RAND and only 1 decimal

I want to make a random number in a cell with the RAND function and then use
it in a calculation.  Right now it goes to several decimal place and I need
it to only have one decimal in the calculation.

How can I do this?

Thanks for your help.

0
SAC
1/30/2010 2:12:52 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=ROUND(RAND(),1)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"SAC" <sac@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I want to make a random number in a cell with the RAND function and then
>use it in a calculation.  Right now it goes to several decimal place and I
>need it to only have one decimal in the calculation.
>
> How can I do this?
>
> Thanks for your help.

0
Niek
1/30/2010 2:48:30 PM
Thanks!

Not quite familiar with Excel functions.

I appreciate it.

"Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> =ROUND(RAND(),1)
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Niek Otten
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "SAC" <sac@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>I want to make a random number in a cell with the RAND function and then
>>use it in a calculation.  Right now it goes to several decimal place and I
>>need it to only have one decimal in the calculation.
>>
>> How can I do this?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.

0
SAC
1/30/2010 3:02:21 PM
"SAC" <sac@somewhere.com> wrote:
> I want to make a random number in a cell with the
> RAND function and then use it in a calculation.
> Right now it goes to several decimal place and I
> need it to only have one decimal in the calculation.
> How can I do this?

Ostensibly, ROUNDDOWN(RAND(),1).  However, that might not be the right thing
to for your purposes.

That would be the right thing to do if you are trying to select a random
factor from the following list of ten:  0.0, 0.1, 0.2,..., 0.9.

(Note that I used ROUNDDOWN, not ROUND.  That preserves the expectation that
RAND returns a result from and including zero up to but excluding one.  That
expectation is often critical to the use of RAND in most formulas.  If you
use ROUND instead, you are effectively selecting from a list of 11, to wit:
0.0, 0.1, 0.2,..., 1.0.)

But I wonder if you are really using RAND() as a factor in some larger
expression, and you wish the result of the entire expression to be limited
to one decimal place.  In that case, you probably want to round (or round
down) the result of the entire expression.  For example:

=ROUND(A1 + A2*RAND(), 1)

or at least

=A1 + ROUND(A2*RAND(),1)

The timing of when to round (or round down) can have a major impact on the
outcome, depending the magnitude of numbers.  Consider the example where A2
is 33 and RAND() returns about 0.15.

1. A2*ROUND(RAND(),1) is 6.6.
2. A2*ROUNDDOWN(RAND(),1) is 3.3.
3. ROUND(A2*RAND(),1) is 5.0.

The point is:  you will get a more robust range of A2*RAND() when you delay
rounding as opposed to rounding (down) RAND first.

0
Joe
1/30/2010 4:14:49 PM
Another option might be to divide an integer by 10.

=RANDBETWEEN(0,100) / 10

For 0.0 to 10.0

= = = = = = =
HTH
Dana DeLouis

On 1/30/10 9:12 AM, SAC wrote:
> I want to make a random number in a cell with the RAND function and then
> use it in a calculation. Right now it goes to several decimal place and
> I need it to only have one decimal in the calculation.
>
> How can I do this?
>
> Thanks for your help.
0
Dana
1/30/2010 4:24:07 PM
>=ROUND(RAND(),1)

That could possibly return a result of 1 if RAND() = something like
0.9999999999999999.

Maybe something like this:

=TRUNC(RAND(),1)

But that can also return a result of 0. Is 0 a valid number for your
application?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

I wrote:
> Consider the example where A2 is 33 and RAND()
> returns about 0.15.
[....]
> The point is:  you will get a more robust range
> of A2*RAND() when you delay rounding as opposed
> to rounding (down) RAND first.

To clarify, if you do A2*ROUND(RAND(),1), you are limiting the result of the
entire expression to 0, 3.3, 6.6, 9.9, 13.2, 16.5, 19.8, 23.1, 26.4, 29.7
and 33.

With ROUND(A2*RAND(),1), the result will be any of 331 values from 0.0, 0.1,
0.2,..., 32.8, 32.9 and 33.0.  That is usually what we want.

>> I want to make a random number in a cell with the
>> RAND function and then use it in a calculation.
>> Right now it goes to several decimal place and I
>> need it to only have one decimal in the calculation.
>> How can I do this?
>
> Ostensibly, ROUNDDOWN(RAND(),1).  However, that might not be the right
> thing to for your purposes.
>
> That would be the right thing to do if you are trying to select a random
> factor from the following list of ten:  0.0, 0.1, 0.2,..., 0.9.
>
> (Note that I used ROUNDDOWN, not ROUND.  That preserves the expectation
> that RAND returns a result from and including zero up to but excluding
> one.  That expectation is often critical to the use of RAND in most
> formulas.  If you use ROUND instead, you are effectively selecting from a
> list of 11, to wit: 0.0, 0.1, 0.2,..., 1.0.)
>
> But I wonder if you are really using RAND() as a factor in some larger
> expression, and you wish the result of the entire expression to be limited
> to one decimal place.  In that case, you probably want to round (or round
> down) the result of the entire expression.  For example:
>
> =ROUND(A1 + A2*RAND(), 1)
>
> or at least
>
> =A1 + ROUND(A2*RAND(),1)
>
> The timing of when to round (or round down) can have a major impact on the
> outcome, depending the magnitude of numbers.  Consider the example where
> A2 is 33 and RAND() returns about 0.15.
>
> 1. A2*ROUND(RAND(),1) is 6.6.
> 2. A2*ROUNDDOWN(RAND(),1) is 3.3.
> 3. ROUND(A2*RAND(),1) is 5.0.
>
> The point is:  you will get a more robust range of A2*RAND() when you
> delay rounding as opposed to rounding (down) RAND first.

0
Joe
1/30/2010 4:33:39 PM
Hello,

I suggest to use my UDF RndDecPlace:
http://sulprobil.com/html/rnddecplace.html

You can define easily whether to start with 0.0 or 0.1 and whether to
stop with 0.9 or 1.0...

Regards,
Bernd
0
Bernd
1/31/2010 12:52:03 AM
Thanks!
"T. Valko" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >=ROUND(RAND(),1)
>
> That could possibly return a result of 1 if RAND() = something like
> 0.9999999999999999.
>
> Maybe something like this:
>
> =TRUNC(RAND(),1)
>
> But that can also return a result of 0. Is 0 a valid number for your
> application?
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> =ROUND(RAND(),1)
>>
>> --
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Niek Otten
>> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>
>> "SAC" <sac@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>>I want to make a random number in a cell with the RAND function and then
>>>use it in a calculation.  Right now it goes to several decimal place and
>>>I need it to only have one decimal in the calculation.
>>>
>>> How can I do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.

0
SAC
2/2/2010 5:29:39 PM
Wow!  Thanks, Joe.

>I wrote:
>> Consider the example where A2 is 33 and RAND()
>> returns about 0.15.
> [....]
>> The point is:  you will get a more robust range
>> of A2*RAND() when you delay rounding as opposed
>> to rounding (down) RAND first.
>
> To clarify, if you do A2*ROUND(RAND(),1), you are limiting the result of
> the entire expression to 0, 3.3, 6.6, 9.9, 13.2, 16.5, 19.8, 23.1, 26.4,
> 29.7 and 33.
>
> With ROUND(A2*RAND(),1), the result will be any of 331 values from 0.0,
> 0.1, 0.2,..., 32.8, 32.9 and 33.0.  That is usually what we want.

2/2/2010 5:29:53 PM
Good idea.  Thanks.
"Dana DeLouis" <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Another option might be to divide an integer by 10.
>
> =RANDBETWEEN(0,100) / 10
>
> For 0.0 to 10.0
>
> = = = = = = =
> HTH
> Dana DeLouis
>

> On 1/30/10 9:12 AM, SAC wrote:
>> I want to make a random number in a cell with the RAND function and then
>> use it in a calculation. Right now it goes to several decimal place and
>> I need it to only have one decimal in the calculation.
>>
>> How can I do this?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.

0
SAC
2/2/2010 5:30:12 PM
OK, thanks.

"Bernd P" <bplumhoff@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I suggest to use my UDF RndDecPlace:
> http://sulprobil.com/html/rnddecplace.html
>
> You can define easily whether to start with 0.0 or 0.1 and whether to
> stop with 0.9 or 1.0...
>
> Regards,
> Bernd

0
SAC
2/2/2010 5:30:26 PM
You're welcome!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

> Thanks!
> "T. Valko" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >=ROUND(RAND(),1)
>>
>> That could possibly return a result of 1 if RAND() = something like
>> 0.9999999999999999.
>>
>> Maybe something like this:
>>
>> =TRUNC(RAND(),1)
>>
>> But that can also return a result of 0. Is 0 a valid number for your
>> application?
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>>> =ROUND(RAND(),1)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Niek Otten
>>> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>>
>>> "SAC" <sac@somewhere.com> wrote in message

How to assign Spit to 1-origined array?
Currently, I use Split as follows: Dim w, mylist as string w = Split(mylist) That creates an array with the first index (LBound) of zero. Is there a straight-forward to cause the first index to be one? (I don't know the number of "words" in mylist a priori.) I am using Excel 2003 SP3 with VBA 6.5.1024. No, Split is unusual in that it **always** returns a zero-based array even if you use "Option Base 1" to force the lower bound of arrays to be one. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Joe User" <joeu2004> wrote in message news:e2JRToChKH...

Office X to 1.1.2
I'm using Office X, which I upgraded from Word and Excel 98. I have all the original cds and copies of invoices. I'm trying to update to 10.1.2 and ultimately to 10.1.5. The installer won't work. When I installed the original 98 version, I made a typo when entering my last name. So that was carried forward to OS X. Now I'm running Panther, and my name is entered correctly in that. Could that be the reason the installer doesn't work? I can't think of anything else. BTW, is it really worth updating to 10.1.5. What are the advantages? Thanks very much. In article <...

How do I set up Outlook 2002 SP-1 to use a dial up connection?
I just installed Office 2002 on my home computer. When I trie dto run Outlook, it tries to connect to an Exchange Server, even though I've only got a dial up connection. Then, wheen I tell it to work Off line, it tells me that the outlook.ost file cannot be accessed. Then it quits, and I can't get in to do any setup. Seems to me that you should be configuring Outlook to access an Internet Mail Account, not Exchange Server. How did you manage to set up Outlook to look for an Exchange Server? You've left out some important information. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "...

Help with Rand
I am trying to randomly generate a series of numbers based on another series of numbers. If i have the numbers 1 to 15 sequentially in A1 to A15, then how do i randomly generate one of these numbers in C1. Currently i am trying - =RAND()*A1:A15, but this is not working. The numbers in A1:A15 may well change and this is why i don't want to simply use =RAND()*15 "Jack" wrote: > If i have the numbers 1 to 15 sequentially in > A1 to A15, then how do i randomly generate > one of these numbers in C1. =OFFSET(A1,RAND()*COUNT(A1:A15),0) Thanks very much for the prompt rep...

1.3 complete fix/enhancement list?
We got our 1.3 today and the list of fixes/enhancements in the .txt file on the CD seems pretty small compared to some things I have read on some re-sellers sites. Can anyone supply us with a FULL list of fixes/enhancements as is seems every time there is an update there are always some things that go unmentioned and undocumented in help files. I just don't want any 'surprises' after install. Customer Source does not have this info available... yet.. Thanks in advance for any help. ...

LeadSourceCode Virtual mapping (CRM 1.0)
Hello.. I am customizing and am trying to map a the Lead Source field from a Lead into corresponding fields on a Contact and Opportunity. In mapping the fields in the Deployment Manager I have come across a problem: Although the attribute LeadSourceCodename (Type Virtual) is available on the Opportunity form, it is not available on the Lead form. On the Lead form only leadsourcecode (Type picklist) exists. Because of this, the values are being passed incorrectly. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Shelley ...

Sum dependant on '1' value in another column
Hi, Let's say I have a '1' or nothing in column 'L' and a time in seconds in column 'B'. The '1' means the time is a legitimate one. Can I do a sum of all the 'legitimate' times in column 'B' based on whether there is a corresponding '1' in column 'L'? Is there a formula that will allow me to do that? Sorry for the ignorance of the question but it is late and I am struggling to make this spreadsheet work for me. Thanks in advance, Dave Hi DL, Look at the SUMIF function in Excel help. Try: =SUMIF(L1:L10...

Recording incidences of results of a RAND() fucntion.
I have a random function which generates an integer from 1-9 with eac screen refresh. Would I be able to tally how many times each number was generated? Wha I imagined was setting up an additional COL 'Results' and then trying t increment an -if [Cell Ref of Rand Function]=1 then x (cell containing tally o incidence of result 1) =x+1 if [Cell Ref of Rand Function]=2 then x (cell containing tally o incidence of result 2) =x+1 - etc. etc. style argument. Thus I could see how often a number was picked by th RAND. Is this possible, and how might I do it? Any comments gratefull re...

12.1.1 will not install at all
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Running 10.5.4, and I have installed 12.1.1 both through Auto Update and with a manual download from this site. Every time the installer confirms that the software was installed successfully, but when I check the version in any of the Office apps it tells me I'm still at 12.1.0, and the AutoUpdate when run continues to say that 12.1.1 needs to be installed. I've "installed" 12.1.1 at least half a dozen times, each supposedly successfully, and yet, no update. Any ideas? Thanks! "KJ239HBC@officefo...

CRM 1.2 Received today
Just been informed our copy of 1.2 has been received today lucky. so does it come later for customers? hurry and test it out! I heard it uninstalls 1.0 and then reinstalls with 1.2, hahaha..........keep us updated on your beta testing! -Gary "John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in message news:exmsGGevDHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Just been informed our copy of 1.2 has been received today > > ...

RAND()
How do I Stop RAND() recalculating each time I open spreadsheet You can't, you can copy and paste the formulas as values when you are done or you can set calculation to manual and recalculate using F9. If you do the latter you have to remember that you turned automatic off when you work with other formulas -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "ScottC" <ScottC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C22BF031-27C4-4A1B-B1BE-C5FF67542560@microsoft.com... > How do I Stop RAND() recalculating each time I open spreadsheet Convert it to values??? select your range edi...

RMS 1.2 and Quickbooks
I have a client who wishes to intregrte RMS 1.2 with quickbooks. I have read that this is possible with RMS, but I've not seen any documentation on this. Can anyone who has done this answer these questions? 1) Where can I find documentation for doing this? 2) is this a true 'integration'? i.e. is data updated real time as changes are made in both RMS and quickbooks? Or is this more of an import/export process? 3) Related to #2 above, is it a 2-way integration, or more quickbooks just pulling data from RMS? Thanks in advance! 1) See the "Integrateing With Accounti...

Multiple Meeting Invites
Hi, Any suggestions on how I can do this in Outlook: I have to interview 200 people in our company. I have 1 hour booking slots to fill. I would like to send a message to people saying choose one meeting slot that suits you and then once they have chosen it block it out so that others can't choose the slot but can see the remaining options. I guess this is complicated but maybe someone has an answers or knows of some add-in? Thanks for any suggestions, Paul ...

rand()
I have this peace of the code: char tmp1[19], tmp2[19], tmp3[19]; itoa(rand(), tmp1, sizeof(tmp1)); itoa(rand(), tmp2, sizeof(tmp2)); itoa(rand(), tmp3, sizeof(tmp3)); The output is: tmp1 = 23; tmp2 = 2d2i; tmp3 = ha7; The output is allways the same. :( Also, I don't understand how conversion from int into char[] can be "2d2i" or "ha7" ?!? "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net> wrote in message news:OW36#FHgFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > > I have this peace of the code: > > char tmp1[19], tmp2[19], tmp3[19]; > itoa(rand(), tmp1, s...

Getting RAND() value but NOT function?!?
Hi everyone, Say I am using a linear term such as " b * X "; where "b" is a parameter while "X" is a variable... Now, assume that "b" is RAND() value and assume I am using an excel optimizer. When I run the optimizer, it complains that the problem doesn't satisfy linearity conditions; because RAND() is a function so it turns "b * X" to become non-linear!!! I tried to go around this by creating another cell which copy and value-paste the RAND() value into it. It solves the problem, but now I have different problem: when RAND() value is ...

rand() on order by
Hi All, select top 5 * from TableA WHERE status = 1 Order By abs(columnA - (rand()*1000)) asc Someone wrote the above query to get random record based on weight(ColumnA) of their record. But I don't understand the order by clause clearly. Rand() on order by returns same value across all selected record? or is different across each records? If it has same value, then there is no reason that should be included in order by clause i guess. order by columnA is good enough. correct? Can you help me on this matter? I really need to know how it works on order by clause. Th...

help with lookup formula (SHEET 1 attatched)
I need to make a formula using a lookup. The first spreadsheet is a inventory (ALO INVENTORY JP). The second (P&G 103) is a chart tha tells number of gallons of alcohol per foot/inch/fraction. On ALO INVENTORY JP I insert the # of feet, inches, and the fraction i cells R5 and T5. I want these numbers to lookup the number of gallon off of the P&G 103 worksheet. For example: P&G 103 (on inventory sheet) is 26ft 4 1/2 inches, i should look-up to be 34572 gal. for the 26'4" and 55 gal. for the 1/2" These two numbers should be added together and multiplied by the numbe ...

CONVERTING 1-2-3 WORKBOOKS
HOW CAN I CONVERT LOTUS 1-2-3 WORKBOOKS TO EXCEL WITHOUT HAVING TO OPEN THE FILE IN LOTUS AND THEN SAVING AS EXCEL FILE? I HAVE MANY FILES TO CONVERT TO EXCEL AND IT WOULD TAKE TOO MUCH TIME TO CHANGE FORMAT BY SAVING. IS THERE ANY WAY OUT. THANKS Depends on the file extension of the files. If they are .wk4, you can open them in Excel without any interferance. If they are .123, you will have to save as wk4 or excel format "LIO2004" <LIONEL@PRTC.NET> wrote in message news:75b501c47659$007bb250$a301280a@phx.gbl... : HOW CAN I CONVERT LOTUS 1-2-3 WORKBOOKS TO EXCEL WIT...

rand worksheet function
Hi This function suddenly started producing negative results. The worksheet function description says that they should be between 0 and 1. The average of 12 randomly generated numbers in my worksheet is around 4 rather than around 6. Has anyone experienced this problem or have any idea why it would happen? I have a screen shot that shows the formula in the cell is simply =rand() and the value showing in the cell is -0.23148. TIA Wayne Wayne Burrows wrote... >This function suddenly started producing negative results. > >The worksheet function description says that they should b...

1.2 Proxy Dll and the .NET Framework 1.0
Is the version 1.0 Microsoft.CRM.Proxy.dll compatible with MS CRM 1.2 ? I've got an application using the CRM proxy running on the .NET Framework 1.0. I want to know what steps I need to take to upgrade the application to CRM 1.2. If the 1.2 proxy is required (which I assume it is) then I'll need to recompile the application - however from what I understand the proxy is only built for the 1.1 Framework. Can anybody confirm this? (I don't see any reason why Microsoft doesn't suppy a 1.2 proxy for the 1.0 Framework?!). Thanks a million, Anil Anil, I believe you should be ab...

USB Issue with WinXP?
I have a bit of a problem with WinXP telling me that one of my USB devices would operate faster if it was connected to a Hi-Speed USB 2 port. But it does not ID the device in question. How do I figure out which device it is referring to? It does not happen all the time, maybe once or twice a day, so it's hard to pin-point. I've attached screen copies of the messages, if that will help ID the source. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Charliec From: <charliec@email.com> | I have a bit of a problem with WinXP telling me that one of my USB | devices would ope...

1 Cell 2 Values?
Hello All, Is it possible in excel to have it return two values in one cell separated by a comma and spaces? For example I want it to count the number of times in a month the value was positive and the number of times a value was negative and in the cell I want it to show A1: +, - Is this possible? Thanks to all, Shhhh Shhhh wrote... >Is it possible in excel to have it return two values in one cell separated >by a comma and spaces? > >For example I want it to count the number of times in a month the value was >positive and the number of times a value was negative a...

Moving from 2 domain controllers to 1 with exchange 2003 in the m
Help!! I would like to demote one domain controller of two leaving me with only one domain controller. The problem is i have Exchange 2003 in the domain which is not necessarily a problem. I am concerned that by demoting the backup domain server that there will be a problem with connectivity with exchange. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Please let me know. Note: the primary domain controller does the Global cataloging and config so this should be not problem right? Hi Rox, AD doesn't really have PDC and BDC like earlier versions of windows. You can certainly dem...

=?iso-8859-1?B?VEhFIEdSRUFURVNUIE5FV1MgRVZFUiAhILC6pPgsuLgs+KS6sGCwuqT4sLqk+Cy4uCz4pLqwYLC6pPiwuqT4LLi4LPikurBgsLqk+LC6pPgsuLgs+KS6sGCwuqT4sLqk+Cy4uCz4pLqwYLC6pPiwuqT4LLi4LPikurBgsLqk+LC6pPgsuLgs+KS6s
http://www.print-it-011.blogspot.com << The Greatest News Ever ! This has nothing to do with vb. You're an asshole. ...

Any new solutions for 10.1.6 update problems
Everyone here runs Office X/Mac OS 10.3.6 and had (at least) the PowerPoint file-opening problems (PowerPoint cannot read..., etc.) Anything new - besides the solution of going back down to 10.1.5. It's been a couple of weeks. Thanks. Hi, I'm using 10.3.6 with PowerPoint and am not experiencing file opening troubles with PowerPoint. What happens exactly when you try to open files? Have you done any troubleshooting, such as running Disk Utility to repair permissions or running DiskWarrior to repair your operating system? -Jim Gordon Mac MVP All responses should be made to th...