Providing help for a template

Hi,

I have a template which is not that easy to use, so I need to show some help
to users - what is the best way of doing this. It should be something that
is not modal, as it should stay visible as the user works.....

Regards
Bo Rasmussen

0
krogenlund (14)
6/28/2004 10:07:36 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Bo,

You can use Data - Validation.  Leave the "Allow" box set to "Any value."
Put instructions in the Input Box, and they'll pop up like comments when the
cell is selected.  Or use cell comments (right-click, Insert comment).
They'll pop up when the mouse hovers over the cell.   Modeless UserForms
(Excel 2000 and beyond) can be put on the screen and will stay there.  You
need some macro code to control them.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Bo Rasmussen" <krogenlund@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a template which is not that easy to use, so I need to show some
help
> to users - what is the best way of doing this. It should be something that
> is not modal, as it should stay visible as the user works.....
>
> Regards
> Bo Rasmussen

0
nowhere1083 (630)

Need help for setting OPENFILENAME structure member
One of my applications generates files with number as file extension, such as: aaa.0, b.2, c.30, ff.444, g.1900, .... How can I set lpstrFilter so that only this type of files show up? Thank you! gxchem wrote: >One of my applications generates files with number as file extension, >such as: aaa.0, b.2, c.30, ff.444, g.1900, .... How can I set >lpstrFilter so that only this type of files show up? Thank you! You can't, because only DOS-style wildcards are supported. However, the technique presented at the end of this article _may_ be viable: http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issu...

HELP!!! #7
Alright, I am trying to open outlook, and there is a screen that prompts me for a "Microsoft Exchange Server" and a "Mailbox", neither of which I know? Another screen opens saying " Creating Outlook accounts"... "Creating welcome message". and thats it. I can't get into the program or anyting. All i want to do is use the blasted calendar. HELP!???? Matt close outlook. go to control panel, mail. click on the profiles button and delete and profiles that may exist then create a new "no mail" one. If you need help creating the profile, ...

F1 is opening Office Online instead of Help.
I work helpdesk and recently someone pointed out that F1 is now opening Office Online instead of the Help task pane. I can't find where that setting resides to change it. In Tools-Customize-Keyboard, F1 is assigned to the Help command. Any ideas? I can't find any reference to this change anywhere online. We are running Office 2003 SP3 on Windows XP Professional. This only happens in Word, all the other Office apps open Help correctly. Thanks! In the Help window, you should be able to click Online Content Settings; this opens the Service Options dialog box. In the O...

Help with modeless dialogs
Hi, in the dialog based application that i'm writing,i want to display two charts,each displayed in a separate modeless dialog. I've declared two variables: > CGraphD* m_dlg; > CGraphD* m_dlgLoad; Where CGraphD is the modeless dialog's class.I initialize them in OnInitDialog,but then i've got an unhandled exception. Debugging the app i've noted that when OnInitDialog returns,i have the following situation: > m_dlgLoad 0x005555b0 {CGraphD hWnd=0x0006056c} > m_dlg 0x00554a90 {CGraphD hWnd=0x0008059a} In my application,i've a button which lets the user lo...

Help. My DVD drive will not recognize DVDs, but plays CD-Rs fine.
Hi, I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RZ 34G desktop. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP3, with automatic updates turned on. Sony DVD RW DW-U12Aa drive. I have Corel Video Studio DVD burning software installed. Everything was runnig fine in early December (last time i used the DVD drive, I thnk). My DVD drive is not reading DVD discs. The drive plays CDs fine. When I put a DVD in the drive and use file explorer the F:/ comes up, but shows no files. This does show files when a CD is in the Drive. CDs play fine in windows media player, but when I try to play a DVD, windows...

Service provider
Is anyone out there a Publisher service provider? I heard somewhere tha Microsoft has a program where the list you as a provider on a web site. How does one get into this program? Rich While in a state of withdrawal waiting for components to arrive to repair his dead laptop, Ed notices a message from "Rich Sommer" <rpsommer@itsalldigital.com>. > Is anyone out there a Publisher service provider? I heard somewhere tha > Microsoft has a program where the list you as a provider on a web site. > How > does one get into this program? http://mspublisher.saltmine.com/...

HELP: Trouble Configuring Offline Database!
Hi all ~ I'm having trouble setting up the offline database after following the steps in the Knowledge Base article 836403. The error message is "error 2147467259 "Cannot open database ... login failed". Two questions. Is the server (local) or the server name the machine name? In my case the machine name is grab-01. I've tried it as \\grab-01 and local, but not (local). What's the value of the server name? What password do I used for the newly created database? I've tried the password from the POS database and that doesn't seem to work. Any help we ...

Help to modify a formula
This is my formula I need help with, in cell I10 this is entered =IF((I7-I6)*24>4,(I7-I6)*24-0.5,(I7-I6)*24) Problem is when cell I6 & I7 are blank cell I10 shows #value I need it to be blank or 0 any ideas? thanks all. Bob Bob, You should be getting zero when I6 and I7 are empty. It sounds as if there's a space or something like that in the cell. Some folks do that to clear a cell. -- Regards from Virginia Beach, Earl Kiosterud www.smokeyl.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "Bob Bob" <NOeMAILl@mail.com> wrote in me...

Public Folder Permissions Issue
Under our Public Folder store in ESM(Exchange System Manager) the inherit permissions under security was unchecked to remove inherited permissions. Now, NOBODY has access to view it, read it, or even list it our public folder structure. Not even the system, or the domain administrator etc. Note, the pub1.edb file where the public folder structure is stored is still intact. How can I get the public folders back to its original state? I have been researching this problem in multiple Exchange News Groups and received information about a tool called ”PFDavAdmin” which errors out. Any i...

Formatting flyer for mailing...help.
I have designed a flyer in Publisher and I want the back to have a space for a mailing address and the upper or lower half have content. I had this option on one version I printed out...but now page 2 is just another template of the first page. I have the book Publisher Step by Step, but cannot find the solution in there either. I am using Publisher 2007 and my operating system is Windows Vista. Can someone help me with this, please? When you insert a new page, isn't it blank? There is a check off in the insert new page to duplicate all items on page 1, maybe you are inadverte...

Need help on this formula!
Hello, I need help with a formula I'm trying to create. I have data in column but the data is scattered. For example, there will be a numbe in row 20 then it's blank until row 35, then blank until row 68, and s on. I need a formula that will copy the data to the rows that are blan below it. For example, if row 20 has a number in it I want to cop that number in the blank rows until it reaches the next number. An once it reaches row 35 it will copy that number to the rows below i and so on. I would do this manually but the spreadsheet is huge. Thank you for your help, Olimits...

Help with Formula 12-07-09
Hi, I posted this yesterday and did not get much response. I wonder if it cannot be done. Any way please read and help me with a formula. Thank you. Ok. I will use a better example. Let's say my sheet 1 shows car sales like Honda, Ford, etc. The rows are months like Jan, Feb, etc. and the columns are dates (1-30 or 31). Of course there are many empty cells because there are dates that I did not sell any car. (To keep it simple, I sell only one car if there is any sale on a day. If I sell Honda, I put "Honda" in my cell, and Ford, "Ford," etc.) The sheet ...

Provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 & error 53?????????????
Problem: How can I access SQL server on WAN???????????????????????????????? ----------------------------------------------------------- Error: (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Information: Windows Sever 2008 (64bit OS) Service Pack 2 Microsoft SQL 2008 Server Management Studio (10.0)(64bit) Microsoft .Net Frame work 3.5 SP1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Additional Inform...

template with data tracking #3
I've created a template using the data tracking wizard. Both the template and database are stored in a network location. I've had no problems creating new files based on the template with new records added to the database as I close and save each new file. My co-workers can create a new file based on the template but there's an error message when closing and saving the new file that says Excel can't open the database workbook. We are using Excel 2003. Any suggestions on how I can make this work? Thank you, Dee Goodrich ...

Help with generics
Someone please help me. I am trying to create a generic validation method that simply checks to ensure the type has a value. Here is the method that calls the validation method: public void CheckParameterTest(string someString, List<SqlParameter> sqlParams, List<Customers> customers) { ValidateParams(sqlParams); } Here is the generic validation method. I just want to check that the List<whatever>.Count property is not zero. I can't seem to get the count of the list. Please help private void ValidateParams<T>(T param) { Type typ...

Help me! There is problem with cells view...
Hello! By default when I write some text in cell and the text is longer then cell's width, I can see his contents in next cells. But in one excel worksheet when I sellect all cells in worksheet and then draging them it can no longer seen all contents in one cell. In entire worksheet the cells have wrap text turned off, there are no merged cells. In another worksheet with the same cell properties, the text overflow to the next right cells of course the cells behind the edit one are empty. I don't know what is going on. And I don't know how this was happened. It is very import...

Macro: Help
I have designated a space in my excel document where I place screen shots using ALT+Print Screen and Paste. I would like to create a macro that would delete the screen shots for me when I need to refresh my form. When I try to create the macro, I run into problems because it looks to delete the specific picture (example picture 57), but I just want it to generically delete pictures. Is that possible? Am I even making sense? Thank you Bland, VBA will do it For Each pic In ActiveSheet.Pictures pic.Delete Next -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole...

website help
I was told to look at microsoft.public.excel.misc. , but i cant seem to access it. Is it a file on my computer, or is it an old site? thanks for the help It is an old site, or it has been deleted, because I tried 5 times. Elite "shin" wrote: > I was told to look at microsoft.public.excel.misc. , but > i cant seem to access it. Is it a file on my computer, > or is it an old site? > > thanks for the help > > Elite and shin You in it!! This is the microsoft.public.excel.misc News Group What are you looking for? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 5 Ju...

Business Portal problem, please help
In BP(2.5) >> Purchasing >> Requisitions >> Select a Vendor, users got a warning, "Another user is currently working with the selected vendor." but there is no other user is working with the selected vendor. After restarted the database server and Business Portal server, they still have the problem. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thank you very much. Sam ...

Help with query for consecutive years
I have a table that contains donation data. What I want to do is pull records based on if they gave $1000 or more for 3 or more consecutive years or more. The years in the table range from 2005 to 2010. I'm running SQL Server 2005. I've included some sample data to put into the table. Can anyone help with this? Here is the code to create the table SET ANSI_NULLS ON GO SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON GO SET ANSI_PADDING ON GO CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Donations]( [MemberID] [int] NOT NULL, [FiscalYr] [char](4) NOT NULL, [Amount] [money] NULL, CONSTRAINT [PK_Donations] PRIM...

Need stacked chart help
Hi All, I have a problem with a stacked chart in excel 2000, i have used th search function but could not find a solution. The problem is as follows: I want to create a chart with one stacked bar (consisting of variables). And i also want another stacked bar (consisting of 2 variables). Only the proble is that there is a big difference in the numbers so one hardly shows up. Now i want both bars on different scales. Can somebody help me ? Thanks in advance -- wjvivee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- wjviveen's Profile: http://www.excelforum....

Searching Help gives error
Hello, I can open the Help contents from the Menu bar or the blue question mark but when I type in a search term I get "Server error in '/' Application", "service is not running". Seems like I know this but am stumped. Thank you for your help, Mark Hi Mark, Can you see if the "Indexing Service" is running on the server? Thanks! Manoj "Markw911" <Markw911@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4BFCB92-4841-4F4F-AF5A-7AAAF4F0892E@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I can open the Help contents from the Menu bar or the blue ...

GP Support Providers
Anyone know of a good list or website to find companies that provide service and sales of GP products in U.S.? The distributor for our area provided less than ideal initial startup support and we are looking for an alternative. We possibly need new modules and support for existing modules. Brad Email me at haribhagat@hotmail.com and I can help you locate one. "Brad" wrote: > Anyone know of a good list or website to find companies that provide service > and sales of GP products in U.S.? The distributor for our area provided less > than ideal initial startup suppor...

Graphic template Excel 1997
Hi, I have some template of Graphic in an Excel file. I have a workbook with the graphic, one with the data and one with some constant (Contain the information about the legend and stuff like this) . When I modify the data of the constant, the layout of the graphic change. Is there a way to prevent this? Thanks, ...

Send As Help
Hello, I'm trying to create an account that I can send email from, but can't recieve email. This account is for my companies newsletter. I want to be able to send as this user. Exchange 2003, outlook11 Thanks Note. I have given myself permission in AD to send as this user. Define "can't receive". -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" <zylinius1983@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1156539402.100825.70910@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > I'm trying to create an account that I can...