Problems with a simple formula

Using Excel 2002

Can't believe this! I have a spreadsheet that totals my services;
calculates the taxes and than I send it of as an invoice. I've taken up
a job that involves traveling and the company pays fuel expenses at 14%
of my total daily invoiced amount. I'm attempting to add this amount to
my invoice and I can't get it to work. The formula is about as simple as
you can get: this is what I have been trying. =sum(.14*I28). I28 is the
total of my invoice before I add the fuel charge. All that will show is
a blank cell; no error shows at all. Interesting think is that I can try
a similar formula referencing a different total on the same spreadsheet
and it works. It just doesn't want to take 14% of my invoice total at I28!
Obviously I'm doing something wrong!!!
0
Slaz
3/21/2010 5:17:56 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

First, you can make the formula simpler by using:
=.14*I28

You don't need the Sum function, as you're not summing anything.

However, that's unlikely to solve your problem.

Next, you should copy and paste your formulas when you post to these groups
so we know exactly what you are using. Lots of times people type in the
formula they think they have, but it's not what they are actually using,
which makes it impossible to solve their problem. But again, I doubt that's
the problem here.

If your result is a blank cell, my best guess it you are using a white font
in the cell. Try changing the font color to see if that helps.

Regards,
Fred

"Slaz" <theslaz@test.net> wrote in message
> Using Excel 2002
>
> Can't believe this! I have a spreadsheet that totals my services;
> calculates the taxes and than I send it of as an invoice. I've taken up a
> job that involves traveling and the company pays fuel expenses at 14% of
> my total daily invoiced amount. I'm attempting to add this amount to my
> invoice and I can't get it to work. The formula is about as simple as you
> can get: this is what I have been trying. =sum(.14*I28). I28 is the total
> of my invoice before I add the fuel charge. All that will show is a blank
> cell; no error shows at all. Interesting think is that I can try a similar
> formula referencing a different total on the same spreadsheet and it
> works. It just doesn't want to take 14% of my invoice total at I28!
> Obviously I'm doing something wrong!!!

0
Fred
3/21/2010 5:29:07 PM
Fred Smith wrote:
> First, you can make the formula simpler by using:
> =.14*I28
>
> You don't need the Sum function, as you're not summing anything.
>
> However, that's unlikely to solve your problem.
>
> Next, you should copy and paste your formulas when you post to these
> groups so we know exactly what you are using. Lots of times people type
> in the formula they think they have, but it's not what they are actually
> using, which makes it impossible to solve their problem. But again, I
> doubt that's the problem here.
>
> If your result is a blank cell, my best guess it you are using a white
> font in the cell. Try changing the font color to see if that helps.
>
> Regards,
> Fred
>
> "Slaz" <theslaz@test.net> wrote in message
>> Using Excel 2002
>>
>> Can't believe this! I have a spreadsheet that totals my services;
>> calculates the taxes and than I send it of as an invoice. I've taken
>> up a job that involves traveling and the company pays fuel expenses at
>> 14% of my total daily invoiced amount. I'm attempting to add this
>> amount to my invoice and I can't get it to work. The formula is about
>> as simple as you can get: this is what I have been trying.
>> =sum(.14*I28). I28 is the total of my invoice before I add the fuel
>> charge. All that will show is a blank cell; no error shows at all.
>> Interesting think is that I can try a similar formula referencing a
>> different total on the same spreadsheet and it works. It just doesn't
>> want to take 14% of my invoice total at I28!
>> Obviously I'm doing something wrong!!!

Thanks for your quick reply.

Fonts can't be set to white as I tried a simple addition formula and it
showed. I was incorrect when I said that the cell was blank. It does
show a $ sign and a - sign. My Bad!
This is a copy and paste of the formula I have been trying. =SUM(0.14*I28)
0
Slaz
3/21/2010 5:40:41 PM
If the result is $-, it sounds like a custom format. Check the format of the
cell, or simply change the format to a number and see if that helps.

> Fred Smith wrote:
>> First, you can make the formula simpler by using:
>> =.14*I28
>>
>> You don't need the Sum function, as you're not summing anything.
>>
>> However, that's unlikely to solve your problem.
>>
>> Next, you should copy and paste your formulas when you post to these
>> groups so we know exactly what you are using. Lots of times people type
>> in the formula they think they have, but it's not what they are actually
>> using, which makes it impossible to solve their problem. But again, I
>> doubt that's the problem here.
>>
>> If your result is a blank cell, my best guess it you are using a white
>> font in the cell. Try changing the font color to see if that helps.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Fred
>>
>> "Slaz" <theslaz@test.net> wrote in message
>>> Using Excel 2002
>>>
>>> Can't believe this! I have a spreadsheet that totals my services;
>>> calculates the taxes and than I send it of as an invoice. I've taken
>>> up a job that involves traveling and the company pays fuel expenses at
>>> 14% of my total daily invoiced amount. I'm attempting to add this
>>> amount to my invoice and I can't get it to work. The formula is about
>>> as simple as you can get: this is what I have been trying.
>>> =sum(.14*I28). I28 is the total of my invoice before I add the fuel
>>> charge. All that will show is a blank cell; no error shows at all.
>>> Interesting think is that I can try a similar formula referencing a
>>> different total on the same spreadsheet and it works. It just doesn't
>>> want to take 14% of my invoice total at I28!
>>> Obviously I'm doing something wrong!!!
>>
> Thanks for your quick reply.
>
> Fonts can't be set to white as I tried a simple addition formula and it
> showed. I was incorrect when I said that the cell was blank. It does show
> a $ sign and a - sign. My Bad!
> This is a copy and paste of the formula I have been trying. =SUM(0.14*I28)

0
Fred
3/21/2010 5:51:38 PM
Fred Smith wrote:
> If the result is $-, it sounds like a custom format. Check the format of
> the cell, or simply change the format to a number and see if that helps.
>
> Regards,
> Fred
>
> "Slaz" <theslaz@test.net> wrote in message
>> Fred Smith wrote:
>>> First, you can make the formula simpler by using:
>>> =.14*I28
>>>
>>> You don't need the Sum function, as you're not summing anything.
>>>
>>> However, that's unlikely to solve your problem.
>>>
>>> Next, you should copy and paste your formulas when you post to these
>>> groups so we know exactly what you are using. Lots of times people type
>>> in the formula they think they have, but it's not what they are actually
>>> using, which makes it impossible to solve their problem. But again, I
>>> doubt that's the problem here.
>>>
>>> If your result is a blank cell, my best guess it you are using a white
>>> font in the cell. Try changing the font color to see if that helps.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Fred
>>>
>>> "Slaz" <theslaz@test.net> wrote in message

>> Thanks for your quick reply.
>>
>> Fonts can't be set to white as I tried a simple addition formula and
>> it showed. I was incorrect when I said that the cell was blank. It
>> does show a $ sign and a - sign. My Bad!
>> This is a copy and paste of the formula I have been trying.
>> =SUM(0.14*I28)

Thank you; I got it to work. I changed the number format from currency
to general and the figure showed. I than changed it back to currency and
it worked! Go figure!!!!
0
Slaz

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

formula help #26
Is this possible? Find all cells in a column which match an item from a pull down list. Perform a sum of those rows in a different column and divide by a count of the matches to obtain an average. for one cell it might be like this. If X1 = C3 then R1=(Running SUM of C column matches)/ Count of C Column matches Where X1 is the pulldown value selected. R1 is the result -- Rikk Flohr gallery: www.fleetingglimpse.com consulting: www.fleetingglimpse.net blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fleetingglimpse/ =AVERAGE(IF(C1:C100=X1,C1:C1000)) which is an array formula, it should be com...

Problem with Authentication

Project 2007 Work Field Formula to Exclude Work Done by Resources Not in a Resource Group
I have a workshop task in my project schedule which is worked on by Resources from my company (Resource Group = VENDOR) and resources in the client's company (Resource Group = CLIENT). I need a formula to calculate WORK hours for ONLY the resources in Resource Group = VENDOR. I want to drop any hours that the CLIENT spends on the task and only calculate VENDOR hours. Does anyone have a formula? I am familiar with Project, but have not used formulas before. Could not find a formula to do this in any of the other forums on the net.. Thanks! +------------------------...

calendar problem

Internationalization for formulas & macros
Hi all, I have a relative who send me some Excel spreadsheet (97, 2000 or XP that contains formulas and macros written in english. However, I have a french version of Excel. Because of this, I can' open these spreadsheets. My question is quite simple. Is there a tool or an easy way to convert all formulas & macros withi a spreadsheet from english to french? Any help will be appreciated. Thank' -- micto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mictou's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1637 View this th...

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Excel formulas #3
I am using a workday fomula to fill in dates across my spreadsheet. The formula also removes holidays. I need to include Saturdays as a workday. How can I accomplish this? =B1+SMALL(IF((WEEKDAY(B1+(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&10))))={2,3,4,5,6,7})* ISNA(MATCH(B1+(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&10))),holidays,0)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&10))),1) this is an arry formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "aviationmech" <aviationmech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D014DA1C-4B9F-4285-8C28-C804362521...

Problem after sorting

Summary of data using array formula
I have a spreadsheet where there are several columns with data using validation picklists as well as free-entry columns. I would like to create a summary of the data in the form of counts based on the existence of specific values in these columns with the ability to change the date range. I've created the array formula and have set up a 'startdate' and 'enddate' cells where the user can enter the range they're looking for. No matter what I do the value always reports a zero. I have used these types of array formulas before, however, not using date rang...

IF AND problem