ='Rep Stack Ranking'!GL$12+'Rep Stack Ranking'!GL$13+'Rep Stack Rank...

How can I edit cell contents with a macro in Excel? #2
I'm trying to creat an Excel macro that edits cell data, remembering the edits, not just the resulting value or formula. If, for example, I want to delete all but the last three characters of a cell value, and I record a macro, editing the cell produces a line like: ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "745". But I don't want the specific value. I want the process. I'm essentially asking for RIGHT(R1C1,3), but I can't use that formula in the macro because it would be a circular reference. What am I missing? If you use the Value property you can just replace the old v...

Exchange server randomly asking random users to Authenticate randomly...
Has anyone had a problem like this where a user is in their Exchange mailbox using Outlook 2003 and the server prompts them for their credentials? If they hit cancel and exit out of Outlook and run it again it lets them into their mailbox. Thank you, Benjamin Pls make sure the outlook 2003 Client does not using Cache mode If is ,pls clearn this option -- Jammy "Benjamin Chan" <bchan[pleasenospam]@controlproductsinc.com> ���g��l��s�D :#BxdizrtEHA.3972@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Has anyone had a problem like this where a user is in their Exchange mailbox > using Outlo...

Merging columns of data
Is it possible to merge two columns of data into a single column, such that the resultant column will contain cells of text consisting of the *concatenation* of the two columns? In other words, let's say I have two columns -- A & B -- each with many rows of cells. In column A, I have a list of First Names; in column B, I have a list of Last Names. What I'd like to do is to merge them into a single column of First and Last Names. I know I can create a function (in a third column, for instance) for every single row, where column C would use a CONCATENATE function to merge t...

Formatting Imported Data
I have to compile a worksheet from data copied from a pdf file. Problem when i copy and paste text all data falls into column A and i have to drag one line at a time to the specific headings. this is how the data I copy pastes into excel: Date Time Duration Number Dialled Charge 01/05/2009 11:14:03 00:00:30 110 0.79 07/05/2009 19:20:59 00:01:41 0860112442 0.00 28/05/2009 18:40:20 00:01:45 110 1.25 28/05/2009 18:48:51 00:00:07 0860123911 0.15 Sub Total 2.19 I have set up the columns as such: Date Time Duration Number Dialled Charge 01/05/2009 11:14:03 00:00:30 110 0.79 And n...

Adventure Works Sample Data Install Problem
When I am tring to install the sample data using the SampleDataWizard I get the following error when I click the Next button after entering 9 users from the AD; ************** Exception Text ************** System.Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.SampleDataWizard.SampleDataWizard.LoadTreeNode(XmlNode firstNode, TreeNode parentTreeNode) at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.SampleDataWizard.SampleDataWizard.InstallPanelNavigation() at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.SampleDataWizard.SampleDataWizard.btnNext_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) at Syst...

Macro to number blank cells
In one row I have: A B C D E F G Cust# Address 1 Address 2 Address3 Address 4 Address5 Address6 I have a macro that inserts 6 rows below each name, how could I copy information in columns B-G to the 6 cells below cust #, Thanks in advance for your help Fernando Can it be this simple? I'm not positive that I understand what you're asking. But try this. You have blank rows below each record. Select the columns B through G, beginning with the first BLANK row and down all rows. Hit Ed...

Generating Correlated Random Values in Excel
Hi Mike, Thanks so much for your advice. I think that I have it figured out, but can you confirm this for me? I can't afford to screw this up. If mean(inflation) = .031 stdev(inflation) = .047 mean(stock return) = .106 stdev(stock return) = .204 Column Headers: A B C D 1 Z1 Z2 Inflation Stock Return Data Generation Formulas A2 =NORMINV(RAND(),0,1) B2 =NORMINV(RAND(),0,1) C2 =0.031+0.047*A2 D2 =0.106+0.204*(A2*rho+B2*(1-rho^2)^0.5) Are these formulas correct to generate the random data? Particularly cell D2. Does this give me a complete value that t...

cell looses name after sorting
Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000: in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the values in these cells are used in other sheets. the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other sheets get messed up! How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute? thankx in advance, Jim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@exc...

Using a formula in cell with a drop-down Box
I am developing a program to track my work schedule that consists of a couple of worksheets. For simplicity: In WORKSHEET 1 I have a simple layout with one cell dedicated to each day of the month. Each cell has a drop-down box that allows me to select ON or OFF, relating to whether I am scheduled to work or not. and each cell has a For each peron that I am scheduling, In WORKSHEET 2 I have two cells dedicated to each day of the month. Each cell has a drop-down box that allows me to select a starting time in one and an ending time in the other. What I am trying to do is to start in WORKS...

Sort cells and "Place in this document"-hyperlinks
Dear group, I am using a table with multiple columns that are used as a database. Each column is one data entry. I am having some hyperlinks that point from one data entry (i.e. column) to another inside the spreadsheet. Unfortunately, when I perform a sort of the columns, these hyperlinks remain pointing to the previous location inside the sheet, i.e. to the wrong column after the sort. How do I solve this, i.e. how I make Excel understand that these hyperlinks need to be updated while sorting the table? Thank you for any advice Tom Better to see so send to me if you like at dguille...

Displaying Image(RGB888 data ) (buffered data ,not from file) on a Dialog box
Hi, I want to Display the Picture on a dialog box I have the Image(RGB888) data Which is taken from the driver I want to display it on the window I tried with CreateBitmap(320,240,1,24,NULL); but it is not working How can i proceed Thanks See if this will help http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_Q94326.aspx#appliesto AliR. <darshan.tapdia@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1155227161.797014.51780@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Hi, > > I want to Display the Picture on a dialog box > > I have the Image(RGB888) data Which is taken from the driver > > I want ...

random pages
I have developed pages that randomly define a set of normal lung function data based on gender, age and height. I have applied formulas to this data simulate 5 classic lung function abnormalities (normal, restrictive, obstructive, mixed and early obstructive.) Currently the sheets that define the abnormal are named by one of the above lung abnormalities. I would like to present data from random pages in a work book to students and rather than have the pages named by the abnormality be named a simulated patient name. My questions. Can I have the name of a sheet set to equal data from to ...

Merging MS WORD data into an Excel file
Any suggestions here..??....I have monthly time sheets that ar completed in WORD. I receive them electronically and then transcrib the data (hours worked, time off, the reason for any absence assigne to a code) into an Excel spreadsheet for each employee. I am dealin with close to 90 staff doing this on a monthly basis, and so th workbook is fairly large and the transcribing seem never-ending...:):)......the Excel file, of course, is great fo compiling info on a monthly and a YTD basis.....but, I would like t automate (or at least, ease) the transfer of info from the individua WORD time sheets...

What table contains the data displayed in 'My Tasks' view?
MS Project Server 2007 Does anyone know what table contains the data displayed in My Tasks? -- JenGoSto Not sure which table it is, but when utilising the reporting db you can get this info of the EPM task user view. Hope this helps -- Marc Soester [MVP] http://www.i-pmo.com.au "JenStover" wrote: > MS Project Server 2007 > > Does anyone know what table contains the data displayed in My Tasks? > > > -- > JenGoSto I am trying to pull the My Task information for one or more resources for a specific period. I've used...

How Can I find and replace symbols in excel data ( white square)
I need any input or help Hi try: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany alawhizkid wrote: > I need any input or help ...

VBA Find a Replace
After standing the test for over a year, a problem with my VBA Find and Replace AddIns was indentified by a user in Moscow Russia yesterday. If you remember, the last problem identified and fixed was how to find text in the shape range of any shape located in the header/footer story ranges of a document. Through ignorance and lack of comprehensive testing, I failed to consider grouped shapes, individual shapes in a drawing canvass, and grouped shapes in a drawing canvass that are in a header\footer story range. By adding a new recursive sub-routine this issue is now also fixed...

Zeros if cell is blank
I would like to be able to select a portion of my spread sheet and then have a macro that would search every cell in the selected area: if the cell is blank I would want a ZERO to be placed in that cell but if the cell contains a number/text that cell would be left as is. Thanks You can record a macro when you do this: Select the range Edit|Goto (or hit F5 or ctrl-g)|Special|check blanks|ok type 0 and ctrl-enter to fill all those empty (really empty) cells with 0's. Or you could record a macro when you: select the range edit|replace what: (leave blank) with: 0 replace all Either o...

Random Distribution
I need to randomly order numbers from a list or range of consecutive whole numbers, such that each number is listed only once. Can this be done in excel using functions, formulas or whatever? I want to incorporate it into a spreadsheet with a macro to automatically generate the list and use it to randomly designate selected entries. "Rick via OfficeKB.com" wrote: > I need to randomly order numbers from a list or range of consecutive whole > numbers, such that each number is listed only once. Can this be done in > excel using functions, formulas or whatever? I want to...

Default Data Type for TXT and CSV files
Hi All, When I open a .csv or .txt file in excel the default data type is General (radio button). Is there a way in Excel to change that as Text for all the columns? Thanks in advance Narayanan Sankaranarayanan See one reply to one of your other posts. Narayanan Sankaranarayanan wrote: > > Hi All, > > When I open a .csv or .txt file in excel the default data type is General > (radio button). > Is there a way in Excel to change that as Text for all the columns? > > Thanks in advance > > Narayanan Sankaranarayanan -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Adding a comment to a formula-not a cell
I just went brain dead and can't remember the keystroke to add a comment to a formula, not the cell. Please help! TIA Do you mean =formula+N("This is a comment") Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Floridagal" wrote: > I just went brain dead and can't remember the keystroke to > add a comment to a formula, not the cell. > > Please help! > > TIA > Use the N =a2*a1+N("my wage+bonus-4 weekly loan repayments") Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:34:34 -0800, "Floridagal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Using Cell.Replace
Is there any way to make the What:="" be a variable? So if the variable = Test then the replace code would look for Test. Cells.Replace What:="", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlWhole, _ SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _ ReplaceFormat:=False x = Test sh.Cells.Replace(What:=x,.... Don't use quote marks on variables. "ordnance1" <ordnance1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:6DF8BCD6-440C-4443-88D6-99E7D4D2C389@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to make the What:="" b...

Use detailed data in one worksheet to create summary data as chart source
I need to export data from MS Access to Excel in order to create a chart. I can get the data into an Excel worksheet. However, this data needs to be summarized on a second worksheet. That summarized data then would be the source for a chart. My general thinking is to create an Excel template. The template would have the code necessary so that when a user exports data from Access to Excel, the following happens: 1) The 'Detail' worksheet in an instance of the template is populated with the Access data. This would occur via coding in my Access application. I already have this wor...