Presentation quality Excel tables?

HI all,

After collecting many data, I want to summarize data into a table and
then put into both powerpoint and Word document for presentation and
report use.

Could anybody show me how to design a Excel table that really looks
great? Any templates? I designed a bunch of tables myself and because
I am lacking of artistic senses, my tables look ugly...

One requirement is that I have to make this data table in Black/White,
because in the report, mostly people print it out in Black/White, the
color will get distorted if it document is in color mode. To save
overall time, why don't I just design the whole table in Black/White
and reuse the tables both in report and presentation? Unless there is
a way to easily convert colorful presentation mode table into a Black/
White report mode table?

Anyway, I really want to make my data tables visually appealing and a
lot of tables are comparing data and results... want to make sure my
audience and my boss gasp at my work. But also to save time, I have to
start the table in Excel, right?

Please help! Thanks a lot!
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I believe you have the wrong forum.  Maybe Publisher or Templates group would
be more appropriate.

"LunaMoon" wrote:

> HI all,
>
> After collecting many data, I want to summarize data into a table and
> then put into both powerpoint and Word document for presentation and
> report use.
>
> Could anybody show me how to design a Excel table that really looks
> great? Any templates? I designed a bunch of tables myself and because
> I am lacking of artistic senses, my tables look ugly...
>
> One requirement is that I have to make this data table in Black/White,
> because in the report, mostly people print it out in Black/White, the
> color will get distorted if it document is in color mode. To save
> overall time, why don't I just design the whole table in Black/White
> and reuse the tables both in report and presentation? Unless there is
> a way to easily convert colorful presentation mode table into a Black/
> White report mode table?
>
> Anyway, I really want to make my data tables visually appealing and a
> lot of tables are comparing data and results... want to make sure my
> audience and my boss gasp at my work. But also to save time, I have to
> start the table in Excel, right?
>
> Please help! Thanks a lot!

0
JLGWhiz1 (12)
8/23/2008 6:18:01 PM
Excel 2007 easily allows you to create presentation quality tables that will
make your boss gasp.

Not so easy in pre-2007 the quality of the graphics are not that great,
although it can be done, alternatively you might want to find a secondary app
to beef them up.
Excel autoformat i find poor.

I have a standard set of simple but very neat table format i use, dark blue
cell background and white text for headings, font is tahoma, cell text colour
dark blue, dotted grey interior borders, dark blue table border, rightbelow
drop shadow.
Also in excel i hide all the grid lines by making the worksheet cell colour
white, looks more cleaner.
No changes are necessary for BW printing as blue translates to black.

Post back if you need more help.
--

_______________________
Naz,

"LunaMoon" wrote:

> HI all,
>
> After collecting many data, I want to summarize data into a table and
> then put into both powerpoint and Word document for presentation and
> report use.
>
> Could anybody show me how to design a Excel table that really looks
> great? Any templates? I designed a bunch of tables myself and because
> I am lacking of artistic senses, my tables look ugly...
>
> One requirement is that I have to make this data table in Black/White,
> because in the report, mostly people print it out in Black/White, the
> color will get distorted if it document is in color mode. To save
> overall time, why don't I just design the whole table in Black/White
> and reuse the tables both in report and presentation? Unless there is
> a way to easily convert colorful presentation mode table into a Black/
> White report mode table?
>
> Anyway, I really want to make my data tables visually appealing and a
> lot of tables are comparing data and results... want to make sure my
> audience and my boss gasp at my work. But also to save time, I have to
> start the table in Excel, right?
>
> Please help! Thanks a lot!

0
Naz (61)
8/23/2008 7:44:01 PM
Dear Naz,

Could you please send me the templates?

I have both 2007 and 2003.

Again, I'd like to hear your comments.

To make it both for presentation and report, I have chosen to do it
Black/White, because most of my readers print in Black/White...

So I am primarily looking for neat layouts/styles/templates in B/W...

Any more thoughts?

Thanks!

On Aug 23, 3:44=A0pm, Naz <N...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Excel 2007 easily allows you to create presentation quality tables that w=
ill
> make your boss gasp.
>
> Not so easy in pre-2007 the quality of the graphics are not that great,
> although it can be done, alternatively you might want to find a secondary=
 app
> to beef them up.
> Excel autoformat i find poor.
>
> I have a standard set of simple but very neat table format i use, dark bl=
ue
> cell background and white text for headings, font is tahoma, cell text co=
lour
> dark blue, dotted grey interior borders, dark blue table border, rightbel=
ow
> drop shadow.
> Also in excel i hide all the grid lines by making the worksheet cell colo=
ur
> white, looks more cleaner.
> No changes are necessary for BW printing as blue translates to black.
>
> Post back if you need more help. =A0
> --
>
> _______________________
> Naz,
> London
> nazim1421ataoldotcom
>
> "LunaMoon" wrote:
> > HI all,
>
> > After collecting many data, I want to summarize data into a table and
> > then put into both powerpoint and Word document for presentation and
> > report use.
>
> > Could anybody show me how to design a Excel table that really looks
> > great? Any templates? I designed a bunch of tables myself and because
> > I am lacking of artistic senses, my tables look ugly...
>
> > One requirement is that I have to make this data table in Black/White,
> > because in the report, mostly people print it out in Black/White, the
> > color will get distorted if it document is in color mode. To save
> > overall time, why don't I just design the whole table in Black/White
> > and reuse the tables both in report and presentation? Unless there is
> > a way to easily convert colorful presentation mode table into a Black/
> > White report mode table?
>
> > Anyway, I really want to make my data tables visually appealing and a
> > lot of tables are comparing data and results... want to make sure my
> > audience and my boss gasp at my work. But also to save time, I have to
> > start the table in Excel, right?
>
> > Please help! Thanks a lot!

Hi Naz,

I've got your files. They look great! In order to use them, I have the
following questions:

1. My boss only uses 2003, and I have the 2007. The 2007 looks much
nicer, and I want to do the 2007 and insert to my powerpoint for
better visual looks. How to manage two copies 2003 and 2007 at the
same time with minimal wasted efforts? Is there a way to maintain it
in 2003 and when I need it for powerpoint I manipulate it in 2007?

2. What's the best way to copy&paste the table into powerpoint? I have
tried copy and paste into Powerpoint directly and they look ugly and
the width and heights of the cells are distorted. I have also tried to
copy and paste to Paint.exe first and use Paint as an intermediary,
the result also looks ugly.

3. You mentioned about applying a formatter, to change the format and
style of tables easily, how to do that? I ask this because I want to
potentially do color mode in presentation and easily switch to B/W
mode in print...

Thanks a lot for your help!

JLGWhiz <JLGW...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>I believe you have the wrong forum. =A0Maybe Publisher or Templates group
>would be more appropriate.
=2E..

So true. The 99.9% of humans for whom 'presentation quality tables'
isn't a BS red flag can't comprehend tables of more than 4 columns or
6 rows. For the 0.1% who can comprehend bigger tables, formatting is
an almost certain indicator that the 'data' requires BS filtering.

Depressing that presentation of these tables seems to be more
important than summarizing the presumed information from them. As I
just learned in a 'Communicating with Dummies' training, most
effective to present conclusions first, then present argument/
derivation/proof, and finally provide data as an appendix because
decision makers only really care about the conclusions.

People who understand what they're doing don't care about formatting.
The converse also holds, and is perhaps more revealing.
0
hrlngrv1 (375)
8/24/2008 10:53:22 PM
Please also send me the templates
louww@vodamail.co.za

"LunaMoon" wrote:

> Hi Naz,
>
> I've got your files. They look great! In order to use them, I have the
> following questions:
>
> 1. My boss only uses 2003, and I have the 2007. The 2007 looks much
> nicer, and I want to do the 2007 and insert to my powerpoint for
> better visual looks. How to manage two copies 2003 and 2007 at the
> same time with minimal wasted efforts? Is there a way to maintain it
> in 2003 and when I need it for powerpoint I manipulate it in 2007?
>
> 2. What's the best way to copy&paste the table into powerpoint? I have
> tried copy and paste into Powerpoint directly and they look ugly and
> the width and heights of the cells are distorted. I have also tried to
> copy and paste to Paint.exe first and use Paint as an intermediary,
> the result also looks ugly.
>
> 3. You mentioned about applying a formatter, to change the format and
> style of tables easily, how to do that? I ask this because I want to
> potentially do color mode in presentation and easily switch to B/W
> mode in print...
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
>

> On Aug 23, 3:52 pm, LunaMoon <lunamoonm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Naz,
> >
> > Could you please send me the templates?
> >
> > I have both 2007 and 2003.
> >
> > Again, I'd like to hear your comments.
> >
> > To make it both for presentation and report, I have chosen to do it
> > Black/White, because most of my readers print in Black/White...
> >
> > So I am primarily looking for neat layouts/styles/templates in B/W...
> >
> > Any more thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > On Aug 23, 3:44 pm, Naz <N...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Excel 2007 easily allows you to create presentation quality tables that will
> > > make your boss gasp.
> >
> > > Not so easy in pre-2007 the quality of the graphics are not that great,
> > > although it can be done, alternatively you might want to find a secondary app
> > > to beef them up.
> > > Excel autoformat i find poor.
> >
> > > I have a standard set of simple but very neat table format i use, dark blue
> > > cell background and white text for headings, font is tahoma, cell text colour
> > > dark blue, dotted grey interior borders, dark blue table border, rightbelow
> > > drop shadow.
> > > Also in excel i hide all the grid lines by making the worksheet cell colour
> > > white, looks more cleaner.
> > > No changes are necessary for BW printing as blue translates to black.
> >
> > > Post back if you need more help.
> > > --
> >
> > > _______________________
> > > Naz,
> > > London
> > > nazim1421ataoldotcom

0
wynand (6)
8/25/2008 3:14:01 PM
Edit / Paste Special / Device Independent Bitmap or Picture.  This will give
an image only, but will look just like it did on your screen.

Regards
                 Ken.......................

"LunaMoon" <lunamoonmoon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> > > Could anybody show me how to design a Excel table that really looks
> > > great? Any templates? I designed a bunch of tables myself and because
> > > I am lacking of artistic senses, my tables look ugly...
>
> > > One requirement is that I have to make this data table in Black/White,
> > > because in the report, mostly people print it out in Black/White, the
> > > color will get distorted if it document is in color mode. To save
> > > overall time, why don't I just design the whole table in Black/White
> > > and reuse the tables both in report and presentation? Unless there is
> > > a way to easily convert colorful presentation mode table into a Black/
> > > White report mode table?
>
> > > Anyway, I really want to make my data tables visually appealing and a
> > > lot of tables are comparing data and results... want to make sure my
> > > audience and my boss gasp at my work. But also to save time, I have to

0
ken.wright (2489)

excel not opening up files
Excel - won't open with double click, must open Excel then browse for document? as well when i recive excel documents in outlook i try to double click on them but i get the same result excel opens but i just get a blank screen no work sheet but the menu is up on the screen this is excel 2002 sp3 .. this just starting happening to one user about 3 days ago and now i have 2 more users that have the same issue . the excel files are assioated with excel . no issues there . when i double click them no issues .. or if they come in via e-mail .. if i forward the e-mail to myself i can open t...

Excel Charts do not Update with change of data
I have an extensive time-series data base that drives more than 150 (mostly) column charts. I use a toggle box that lets me to select (using VLOOKUP) any 24-month period of data from the data base to show on each chart. The system was working well, but has recently stopped working when the data base was expanded. The toggle box still changes the charting range, but the charts do not update. If I save and restart the workbook, the charts appear updated. I have tried seperating the workbook into multiple workbooks and I have tried spreading the charts over multiple worksheets, but the...

Presentation Properties
I have PPT 2007. I have always wondered how to make good use of the Powerpoint Properties dialog box. How can Keywords and Category, for example, be put to good use? What searching system can look inside the properties? Are any properties useful for SEO if a presentation is posted on a website? Thank you. Alessandra In article <51fec317-0258-4865-8da6- dff4d72bdfae@10g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>, Alessandra wrote: > I have PPT 2007. I have always wondered how to make good use of the > Powerpoint Properties dialog box. > How can Keywords and Category, for example, be...

Pivot Table in a Shared Workbook
Hi! Can I use pivottables in a shared workbook? The reason I ask is that its greyed out in a shared WB but not in a non-shared. I can't find anything on this, perhaps somebody can help? thanks! Chris You can't change or create a pivot table in a shared workbook. For more information on shared workbooks, look in Excel's Help, under the topic 'Features that are unavailable in shared workbooks' Riskybizniz wrote: > Hi! Can I use pivottables in a shared workbook? The reason I ask is that its > greyed out in a shared WB but not in a non-shared. I can't find any...

hello all, excel list?
Hi everyone, I have a quick question regarding excel lists. I want to create an excel drop down list where I select a certain title from the list. It then puts out 2-3 lines of information onto the main worksheet So in the list i chose Joe Smith it would then put out on the top of the spreadsheet or anywhere on the spreadsheet.. "Joe Smith, Phonenumber, currently works in this department, currently drives this car. If someone could help me on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Links or anything would be awesome. Thanks! -- Sundeep --------------------------------------...

excel macro? expiration reminders
I am writing this for a friend. He works in the business office of real estate company. He has a spreadsheet that contains listings an their expiration dates, and wants to be able to to have excel remin him so many days before the listing expires (and up to so many after i case he is not working the day a listing expires so it can remind hi later). Is there a way, perhaps a macro that pops up a window t remind, or some way to do this? Hopefully this is enough info but ca provide more if necessary. K -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi KB, Although not too familiar with th...

Excel merge to Publisher 2003
Hello, I would like to create a directory by merging my excel spreadsheet data to Publisher, with the end result being a directory that includes contact information. Within the spread that are 15sheets that I would have to merge. Please advise -- Nancy For a directory I'd recommend the catalog merge. Lots of help here Mail and catalog merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH062524751033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jessica@aol.com" <Jessicaaolcom@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Using Excel to model multi-dimensional system with Solver
Hi, I'm looking for some ideas here...I'm building a resource planning model in Excel, which looks a bit like a calendar, with Months and Tasks, i.e. two dimensions, corresponding to columns and rows. The model uses Solver to reach a solution. I want to bring in another couple of dimensions; Staff Grade and Team. I could have the data in a single sheet with Months along the top in columns, and then three row grouping levels, Tasks, Grades and Teams, but this is inefficient with space, and quite complex to program in VBA. Is there a better data structure? The data seems to me more su...

Merging Different excel files into one
I use excel as a contact database and I create e new one for each project I do. They have 300 or so people in them and include name, address, and other contact information. The problem is over the uears I have created 30 or so of these and the positions in each one are different. For example in one the email address may be in column f and in another it may be i and in another aa. They all have the same basic information, just all in different columns. Is there any way to merge all 30 of these into one file without going back and making each one uniform? ...

Deleting cliparts in excel sheet
I have an excel sheet in wich I paste everyday new information, replacing the previous day information. There's a clipart that has been pasted over and over, now the file is very slow and I can't erase all the cliparts (thousands). In excel 2003 it was possible to select all the cliparts in one step, now in 2007 I can't and it's impossible for me to erase the cliparts one by one. Please help! If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup...

Adding fields into exisiting table
Hi all, I have one Master Table that has Age, Date, and Order. I also have another table that comes each month with the same fields. Is there any way using a query or whatever that I can take that second table and append just the "order" field onto the end of the Master Table. The other problem with this is, occasionally there will be records in the new table that are brand new and not in the master table. So if they didn't appear in the master table it would need to enter the whole row in plus a blank order number and then the real order number. As an example.... If this is...

Workbook_Open CommandBar corrupt excel files
Hi, I have 2 macros that create and delete a custom command bar at the opening and before close. A) When I save the file and then click on "X" without saving, I can reopen the file. B)But when I save the file, click on "X" and click on save, I can't reopen the file (Excel ask to recover the file). Does anyone have an idea? Thank you! Alex Private Sub Workbook_Open() Call CreateCommandBar End Sub Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Call DeleteCommandBar End Sub -- Alex St-Pierre I think it's coincidence. Try creatin...

How can I enter a cell in excel with hotkey or combination off key
F2 ?? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "theo passier" <theo passier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8DA5E96E-8A5B-43F2-A15B-210C14A94E0F@microsoft.com... > ...

operation with excel
Hi, I don't undestand why I don't have the same result with these two formulas : =IF(1.02-1.01=0.01,"ok","not ok") => the result is : ok =IF(2.02-2.01=0.01,"ok","not ok") => the result is : not ok Thanks GJ Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rounding.htm So use =IF(ROUND(2.02-2.01,2)=0.01,"ok","not ok") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "GJ" <gjeandot@wanadoo.fr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OnanOf92EHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I don't undestand why I don't h...

How to insert excel doc into publisher doc
HELP! I have tried everything I know to enter an Excel doc into a Publisher file and it just doesn't work. PLEASE HELP! There muct be a way... Thanks! Kristal How about opening the Excel document and copy and paste the data into your Pub doc? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "KristalWick" <KristalWick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04A735EB-6047-45DB-BE1C-06F6D8964C14@microsoft.com... > HELP! > I have tried everything I know to enter an Excel doc into a Publisher file > and it just doesn't work. PLEASE HELP! There muct be a...

VB6 to excel question
Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this question. I have a VB6 application that has been using automation to run code in Excel for years and all of a sudden, it can't find the function in Excel that I'm calling. I'm posting my code below but it's fairly straightforward. I could use a little help on it. sToPath = App.Path & "\Excel\FullProperty.xls" bSuccess = CopyFile(sFromPath, sToPath) If bSuccess Then SetAttr sToPath, vbArchive End If Set myXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application") ...

Excel spreadsheet on server is unable to be pulled up from user pc's
Hello All... I have created an Excel Spreadsheet on the CRM server and used the query wizard to access the SQL database to extracrt required information. I saved the report to the report module by adding the Excel file. When I try to access the report from my pc the report pulls up correctly, however if I try to refresh the data it throws the following error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no defulat driver specified. Any idea what changes I would need to make to the Excel report or to the any ODBC drivers? Thanks, CP ...

Add sheets (Excel 2003)
Hello, Why does'nt it work ? : ..... Sheets("Sem00").Copy After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count) ..... I have this error : La m�thode Copy de la classe Worksheet � �chou� (in english : The Copy method of the WorkSheeet Class fail) Normalement, je dois ainsi ajouter 53 feuilles (semaines de planning). (I have to add 53 sheets (weeks)) Sometimes, I can add 15 sheets, sometimes 30, but never the 53 sheets... If somebody can help, thank's in advance Sorry for my english ejc Possibly sheet Sem00 does not exist, therefore it cannot be copied. Sub CopyOrAddWs() Dim ws As Worksheet ...

Microsoft Excel 2007 to Mac Excel 2008 Issue regarding Macros
I have created worksheets on my PC using MS Excel 2007. I transfered them to a Mac user and when open the excel worksheet on his computer it tells me &quot;Excel 2008 for Mac can't run the Macros&quot; <br><br>Can someone maybe please help me to a way around this ???? Is there a version that does support macros ? Or...can the macros be re-created &amp; run ? > Is there a version that does support macros ? Or...can the macros be re-created &amp; run ? <br><br>Mac Excel 2004. ...

Userforms in Excel 2003 created in Excel 2000
I have made a programme in Excel 2000 using VBA and a number of sheets. Indata to the programme is at some instances entered from User forms. The User forms are activated by clicking a Command Buttons. While trying to activate the User forms in Excel 2003, an error message occured: "Compile error in hidden module: Sheet 15". Changing security level to low was not enough. I became aware of that an ActiveCGM Control was missing. After installing the file acgm.dll, the programme was running on computers in my house, but problems still occured on other computers. Are there any other se...

Pivot Table Change to US Date Format
Hi, I have a set of pivot tables which are being updated by cell the date in cell B1 using the following code: ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable1").PivotFields("Invoice Month").CurrentPage = ActiveSheet.Range("B1").Value At last this is working :) However... the dates are being inserted into the pivot tables as new selections in US date format instead of selecting an existing UK date format from the data choices. I do not understand this as all source data is in UK date format, cell B1 is in UK date format, the pivot field is also in UK da...

Graphs not present
I cannot seem to be able to view graphs in Excel 2002. Any ideas.... DMJ Which graphs would those be? Graphs you created? Graphs in a workbook that was sent to you? More detail please. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:24:32 -0400, "DMJ" <kmd@hotmail> wrote: >I cannot seem to be able to view graphs in Excel 2002. > >Any ideas.... > ...

How to make Excel Chart not to display empty cells?
I have a range of IF formulas. Sometime IF returns number, sometimes "". The problem is that chart displays "" as value 0. Is there a way to force chart not to display those empty values? IF(condition; number_value; "") Marko Marko: In your If statement, replace "" with Na(). Excel will place a #N/A in the cells that were getting the "". Excel charting recognizes #N/A and will not go to 0. See this post for more details. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_missing_data.htm ...Kelly koday@processtrends.com "Marko Pinteric&q...

Pivot Table Help #3
Good Morning I have a pivot table set up and all is ok i have set up a macro to copy the data in the pivot table and to paste it sumwhere else and to sort it all is good, but when i save the spreadsheet and close it down and reopen it and run the macro the pivot table shrinks down to 2 rows and 2 colums how do i get my data back on show Can anyone help Thanks in Advance Steve ...

Excel import problems
How do you get Excel 2003 to import more han 16,351 lines ...