Proctecting a cell's formatting

Hiya

Is there any way to lock a cell for everything except it's value?
have a nicely formatted set of cells, but whenever anything i
copy-pasted into them the formatting is overwritten. I still want th
values to be pasted, but borders and colour settings should remai
constant - effectively, I want to set the cells so that any pastin
operation is done as if it was a "paste special"->"Values".

Ideas

--
F*S
F*SH's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3635

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Why doesn't what I enter in the function bar appear in the cell?
I have a workbook that contains several copies of a master template worksheet. On one of these sheets when I enter text, it appears correctly in the function bar, but appears as a string of &s in the cell. This has only just occurred, and as far as I know used to work OK, i.e. it used to appear as text in the cell. What could cause this and what do I need to do to put it right? You wrote that the text appears as apersands (&). Did you really mean octothorpes (#)? If yes, then try formatting that cell as General--or anything but Text. Chris Mitchell wrote: > > I...

Copied web pg to Excel, why can't I find cell of a pic I can see?
I copied a web page to Excel to manipulate the information on it. I a trying to put that info onto another worksheet. On the firs worksheet, where I copied and pasted the web page, I can see a picture When I try to find what cell that picture is in, I cannot find it. Is it not possible to copy pictures? I see something in Excel hel that says .gif images are not copied. I have one of those also that want to use, and I can see it on the first worksheet, just cannot fin a cell for it. Thanks. dmv -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Rename Cells
I use Excel to track clock time, production time and days worked per week. I have renamed cells to personalize them for each employee for example: Bill A. clock hours week 1 = BAC1 Steve B. clock hours week 1 = SBC1 Dan C clock hours week 1 = DCC1 Is there an easier way to rename cells for the following week instead of manually going to each cell and typing; BAC2, SBC2, DCC2. Hi what do you mean with 'rename' have you used 'Insert - Name - Define' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany dlaatsch wrote: > I use Excel to track clock time, production time and days wor...

Formatting Cells #7
I have been having a problem lately when I try to format a group of cells. I need to change them to Short Date format, but when I click on a group of cells and either right click and select format or if I try the Ctrl+1 combo to bring up the format menu nothing happens. On other occasions it works. Is this a known bug? Any known way of solving this so it works all the time? Thanks! Lyle If Lori's response doesn't apply: The only time I've seen this is when the workbook was created by another program (Lotus 123 and Crystal Reports, for me). I could select a little bigger range ...

formula to copy contents of a column of cells into a row?
I'm creating a list of people that play a round-robing game against one another. I would like to have the top row of names automatically copy from the column of names, but I cannot seem to devise a formula that does this. It's hard to explain, but perhaps this example will help. If I have players John, Pete Mary Sally I would like to build a table that lookas as follows: ------ John Pete Mary Sally John ----- Pete ------ Mary ------ Sally ------ And I want to create a formule fo rthe top row so that is I add another name in the column of na...

CRM to send e-mails in plain text format
Hello! I was unable to find out how to configure CRM 4.0 to send all the e-mails from workflows in plain text format. Is it possible to do it? Thank you in advance, Hrvoje ...

Uncollapse Grouped Rows on a Proctected worksheet
I have grouped rows on a worksheet then protected the worksheet to prevent users from inserting rows. I would like to collapse the rows so the user only sees the group descriptions. I would then like them to uncollapse the group they wish to enter in. Any suggestions? Thanks. This setting isn't remembered between closing/reopening the workbook. (So Auto_open is a nice spot for it.) Option Explicit Sub auto_open() Dim wks As Worksheet Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1") With wks .Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True .Enabl...

If cell does not include @, then blank
cells A2:A901 contain email addresses. some say n/a, none, no, etc. I want to filter all those out...so I am trying to figure out how t write a formula that will only display the cell if the is and @ symbo included. Im not sure what function will search for a peticular character and ho to write the formul -- jermsalerm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jermsalerms's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3016 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50119 Use the auto filter command and...

linking cells and assort decending
I am trying to edit my worksheet I created but I have alot of linked cells and if I try to assort decend it will not keep the correct info in the correct rows. I would like to be about to have all my links and be able to sort based on who sold more and have the whole worksheet sort accordingly... help me please. -- Cindy Morgan ...

Copying date from sheet1 cell to sheet2 cell
I enter a date in sheet1 B2. I want date to appear in sheet2 C3. I used the formula CELL "contents" in C3. It works except when cell B2 is blank, 01/00/00 appears in C3. I want C3 to be blank also. I have both cells formatted to Date. You could use: =sheet1!b2 instead of =cells("contents",sheet1!b2) But to make the cell look empty: =if(sheet1!b2="","",sheet1!b2) Bobby wrote: > > I enter a date in sheet1 B2. I want date to appear in sheet2 C3. I used the > formula CELL "contents" in C3. It works except when cell B...

adjust width of single cell in Excel
How do I adjust the width of a single cell in Excel, not the whole column Width is a property of columns, not cells, so you can't change a single cell's width. As a workaround, you can merge two cells to get the combined width, but the result is usually more trouble than it's worth, as merged cells screw up an amazing number of U/I features... In article <02B10959-44FB-4699-9A33-358F6605EDBA@microsoft.com>, oravsky123 <oravsky123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I adjust the width of a single cell in Excel, not the whole column ...

How do I make a range of cells in a column equal to another cell
Vague, and you should always elaborate on your query in the message area (never leave it blank) Anyway, one thought .. Assume A1 will contain the common value for the range in B1:B5 Put in B1: =IF(A$1="","",A$1) Copy down to B5 -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "jggsfl" <jggsfl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDAECC8A-6402-4A13-9F38-89A3E9446C72@microsoft.com... > Re: How do I make a range of cells in a column equal to another cell ...

long text not visible in the cell of excel

CELL FORMATTING #9
WHY IS MY CELL FORMAT AT WORK DISPLAYED PROPERLY AS -1,500.OO IS DISPLAYED AS (1,500.00) AND WHEN i DO IT AT HOME Ii CANNOT GET THE CLOSEST I GOT IS -1,500.00 is there a diffence between the formatting cell options between Excel's programs.. Thanx. Hi Bumpa! Excel takes it from your Windows Regional options. Use: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional options Change the negative number format You'll find that you now have () options. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classific...

Some help in refernceing some cells
Hi there, I need help. I have a long list of numbers, and in each cell next to each number, want to display a color if that number appeared in the last 42 numbers So if it did - color "Green" and if not - color " RED" PLEASE HELP!! Anybody!! Thanks K -- kylekoopma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kylekoopman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2736 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46869 Use conditional formatting. Select row 43 down and use this form...

Counting Blank Cells
H16 I16 J16 $25.2 $33.8 The following formula counts the number of dollar values in H, I and J. =IF(H16="","",IF(M16>0,COUNT(H16:J16))) [answer =2] Without putting $0.00 in cell J16 how would I write a formula to count all three cells? [answer = 3] It depends on the requirement. Will J16 ever contain an actual value of 0? Are the values always positive? Do you want to count J16 even if H and I are empty? >=IF(H16="","",IF(M16>0,COUNT(H16:J16))) You don't have a value_if_false argument de...

Counting unique text/number cells from a range
Please consider a long range of text cells containing A, B, C, D....Z and more. Lets say it goes from H1 to H1500 A ->H1 A B F D A H D Try... =SUMPRODUCT((H1:H1500<>"")/COUNTIF(H1:H1500,H1:H1500&"")) Hope this helps! In article <sudeepd12.1qmzqc_1118786798.0235@excelforum-nospam.com>, sudeepd12 <sudeepd12.1qmzqc_1118786798.0235@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > Please consider a long range of text cells containing A, B, C, D....Z > and more. > > Lets say it goes from H1 to H1500 > > A ->H1 > A > B > F > ...

Advanced Quote.dot Formatting
I know that we can modify the quote.dot file and by hitting Alt F9 can see all the fields. I also know there was an issue with only the first product showing up on the quote.dot in version 1.0. I've read through all the threads on both this community as well as the MBS TechKnowledge site. Here's the issue I'm encountering. Whenever I touch (aka modify) the quote.dot file, it messes it up. For example, the standard quote.dot will print all three of my line items, including the lastitem record and print the summary of the quote for me. However, if I so much as add any ...

Generate absolute hyperlinks to cells
I want to know how to add an hyperlink to a cell. In one column I have the name of the movies and in the second column I have the hyperlinks to Amazon shop. So I want to obtain the following result if possible : <A HREF="B1">A1<BR></A> <A HREF="B2">A2<BR></A> ...... Thanks for your help ! Loïc ...

moving from cell to cell #2
When I first start up excel and click on a cell, it will not let me release that cell. It's like its stuck on there. It will high light every cell, but it won't let go of the very first cell, and I can't use any menus after that....Any thoughts??? This may help: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&mid=55aeb349-f4d5-4b8f-94ff-f98b605c40ae&sloc=en-us -- Gary's Student "Stumped" wrote: > When I first start up excel and click on a cell, it will not let me release > that cell. It's like ...

how do i delete cells or duplicate cells in a table ?
I went to make a table with 8 colums and 3 rows, which turned out fine..but now i need to make 3 more rows added on but half the size long with only 2 colums.. so i figure i can just duplicate or copy from my table 3 of these rows and shirk it and delete 1 cell...but trying to get help on how to add or remove cells seems the hard part ...

Proctecting a cell's formatting
Hiya Is there any way to lock a cell for everything except it's value? have a nicely formatted set of cells, but whenever anything i copy-pasted into them the formatting is overwritten. I still want th values to be pasted, but borders and colour settings should remai constant - effectively, I want to set the cells so that any pastin operation is done as if it was a "paste special"->"Values". Ideas -- F*S ----------------------------------------------------------------------- F*SH's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3635 ...

How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered
How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered. Example:A1 = 01/02/2005, A2 should Show Monday or MON. I have Excel 2000. Try this: Select the cell(s) that are impacted Format>Cells>Number tab Category: Custom Type: ddd Returns: Mon, Tue, etc Type: dddd Returns: Monday, Tuesday, etc Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "Captain" wrote: > How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered. > Example:A1 = 01/02/2005, A2 should Show Monday or MON. > I have Excel 2000. Captain Wrote: > How do I get a ...

Formatting numbers #3
Let's suppose I have 2 sheets in a worksheet. Sheet 1 is a entry form (dropbox for example) The source of the dropbox are fields of numbers in different formats (e.g: %; 0,000, etc) Sheet 2 This is where the numbers are going to after the user selection. So I would like to have, for example the following results: result a) BRANCH TOTAL A 1,000 B 45,000 result b) BRANCH PERCENTAGE A 44% B 51% Note that in result a) I need the cells to be formated as 0,000 and result b) I want the cells formate...

Delete contents of cells in a range based on value of a cell
I want to be able to delete the contents of a range of cells (A100:K200) based on the values I manually enter into cells A1 and B1, everything to run in Sheet1. A1's entry is the first row of the range to delete (A100:K100) and B1's entry is the last row of the range (A200:K200). Can someone provide a fairly simple macro for this? Thanks in advance. Michael To deleted entire rows, assuming by your example that A1 would be 100 and B1 would be 200. Sub dele() Dim x As Long, y As Long x = Range("A1").Value y = Range("B1").Value Rows(x &...