Q: Referencing named cells in external worksheet ?

Using Excel 2002.

I have a workbook with 12 worksheets (one for every month of the
year), wherein a lot of the information is looked-up (using VLOOKUP)
in simples arrays.

I saw no point in implementing the arrays as a 13th worksheet, because
I will have a yearly version of my monthly worksheets in one workbook
(so one for 2003, 2004, etc). If I change the array(s), I want them to
be reflected in all referencing cells.

Problem:

If my workbook containing my arrays (called "Global") is loaded, I
have no problem and the references to it read as:

(blabla) 'Global.xls'!Roster (blabla) where "Roster" is a named cell
in this example.

If "Global" is not loaded (and I don't why it should be), then the
references change to:

(blabla) 'F:\Excel\Global.xls'!Roster (blabla) and all cells
containing such references indicate "#REF!".

Why?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
M.T.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

See where a cell is referenced
I'm looking at an existing spreadsheet someone else did, and I would like to click on a cell, and then be able to see where that value is used elsewhere in the sheet. Is there a way I can do this? Thanks. (Excel 2003) From the menus select View>Toolbars>Formula Auditing. Select the cell you are interested in and then click on the Trace Dependents button on the Formula Auditing toolbar. Hope this helps Rowan termiflyer wrote: > I'm looking at an existing spreadsheet someone else did, and I would > like to click on a cell, and then be able to see where that value is ...

change table name
thank you 1- how can i change table name to new name in code or by macro? 2- How can i change field name in table to new name by macro or vba os sql thank you A wrote: >thank you >1- how can i change table name to new name in code or by macro? >2- How can i change field name in table to new name by macro or vba os sql You can open the other database and use the standard DAO properties to manipulate the table/field names. For example: Dim db As Database Set dbOther = OpenDatabase("path to other database") With dbOther.TableDefs("old table name") .Fields...

Exchange naming issue
I have inherited a network with a local domain the same name as an internet domain name. Exchange has been installed and now they are having issues with mail to an external employee with an email address hosted on the internet. When sent through exchange on the local domain, it replies that there is no user with this address. Is there a way to forward a user's email from internal address to external address with the same domain for each? They really want to keep the email going to this address and not another internet domain. Any suggestions? Thanks Hello David, There are...

Copy an Drag cell Formula Problem
I am suddenly experiencing a problem when I try to copy and drag a formula across a number of cells. For example, I have two different data series in columns A and B and I want the product of the two in column C. Thus, in cell C1 I put “=A1*B1.” I then highlight C1 and drag the formula down the C column. My expected result would be “=A2*B2” in C2, “=A3*B3” in C3, etc. But what is happening is that the results for “A1*B1” is appearing in every cell of column C. However, when I highlight C4, for example, the formula appears as “=A4*B4” but the product is the same as that found in C1 ...

E-mail Server Names for Outlook 2000
I don't get it...Outlook Express 6 was extremely easy to setup having my emails from my Hotmail account load into Outlook Express, which seems to be designed to for that purpose, but Outlook 2000 gets into Pop3 or Imap and SMTP which seems to have a very outdated Internet connection wizard with very few options. My ISP doesn't have a clue of what I was talking about and it would seem that this is a Hotmail server problem? I have read enough Microsoft knowledge base articles to make a grown man cry in hopelessness frustration. Is there a way to upgrade the internet connetio...

Is there a way to toggle cells between display of referenced data.
Would like to somehow simply toggle between a sheet of data provided by various cell references and formulas and the acutal reference addresses and formula equations, e.g., instead of seeing 12, I want to see the worksheet cell display =3*4, etc. Is there any way to accomplish this without a mass copy-paste special command? Try using control + tilde at the same time tilde is the key just to the left of the 1 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "williejoeshaver" <williejoeshaver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C646DE6D-2DB8-4D7F-BFFB-23B2E6...

adding named ranges
I have two ranges of cells named range1 and range2 but I am unable to add them together as =sum(range1+range2) gives me an error Any help would be appreciated. Mike The correct syntax is =SUM(range1,range2) -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Mike EHB-Docks" <mike@ehb-docks.fsbusiness.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse news:d35jgs$j1m$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk... > I have two ranges of cells named range1 and range2 but I am unable to add > them together as =sum(range1+range2) gives me an error > > Any help would be appreciated. > >...

how do I paste an excel column into one cell...tia sal
Greetings All, I have a column of about 30 values. I would like to paste all these values into one cell. I tried Edit -Paste Special and choose "value" and "transpose" but it paste each value into it's on cell. I would like to paste all these values into one cell. TIA sal You can't *paste* more than one cell into a single cell, but you can write a formula that will pull all the other values into the cell with the formula. Something like: =A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A4&" "&A5&" &quo...

Make a cell content not printable
I want some cell contents of my worksheet not to be printed. I have resolved my problem by running a small macro before printing but I think it would be much better to have a function within excel, similar to the one for the other objects where you can select or not the "Print object" from properties. Can anybody help?? -- Basilio Use Conditional Formatting with the FormulaIs option. Pick a cell like Z100. Set the condtional format of the cell you wish to avoid printing to say that if Z100 is not empty, then make the font color the same as the background color. ...

Pointers with Named Pipes
Hello, I really don't if I'm posting this in the correct place, probably not, but if not let me know. I have this question: I'm building a Client/Server system where they comunicate througth Named Pipes. My question is: If I have an object (which both client and server have the definition) in the client App, can I pass the pointer of that object (that was created in client App) to the server? Will the server be able to read the object and eventualy destroy it? The server an the client are to run in different machines. Thanks in advance.- Jo�o Pereira "Jo�o Pereira" w...

Hyperlink, Cell and a menu
I create and use several workbooks during a year and then forget what I did or where I stored them. So, I am trying a crude menu system using Hyperlink in a worksheet and a Cell formula that I copied from Mr. Pearson's website that I then copy and paste the values. I can add descriptions of the files and what they contain from sales or production so that hopefully I can look at the 2009 menu file and find what I did or looking for 2 years from now. I know nothing of VBA and don't really want to learn but my question is there a better way to keep track of what was done. Thanks, ...

Naming ranges on multiple worksheets
I have a workbook with multiple worksheets, the worksheets are structured identical to each other. I need to name certain ranges in each of the worksheets. On the first worksheet, I was able to name the ranges without difficulity, however when I attempt to name the ranges on the worksheet number 2, it throws me back to sheet 1. The range name that I entered on sheet 2 was not accepted, the name box is still showing the cell number. Can anyone assist? Using Excel 2003. Thanks, Jim One method On sheet1 Insert>Name>Define MyName Refers to: =INDIRECT(&quo...

paste spans several cells
Hello, I want to paste text from an email message into a spreadsheet. The email text is several lines. When I paste it goes into several cells instead of just one. I've tried paste special and chosen unformatted text and it does the same thing. Any thoughts? Dear Jared, If you want all the text goes into 1 single cell, you paste it into the "Formula bar". then you should squeeze everything into 1 cell...... HTH "Jared" <jared_k@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:e2c36299.0311070813.691dc829@posting.google.com... > Hello, > I want to paste text from ...

#?Name
Everytime I try to setup a function via the visual basic editor I get '?Name returned. What am I doing wrong?? tried this: Function lastsaved() As Double lastsaved = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties(12) End Function and this Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) With Target If .Address(False, False) = "i14" Then If IsNumeric(.Value) Then Application.EnableEvents = False Range("h14").Value = Range("h14").Value + .Value Application.EnableEvents = True ...

=?Utf-8?Q?Hvordan_=C3=A5bnes_en_csv-fil_i_excel?= =?Utf-8?Q?_2007_=28Office_til_hjemmet_og_stu?= =?Utf-8?Q?di?=
Mit blodtryksapparat leverer data i form af en csv-fil. I min tidligere udgave af Excel (2000) gav det ikke problemer (heller ikke i OpenOffice); men i Excel 2007 åbnes filen i én kolonne - dvs. jeg får ikke oplysningerne fordelt ud i regnearket, så de kan bruges til beregninger af fx gennemsnit. Davs JCTC! Klikk på "Data" Velg ikonet "Fra Tekst" på venstresiden. Du må finne frem til .csv-filen på harddisken. En Wizard som kalles "Text import wizard" kommer frem. Velg "Delimited" og trykk neste. Velg "C...

formula for displaying only the last entry of a group of cells
How do you write the formula that will display only the latest entry in a succession of entries? For example, if I have 12 months in 12 columns, and the 13th column specifies "Last Update" , if I have made entries for Jan, Feb, Mar so far, I need only the latest and last entry to appear in the 13th column. When I enter April, then it would display in the 13th column cell and so on. Please help. -- Thank you Hi, This returns the rightmost entry in the row A2:M2 =LOOKUP(2,1/(A2:M2<>""),A2:M2) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise...

Need to show company name in To: Field
I am importing addresses from Access to Contacts folder. I want to show company name in To fields rather than full name. All contact records need to be filed by company name but I also need to see individuals contact names in their record. I have tried to import with Company name as "name" field, but this ends up with last part of name being filed first with a comma. HELP ...

C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RCXZN5L9
HELP I am running out of space on my C:\ Drive and was looking for things to delete when I came accross the following of over 1GB. C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RCXZN5L9 What is it and is it safe to delete everthing in it? In fact is it safe to delete everthing within the C:\Documents and Settings\Mark E. Moss\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ Directory? Mark Moss IE Tools | Internet Options | General | Browsing history | Settings | Disk space to use: Since you're...

Can we restrict one user to send and receive email from only one external domain, but all internal addresses
We had a request to restrict internet email usage for a single user but allow internal email both incoming and outgoing. We did this using a non-internet routable email address for this user and restricted them from using the outgoing smtp connector. We now have a request to allow this user to still use internal email but add one external domain to send and receive to. Is this possible ? Thank you, Ken It is possible with Ex2k7 Transport Rules. For Ex2k3, you need to add an SMTP event sink program to the incoming and outgoing SMTP VS to filter his emails. http://support.microsoft...

Dynamicly change spreadsheet tab names depending on cell value
Is it possible to change tab names dynamicaly ? For example i have 31 tab (1 for each day of the month) These tabs are named - 1,2,3 e.t.c Is it possible to define rule that would ad "!" to day which is weekend day. In other words is it possible to dynamicly change tab name depending from value of cell ? If this is possbile how do i do this ? Right-click on the spreadsheet tab, select View Code and paste this in:- Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() ActiveSheet.Name = Range("A1").Value End Sub To test this I put the date in cell B2 and this formula into A1:- =TEX...

Naming ranges
I imported a txt file into Excel. Each range includes an account number in column A, an address in column B, etc. What I need to do is find a SIMPLE was to name the ranges. Each account number only takes 1 row, but each address takes at least 4. I need to create a report that will show the account number and address that relates to that account number. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. example? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Shawn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bf0a01c43824$33dd0f40$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I ...

Advantages and Disadvantages of Referencing An Add-In Workbook 03-22-10
Let me give you some background information first. I have a workbook (Quote Generator v3.xls) that references an add-in workbook (QG Add-In v3.xla). The Add-in workbook contains macros to manipulate data in the Quote workbook. So when the Quote workbook is opened the Add-In workbook is opened hidden from the user. I should also note that both of these files saved on a server, thus several sales people use them. Here is my question. When a user opens a Quote workbook the Add-In is automatically opened. If I need to make updates to the Add-In, because of a "bug" ...

q-q plots
I originally posted this in the excel.misc group but received no replies. I then found this group and it makes more sense to post here (I hope)... Is there anyone who can tell me please how to make quantile-quantile plots in excel? I have two sets of data (one with 500 records, one with 300) and I want to make a q-q plot of them. I am not sure how to handle data sets that do not have equal numbers of records. Thanks Chris Inquirer, Here's a site that might help. It notes that the sample sizes do not need to be the same: http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/qqplot.ht...

Sales Rep name in receipt
Is there a way of displaying the sales rep's name within a sales receipt? We have the cashier number at the moment but would like to replace this number with the sales rep's name. The sales rep is not always the cashier. sales rep's name instead of cashier number ??? not cashier name?? anyhow...yes you can but it will depends on how you implement salesrep...I think only one salesrep is allowed per transaction....You can add this field to the receipt that you are using..instead of "cashier.number" you can use "entry.salesrep.name"..do you know how to edit ...

Email First Page of Worksheet Possible?
Hi, I was just wondering whether it's possible to email the first page of a worksheet comprised of multiple pages. Just the first page -summary report page. Is this possible? Try this: http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/folder3/mail4.htm HTH On Jan 23, 5:25=A0am, "Gerard Sanchez" <geepeeoneREMOV...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I was just wondering whether it's possible to email the > first page of a worksheet comprised of multiple pages. Just the first > page -summary report page. > > Is this possible? Can excel not do this with out outlook ...