Problem opening Txt file in excel 2007

Hi there,

We are trying to open .txt documents in excel like we used to in excel 2003, 
but since upgrade to excel 2007 when we right click and try to open the txt 
file with excel 2007 it always opens it in Notepad...    Even when we 
specifically choose Excel to open it with, it still opens it with notepad..

Does anyone know an easy fix for this by any chance??

Cheers! 


0
me5306 (285)
8/29/2008 1:43:54 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
377 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 58

Open Excel, then Office button, Open, and get your txt file from there.

T. Smith wrote:

> Hi there,
> 
> We are trying to open .txt documents in excel like we used to in excel 2003, 
> but since upgrade to excel 2007 when we right click and try to open the txt 
> file with excel 2007 it always opens it in Notepad...    Even when we 
> specifically choose Excel to open it with, it still opens it with notepad..
> 
> Does anyone know an easy fix for this by any chance??
> 
> Cheers! 
> 
> 

0
birelan (531)
8/29/2008 2:10:09 PM
Hey there Bob, yes you're right, that does work and would be my solution for 
sure...  The users (typical) want to be able to do it the same way as before 
where they right click on the file and open with Excel.  Odd that it doesn't 
work for them now. On other computers it does, just not one department 
here...

Any ideas what's different, or can be changed to resolve?

"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:OmtUzDeCJHA.3268@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Open Excel, then Office button, Open, and get your txt file from there.
>
> T. Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> We are trying to open .txt documents in excel like we used to in excel 
>> 2003, but since upgrade to excel 2007 when we right click and try to open 
>> the txt file with excel 2007 it always opens it in Notepad...    Even 
>> when we specifically choose Excel to open it with, it still opens it with 
>> notepad..
>>
>> Does anyone know an easy fix for this by any chance??
>>
>> Cheers!
> 


0
me5306 (285)
8/29/2008 2:32:45 PM
You will have to "force" the issue. R-click the TXT file, select Choose 
program, then in the next dialog box, put a tick in Always Use, THEN 
pick Excel. That should cause it to be opened in Excel by double-click 
from then on.

T. Smith wrote:

> Hey there Bob, yes you're right, that does work and would be my solution for 
> sure...  The users (typical) want to be able to do it the same way as before 
> where they right click on the file and open with Excel.  Odd that it doesn't 
> work for them now. On other computers it does, just not one department 
> here...
> 
> Any ideas what's different, or can be changed to resolve?
> 
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
> news:OmtUzDeCJHA.3268@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> 
>>Open Excel, then Office button, Open, and get your txt file from there.
>>
>>T. Smith wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>We are trying to open .txt documents in excel like we used to in excel 
>>>2003, but since upgrade to excel 2007 when we right click and try to open 
>>>the txt file with excel 2007 it always opens it in Notepad...    Even 
>>>when we specifically choose Excel to open it with, it still opens it with 
>>>notepad..
>>>
>>>Does anyone know an easy fix for this by any chance??
>>>
>>>Cheers!
>>
> 
> 

0
birelan (531)
8/29/2008 3:16:49 PM
Ya, that's what I thought, but it keeps opening it with Notepad...  Weird...

If a new user logs onto the computer that didn't already have a profile on 
the computer it works fine.  Just not with the users currently on there.  I 
could always blow away the profile and rebuild their profiles, but if 
there's a different solution for it I'd like to try that first...




"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:OPxVDpeCJHA.2480@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> You will have to "force" the issue. R-click the TXT file, select Choose 
> program, then in the next dialog box, put a tick in Always Use, THEN pick 
> Excel. That should cause it to be opened in Excel by double-click from 
> then on.
>
> T. Smith wrote:
>
>> Hey there Bob, yes you're right, that does work and would be my solution 
>> for sure...  The users (typical) want to be able to do it the same way as 
>> before where they right click on the file and open with Excel.  Odd that 
>> it doesn't work for them now. On other computers it does, just not one 
>> department here...
>>
>> Any ideas what's different, or can be changed to resolve?
>>
>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
>> news:OmtUzDeCJHA.3268@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>Open Excel, then Office button, Open, and get your txt file from there.
>>>
>>>T. Smith wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Hi there,
>>>>
>>>>We are trying to open .txt documents in excel like we used to in excel 
>>>>2003, but since upgrade to excel 2007 when we right click and try to 
>>>>open the txt file with excel 2007 it always opens it in Notepad... 
>>>>Even when we specifically choose Excel to open it with, it still opens 
>>>>it with notepad..
>>>>
>>>>Does anyone know an easy fix for this by any chance??
>>>>
>>>>Cheers!
>>>
>>
>>
> 


0
me5306 (285)
8/29/2008 4:01:26 PM
You could take a look in Folder options, File types, TXT and see what 
the difference is between the two profiles.

T. Smith wrote:

> Ya, that's what I thought, but it keeps opening it with Notepad...  Weird...
> 
> If a new user logs onto the computer that didn't already have a profile on 
> the computer it works fine.  Just not with the users currently on there.  I 
> could always blow away the profile and rebuild their profiles, but if 
> there's a different solution for it I'd like to try that first...
> 
> 
> 
> 
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
> news:OPxVDpeCJHA.2480@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> 
>>You will have to "force" the issue. R-click the TXT file, select Choose 
>>program, then in the next dialog box, put a tick in Always Use, THEN pick 
>>Excel. That should cause it to be opened in Excel by double-click from 
>>then on.
>>
>>T. Smith wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Hey there Bob, yes you're right, that does work and would be my solution 
>>>for sure...  The users (typical) want to be able to do it the same way as 
>>>before where they right click on the file and open with Excel.  Odd that 
>>>it doesn't work for them now. On other computers it does, just not one 
>>>department here...
>>>
>>>Any ideas what's different, or can be changed to resolve?
>>>
>>>"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
>>>news:OmtUzDeCJHA.3268@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>>
>>>>Open Excel, then Office button, Open, and get your txt file from there.
>>>>
>>>>T. Smith wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Hi there,
>>>>>
>>>>>We are trying to open .txt documents in excel like we used to in excel 
>>>>>2003, but since upgrade to excel 2007 when we right click and try to 
>>>>>open the txt file with excel 2007 it always opens it in Notepad... 
>>>>>Even when we specifically choose Excel to open it with, it still opens 
>>>>>it with notepad..
>>>>>
>>>>>Does anyone know an easy fix for this by any chance??
>>>>>
>>>>>Cheers!
>>>>
>>>
> 
> 

0
birelan (531)
8/29/2008 5:23:34 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

encoding problem in Outlook 2007 importing Outlook 2000 personal folders
I use Outlook 2007 to import the pst file of Outlook 2000. The Chinese characters in the subject became unreadable but it's ok to display in message body. In Outlook 2000, there's no problem to display the Chinese characters in the subject. What's wrong with Outlook 2007? What setttings should I change to fix the problem? Thanks. cyl <u8526505@gmail.com> wrote: > I use Outlook 2007 to import the pst file of Outlook 2000. The Chinese > characters in the subject became unreadable but it's ok to display in > message body. In Outlook 2000, there's no problem t...

List of DDE commands for Excel
Hi, I wont to send some commands from my application to Excel via DDE. Fo example : to select specific sheet in the excel workbook I use nex command - [WORKBOOK.SELECT("sheet-name")]. But I can't find the list of all these commands. Please help me -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you have a look in the object browser in the excel visual basi editor it will have a list of the VB commands excel will accept and i you hit F1 on them it will tell you what they do and usually giv syntax. Dunca -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com 2 DNF Karran Th...

Problem shortcuts in Word
Hello, I work with Word 2008. In the beginning there is no problem, but suddenly i have problem with shortcuts. When i want to do "cmd c" it make an other shortcuts same thing for "cmd s", "cmd v" and surly some other. But when i write there is no problem "c" is "c"... If somebody have an idea please help me. Thank you. Unless you indicate your specific update level of Office as well as OS X & describe what the keystrokes *are* doing contrary to what you expect there isn't much we can offer. -- Regards |:>)...

Outlook 2003 PST problems
I just installed Office 2003 professional on a new computer & am having problems with outlook. I copied my Outlook.pst file into the appropriate directory & although it is recognized the calendar is not working properly. I cannot attach any of the colored labels to my appointments - so everything is pretty much in black & white. I totally uninstalled & reinstalled office... first removing my pst file... but there appears to be an ini file... or something that is retaining some information... does anyone know of a fix for the labels... or how to TOTALLY uninstall office (so I...

Problem with Authentication
The CRM application was running smooth. But now I can't logging. It ask my credentials and than return a 401.1 error. I had already reinstalled the CRM server but it won't work. I'm accessing it in the same local network. I'm running CRM 3.0 in SBS. Best regards, Erico Hi When you open a Internet explorer and type the name of the CRM server, it prompts for user and password ? Are you logged in with domain credentials ( AD user ) ? If you are, so add url of the crm server in Local intranet. Enable "Automatic logon only in intranet", this is under security,c...

Vista blue screen problem...please help!
I've seen some other threads, here are the dump files: 'RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting' (http://rapidshare.com/files/347103149/Minidump.rar.html) Please, help me out here. -- ceVil It might be better to know at what point the bsod occurs and what the actual err.msg given is "ceVil" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:0b9a0c60b90bf6c0be88bda30f2820ab@nntp-gateway.com... > > I've seen some other threads, here are the dump files: > 'RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting' > (...

How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?
How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003? That need some explaining. Excel genially goes use variables but rather uses cell references. Cells can be given names (such as x) but it is not required. Tell use more about what you wish to accomplish best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ACE70A4-D4EC-4B79-8552-B7BA11BE9B38@microsoft.com... > How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003? Put a 1 into any cell - let'...

calendar problem
Dear all, I am using both mail and calendar function in outlook 2002. Everything is ok until recently, when I try to make a new appointment or checking any old appointments, an error message "out of memory or resource, try to close some windows..." pop up. The mail function is still ok. Can anyone tell me how can I solve this? I have already installed sp2. The version of office is the professional one with frontpage. Thanks. tp ...

format of emailed excel file
In excel 2003 when I email a a particulat worksheet in a workbook I lose all the formating when it is recieved in Outlook 2003. Is there anyway to preserve the excel "look"? Thnaks, Craig S ...

problem #4
Hi, I am facing this new problem... i.e a user has installed Office 2003 on win2k prof platform.. whenever she is working on a outlook.. she gets a Microsoft error message... saying to send the report or don't send the report... Usually I have seen this problem in IE... But for outlook it is new to me... after clicking on send or don't send report.. the outlook closes. And there are no IE open..... and if atall it is open.. the IE does not close... Need your help regards, KAH What is logged to the Event Viewer regarding this? Try one of the following already; http://www.howt...

Show file location in title bar?
Is there a way to make Excel or Word show the location of a file in the title bar. Right now, it just shows the name of the file. I was thinking in 2003, it showed the file location, or perhaps there was an option to show it? I can't find the same thing in 2007 and it would be extremely helpful to have it! I use template files with the same name (for easy searching) but save in different client folders, which is why I want it to display the full path. Otherwise, I wouldn't care. Thanks!! Add "Document Location" to the QAT. You'll find it in the "Com...

Need to change Autofilters behaviour in Excel 2003
Hello, Does anybody knows how to change the color of the triangle arrow on the column titles of autofilter ranges? Presently, when a filter is put on one column, the arrow for this column is changed from black to very dark blue. I need to change this color, so that this becomes more visible. At our office, my boss cannot make any difference between these two colors. This is a problem for daily work. Thanks in advance for any help. Bertrand from Tokyo, Japan see response to your earlier posting -- Regards Roger Govier Bertrand wrote: > Hello, > > Does any...

95 and 97 problem
For some unknown reason there is Excel 95 and 97 on this pc.When i double click on an Excel file, the pc defaults to the 95 program (Which incidently doesn't work properly). So my question is how do i get the pc to default to 97. Cheers Craig Craig, Have a look at Windows Help. From Windows 2000 Help (Index under Programs Associating with File Types) To change which program starts when you open a file In My Computer or Windows Explorer, on the View menu, click Folder Options. Click the File Types tab. In the list of file types, click the one you want to change. Click Edit. In Act...

sync problems
I have all of my info on an HP Ipac. I had to reformat the hard drive and I did not make a back-up file. I am trying to move everything back to the computer but it says there is an error with syncing it. How can I move everything from the PDA back to Outlook again? Please help- thanks ...

AS400 transfer into Excel 07
When I run the "transfer from AS400" I get to the final process where its pulling the data into excel, excel crashes with a fatal error. Any help.... This is the same issue I am having. see KB933666. I installed Office 2003 service Pack 3 on all my office machines and the new service pack features security fixes that block all *.wk4 files. This is the same patch that has been applied to Office 2007. This is the format, I think your are exporting out of the AS400. If it is, I would uninstall office 2007, make sure the folder is deleted then reinstall Office 2007 after a reb...

Date problem
I can't believe there's no post on this, but I can't find it. I've tried the solutions I could find (see below) and still get the error: "The expression is typed incorrectly or it is too complex to be evaluated. For example....Try simplifying...." I have a date field, formatted as Date/Time, General Date, default Value = Now(). I like having the date and the time - in case we need it. I want to run a report on calls taken just for one day. I have CallDate: CallDateAndTime in my query, with "criteria" as Between ([Forms]![frmReports]![txtStartDate]) A...

error opening Outlook #4
I just installed Office XP standard onto a new Sony laptop running XP Pro. All other Office programs work fine except for Outlook. When Outlook opens it stays open for just a few seconds and then closes. Next time I try to open it I get a "safe mode" message but it still does not open. I have installed, unistalled and reinstalled. I have booted and rebooted. Your thoughts? Try a new mail profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. Af...

Office 2007 - HELP
I have used Word for many years and love it - not too thrilled with the changes in Office 2007, but my bigger issue is with Publisher 2007. I have an image that I have used in Word just fine - meaning, the on screen colors are correct and when printed the colors are correct. Someone sent me a Publisher file and asked me to add the image - I did this - now the image is messed up - the colors are correct on screen, but when printed FROM MY computer the image colors are all wrong - but if I transport the file to a different computer it prints fine I have reinstalled Office - no good Any id...

Installation Problem!!
I am having a problem installing MSCRM 1.2. My configuration consists of a Domain Controller running Win 2000 Server SP4 . I am trying to install MSCRM on a member of the domain running Windows 2000 Server SP4. There is a DNS Server on the DC which is integrated with AD, and a SQL Server 2000 running on the Win 2K machine. The install errors out when CRM creates the root business with the message: Setup was unable to install Microsoft CRM Server. Setup was unable to provision your organization. Setup was unable to create the root business. The configuration of ASP.NET seems to be ok, the pr...

Resource editor problems
Hello all, Under VC++ 7.1... Please consider these two lines: IDC_ARROW_ADD_CANCEL DISCARDABLE "res\\cur00004.cur" IDC_ARROW_ADD_CANCEL CURSOR DISCARDABLE "res\\cur00004.cur" The second is a hand-edited change to the first. Both will compile just fine in the resource compiler. However, after I use a text editor to make this change, I cannot open the .rc file in the resource editor. The resource editor issues the following error open attempting to open the .rc file: error RC2135 : file not found: CURSOR Can anyone shed light on what's going on here? Thanks, Dave ...

Problems Creating a disclaimer in Exchange 2003
I am trying to create a server based disclaimer that will stamp all of my smtp emails going to the internet. I have been following KB article 317680 with no luck. I get an error like the one below. Binding Display Name Specified: smtpscriptinghost ** Registration Failed ** Err.Number (HRESULT) = 0x1AD Err.Description = ActiveX component can't create object ProgID = cdo.ss_smtponarrival COM Category = {FF3CAA23-00B9-11d2-9DFB-00C04FA322BA} Corresponding Event = onarrival ** Have you registered your sink COM class on this machine? I am puttin...

Excel
Hi! I have an Excel sheet were I have a few formulas. When the sheet is empty of numbers the formula return the value #DIV/O! I would like to know how I can hide this text - it does not look neat. I want the formula to be there; but to show as empty. I have tried to use conditional formatting which does hide the formula - but it then also hides the result when I actually put numbers into the sheet. Kathrine, Norway Kathrine, Did you use a formula in CF, such as =ISERROR(A1) You could also change your formula to =IF(ISERROR(the_formula),"", the_formula) -- HTH RP (re...

Directory Replication Problem #2
Hi, recently my Exchange Server directory database receives changes from other servers but does not send out its own changes. Check from the knowledge base, to correct the USN discrepancy need to use Authrest.exe (need to amke changes for about 100+ users). Does anybody know where to get this file 'Authrest.exe' for exchange server 5.5? Exchange server 5.5 CD only provide this file for ver.4.0. Have anyone use it before? Regards, "Sharon Tan" <sharon_tansk@yahoo.com.sg> wrote: >Hi, recently my Exchange Server directory database >receives changes from ot...

Outlook won't open after reinstalling it after installing Windows
My computer crashed. I installed Windows 7, and then reinstalled Office 2007. Outlook will not open. Any suggestions? Margye Hixson Suggest providing information. Include what you did, what happened and any and all error messages. Be detailed as if we weren't there and don't know what happened. -- Russ Valentine "Margye" <Margye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F85CAAC-2042-4CAB-A329-EF6B3A682189@microsoft.com... > My computer crashed. I installed Windows 7, and then reinstalled Office > 2007. > Outlook will not open....

Cell Format
I have a spreadsheet with cells that I'm trying to type the date into. I type in the date exactly like this: 09/26/03. When I hit "enter" MS Excel displays "37890" in the cell. No matter what I do I can't the cell to show: 09/26/03. I think that somehow I need to "strip" the cell of what it's original format is, but I can't figure out how. I try to use the Date option in the format cell screen but it doesn't work. Curtis I tried this and it didn't work. I also tried the "Text to columns" feature. No success. >...