protect borders on a data entry cell

I have an Excell 2007  spreadsheet with borders around selected
cells,  the spreadsheet is protected so my formulas cant get
corrupted, but with some cells that are unlocked for user data entry.
But when you copy and paste in these user entry cells the borders are
getting copied and pasted also destroying the look of the
spreadsheet.   so how do you protect the borders from being changed
and still allow copy and paste in the user entry cells?

Thanks in advance
Terry
0
tfmann (2)
9/19/2009 4:45:20 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could politely ask users to copy>paste VALUES

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"dotcom" <tfmann@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
>I have an Excell 2007  spreadsheet with borders around selected
> cells,  the spreadsheet is protected so my formulas cant get
> corrupted, but with some cells that are unlocked for user data entry.
> But when you copy and paste in these user entry cells the borders are
> getting copied and pasted also destroying the look of the
> spreadsheet.   so how do you protect the borders from being changed
> and still allow copy and paste in the user entry cells?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Terry

0
dguillett1 (2487)

Count text cells if condition in row is true, over many rows.
Using Excel 2003 - 84 columns, up to 250 rows. By groups of 3 adjacent columns, I want to put (in merged cell at top of each group of 3) a formula showing total of cells with text, IF a separate cell in column CM in each row has a particular value. So, there will be 28 totals (84/3) in top row. If CM2="E", CM3="S", CM4="E", CM5="E", CM6="S", etc, and using condition "E", the formula in merged D1 will count all text cells in columns D,E,F of rows 2,4,5,etc. The formula in merged G1 will count all text cells in columns...

How do I change case from lower to proper in a range of cells?
I need to change case from Lower to UPPER for a range of cells. Any pointers on this will be appreciated. Ajayjeet, you could use the upper functon like this, with data in column A in B1 put =UPPER(A1) and copy down, then copy and paste special over your data, or with a macro, select your data then run this code Sub Make_CAPS() Dim cel As Range For Each cel In Intersect(Selection, _ ActiveSheet.UsedRange) cel.Formula = UCase$(cel.Formula) Next End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedb...

Problem: Attribute "border" exists, but can not be used for this element
hi asp.net 3.5 when validating my site I get the error mention in the subject of this post, here is the source code generating the problem. I mean thisis the source code taken from the browser: <span><input type="image" name="ctl00$Login2$LoginView1$Login1$Submit" id="ctl00_Login2_LoginView1_Login1_Submit" src="Images/Go.gif" alt="alt text is here" onclick="javascript:WebForm_DoPostBackWithOptions(new WebForm_PostBackOptions(&quot;ctl00$Login2$LoginView1$Login1$Submit&quot;, &quot;&quot;, true, &...

Exporting Exchange Data from Outlook
Hello I am a newbie, so maybe this is a dum question. I wish to export Outlook data from Exchange Server so that I can then import it into my new Win2003 Server/Exchange. I am simply moving from one organisation to another. What is the best method? Thanks in advance. Prakash prakash@logicalmicro.com Prak wrote: > Hello > I am a newbie, so maybe this is a dum question. > I wish to export Outlook data from Exchange Server > so that I can then import it into my new Win2003 Server/Exchange. > I am simply moving from one organisation to another. > What is the best method? > T...

Import data from MAS 90
I have two worksheets 1) Data Summary 2) EC_GrossHours Data Summary sheet contains SS#, Name, etc... EC_GrossHours that contais SSN and other empolyee payroll data imported from MAS 90. Is there a way to format the record that gets imported into excel from Microsoft Query. All my social security numbers get imported as text (I think) and I have to copy an empty cell and paste special|add to get the my VLOOKUP function (See below on Data Summary Worksheet)to work correctly. =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,EC_GrossHoursLookup,8,0)),0,VLOOKUP(A2,EC_GrossHoursLookup,8,0)) A2 = SSN formatted as text EC_Gro...

protecting outlined data
I want to be able to use the expand/collapse function in outlines when the worksheet is protected. Copy this macro in a normal module It will run automatic when you open the workbook You can also use the workbook open event Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="rbelecki", userinterfaceonly:=True .EnableOutlining = True End With End Sub Look in the VBA help for more information about protect(userinterfaceonly) -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "rbelecki" <rbelecki@l...

Password Protect Outlook #2
I work in an offcie environment and sometimes have to leave my PC unattended for just a few minutes. Unfortunately some confidential emails have been read by my staff and I need a way of safeguarding them other than turning off the PC, is there any way I can password protect access into my Outlook 2000, so all I do is close Outlook. (Sorry still operating under W95) Many thanks You can set a password on a Personal Folders File. If the folder list isn't visible in Outlook, click View | Folder List. Right-click the root folder (usually "Personal Folders" or "Outlook T...

Quicken Password protected
I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my data from Quicken and the program says there is a password for my quicken account that is required, but I never had a password. No way to get past this. Any ideas? If your data file is Q04, Money04 can only deal with Q03 or older. Otherwise, who knows? "Stephen Weiss" <stephenaweiss@comcast.net> wrote in message news:012f01c3cb22$9a957ac0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my > data from Quicken and the program says there is a password > for my quicken account that is req...

How to protect 2. axis in an Excel Chart to stay if data changes
A Pivot table is created on Tab1 in an Excel workbook. On Tab2 there is a Line Chart created with data from Tab 1 using 2 axis. If data in Tab1 change the 2nd axis on Tab 2 disappears, jumps ober and overrules axis 1. How can I protect chart area with 2 axis being able to change referring data in the pivot table. ...

Password protection on split database
I have a database which is split into front end and back end. The front end is password protected but the backend isn't Is it possible to protect both with the same password? I've tried protecting the backend with a password but when I open the front end it can't "see" the backend. Any ideas? Thanks Tony Put a password on the backend, then, after opening the front-end, use the Linked Table Manager to update the links (just like you would if you had moved the backend). You should be prompted for the 'missing' password during this process. You should only...

pivot table empty cell
I need to have an empty cell be in the pivot table. I have multiple pivot tables I have generated for a report. I have created a worksheet that reads the data from the pivot table (so it looks nicer). I have tried to check the box in options that says to put a 0 or another symbol (*) in an empty cell and it doesn't work. I want people to be able to input their own data and refresh the pivot table. If I have four response options (sometimes, always, never, usually) and the new data does not have data for one of the options then the table that reads the data gets messed up with its numb...

Realistic Data Migration Costs
A client of mine was quoted $4,300 to migrate 2,500 records from a system which could export to .txt files. The only consideration from a straight import data view point, was that each Contact was related to an Account. The only details which were required to be imported were contact details (address, phone, mobile etc) and the association with the parent company. To my way of thinking, this is a serious design flaw of MSCRM if it requires this amount of work, to simply show the link between the contact and the account - am I missing something??? It would have ben far cheaper I know to use...

Protection
Hi everyone OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there a way that I can put a password for my profile on Microsoft outlook so that no one can read the new AND the old messages found in my inbox? You can put a password on your PST file, presuming you use a PST file... Emad Kamel wrote: > Hi everyone, > OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has > access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there > a way that I can put a password for my profile on Micr...

CANNOT PROTECT
Trying to password and read only protect a Microsoft Word docuement that is embedded in Excel. When I open the "protected" document, the read-only prompt does not appear...and I can still make changes and close the docuement. HELP! Try this: create the document directly in word, protect it and save it to disk. Then copy the text you want and past it special as an OLE object in excel Peter ...

Macro to clean empty cells
As I have had some great help from this group before, here is another request. Am looking to clean up some sheets in various workbooks in Excel 2007 Anybody able to help me out with a macro that will look for empty cells and then clear them out of all formats or hidden characters etc. that they may have but cant be seen. Will only need to run it on individual named sheets rather than on whole workbook many thanks ...

Data Validation
Guys Using version 2003. I'm enterng a comma separated text list in the data validation source dialog box. Is there a way to make the first list entry blank? Thanks in anticipation Kevin Worked like a charm. Many thanks, Micky "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote: > Assuming you want to have the letters a --> e. > As the Source type: X,a,b,c,d,e - where instead of the X you will press the > key combination: ALT+0160 > [use the small numeric pad to for the digits]. > Micky > > > "wild turkey no9" wrote: > > > ...

Spreadsheet password protection
How do you password protect a spreadsheet. I can't find anything in the help section. You can prevent un authorised access by giving a password to open the workbook itself, so that no one else can open it (Go to Tools, Options and then Security Tab). You can do it there if you have already saved the file, or you can go to "save as" then "Tools" and "General Options" where you can give password. On the other hand you can protect work sheets and ranges for different people by using "Tools" and then "Protection" Tab -- M Imran Buha...

How to protect cells?
I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone but me. Is this possible? Thanks. Mark, Please don't multipost. See the thread in .programming. John "Mark F." <m7829@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FSzQb.10797$6o4.894@fe2.texas.rr.com... > I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a > group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on > the same she...

How to Activate "Show all" in a Protected Shared Workbook
Hi, I created a protected and shared workbook in Excel 2003 ,the default Filter Option is "Auto Filter" how can I use the "Show All" in Filtering.? even I unchecked the "Filter Settings" in "Tools-> Share Workbook -> Advanced -> Include Personal View " but it did not work. Thanks. You can't. If the workbook were not shared, then you could create your own macro that unprotects the worksheet, does the showall and reprotects the worksheet. But with the workbook shared, you can't change the protection of a shee...

Formula omits adjacent cells: ignore a whole row at once?
Allowing space to add further rows in a spreadsheet gives me a whole row of totals where the formula is tagged as 'formula omits adjacent cells'. How can I get the thing to ignore the lot at once rather than having to open all the drop down dialogues one at a time? Cheers, S On Jul 18, 8:19 am, "spamlet" <spam.mores...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > Allowing space to add further rows in a spreadsheet gives me a whole row of > totals where the formula is tagged as 'formula omits adjacent cells'. How > can I get the thing to ignore the lot at once r...

Password protected sheet access
I have a spreadsheet protected with a unknown password. How do I access this sheet? Ps: the "read only" option is not available. Thanks, Rivane. Hi Rivane Is this the password for opening the file, or the one for unlocking locked cells in the already open sheet ? Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please. "Rivane Cardim" <rivane.cardim@exxonmobil.com> wrote in message news:0a8801c35dae$a03275a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have a spreadsheet protected with a unknown password. > How do I access this sheet? > > Ps: the "read only...

How do I pass series data x-value range to a chart from a cell?
I have a series on a line chart (x-values "=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10"). I also have two worksheet cells (B1 & B2) that contain the start and end date for the x-axis of the chart. I want to be able to link the chart series data to the start and end date values so that the chart automatically adjusts when I change the dates in the worksheet cells. I can create a string or address for the x-values but how do I do not know how to pass this to the chart series?? I know I can do this using a macro, but I want to do it without macros so that friends who use MicrosoftCharts (the cheap, n...

excel data recovery
PLEASE help! I had entered data and upon trying to sort the date column it rearranged my data. I desparately need to get it back to its format before I sorted. Is there a way to do this? Thank you! -- pasdtb "=?Utf-8?B?ZHRiMDU=?=" <dtb05@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:8F1C203D-B24E-47EE-A46F-700781F9B595@microsoft.com: > PLEASE help! I had entered data and upon trying to sort the date > column it rearranged my data. I desparately need to get it back to its > format before I sorted. Is there a way to do this? Thank you! Yes, Edit/Undo! Or first make a ...

How to navigate within a formula without changing cell references?
I have the following function in G20: =IF(C20>0,F20,"") I need to replace the second parameter (F20), with another IF statement. =IF(C20>0,IF(F20<>"",F20,"Error"),"") I go to G20 and press F2 to edit the formula. I move the cursor to just before the "F20" using the arrow keys and start typing in the new IF statement. When I have it entered, I need to move the cursor over the old F20 to finish the new IF statement, but Excel takes the arrow keys to mean I want to reference an adjacent cell. How can I get Excel to interpre...

Pivot Chart Graphing Wrong Data
Hi, I'm using Excel 2007 and I have a Pivot Table that represents Revenue A, Revenue B, and Grand Total Revenue (sum of A/B) for each of our sales reps. However, the pivot chart to graph these (simple line graph) is not functioning correctly. Revenue A is fine, but Grand Total is graphed correctly but is labeled Revenue B, and the actual Revenue B is not in the chart at all. Is this a bug in 07? Can someone please advise? Thanks in advance. Nate ...