Question about Paste Special

Hi, I have a problem sometimes with the paste special options when goin
from one excel workbook to another.  For example, sometimes when I cop
data from one workbook and then paste special into another, I get th
options that include: All, formulas, values, formats, has the option t
transpose the data and paste link among other options.  And the
sometimes I try and paste data to another workbook and I end up th
paste special options: Bitmap Image Object, picture, bitmap, and I als
lose the ability to paste link.  Well you can do it, but it puts it i
as an object.

What I want is the first paste special option I described.  Is there
setting to change?  The data is nothing special I'm usually copyin
over, just normal excel entries.

Thanks in advance

|Filename: Paste_2a.gif
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5084

Mike100
Mike1000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3670
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56437

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Mike

The second scenario will occur if you have two distinct sessions of Excel open.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:52:44 -0400, Mike1000
<Mike1000.2bglm5_1153760408.16@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi, I have a problem sometimes with the paste special options when going
>from one excel workbook to another.  For example, sometimes when I copy
>data from one workbook and then paste special into another, I get the
>options that include: All, formulas, values, formats, has the option to
>transpose the data and paste link among other options.  And then
>sometimes I try and paste data to another workbook and I end up the
>paste special options: Bitmap Image Object, picture, bitmap, and I also
>lose the ability to paste link.  Well you can do it, but it puts it in
>as an object.
>
>What I want is the first paste special option I described.  Is there a
>setting to change?  The data is nothing special I'm usually copying
>over, just normal excel entries.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>

>+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|Filename: Paste_2a.gif                                             |
>|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5084     |
>+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

0
Gord
7/24/2006 6:57:03 PM
Hi, thanks for the response.

I'm sorry I don't understand, but what is considered a distinct
session?

For example right now I opened File A, opened File B.  I also just
started a 3rd file(no file name, new workbook).  All in all, I have 3
distinct? files opened.  For some reason when I try and copy data from
File A and Paste special into my new workbook, I get the options in the
second scenario I described, but when I copy data from File B and paste
special into my new workbook, I get the first scenario I described.

Is there a way I can avoid this, or find some consistency?

Thanks in advance.

--
Mike1000
Mike1000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36701

If you make sure that you open fileB in the same instance of excel as fileA,
you'll be ok.

So close everything but fileA.
Then File|Open FileB.

And then do your copy|paste special.

===
Sometimes windows/excel can get confused when you're opening a workbook by
double clicking on it in windows explorer.  It won't see the already running
instance of excel, so it'll just start a second instance of excel and open the
file in that.

If you want to change this behavior, sometimes one of these works:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Mike1000 wrote:

> Hi, thanks for the response.
>
> I'm sorry I don't understand, but what is considered a distinct
> session?
>
> For example right now I opened File A, opened File B.  I also just
> started a 3rd file(no file name, new workbook).  All in all, I have 3
> distinct? files opened.  For some reason when I try and copy data from
> File A and Paste special into my new workbook, I get the options in the
> second scenario I described, but when I copy data from File B and paste
> special into my new workbook, I get the first scenario I described.
>
> Is there a way I can avoid this, or find some consistency?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Mike1000
> Mike1000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36701
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=564372

--

Dave Peterson
0

"distinct" sessions means Excel is loaded twice.

Not just multiple files, but multiple Excels.

If you close out Excel, do all workbooks close?

Gord

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:44:22 -0400, Mike1000
<Mike1000.2bgt95_1153770307.3838@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi, thanks for the response.
>
>I'm sorry I don't understand, but what is considered a distinct
>session?
>
>For example right now I opened File A, opened File B.  I also just
>started a 3rd file(no file name, new workbook).  All in all, I have 3
>distinct? files opened.  For some reason when I try and copy data from
>File A and Paste special into my new workbook, I get the options in the
>second scenario I described, but when I copy data from File B and paste
>special into my new workbook, I get the first scenario I described.
>
>Is there a way I can avoid this, or find some consistency?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
0
Gord
7/24/2006 8:17:35 PM
Thanks to both of you.

Yes, simply closing them then re-opening them solved the problem.  I'
also going to follow your instructions.

After closing them and re-opening the files, I got the first scenario
gave, which is what I wanted.  Same 2 files, it just worked this time.
Closing one down did close both files.  I'm assuming that means bot
workbooks were being considered one distinct instance.

I didn't try closing them all down before, but if they didn't all clos
together, that would mean 2 or more distinct excel instances?

I think I understand now that it isn't a excel "setting" per se, bu
just an excel quirk.  Thats what I wanted to ultimately know.

Thanks to both again

--
Mike100
Mike1000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3670
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56437

It easier just to look under Window (on the worksheet menu bar).  If you see
your workbooks listed at the bottom of that dropdown, they're open in the single
instance.

Mike1000 wrote:

> Thanks to both of you.
>
> Yes, simply closing them then re-opening them solved the problem.  I'm
> also going to follow your instructions.
>
> After closing them and re-opening the files, I got the first scenario I
> gave, which is what I wanted.  Same 2 files, it just worked this time.
> Closing one down did close both files.  I'm assuming that means both
> workbooks were being considered one distinct instance.
>
> I didn't try closing them all down before, but if they didn't all close
> together, that would mean 2 or more distinct excel instances?
>
> I think I understand now that it isn't a excel "setting" per se, but
> just an excel quirk.  Thats what I wanted to ultimately know.
>
> Thanks to both again.
>
> --
> Mike1000
> Mike1000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36701
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=564372

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
7/24/2006 10:12:39 PM
Mike

Dave employed a better description than I did.

"Instance" rather than "distinct".

If you closed Excel and one or more files remained open, this would indicate you
had more than one instance of Excel running.

Gord

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:00:06 -0400, Mike1000
<Mike1000.2bgwq5_1153774808.3619@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>Thanks to both of you.
>
>Yes, simply closing them then re-opening them solved the problem.  I'm
>also going to follow your instructions.
>
>After closing them and re-opening the files, I got the first scenario I
>gave, which is what I wanted.  Same 2 files, it just worked this time.
>Closing one down did close both files.  I'm assuming that means both
>workbooks were being considered one distinct instance.
>
>I didn't try closing them all down before, but if they didn't all close
>together, that would mean 2 or more distinct excel instances?
>
>I think I understand now that it isn't a excel "setting" per se, but
>just an excel quirk.  Thats what I wanted to ultimately know.
>
>Thanks to both again.

0
Gord

Backup question

Problem cut-n-paste function
I'm having a bizarre problem cut-n-pasting a very simple calculation (ie = A1 � B1) in C1 down the column (ie C2 to Cn). When I cut-n-paste the function in C1, value that displays is the same as the source cell. If I click on the target cell, the correct cells are highlighted and if I hit the enter button, the formula calculates as expected. What is going on? What do I have to do to force the formula to auto calculate? Turn on Automatic Calculation <g>. You do that at Tools/Options/Calculation. On 27 Sep 2004 18:56:34 -0700, jsausten@hotmail.com (Stephen Miller) wrote: >I'm...

a question and a question

Question about Paste Special

IE8 privacy question

IF AND question

Recipient can't see special characters (apostrophe, double quote, hyphen, etc.)
When I write to some people, they don't see the characters. For examples: my single quote gets replaced with "=E2=80=99", my double quotes get replaced with "=E2=80=9C", my hyphen gets replaced with "=E2=80"" and my "..." gets replaced with "=E2=80=A6" Everything looks ok (as I sent it in my sent box). But when the person replies with history I can see that the text got converted in the interim. (And they tell me they see the funny characters, too. I've tried to send the message as Plain text, but the same thing happens. I us...

Microsoft Query question

Question

OWA Question #16

Text Box Question

401K questions

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

If / Then Question

ROWCOUNT question

Exmerge Question #7

question about "delete"
I have a pointer: MyWindowClass *p = NULL; p = new MyClass(...); .... delete p; After delete p, does p equal NULL(it is in C++ standard?)? How to decide if p has been deleted? The reason I asked this question is that in my project, there are many code/files use the pointer which I need to determine is it is deleted? Can I use: if(p != NULL) delete p; I guess somewhere p has been deleted, but p still not NULL(possible?), the above code might cause problem. Hi Kathy, I typically just set p to NULL when I delete it: delete p; p = NULL; Then you can check it in other places and ...

More combining companies questions
We too have acquired another company and need to look at all of our options concerning what to do with email. We run Exchange 2003, they run Exchange 2000. What is the best way to combine the two so we can share GAL, free-busy info, etc.? No decisions have been made as far as what we are going to do with their AD. We could of course change their MX record to point to our server, update our RUS, etc., but what if we want to keep an Exchange server at their site? What has to be done to join their server to our Exchange org? If you want sync both GAL,pls check this http://www.microso...

Pasting Word pages into Excel
Hi, I wanted to paste a Word file into Excel. My Word file contains 12 pages. When I paste into Excel, I only manage to see the first page. Can somebody help me? Thanks in advance. Regards Sze Mei You can double-click on the embedded Word document, and view all the pages, but when it's not active, only the first page is visible. You could create twelve separate one-page Word documents, and embed each of those in your Excel file. Ginger wrote: > Hi, > > I wanted to paste a Word file into Excel. My Word file > contains 12 pages. When I paste into Excel, I only manag...

switchboard question 12-26-07
Is there a way to put the names of different switchboard pages on the switchboard form? If you put one name on a switchboard page (in form design view), the same name appears on all the switchboard pages. I understand why this happens, but what if I want the user to be able to know which switchboard s/he is on? Thanks. PS the same thing happens if I go into form design view and put in control tip text. It puts the same text for the same-numbered menu item on two different switchboard pages. "Debbie S." wrote: > Is there a way to put the names of different switchboard ...

Some Questions about Outlook
1. what's the max size of attachment for sending email? 2. newMail notifitor: when there is a new mail, can the tary be changed to other until i check the mail? can it work with hotmail? 3. is there any function likes "To Do List"; calendar require time setting? 4. configure file backup; can i back up all of my setting? -- Me, Who I am On Sun, 7 May 2006 22:17:01 -0700, Dotku <lwjct@hotmail.com> wrote: >1. what's the max size of attachment for sending email? That would depend on your mail server/ISP. >2. newMail notifitor: when there is a new mail, can the ...

Cell Validation not working on copy / paste
Cell validation is not working even when irrelevant data is copied and pasted into cell with validation. Is there a fix for this... Any response is highly appreciated... Thanks Shreedhar No, validation only works for typing not copying and pasting. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Shree" <Shree@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6FF9E04-6DDE-4CA8-BCBB-0C93B21F8576@microsoft.com... > Cell validation is not working even when irrelevant data is copied and > pasted > into cell with validation. > > Is there a fix for this... > > Any respo...

Simple CRM 3.0 Questions
- If an account is no longer active, what's the process to make it inactive? - Can a lead have multiple contacts, with one acting as the primary contact? - When I create a new lead, what the 'Topic' field usually used for? - When creating a lead, on the Details Page, how can I add entries into the 'Industry' and 'Lead Source' drop down lists? - Will CRM track all e-mails associated with a lead? How do I ensure this? - How do I promote a Lead to an Opportunity to an Account? - What's the real definition of an Opportunity? It seems so grey compared to...

Toolbar question
I have created a combo box on my toolbar. I am using 32 x 32 buttons, so my combo box is sitting high up. I would like to move it down to the center of the toolbar. To create it I used the following code, CRect rect; SetButtonInfo(14, IDC_FILTERNAMECB, TBBS_SEPARATOR, 200); GetItemRect(14, &rect); rect.bottom = rect.top + 200; m_cbFilterNames.Create(WS_TABSTOP | WS_VISIBLE | WS_VSCROLL | CBS_DROPDOWNLIST | CBS_HASSTRINGS | CBS_SORT, rect, this, IDC_FILTERNAMECB); How do I tell it to place itself in the center of the toolbar? Here is my code: code is from inherited CToolba...