Populating Excel from CSV

Hello all,
I need to know how to populate an Excel template with data from a
external CSV file. Let's say I have this nice pretty colourful templat
that is far more pleasing to the eye than the usual chunk of importe
CSV data, what are some methods to populate it with data from a CS
file??

Any ideas or suggestions or redirections would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance  :

--
AJMorgan59
AJMorgan591's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2777

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Have you tried File/Open?

Bob Umlas Wrote:
> Have you tried File/Open?

Are you being smart or dumb??
If you're meaning I should use File --> Open to open a CSV file, ho
does that auto populate my template?? All that will achieve is openin
the CSV data in a new workbook

--
AJMorgan59
AJMorgan591's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2777
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47285

Hi

That type of response is hardly going to endear you to members of this
NG who give their time and help freely to try to help people.
Bob is a regular contributor who has helped numerous people in the past.
I guess he won't be too keen on helping you in the future!!

Having opened the file, you could Copy and Paste Special>Values to your
Template.

Regards

Roger Govier

AJMorgan591 wrote:

>Bob Umlas Wrote:
>

>>Have you tried File/Open?
>>

>Are you being smart or dumb??
>If you're meaning I should use File --> Open to open a CSV file, how
>does that auto populate my template?? All that will achieve is opening
>the CSV data in a new workbook.

0
roger1272 (620)
10/4/2005 8:15:47 AM
Roger Govier Wrote:
> Hi
>
> That type of response is hardly going to endear you to members of this
> NG who give their time and help freely to try to help people.
> Bob is a regular contributor who has helped numerous people in th
> past.
> I guess he won't be too keen on helping you in the future!!
>
> Having opened the file, you could Copy and Paste Special>Values t
> your
> Template.

Well to be honest with you Rog if Bobby is going to give me smar
answers like that then I don't really want his 'help' do I, but thank
very much for your far more constructive response and suggestion - muc
appreciated

--
AJMorgan59
AJMorgan591's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2777
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47285

Hi

Well thank you for your response. I'm glad it helped.

However, whilst my role is not to defend Bob or any other regulars round
here, I am absolutely positive that Bob's response wasn't meant to be
"smart" or flippant.
Very often, a quick simple response is all that is needed to point
someone in the right direction, especially when sometimes one "cannot
see the wood for the trees" because you are too close to the problem.
The fact that you know how to create templates would probably have lead
him to believe that you would understand that copying and pasting values
would then have worked.

You obviously are a decent guy (otherwise you wouldn't have posted a
thanks), but perhaps don't be too quick to misjudge well intentioned

(Here endeth the lesson ....!!! <vbg>)

Have a great day.

Regards

Roger Govier

AJMorgan591 wrote:

>Roger Govier Wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>That type of response is hardly going to endear you to members of this
>>NG who give their time and help freely to try to help people.
>>Bob is a regular contributor who has helped numerous people in the
>>past.
>>I guess he won't be too keen on helping you in the future!!
>>
>>Having opened the file, you could Copy and Paste Special>Values to
>>your
>>Template.
>>

>Well to be honest with you Rog if Bobby is going to give me smart
>answers like that then I don't really want his 'help' do I, but thanks
>very much for your far more constructive response and suggestion - much
>appreciated.

0
roger1272 (620)
10/4/2005 11:35:33 AM
AJ,

You can import the CSV file into an existing workbook.  Use Data - Import
External Data - Import Data.  There's more at
http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/textfiles.htm.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"AJMorgan591" <AJMorgan591.1wd5yb_1128405906.3689@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> Bob Umlas Wrote:
>> Have you tried File/Open?
>
> Are you being smart or dumb??
> If you're meaning I should use File --> Open to open a CSV file, how
> does that auto populate my template?? All that will achieve is opening
> the CSV data in a new workbook.
>

> --
> AJMorgan591
> AJMorgan591's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27774
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=472857

0
someone798 (944)

Excel Button Properties
Anyone know where to find the properties for the command button that is used on worksheets? This is for Excel 2000. In particular I am looking for a tooltip property but I would like a list of all of them. Thanks, Steve Click the design mode icon on the Control toolbox toolbar. rightclick on the commandbutton and choose properties. "news.microsoft.com" wrote: > > Anyone know where to find the properties for the command button that is used > on worksheets? > This is for Excel 2000. > In particular I am looking for a tooltip property but I would like a list of >...

how do i change excel into picture format
i am trying to change an excel documnt into a jpeg or other picture format can anyone help me? i dont even know if its possible Take a screenshot. "deckieg" wrote: > i am trying to change an excel documnt into a jpeg or other picture format > can anyone help me? i dont even know if its possible Or just copy the cells you want to include in your jpeg and paste into Paint. "deckieg" wrote: > i am trying to change an excel documnt into a jpeg or other picture format > can anyone help me? i dont even know if its possible Select the cell to be shown in pict...

How do I convert Supercalc to Excel
I have data on disks that are in SuperCalc that I would like to convert to Excel, but I don't know how to do that. Excel can't open SuperCalc files. You'd have to get a copy of SuperCalc and save the files from there in to a format that Excel can read (e.g., text, CSV, SYLK, etc). -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Bean Counter" <Bean Counter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30443F32-B3D7-4996-9CAC-608C0F573D9C@microsoft.com... >I have data on disks that are in SuperCalc th...

Populating Excel from CSV
Hello all, I need to know how to populate an Excel template with data from a external CSV file. Let's say I have this nice pretty colourful templat that is far more pleasing to the eye than the usual chunk of importe CSV data, what are some methods to populate it with data from a CS file?? Any ideas or suggestions or redirections would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance : -- AJMorgan59 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AJMorgan591's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2777 View this thread: http://www.ex...

excell
ok, so i need to save this file to a comma delimited file. But I had t create columns to change some info.. How do I get it back to comm delimited? I tried save as .CSV but when I open it still has columns i it -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com When you open a csv file - ANY csv file - in XL, it will by default convert to "(have) columns in it". That's a function of how XL opens csv files, not whether the file, as saved, "has columns in it". The file saved as csv *IS* csv - no columns. Try opening it in another application (e.g., Notepad). To o...

Sequence Not populated for the MO Numbers during Data Collection
When data collection is done for the MO Numbers by using the Data Collection Window under Manufaturing, the Sequnce look up does not show the whole list, it only shows NOTES, for the user to select and enter the necessary data. why does this happen in the case of some MO Numbers and in the others it shows all the sequnces as NOTES,MAKE READY, PRESS RUN, WASH UP, MAINTENANCE, REPAIRS, REWIND/INSPECTION, etc. Any information would be much appreciated -- Thanks AshaM It should show all of the router steps. Are some of your steps possibly marked to backflush labor? These steps would not...

how do populate empty cells with the contents of populated cells .
I have this worksheet problem. The work sheet is thousands of rows long. One of my columns has cells not populated. I would like to get any empty cell in this column to populate itself with the contents of the next populated cell below it? Kind of a "find and replace" action where by an empty cell says to it self;"I'm going fill myself in with the next thing I find below me" I would greatly appreciate if someone can relate how to do this. Thanks Jim, Select the column, use Edit | Go To... Special , Blanks, OK. Then type an equal sign, press the down arrow...

Autoplay for Pictures Not Populated
I inserted my XD card in to my card reader today and the autoplay pop up window asking what I wanted Windows to do was blank. For Video, Music and Mixed content the options are there but not for Pictures - it is just blank. I have tried running autofix.exe but this has not fixed it. Any ideas? Is this a Microsoft problem or has something else caused this? It worked fine until today. Thanks. Peachypumpkin wrote: > I inserted my XD card in to my card reader today and the autoplay > pop up window asking what I wanted Windows to do was blank. For > Video, Music and Mi...

Excel opening with Visual Basiic File not Found Error?? Help!!!
When I open up Excel I am receiving an error message "Microsoft Visual Basic File not Found" when I hit help it tells me it is file not found error 53. Can anyone provide me some information on how I need to fix this problem. Help!!!! Thanks, Judd Hi Judd, See responses to similar questions from Tom Ogilvy http://tinyurl.com/9nubf and Dave Peterson: http://tinyurl.com/829pc --- Regards, Norman "jbsand1001" <jbsand1001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6EAD2E6-E90E-4929-9368-0C96BCADC374@microsoft.com... > When I open up Exce...

Microsoft Query in Excel
I am trying to set up some queries in excel that reference an access database. Problem is that the location of the database and the name changes based on what project I am working on. What I guess I want to do is set up a query template and then change the location where those templates pull data from. The database objects will not change when copied, only the database name and location. Is this possible? Feel free to contact me with any questions. 518-464-1717 Thanks, Marc Bachand ...

moving contacts from excel or pdf to outlook
Is there any way to save contacts from a excell spreadsheet to Outlook or from a Pdf file or move contacts from outlook to excell to send them. You can import from Excel to Outlook, either using an xls or CSV file. A PDF will need to be converted to a format outlook can import. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTE...

Aligning decimals in Excel ...
How can I align decimals other than using right justify in Excel 2000? I prefer the numbers to appear centered within the column, but with the decimals in alignment. The Center tool only gives me the former. All numbers have only one decimal place, but have various digits before the decimal. First, center the column, then play with the question marks to display exactly what you're looking for. You can start with this custom format, then revise to suit: ?,???,???.0?? -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so a...

City and State Populated by Zip Code
Does anyone know of a way to load a program that when you type in the Zip Code the City and State are automatically populated? I have seen a MSCRM add-in from a company called QAS (http://www.qas.com/). This is more than just Zip Code/City&State. It's a full address validator along with streamlined data entry. They have integrated with CRM via an ISV pop-up and it seems to work fairly smoothly. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On 15 Apr 2005 11:13:56 -0700, "Morgan" <tzeoli@att.net> wr...

SOS! how do I write a customized function to do multiple-value lookup in Excel 2007?
I have two regions in exact same places of sheet 1 and sheet 2, I want to find all cells in the region in sheet 1, with cell content equal to 0, and then add the numbers at the corresponding locations in the region in sheet 2 up. For example, let's say in the region in sheet 1, there are multiple locations where the cell content = 0: A1, B3, C4, D2, etc... I would like to obtain sum(sheet2!A1, sheet2!B3, sheet2!C4, sheet2! D2), etc. How do I do that? I want to write a user customized function for that: The regions in sheet1 and sheet2 are fixed to be D7 to Z20. So the fi...

Excel charts
how can I keep the chart when I am printing it out it just gives me the names i printed in and does not leave the lines ...

Excel (Office97) problem
Hi, Don't know if anyone can help. I have been using Office 97 (on W2K) successfully for years. Now.. all of a sudden when I try to open an existing excel sheet it asks for the MSOffice2000 Premium CD. If I create an s/sheet in O97 and save it, if I open it again it does as above. I don't know what's changed to cause this. Any advice or fix??? TIA temor --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.773 / Virus Database: 520 - Release Date: 05/10/2004 If you're getting prompted for the MSOffice 2k CD...

Excel Macros #12
Is there a way to (using the personal macro workbook maybe) rename a macro? Excel 2002, XP Hi in the VBA editor simply change the sub name -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Circe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:171a01c46f4f$2fcead70$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to (using the personal macro workbook > maybe) rename a macro? > > Excel 2002, XP > ...

I am using Excel and have made an error.
Hi All, I am new to Excel and am imputing names and addresses. I have made an error and want to undo, but the undo arrow will not work. Is there any other way I can undo something I have done within the program? If CTRL z (or Edit | Undo) don't work then the only other 'undo' option would be to close the file without saving changes and open the last saved version. Kinda drastic but I've done it on occasion. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <77D9E12D-235...

Populating a field
I want to populate a description field based on a par number that is entered in the field before it. In other owrds, you enter a part number and presto, in the next field, the description is entered for you. Can you help?? Thanx Tom On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:48:01 -0800, Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to populate a description field based on a par number that is entered >in the field before it. In other owrds, you enter a part number and presto, >in the next field, the description is entered for you. > >Can you help?? > >Thanx >Tom If yo...

Cellpadding in Excel 2003
Hi, Is it possible to add cellpadding to all or specific cells? While creating a sheet that contains some multi-line cells and the layout of all cells is set to automatic adjustment, the cell height decreases for all cells. How can I set the default cell height (12,75 or more) and also use multi-line cells that auto adjust? Jeroen ...

Opening an Excel File #6
I have Office 2002 and can not get the Excel files to open up without opening Excel first. I should be able to double click the file and it opens up Excel and the file. It does that in all the other office applications but this one. It used to do that and now it has been changed or I changed something and don't know what it is to get it back. Can someone help me? Following should be all you need to fix the problem; unsure as to why it ocurred in the first place though: 1) Open a folder on your PC. Almost any will do. 2) Select 'Folder Options' from the 'Tools' m...

How do I add a total to a stacked bar graph in Excel
I am using Excel for some graphs in Powerpoint and we are using stacked bar graphs. Does anyone know how to add a total on a stcaked graph? I can add individual values but I am looking for total per bar. the simplest way is to copy the data with the totals into the chart. select the section of the bar equal to the totals and change the axis to secondary add the series values and in paterns select none for fill and line. in th elegehgend select the line for the totals and clar all. "Greg L" wrote: > I am using Excel for some graphs in Powerpoint and we are using stacked bar...

flaw in Excel's filter command for negative numbers
When I filter to show all values less than a negative number, screwball results happen. I can't believe this problem exists to this day. Is there a workaround? What is a screwball result? If some of the negative values are text they won't be included since text is always greater than any number -- No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Easydoesit" <davehumphrey2@home.com> wrote in message news:efxVAoiTEHA.2908@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > When I filter to show all values less than a ne...

Populate Textbox
Hi, I have a table with part numbers and locations. There are multiple locations per part number. I would like to populate a listbox with a filtered list of the locations for the part number shown on my form. I'm not very good at vba and have been looking all over for code, but can't find anything suitable. Thanks You have multiple locations per part number. So first, let's get your form set up correctly. When you have a one-to-many format (one salesman, many products or one part number, many locations) you need a form and subform. The Mainform would be for...