Putting database data into a combo box...

Hi guys,

I have a working databse query thar returns a list of names.  I want to
put this into a combo box.  Currently I am inserting the database data
into a range on my spreadsheet (A1) and it uses as many rows as there
are names.  In my combo box properties I can specify the ListFillRange
as A1:A5 or whatever and this works okay, but the thing is, as names
are added to the database, I want the range A1:A5 to update
dynamically.

Q1.  Can I send the QueryTable data directly to the combo box
ListFillRange...

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=connstring,
Destination:=ComboBox1.ListFillRange etc.

Q2.  If I can't do that, is there an Excel function that can tell me
the position of the last record in the range... A10 or A30 or whatever,
so I can use VB code to reset the range after the query returns...

       .Refresh
End With

ComboBox1.ListFillRange("A1:" & something here...

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Lyndon.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Lyndon,

You should use ResultRange Property.

> ComboBox1.ListFillRange(Sheets("sheet1").QueryTables(1).ResultRange.Address)

Best

Guillermo

PS: From help...
ResultRange Property
See AlsoApplies ToExampleSpecifics
Returns a Range object that represents the area of the worksheet occupied by
the specified query table. Read-only.

Remarks
The range doesn't include the field name row or the row number column.

Example
This example sums the data in the first column of query table one. The sum
of the first column is displayed below the data range.

Set c1 = Sheets("sheet1").QueryTables(1).ResultRange.Columns(1)
c1.Name = "Column1"
c1.End(xlDown).Offset(2, 0).Formula = "=sum(Column1)"

"Lyndon" <lyndon.webster@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a working databse query thar returns a list of names.  I want to
> put this into a combo box.  Currently I am inserting the database data
> into a range on my spreadsheet (A1) and it uses as many rows as there
> are names.  In my combo box properties I can specify the ListFillRange
> as A1:A5 or whatever and this works okay, but the thing is, as names
> are added to the database, I want the range A1:A5 to update
> dynamically.
>
> Q1.  Can I send the QueryTable data directly to the combo box
> ListFillRange...
>
> With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=connstring,
> Destination:=ComboBox1.ListFillRange etc.
>
> Q2.  If I can't do that, is there an Excel function that can tell me
> the position of the last record in the range... A10 or A30 or whatever,
> so I can use VB code to reset the range after the query returns...
>
>       .Refresh
> End With
>
> ComboBox1.ListFillRange("A1:" & something here...
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> Cheers,
> Lyndon.

0
Guillermo

How to put a image pixel array to a CImageList?
I have a image pixel array like DWORD ImageBits[16][16]={0xff00ff,...}. My code just gives me a black image on the toolbar button. CImageList imgList; CBitmap bmImages; VERIFY(bmImages.CreateBitmap(16, 16, 1, sizeof(RGBQUAD) * 8, &ImageBits)); HIMAGELIST hImages; hImages = ImageList_Create(16, 16, ILC_COLOR16 | ILC_MASK, 1, 0); imgList.Attach(hImages); imgList.Add(&bmImages, RGB(255, 0, 255)); GetToolBarCtrl().SetImageList(&imgList); imgList.Detach(); Thank you. ...

How do I make a 'box and whisker plot' graph in Microsoft Excel?
I am in Year 12 and am doing a stats assignment. The project states that i MUST insert a box and whisker plot for some data, but i don't know how to do this. Does anybody know? Hi, Here are some sites on the topic of stats charting not just box and whisker. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/statscharts.html http://www.processtrends.com/toc_statistical_charts.htm http://tushar-mehta.com/publish_train/data_analysis/16.htm http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Year 12 student who needs help" &...

Passing data from one form to another

Constructing Hyperlink from the Database Record fields
I am working on a Windows XP environment using MS Office 2007 including Access 2007. I want to open a document from Access 2007 which I can easily do with Hyperlink type field. However since all the necessary information is already in the Database Record I try to avoid creating additional field which would be a Hyperlink type on the Form unless it is absolutely necessary. Below is the code that I have to construct the FullFileName which consisted of ServerName, Division, Unit, RequirementDirectory, FolderName and the FileName itself. As you can see the Database records has al...

Help ! formatting data to text

how do i recover data in publisher
i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked the "ok" button in the window and lost all data . can i recover it Look in a folder in My Documents named "My Data Sources". Publisher data is saved as .mdb(Access) file. Did you try selecting "Edit Address List" in the Mailings and Catalog menu (Tools)? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:690430F1-36DE-47EE-8B7D-DD12A096C075@microsoft.com... >i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked ...

moving databases
when i use the "optomizer" program and agree to the recomendations, the program fails to move the databases. It will attempt to, and then after awhile it just stops responding. When i try to move the databases manually and then change the data paths, i get an error that says the data is already moved and it fails to change the paths... any suggestions?? Hi Tim, Do the databases themselves actually move? Does the server hang trying to stop services? Look in the registry at HKeyLocalMachine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ ParametersPrivate\DB Path ParametersP...

Using subtotals as single data entries
Sorry about the subject--I couldn't figure out how to describe it simply. I have a large file (16,000 records) of amounts billed by roughly 10,000 service providers. A number of these providers have multiple office locations, so each record is unique to a specific office location. In other words, a provider who billed from 3 different office locations will have 3 entries. Each provider has a unique provider ID number, which stays the same regardless of which office location he is billing from. I want to be able to subtotal the amount billed by each provider for all their office locations...

Retrieving sorted data from same table.
Hi All, I am working on a table (mentioned below) I am looking for a query which can get me the data according to the =93id=94 column with respect to speed. The condition is that I have to get three consecutive entries which have speed > 60 Below is the sample table with data on which I have to retrieve the data on above condition. The output i need can be as given below DVXC002 12/10/09 0:12 96 DVXC002 12/10/09 18:40 89 DVXC002 12/10/09 19:43 65 DVXC005 12/10/09 11:56 69 DVXC005 12/10/09 15:26 62 DVXC005 12/10/09 17:35 85 Need your help urgently....Thanks in advan...

Import directory data into Excel 2003
I have over 1000 media files that I would like to extract information from and put into an Excel spreadsheet. Using Explorer, I have defined the fields I would like to see, such as title, duration, comment etc. Now, I need to import this data into Excel. So far, I've not been able to find a way to do this. Can someone offer some suggestions please? Thanks, Nigel -- www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends www.sysadmininc.com - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking... www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide www.kxez.com/shows_britishinv...

show last data point in chart
Hello, I am charting a range of observations/data points. Is there a way to make the last data point show up differently on the chart (different color/shape)? Thank you. Nathan - > I am charting a range of observations/data points. Is there a way to make the last data point show up differently on the chart (different color/shape)? < Click the charted data once to select the entire data series. Pause. Click the single point to select it. Then use the Format menu. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com Thanks for your reply. Well, that would work if I knew which point on the chart ...

Copy Data from One Group of Cells to Another Group
I have five columns of data on two different sheets in the same workbook. One set of columns is sorted in ascending date order the other in descending date order. When I enter data into the last row of Sheet 1, I need the data in that row in columns A, B, C and D to be copied into Sheet 2 columns A, C, D and E in a newly inserted row 14. Is this possible with the use of a macro? I can find the last cell in Sheet 1, but then need to go up one row and back to column A. I am having difficulty with that. Thanks is advance for any assistance offered! /s/ Alan Auerbach On Sat, 26 May 2007, ...

Import excel data to outlook calendar
I have found lots of tips to import excel data to the address book, etc, but can't find how to "custom map" or how to import data from an excel spreadsheet into the outlook calendar. Could anyone make any suggestions? Hi Tracy, normally you are in the wrong newsgoup, but I try to help you. - First export the dates from your OL calender to an excel file. - In this file, you can find all the headlines for importing. - If you try to import date, be sure that the headline matches as described before. - Then to the normal job for import in Outlook -- Ich hoffe, das hilft / ...

Registration Entry for External Data Refresh Prompt
Hello, I have several Excel Workbooks with external queries, pivots, etc. I have "ASK TO UPDATE AUTOMATIC LINKS" checked in TOOLS - OPTIONS. But it seems like I still stometimes get asked whether or not I want to update. Particularily I notice when I close the workbook I may get prompted if I want it to automatically update. Is there something I can do so I do not get prompted? Something in the registry perhaps? Thanks for any assistance! ...

drop down boxes #14
Is it possible to change to fonts or fill colours of a cell containing a drop down box? Any help would be much appreciated Thanks If you made the drop down box using validation then you should be able to change the colors just like any other cell. If you used a combo box from the control toolbar, then you've got to right click and go to properties. Art "stumakker" wrote: > Is it possible to change to fonts or fill colours of a cell containing a drop > down box? > > Any help would be much appreciated > > Thanks Hi, Thanks for your reply....

How do I get total value data labels in a stacked bar chart?
I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if so, how?? Hi, This should help http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm Cheers Andy blemerson wrote: > I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total > value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if > so, how?? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Thanks, Andy. The CFO is thrilled. Heather "Andy Pope" wrote: > Hi, >...

Showing the perimeter of a set of (X,Y) data!
Good day all, I need to plot the perimeter of a set of data. I have a set of (X,Y) data with error bar and it is a nice mess so I just actually need to see (show) the area were the data can be found. Then hopefully overlay an other set of (X',Y') data and show that they both cover the same surface of existence. i.e this is a set of metrology measurement in X and Y of a part build from different mould. Obviously you get a nice cloud of X and Y but does the new material offer the same 'cloud' ? Thank you I think the easiest way to do this is plot the data on a XY Scatter cha...

can i create a modalless dialog Box in the worker thread.
hi guys, is it possible to create a modalless dialog box in the worker thread, actually we have try this but we got error that is" you cannot create object with new operator in the worker thread " but i don't know what is the actual reason behind this. actually i am trying to create a modalless dialog box from main dialog box and i want to perform openGL programing on both the dialog box in such a manner so that they do not collapse or crash each other because at one time only one rendering device context should reside in the memory if we want to create more then one device con...

Message box when DOB meets certain criteria
Hi all, I am a relative novice to the ways of Access, I am currently setting up a database in Access 2003. I have a form field (DOB) that if the date of birth entered makes the person between 2 and 16 years old I would like a message box to appear notifying the user (and be able to turn it off). Similarly if an existing record is opened and a child has it's second birthday I would also like the message to appear.. .I have posted a similar request and have got thus far: Private Sub DOB_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If DateAdd("yyyy", 2, [DOB]) > Date Or Date...

Error Exporting data in HQ Admin
Hi, I have HQ 1.2 (SP3) and two stores. I have previously exported new stores with other customers without any problems. However, I am now getting an error when it reaches the table supplier - An error was encountered while exporting data. Your Store Operations db is not complete and may not work correctly. Error 0: I have followed instructions as per another post ( query to check for NULL values and reinstall SO in case 'only me' option was selected) but still have same problem. Would anyone have any ideas on where to go from here? Thanks in advance. John. John, First I w...