Random Conversion of alpha/numeric text with letter "e" to exponen

OS - w2003, office 2003, desktop XP Pro/ w2000 Pro

My company uses a six digit alpha - numeric string for customer account
numbers.

a few are all numeric, most are in the format: ##X###, where # = numeric and
X = an alpha character.

A few accounts, 101 out of 360, that contain an "e" as the alpha character
are converted to an exponential by Excel. the other 259 are not.  These 101
accounts where the first accounts created using "e", the subsequent 259
accounts are not converted by Excel.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on and how I can stop it?

Thanks,

--
Jim
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you insert an apostrophe (single quote) before the customer account
number, Excel will not perform any exponential conversions.
--
Gary's Student

"CrystalJim" wrote:

> OS - w2003, office 2003, desktop XP Pro/ w2000 Pro
>
> My company uses a six digit alpha - numeric string for customer account
> numbers.
>
> a few are all numeric, most are in the format: ##X###, where # = numeric and
> X = an alpha character.
>
> A few accounts, 101 out of 360, that contain an "e" as the alpha character
> are converted to an exponential by Excel. the other 259 are not.  These 101
> accounts where the first accounts created using "e", the subsequent 259
> accounts are not converted by Excel.
>
> Anyone have a clue as to what is going on and how I can stop it?
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Jim
0
GarysStudent (1572)
8/15/2006 4:30:02 PM
Understood.  However, an apostrophe does not work in the lookup table.  The
issue is, why does Excel treat these 101 values as exponential but not the
others?  What makes them special to Excel?

All values come from a SQL Server database/Table column whose datatype is
nvarchar(40). Yet these and only these are somehow seen as different from the
others.

Also, it happens every time one of these 101 account numbers, is imported
into an Excel spreadsheet.

--
CrystalJim

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

> If you insert an apostrophe (single quote) before the customer account
> number, Excel will not perform any exponential conversions.
> --
> Gary's Student
>

> "CrystalJim" wrote:
>
> > OS - w2003, office 2003, desktop XP Pro/ w2000 Pro
> >
> > My company uses a six digit alpha - numeric string for customer account
> > numbers.
> >
> > a few are all numeric, most are in the format: ##X###, where # = numeric and
> > X = an alpha character.
> >
> > A few accounts, 101 out of 360, that contain an "e" as the alpha character
> > are converted to an exponential by Excel. the other 259 are not.  These 101
> > accounts where the first accounts created using "e", the subsequent 259
> > accounts are not converted by Excel.
> >
> > Anyone have a clue as to what is going on and how I can stop it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > --
> > Jim
Excel thinks its "helping" you by performing the conversion.

The single quote should work in VLOOKUP().

I realize this may be distasteful, but the easiest solution may be to
re-define your customer ID's so they all start with a letter.
--
Gary's Student

"CrystalJim" wrote:

> Understood.  However, an apostrophe does not work in the lookup table.  The
> issue is, why does Excel treat these 101 values as exponential but not the
> others?  What makes them special to Excel?
>
> All values come from a SQL Server database/Table column whose datatype is
> nvarchar(40). Yet these and only these are somehow seen as different from the
> others.
>
> Also, it happens every time one of these 101 account numbers, is imported
> into an Excel spreadsheet.
>

> --
> CrystalJim
>

> "Gary''s Student" wrote:
>
> > If you insert an apostrophe (single quote) before the customer account
> > number, Excel will not perform any exponential conversions.
> > --
> > Gary's Student
> >

> > "CrystalJim" wrote:
> >
> > > OS - w2003, office 2003, desktop XP Pro/ w2000 Pro
> > >
> > > My company uses a six digit alpha - numeric string for customer account
> > > numbers.
> > >
> > > a few are all numeric, most are in the format: ##X###, where # = numeric and
> > > X = an alpha character.
> > >
> > > A few accounts, 101 out of 360, that contain an "e" as the alpha character
> > > are converted to an exponential by Excel. the other 259 are not.  These 101
> > > accounts where the first accounts created using "e", the subsequent 259
> > > accounts are not converted by Excel.
> > >
> > > Anyone have a clue as to what is going on and how I can stop it?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > --
> > > Jim
0
GarysStudent (1572)
8/15/2006 5:01:03 PM
We tried the quote - it did not work.
Changing the account number is not an option.

Why does Excel only convert some number though?  It should be converting all
of them, not just a select few.  What makes those it does convert unique?
Whay does Exce see them differently?

Why does 10e305 convert and 10e307 not?  (We don't have a 10e306.)

In fact all accounts 10e305 and lower convert, 10e307 and above do not.  All
of the time.

The create dates are random, in that some created withing the same time span
convert and some don't (not sure why they are not created sequentially).  I
do know that all of the converting dates where created before I started
working here, so my boss can't blame me:)

--
Jim

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

> Excel thinks its "helping" you by performing the conversion.
>
> The single quote should work in VLOOKUP().
>
> I realize this may be distasteful, but the easiest solution may be to
> re-define your customer ID's so they all start with a letter.
> --
> Gary's Student
>

> "CrystalJim" wrote:
>
> > Understood.  However, an apostrophe does not work in the lookup table.  The
> > issue is, why does Excel treat these 101 values as exponential but not the
> > others?  What makes them special to Excel?
> >
> > All values come from a SQL Server database/Table column whose datatype is
> > nvarchar(40). Yet these and only these are somehow seen as different from the
> > others.
> >
> > Also, it happens every time one of these 101 account numbers, is imported
> > into an Excel spreadsheet.
> >

> > --
> > CrystalJim
> >

> > "Gary''s Student" wrote:
> >
> > > If you insert an apostrophe (single quote) before the customer account
> > > number, Excel will not perform any exponential conversions.
> > > --
> > > Gary's Student

If you look at Excel's help for Specifications, you'll see this:

Feature                                                Maximum limit

Largest number allowed to be typed into a cell       9.99999999999999E307

so 10e307 is too large and excel knows it isn't a number.

I'm not sure why the apostrophe didn't work.  That makes it so excel will treat
your entry as text--not numbers.

If it's because you have a combination of text and numbers in the key column of
your lookup table, I would think it would be time well spent to make sure that
that lookup table column is nice--all text, no numbers.

--

Dave Peterson
0
CrystalJim wrote:
> My company uses a six digit alpha - numeric string for customer account
> numbers.  a few are all numeric, most are in the format: ##X###, where
> # = numeric and X = an alpha character.
> [....]
> The issue is, why does Excel treat these 101 values as exponential but
> not the others?  What makes them special to Excel?

In Excel 2003 (at least), the largest number that can be typed is
roughly 9.9999e307 [1].  So any of your account numbers of the form
99e306 and "smaller" will be interpreted as a number entered in
scientific notation.  I do not see any way to disable this automatic
interpretation other than by prefixing the data entry with an
apostrophe (') or by having the forethought to format the cell as Text
before entering the data.

-----
[1] See the Help page "Excel specifications and limits" > "Calculations
specifications".

0
joeu2004 (766)
8/15/2006 5:36:26 PM
Thanks, that makes sense about the number size.  Couldn't see the forest,
damn trees got in the way.

And thanks for the suggestion about the lookup table, I will have my boss
send me the workbook with the lookup spreadsheet and see if that is the
problem.

Thanks Dave and Gary's student, for taking the time to help, appreciate it.

Jim

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> If you look at Excel's help for Specifications, you'll see this:
>
> Feature                                                Maximum limit
>
> Largest number allowed to be typed into a cell       9.99999999999999E307
>
> so 10e307 is too large and excel knows it isn't a number.
>
> I'm not sure why the apostrophe didn't work.  That makes it so excel will treat
> your entry as text--not numbers.
>
> If it's because you have a combination of text and numbers in the key column of
> your lookup table, I would think it would be time well spent to make sure that
> that lookup table column is nice--all text, no numbers.
>

> CrystalJim wrote:
> >
> > We tried the quote - it did not work.
> > Changing the account number is not an option.
> >
> > Why does Excel only convert some number though?  It should be converting all
> > of them, not just a select few.  What makes those it does convert unique?
> > Whay does Exce see them differently?
> >
> > Why does 10e305 convert and 10e307 not?  (We don't have a 10e306.)
> >
> > In fact all accounts 10e305 and lower convert, 10e307 and above do not.  All
> > of the time.
> >
> > The create dates are random, in that some created withing the same time span
> > convert and some don't (not sure why they are not created sequentially).  I
> > do know that all of the converting dates where created before I started
> > working here, so my boss can't blame me:)
> >
> > --
> > Jim
> >
> > "Gary''s Student" wrote:
> >
> > > Excel thinks its "helping" you by performing the conversion.
> > >
> > > The single quote should work in VLOOKUP().
> > >
> > > I realize this may be distasteful, but the easiest solution may be to
> > > re-define your customer ID's so they all start with a letter.
> > > --
> > > Gary's Student

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Thanks for responding, Never though about the upper limit on the number, made
perfect sense once I thought about it.

Now to see if we can find a permanent solution, like changing these 101
account numbers.

Thanks again,

Jim

"joeu2004@hotmail.com" wrote:

> CrystalJim wrote:
> > My company uses a six digit alpha - numeric string for customer account
> > numbers.  a few are all numeric, most are in the format: ##X###, where
> > # = numeric and X = an alpha character.
> > [....]
> > The issue is, why does Excel treat these 101 values as exponential but
> > not the others?  What makes them special to Excel?
>
> In Excel 2003 (at least), the largest number that can be typed is
> roughly 9.9999e307 [1].  So any of your account numbers of the form
> 99e306 and "smaller" will be interpreted as a number entered in
> scientific notation.  I do not see any way to disable this automatic
> interpretation other than by prefixing the data entry with an
> apostrophe (') or by having the forethought to format the cell as Text
> before entering the data.
>
> -----
> [1] See the Help page "Excel specifications and limits" > "Calculations
> specifications".

greyed out auto text
Created custom toolbar in Word with menu, autotext and email button as directed in "Quick sales letters for e-mail" demo video, but when I click email button, new email message appears in Outlook but auto text choices are greyed out???? Any ideas?? ...

display a letter in a chart
hey there, i have a price series chart and i'm trying to dislay letters in it. eg: i have a column with a formula that returns either B for buy or S for short. is there a wa to have this Bs and Ss appearing on the chart right nex to my price series? thanks in adv. MA On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, ALVESM <ALVESM@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >i have a price series chart and i'm trying to dislay letters in it. eg: i >have a column with a formula that returns either B for buy or S for short. >is there a wa to have this Bs and Ss appearing o...

Linking Large Text Database to Excel
PROBLEM I am trying to find a way to decrease the file size of a document where I currently import data from text documents (which I have to convert to Excel format through a Tab Delimited conversion). Currently the file is around 20M and will most likely be shared and is a process that will be repeated every 3 months. I am totally ignorant when it come to working outside Excel (and my Macro skills are sub par :) Below is a background of the issue and with my current setup to give context to my problem. BACKGROUND The information comes from Bank Call Reports which I can downloa...

Moving a Text Box on a page
I am starting my third newsletter. Most pages have two text boxes side by side equidistance from the borders with a space in the middle between the two columns. This time I can't seem to use the up/down/left/right arrows to move my text boxes where I want to place them. Selecting the text box & dragging it is not satisfactory as the range is too large. The little vertical circles (top one green) connected by a vertical line are displayed when I click/select the text box I wish to move. But the text box won't move when I select the arrow keys. What am I doing wrong or no...

Alpha Five or Excell
Greetings, I am considering converting from Alpha Five to Access either through Excel or otherwise. can this be done and how. I will not convert if I have to rebuild 10,000 records. Thank you. You should be able to export the data either to Excel files or text files. Depending what's in the data, one or other of these may import more cleanly into Access. Unfortunately, only the data can be transferred. Anything in the way of forms and reports and other functionality will have to be re-created using Access's own tools. On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:05:53 -0800, "TeeTime" <...

Counting specific text in two columns.
I have two columns (a and B) which contain the following:- Column A:- Not_Chased, Regret, Stockist, Ordered, Chased, Pending, Lost, Opp_Log Column B:- List of countries (e.g. China, U.K. Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy, Czech). I would like to produce a matrix as following showing say Not-Chased for all the individual countries, Regret for all countries, Stockist for all countries… (see below) China Czech France Germany India Grand Totals LOST Not_Chased OPP_LOG ORDERED PENDING REGRET STOCKIST ...

Random Numbers not Random
When I create random numbers for an application with the following code, they do not appear to be truely random. Me.RandomNumber = Int(9 * Rnd + 1) ' Random Number 1-9 If I have two users setting side by side, they frequently get the same results when they start up Am I missing somthing? Any help would be appreciated -- Frank Wagner fwagner111@aol.com Frank, Have you tried a Randomize statement just before the RND? That should do it. -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job tha...

connect bindingSource to text object.
Hello. What is wrong of the following (the text has no data)? : Dim FBndDataTable As DataTable Dim FBndDataSource As BindingSource .... FBndDataSource = New BindingSource FBndDataSource.DataSource = DataTable .... Dim drv As DataRowView Dim dr As DataRow drv = FBndDataSource.AddNew() dr = drv.Row .... ' txtValue is TextBox. txtValue.DataBindings.Add("Text", bs, "query_id") Thanks :) Sorry. I shall try again : What is wrong of the following (the textBox has no data)? : Dim FBndDataTabl...

find text and copy selected rows from text and loop
Hi I'm need your expert help. In a worksheet I need to find the word "Filename" in column B, then cut rows until the next "Filename" word. I need this looping to start from the 2nd "Filename" word. Upon highlighting rows I need to cut selected rows and add this to a new worksheet. This needs to be done until all "Filename" words have been searched. I'm hoping this makes senses and that someone out there can help me. Many thanks Frederic Hi, Put this in a 'General' module and run it. It assumes the source data ...

Leading zeros with text #3
Hi, I need help on specifying the maximum length of characters contained in a cell. Additionally, once the length is specified, I need the data contained in the cell to fill the maximum allowable characters for the cell with leading zeros if the data does not satisfy the maximum length. i.e. if I have a name such as gray in a cell and the cell is only allowed to be 13 characters long, how do I get a return of 000000000gray If it's just a matter of formatting to look that way, go to cells, format, number, custom, '0000000000000' "ginzbeez" wrote: > Hi, > ...

Exchange server randomly asking random users to Authenticate randomly...
Has anyone had a problem like this where a user is in their Exchange mailbox using Outlook 2003 and the server prompts them for their credentials? If they hit cancel and exit out of Outlook and run it again it lets them into their mailbox. Thank you, Benjamin Pls make sure the outlook 2003 Client does not using Cache mode If is ,pls clearn this option -- Jammy "Benjamin Chan" <bchan[pleasenospam]@controlproductsinc.com> ���g��l��s�D :#BxdizrtEHA.3972@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Has anyone had a problem like this where a user is in their Exchange mailbox > using Outlo...

Email Customize Form letter for Invoices
We are using GP 9.0 and have Adobe to support pdf of documents to be emailed from GP. This all works BUT the standard GP file name for the attached pdf and the standard email subject line and email body language are all a problem. We are currently forced to retype every email prior to sending. We checked with microsoft and they can not figure out how to adjust this language for new invoice emails. QUESTION: Does anyone know how / where one can reset the stock email format for GP? I would think that everyone would prefer to have a "Customized-Stock" email. ie: "Thank...

Generating Correlated Random Values in Excel
Hi Mike, Thanks so much for your advice. I think that I have it figured out, but can you confirm this for me? I can't afford to screw this up. If mean(inflation) = .031 stdev(inflation) = .047 mean(stock return) = .106 stdev(stock return) = .204 Column Headers: A B C D 1 Z1 Z2 Inflation Stock Return Data Generation Formulas A2 =NORMINV(RAND(),0,1) B2 =NORMINV(RAND(),0,1) C2 =0.031+0.047*A2 D2 =0.106+0.204*(A2*rho+B2*(1-rho^2)^0.5) Are these formulas correct to generate the random data? Particularly cell D2. Does this give me a complete value that t...

SBS 2008, Exchange 2007
Hi All, I dont have massses amount of time to try and investigate this and already have spent time doing this. I will outline what I am trying to achieve. The server is SBS 2008. the client has one domain name: exampledomain1.co.uk and the second domain name: exampledomain2.co.uk The server was originally setup to receive for exampledomain1.co.uk. the client recently purchased exampledomain2.co.uk we had no prior knowledge this additonal domain was going to be purchased at time of SBS 2008 Install. They layout of what I would like to achieve: most users will have there ...

unexpected conversion trouble

random pages
I have developed pages that randomly define a set of normal lung function data based on gender, age and height. I have applied formulas to this data simulate 5 classic lung function abnormalities (normal, restrictive, obstructive, mixed and early obstructive.) Currently the sheets that define the abnormal are named by one of the above lung abnormalities. I would like to present data from random pages in a work book to students and rather than have the pages named by the abnormality be named a simulated patient name. My questions. Can I have the name of a sheet set to equal data from to ...

How do you shrink a text box keeping font sizes relative to origin
I am trying to shrink text boxes in Publisher, keeping all the different font sizes in those text boxes relative....meaning keeping larger fonts larger and smaller fonts smaller, but shrinking each font relative as I shrink the text box.........help! Format, Auotfit text, shrink text on overflow. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "tworland" <tworland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED698008-D7BF-42D7-8F1A-6C952919A744@microsoft.com... >I am trying to shrink text boxes in Publisher,...

Collection Letter!!!
Hello All, Can any one tell me How can I get Collection Letter list in Letter Writing Assistant. I'm using GP 10.0. In Letter Writing Assistant it is not showing the Collection. All others (Customer, Vendor etc) are available. Plz help. Try the following: To grant regular security to a letter, follow these steps: 1. On the Reports menu, click Letter Writing Assistant to open the Letter Writing Assistant. 2. On the Tools menu, click Setup, click System, and then click Security. 3. In the Product box, click Microsoft Dynamics GP, click Reports in the Type box, and then click Sale...

Shortcut to copy text from 1 text box in a label to all labels?
When creating name tag labels, is there a shortcut to copy the text from one text box to the same text box in all labels in the document? Are you manually entering the names? Setup a data base (list in Publisher) with the names that are going to be on the tag and use mail merge. That way you only need to enter the text once. Help here for 2007: Create a mail merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HP012330501033.aspx 2003 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH010504371033.aspx -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ddlou" <ddlou@discussions....

bad e-mail addresses?
Is there a way to disable or prevent exchange server from checking the e-mail format? I have an e-mail address that I send to: xxx.@xxx.com (yes that mailbox really has a dot before the @ sign) but exchange gives me the following message... any way around this? xxx.@xxx.com on 8/9/2004 11:09 AM The format of the e-mail address is incorrect. Check the address, look up the recipient in the Address Book, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address. <mail.xxx.com #5.1.3> Thanks in advance! Hi - this is an Outlook newsgroup - I suggest you post in an Exc...

file conversion
i have an old spreadsheet program called supercalc. is the anyway to convert this over to excel? Hi if you still have the old application this may be able to save your file as *csv or ASCII file? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany lexmanc21 wrote: > i have an old spreadsheet program called supercalc. > is the anyway to convert this over to excel? I've never tried it, as I don't have any supercalc files........but you might consider trying to convert it through MSWord, and then into Excel........might be able to only get data without formulas anyway.......... Vaya c...

Insert Cell Text Into Chart
I have a cell of text(on sheet 1) that I want to paste into the top portion of a chart (on sheet 2) - I have done this before, but I cannot remember how - HELP! Hi insert a textbox, select this textbox and enter the equation sign '='. Now select your cell on sheet 1 and hit ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Karen wrote: > I have a cell of text(on sheet 1) that I want to paste > into the top portion of a chart (on sheet 2) - I have done > this before, but I cannot remember how - HELP! Thank you for your help - I'm sorry, maybe I didn't explain it ...

ODBC Errors after XP Conversion
I am attempting to convert An Access97 application to XP that uses one .mdb for forms, queries, etc., another for database, plus accesses tables on an AS/400 via ODBC. After running the conversion, I am able to access the .mdb data, but not the AS/400 data (neither in application or in development mode). I get 'ODBC - connection to AS400- DSN failed. (Error 3151)' I've tried several times to recreate new DSN with various parms, but can't get around this. Any help? Thanks, Ted ...

Message text is now blank???
I suddenly find that the text of messages no longer appears: the message window is completely blank. This includes messages that I have already read successfully. The source of the message shows <body></body> or some such markup. I reduced the security prior to this; I remember the window had three options, but I can't find the window again. Certainly not in Security. I installed the new Outlook Junk e-mail filter (KB892236) just prior to problem appearing, but this appears to be unrelated: new email appears, and only some is treated as junk. TIA ...

Announcement: HTTPMP
HTTPMP is MAPI transport service provider used to access HTTP mail service accounts (commonly Hotmail). HTTPMP could be used with MAPI compatible client applications (such as Microsoft Office Outlook) to send/receive Hotmail messages. Supported features 1. Sending/receiving messages 2. MIME encoded messages 3. HTML, RTF and text formatted message body 4. Messages with attachments 5. LAN and dial-up mail service account access and polling 6. Auto dial and auto hang-up HTTP mail service account could be accessed in many ways: HTTP mail web interface, Microsoft Outlook Express and Microsoft Off...