protecting formulas

I am trying to find a way to protect formulas on a spreadsheet whil
still allowing users to put in new data.  Is there a way to do this?
am using excel 200

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Cherilyn

unlock the cells where you want input and then protect the sheet with a
password.

Format | Cells... | Protection tab | Locked = false (not ticked)

Regards

Trevor

"Cherilyn >" <<Cherilyn.16krpe@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to find a way to protect formulas on a spreadsheet while
> still allowing users to put in new data.  Is there a way to do this?  I
> am using excel 2000
>

> ---

Trevor9259 (673)
5/20/2004 10:09:08 PM
Thanks for the help I can now protect my formulas

Strange formula popping up
Hello. I have a problem in excel 2003. My SS has lots and lots o figures on it. I used format with no $ , 2 decimals, and chose (1234 56). However every time I try to enter an amount in the minus in an cell it comes out strange. For instance say I want to enter (250.00). It does this: - 250.F8 (or any other cell ). and then jumps to the cel next to it and does the little flashing 'outline the cell' thingy. tried deleting and clearing all the formulas and then reformatting bu it keeps doing it. Amounts in the black come out just fine such a 1234.56. It only does it in a cell with ...

Password Protect Outlook #2
I work in an offcie environment and sometimes have to leave my PC unattended for just a few minutes. Unfortunately some confidential emails have been read by my staff and I need a way of safeguarding them other than turning off the PC, is there any way I can password protect access into my Outlook 2000, so all I do is close Outlook. (Sorry still operating under W95) Many thanks You can set a password on a Personal Folders File. If the folder list isn't visible in Outlook, click View | Folder List. Right-click the root folder (usually "Personal Folders" or "Outlook T...

protecting outlined data
I want to be able to use the expand/collapse function in outlines when the worksheet is protected. Copy this macro in a normal module It will run automatic when you open the workbook You can also use the workbook open event Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="rbelecki", userinterfaceonly:=True .EnableOutlining = True End With End Sub Look in the VBA help for more information about protect(userinterfaceonly) -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "rbelecki" <rbelecki@l...

Quicken Password protected
I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my data from Quicken and the program says there is a password for my quicken account that is required, but I never had a password. No way to get past this. Any ideas? If your data file is Q04, Money04 can only deal with Q03 or older. Otherwise, who knows? "Stephen Weiss" <stephenaweiss@comcast.net> wrote in message news:012f01c3cb22$9a957ac0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my > data from Quicken and the program says there is a password > for my quicken account that is req...

formula question #8
Hi, Well I've looked in my excel books and I have excel for dummies (and yes I need it) :-), I am sure there must be a way and have tried several things hoping to hit on the right one. I want a result in one cell, reliant upon two different cells having a $amount over zero. I tried this formula but it only comes back with the word "true" or "false" and only works for one cell with an amount over zero. =OR((D4>0)*(G4>0),'TDBonus'!K3,0). In other words if D4 is more than zero or G4 is more than zero, then I want the cell to display what is on another ...

Autofill Formulas
Hello. I have a workbook with 31 sheets of data. Each sheet is a form with a record of data. I would like extract the data into a list. For example, range A5 is the same field on each sheet, so I want to autofill a formula reference the same cell on different sheets. I suspect I need a macro for this, but wanted to make sure first. Can you autofill like this =Sheet1!$A$5, =Sheet2!$A$5, =Sheet3!$A$5? -- Thanks, Mike =INDIRECT("Sheet" & (ROW()) & "!A5") Entered in A1 of new sheet. Copy down to A31............will increment the Sheet numbe...

How to I use ** without Excel thinking I want to type a formula?
I am using Excel (Office 2003) to create a table and I need to use two of these: * to indicate significant results for a research study. How do I tell Excel that I just want to display this symbol after a three digit number without it thinking I want to type a formula? Turn off Lotus transition under tools>options>transition and uncheck transition formula entry Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Buff" wrote: > I am using Excel (Office 2003) to create a table and I need to use two of > these: * to indicate significant results for a research study. How do I tell > Excel th...

Cell ref is it possibile to calculate / change this in a formula
Any SUPER USERS uot there? I am trying to construct a formula where I need to copy it down 6500+ rows but I need one of the cell refs to be calculated in sted of having its row number to raise by one for each row copied. sample, Normel coping: =IF(AND(F25<=201012,F25<>$F$1),B25,'MASTER tot'!C25) =IF(AND(F26<=201012,F26<>$F$1),B26,'MASTER tot'!C26) What I am trying to get: =IF(AND(F25<=201012,F25<>$F$1),B25,'MASTER tot'!C25) =IF(AND(F26<=201012,F26<>$F$1),B26,'MASTER tot'!C16) For every line the for...

How to protect 2. axis in an Excel Chart to stay if data changes
A Pivot table is created on Tab1 in an Excel workbook. On Tab2 there is a Line Chart created with data from Tab 1 using 2 axis. If data in Tab1 change the 2nd axis on Tab 2 disappears, jumps ober and overrules axis 1. How can I protect chart area with 2 axis being able to change referring data in the pivot table. ...

Password protection on split database
I have a database which is split into front end and back end. The front end is password protected but the backend isn't Is it possible to protect both with the same password? I've tried protecting the backend with a password but when I open the front end it can't "see" the backend. Any ideas? Thanks Tony Put a password on the backend, then, after opening the front-end, use the Linked Table Manager to update the links (just like you would if you had moved the backend). You should be prompted for the 'missing' password during this process. You should only...

formula required

Rounding Formulas
I'm working in a spreasheet that has a lot of formulas, if I want to round the number that a formula shows, do I need to do that in a different colmn or is there something I can add to the formula to round it to the nearest dollar? Here is an example if the formula I'm often using in this spreadsheet. =((C22*G11)*G17) =round((C22*G11)*G17),0) should do it. If you want the result to the nearest PENNY, do this: =round((C22*G11)*G17*100),0)/100 "Chandra" wrote: > I'm working in a spreasheet that has a lot of formulas, if I want to round > the number that...

Protection
Hi everyone OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there a way that I can put a password for my profile on Microsoft outlook so that no one can read the new AND the old messages found in my inbox? You can put a password on your PST file, presuming you use a PST file... Emad Kamel wrote: > Hi everyone, > OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has > access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there > a way that I can put a password for my profile on Micr...

How to create a formula with multiple contraints and answers
Please help! :) I need a formula that basically says this: If cell C7 is less than 80%, then C8 equals 0% If cell C7 is greater than or equal to 80%, but less than 90%, then C8 equals 75% If cell C7 is greater than or equal to 90%, but less than 100%, then C8 equals 85% If cell C7 is greater than or equal to 100%, but less than 125%, then C8 equals 100% If cell C7 is greater than or equal to 125%, then C8 equals 140% Any help would be appreciated! One way: =IF(C7>=125%,140%,IF(C7>=100%,100%,IF(C7>=90%,85%,IF(C7>=80%,75%,0)))) Regards Trevor "torky1" <torky1@...

CANNOT PROTECT
Trying to password and read only protect a Microsoft Word docuement that is embedded in Excel. When I open the "protected" document, the read-only prompt does not appear...and I can still make changes and close the docuement. HELP! Try this: create the document directly in word, protect it and save it to disk. Then copy the text you want and past it special as an OLE object in excel Peter ...

Help Needed: "IF" formula/logic too limited
I need to determine a value that is predicated upon the selections of about 6 or so drop down menus. It'd be General Text within drop-downs but final value is an Accountant price Basically if someone selects Option #1 out of Cells A-G's drop down menus, then the value of H1 = a cell on another page that fits the category of 1- 1-1-1-1-1 from the drop down menus. I don't know how to do this. I imagine it's possible but have no clue. Your help is greatly appreciated. From what you say, the meat of this problem lies in the layout/format of the data you have in this "...

How to protect cells?
I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone but me. Is this possible? Thanks. Mark, Please don't multipost. See the thread in .programming. John "Mark F." <m7829@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FSzQb.10797$6o4.894@fe2.texas.rr.com... > I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a > group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on > the same she...

Spreadsheet password protection
How do you password protect a spreadsheet. I can't find anything in the help section. You can prevent un authorised access by giving a password to open the workbook itself, so that no one else can open it (Go to Tools, Options and then Security Tab). You can do it there if you have already saved the file, or you can go to "save as" then "Tools" and "General Options" where you can give password. On the other hand you can protect work sheets and ranges for different people by using "Tools" and then "Protection" Tab -- M Imran Buha...

Formula omits adjacent cells: ignore a whole row at once?
Allowing space to add further rows in a spreadsheet gives me a whole row of totals where the formula is tagged as 'formula omits adjacent cells'. How can I get the thing to ignore the lot at once rather than having to open all the drop down dialogues one at a time? Cheers, S On Jul 18, 8:19 am, "spamlet" <spam.mores...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > Allowing space to add further rows in a spreadsheet gives me a whole row of > totals where the formula is tagged as 'formula omits adjacent cells'. How > can I get the thing to ignore the lot at once r...

How to Activate "Show all" in a Protected Shared Workbook
Hi, I created a protected and shared workbook in Excel 2003 ,the default Filter Option is "Auto Filter" how can I use the "Show All" in Filtering.? even I unchecked the "Filter Settings" in "Tools-> Share Workbook -> Advanced -> Include Personal View " but it did not work. Thanks. You can't. If the workbook were not shared, then you could create your own macro that unprotects the worksheet, does the showall and reprotects the worksheet. But with the workbook shared, you can't change the protection of a shee...

Password protected sheet access
I have a spreadsheet protected with a unknown password. How do I access this sheet? Ps: the "read only" option is not available. Thanks, Rivane. Hi Rivane Is this the password for opening the file, or the one for unlocking locked cells in the already open sheet ? Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please. "Rivane Cardim" <rivane.cardim@exxonmobil.com> wrote in message news:0a8801c35dae$a03275a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have a spreadsheet protected with a unknown password. > How do I access this sheet? > > Ps: the "read only...

How to navigate within a formula without changing cell references?
I have the following function in G20: =IF(C20>0,F20,"") I need to replace the second parameter (F20), with another IF statement. =IF(C20>0,IF(F20<>"",F20,"Error"),"") I go to G20 and press F2 to edit the formula. I move the cursor to just before the "F20" using the arrow keys and start typing in the new IF statement. When I have it entered, I need to move the cursor over the old F20 to finish the new IF statement, but Excel takes the arrow keys to mean I want to reference an adjacent cell. How can I get Excel to interpre...

Protecting a Worksheet
Does anybody know how to protect a workbook so that a user CANNOT unhide a sheet, CANNOT add rows to the viewable sheet, CANNOT alter locked cells, but CAN add text to a comments column which will expand and Wrap text as the comments increase in size? I understand how to protect/unprotect locked cells, but I cannot find the right combination for the above functionality. Is it even possible? Any help is greatly appreciated. Jeff When a _Workbook_ is protected (Tools, Protection, Protect Workbook, Structure) sheets cannot be unhidden. When a _Worksheet_ is protected locked cells ca...

sum/count in a pivot table formula
Is it possible to create a PivotTable formula that divides the sum of one field by the count of another (i.e. divide Sales by the number of Invoices)? I have other PivotTables where I put a dummy column in the data range that allows me to get a "count", but this table is linked via ODBC and I would like to do this automatically, not have to manually insert a count column next to the ODBC data. I have been researching this, but everytime I create a PivotTable formula, it sets it to SUM and does not allow that to be changed. v. XL XP WIN2K thanks, ryanb. If you have 150 invoi...

Excel Sheet Protection
I am trying to protect a spreadsheet from any editing, while allowing the user to use the autofilter and sorting function. I tried checking the "Use AutoFilter" and "Sort" checkboxes in the Protect Sheet dialog box to protect the document. It does allow you to filter records based on selecting a value from the drop down list box of the autofilter, but it does not allow me to sort. Please help! If you have locked cells that are in the range to sort, then checking that box in the tools|Protection|protect sheet dialog won't work for you. You may want to provid...