Pocket Excel files (.pxl) do not open in Excel 2003 on XP desktop

I just tried to open a Pocket Excel file on my Windows XP desktop and the
file could not be opened. Has anyone had any luck opening Pocket excel files
on a desktop PC without converting them?

Pocket Excel I believe is the .pxl format that the Handheld PC and the
PocketPC use.

I may want to password protect files and send them to a party that does not
have a PocketPC. Can this be done, or do I need to convert the files to MS
excel and password protect a seperate .zip file using resco File explorer?

I cannot send any files to this party that are not password protected for
the risk is too high.

Thanks,

John

--
The Bible calls sinners to Repentance (LK 5:32) and God's people to Holiness
(Rom 12:2).

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I believe they need to be converted. This is automatic if you sync a
file that they are in or drag them using Activesync explore to your pc.

--
     _      _     Dale DePriest
    /`) _  //     http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

"Dale DePriest" <Dale@gpsinformation.het> wrote in message
>I believe they need to be converted. This is automatic if you sync a file
>that they are in or drag them using Activesync explore to your pc.
>
> Bible John wrote:
>> I just tried to open a Pocket Excel file on my Windows XP desktop and the
>> file could not be opened. Has anyone had any luck opening Pocket excel
>> files on a desktop PC without converting them?
>>
>> Pocket Excel I believe is the .pxl format that the Handheld PC and the
>> PocketPC use.
>>
>> I may want to password protect files and send them to a party that does
>> not have a PocketPC. Can this be done, or do I need to convert the files
>> to MS excel and password protect a seperate .zip file using resco File
>> explorer?
>>
>> I cannot send any files to this party that are not password protected for
>> the risk is too high.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> John
>>

> --
>     _      _     Dale DePriest
>    /`) _  //     http://users.cwnet.com/dalede
>  o/_/ (_(_X_(`   For GPS and GPS/PDAs

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 23:10:59 -0800, "Bible John"
<johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

>But converting them takes away the password.
Maybe the simplist solution is to add the password on the desktop?

Can't speak to whether the password is retained/works, but you have the
option on the PPC to "Save As" and select .xls, the desktop format. That
gets around the pxl conversion issue. At that point you could zip with
password, and potentially have a smaller file to e-mail from the portable.

Incidentally WM5 devices no longer use the Pocket Excel .pxl format. They
strictly use xls. Same goes for Pocket Word.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Bible John" <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just tried to open a Pocket Excel file on my Windows XP desktop and the
>file could not be opened. Has anyone had any luck opening Pocket excel
>files on a desktop PC without converting them?
>
> Pocket Excel I believe is the .pxl format that the Handheld PC and the
> PocketPC use.
>
> I may want to password protect files and send them to a party that does
> not have a PocketPC. Can this be done, or do I need to convert the files
> to MS excel and password protect a seperate .zip file using resco File
> explorer?
>
> I cannot send any files to this party that are not password protected for
> the risk is too high.
>

> Thanks,
>

> John
>
> --
> The Bible calls sinners to Repentance (LK 5:32) and God's people to
> Holiness (Rom 12:2).
> www.cerm.info
> Church Education Resource Ministries Founder and Director

I think I'll just sue Resco File Explorer to password protect the files.

Thanks,

John

"Barnabas Collins" <BarnabasCollinsonSF@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 23:10:59 -0800, "Bible John"
> <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>But converting them takes away the password.
> Maybe the simplist solution is to add the password on the desktop?

I will use RFE to password protect the files.

John

In article <dlrrs2lsvd2e8s5iqt4hi00iihaflpq2cn@4ax.com>,
 Barnabas Collins <BarnabasCollinsonSF@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 23:10:59 -0800, "Bible John"
> <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >But converting them takes away the password.
> Maybe the simplist solution is to add the password on the desktop?

I'm not sure how to do this.
--
Heb. 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing
Bible John wrote:
> I just tried to open a Pocket Excel file on my Windows XP desktop and the
> file could not be opened. Has anyone had any luck opening Pocket excel files
> on a desktop PC without converting them?
>
> Pocket Excel I believe is the .pxl format that the Handheld PC and the
> PocketPC use.
>
> I may want to password protect files and send them to a party that does not
> have a PocketPC. Can this be done, or do I need to convert the files to MS
> excel and password protect a seperate .zip file using resco File explorer?
>
> I cannot send any files to this party that are not password protected for
> the risk is too high.
>

> Thanks,
>

> John

Bible John,

Since you are interested in both Word and Excel files, have you looked
into SoftMaker Office?  It runs on the PocketPC but uses real .doc and
..xls files, without conversion.  It also seems to do a very good job
showing all the formatting.  I like the "outlining" view for .doc files
which lets you collapse and expand text under headings.  Frankly,
Softmaker puts Pocket Word and Pocket Excel to shame and removes any
excuse for why they are so weak.  I don't know why Microsoft doesn't buy
out Softmaker and euthanize their own half-hearted attempts at PocketPC
productivity software.

Bible John wrote:
> I just tried to open a Pocket Excel file on my Windows XP desktop and the
> file could not be opened. Has anyone had any luck opening Pocket excel files
> on a desktop PC without converting them?
>
> Pocket Excel I believe is the .pxl format that the Handheld PC and the
> PocketPC use.
>
> I may want to password protect files and send them to a party that does not
> have a PocketPC. Can this be done, or do I need to convert the files to MS
> excel and password protect a seperate .zip file using resco File explorer?
>
> I cannot send any files to this party that are not password protected for
> the risk is too high.

1. Unlike Onenote and a few other MS apps, an Excel password is quite
breakable with a service charge. Use another encryption, or at the list
zip it with a password.  And about the password - length is king, with
varying the sample set between upper case, lower case, numbers and
punctuation being the queen.

2. 2003 SE and later version of pocket excel can read and write standard
   excel files.  Avoid PXL files - the size savings is really minor.

3. If you have an older version or handheld then look for 3rd party
spreadsheet apps  and avoid pocket excel in this and similar instances.
At 12 Feb 2007 12:25:29 -0500 xTenn wrote:

>2003 SE and later version of pocket excel can read and write standard
> excel files.  Avoid PXL files - the size savings is really minor.

No in my experience.  I use several Excel files that were 700-800k on the
desktop but less than 300k as .pxl files on my 2003 device.  Now that I
have a WM5 device, they're 800k each on the device as well! :-(.

I wish they left .pxl and .pwd support in WM5 as an option.  In addition
to smaller file size, I could also print them with Print Pocket CE, which
does not support .xls and .docs.

Oh well, the price of progress, I guess!  ;-)

0
elecconnec (10)
2/12/2007 10:29:01 PM
Todd Allcock wrote:
> At 12 Feb 2007 12:25:29 -0500 xTenn wrote:
>
>> 2003 SE and later version of pocket excel can read and write standard
>> excel files.  Avoid PXL files - the size savings is really minor.
>
> No in my experience.  I use several Excel files that were 700-800k on the
> desktop but less than 300k as .pxl files on my 2003 device.  Now that I
> have a WM5 device, they're 800k each on the device as well! :-(.
>
> I wish they left .pxl and .pwd support in WM5 as an option.  In addition
> to smaller file size, I could also print them with Print Pocket CE, which
> does not support .xls and .docs.
>
> Oh well, the price of progress, I guess!  ;-)

Man, get with the times - anything less than 1.5 G is too small to count
as a difference...

Just kidding - ESPECIALLY when you consider local device memory.

I have not seen that kind of difference in files - do you use a lot of
charts?  I have several full featured xls spreadsheets (with multiple
pages) that stay under 50k with a wm5 device, but those have only a
couple small charts.

It would be my guess that the larger the spreadsheet the greater the
difference in file size.

At 13 Feb 2007 15:15:54 -0500 xTenn wrote:

> Man, get with the times - anything less than 1.5 G is too small to
count as a difference...

LOL!

> I have not seen that kind of difference in files - do you use a lot of
charts?  I have several full featured xls spreadsheets (with multiple
pages) that stay under 50k with a wm5 device, but those have only a
couple small charts.

Just the opposite- there were the simplest type of spreadsheet- no
calculations at all- just a simple customer database.  I could understand
if there were charts and other options that didn't "translate" down
to .pxl.

> It would be my guess that the larger the spreadsheet the greater the
difference in file size.

Probably- smaller speadsheets inflate only a little- i.e. a 10k pxl to a
16k xls- certainly not a factor of nearly three!

0
elecconnec (10)

Merge Docs in Excell
When routing to all senders at once, returned spreadsheet does not ask to merge docs to original ...

help! can't get money 2005 to import my money 2001 file
i bought a new computer and was using money 2001 - i have 4 years worth of data. i transferred the file to my new computer with money 2005 and it'll "convert" the file, but i can't see where the data is displayed. it says i have no accounts created...???? where is my data? is 2005 so different that i can't even FIND my data? please help- i have no idea what my bank balance is... File>Open. Find old file. It will make a copy as MXX, where XX is the version number (08? don't remember), then convert the original to the new version. If it looks like it started,...

Printing Excel Formulas without file paths updating
I have numerous spreadsheets that need to be printed showing the formulas. However, some of the formulas are derived using a link to a different spreadsheet (not created on our network). When we open the sheet and choose to not update the links, the spreadhseet opens, and when we view the formulas they appear. However, the file path for some of the formulas also appears using my network information (e.g. c:\documents and settings\name, etc....). Is there a way to retain the original path information? Thank you. ...

Outlook XP and VPN
My sales force can not use Outlook when they VPN to our network. Everything seems fine on the mail server. When they open Outlook, they see their mail, but can not do anything with it. Any suggestions? "=?Utf-8?B?UGVycnk=?=" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:915F9EA9-C3F8-42E9-A6E2-611B7AA19773@microsoft.com: > My sales force can not use Outlook when they VPN to our network. > Everything seems fine on the mail server. When they open Outlook, they > see their mail, but can not do anything with it. Any suggestions? What do you mean by "can't ...

No longer able to open docx files in Word 2000
I have the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack installed on my old Win / MS Office 2000 PC and I'm pretty sure I used to be able to open docx files, but I can't open them any more for some reason. Word 2000 comes up with a 'very helpful' error message saying "There was an error opening file" (this happens with any/all docx files). I uninstalled and re-installed the Compatibility Pack, but the problem persists. Any ideas? Thank you. Herbert Eppel www.HETranslation.co.uk Any suggestions? Herbert Eppel www.HETranslation.co.uk On 17.05.2...

Excel Workbooks
Hello I have an Excel Workbook which is showing as being 5Mb but has no data. All there is are column headings on 10 worksheets and a worksheet with simple formula's. The other worksheets however for some reason go down to around 25000 rows before the scroll bar hits the bottom. Could this be causing the problem? If so, is there any way of 'de-activating' these rows/cells to make the workbook smaller? Cheers Rich See answers to your previous posting today. Andy h." <richard.cartwright@npower.com> wrote in message news:0a4c01c355d9$5ac15630$a501280a@phx.gbl... ...

Pocket Money 2004
I have my PM2004 installed on my Pocket PC 2003. On the Today screen I have my Money Icon. However I don't want my accounts showing up. With some of the accounts I can uncheck the "display on today screen" to get rid of it. How do I get rid of the other accounts... checking , cash, credit card accounts???? In Today/Settings/Today/Items, you should be able to uncheck any account, or just uncheck Money altogether. I keep everything unchecked except cash (so I know when I need to make a run to the bank). :) On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:20:46 -0400, "Jonathan B. Jung" <...

Open Other User's Folder
Hello We are currently running Exchange 5.5 2000 server and Outlook 2000 for the users. I had to rebuild the Exchange server and must have missed a step somewhere I used to be able to view anyone's inbox. Now I get a message that states: "Unable to display the folder. The Inbox folder could not be found." What did I miss when I rebuilt the server? Thank you for any insight By default, no Exchange Admin has permission to open up anyone else's mailbox. This permission must be given explicitly. Check out the following KB Articles: XADM: How to Get Service Account Acce...

Excel 2003 issue with Windows XP Pro SP-2
Hi Folks, I saw that this question had been posted by many people already, but I could not find an answer for the same. I am using Windows XP Pro Service pack 2 and Office 2003. Scenario 1) I have a hyper link in a web page that opens up an Excel document. When I click the link, I get the IE dialogue box with "Open' and "Save" options. After that, if I click "open" it opens the Excel Window without any data in it, but with an error message telling that -- 'C:\Documents and *****\--\--\abcd.xls' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name and ...

help in excel
Someone please help me, I have 50,000.00 names and addresses in columns I need t put them in rows -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Copy the columns and transpose those data into a row (right click your mouse and choose). hope this helps. The following MSKB article has instructions for that: Converting Multiple Rows/Columns to Columns/Rows http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=116289 jeanettesalinas < wrote: > I have 50,000.00 names and addresses in columns I need to > put them in rows. > -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http...

spread sheets from excel 2003 don't format right in excel 2007
When I recieve a spread sheet that was done on excel 2003 it doesn't look right in excel 2007 the fonts are changed text boxes are out of place images don't form correctly. I have tried evert way to sae it but it still won't work correctly? I would suggest asking in an Excel newsgroup. This is an Access newsgroup. Access is a database application. -- Hope that helps! RBear3 .. "Excel issues" <Excel issues @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87DFFCE6-FC8A-4853-8609-4AE54AF20618@microsoft.com... > When I recieve a spread sheet that was done...

Excel VBA #4
I'm very new to VBA and could use a little help. I wrote a macro that does the following: First Part: Unprotects the sheet; then does a file Save As to a specific folder and then goes to Cell P2. All is fine except the macro didn't record the password and I have to type it in everytime. So it's prompting me for the password everytime. During the file Save As operating, it says such & such file already exists, do you want to replace? The answer is always going to be YES. How do i make that happen? Second Part: Once Cell P2 is activated, I type in a code (number) for that...

How to pull data from Access from within Excel?
I have an Access database I use to create a job quotation # and assign a project name to. I also use Excel to keep track of the hours worked on each project. What I'd like to do is create an employee time sheet in Excel and just enter his daily hours along with the job quotation # and have Excel automatically pull the job name from the Access quotation database. Can anyone help me with a sample or a direct me to a site that will show me how I can do this... I'm not an expert in either software but if i see a sample, i usually can modify it for my use. Thanks folks! Excel has a da...

Excel printing problem(..)
Hi, One of the Worksheet of my Excel document, shows 26 pages when I do a preview print (also prints the 26 pages, the first one is OK but the next 25 pages are blank...) How can I remove the 25 blank pages, so that when I print that worksheet it only prints the needed page, thanks. Highlight all the columns you want to print. Then click File -> Print Area -> Set Print area. >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >One of the Worksheet of my Excel document, shows 26 pages >when I do a preview print (also prints the 26 pages, the >first one is OK but the next ...

Pocket Access
I have a pocket pc and have the ability to sync pocket access databases but I don't have a program called Pocket Access. I have looked everywhere I can think of on the Microsoft site for the program but can't find it. Anybody know where I can buy Microsoft Pocket Access for my pocket pc? Don't believe it's available anymore. You might check out the following, though: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3300 http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3358 -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (No private e-mails, please) "SH" <anonymous@discus...

Data Validation message increases file size?
I just opened a template file (1,174 KB) and used data validation to show a short message when a single cell is selected and when I saved the file it's size had increased to 2,925 KB. My message is not worth this strange increase in file size. Has anyone any idea why this has happened? ...

Decryption of Encrypted MS word file
Hi All In one of our office computer one folder showing in green letters instead of black (might be encrypted entire folder), due to some issue in that PC mother board has been replaced, after changing of mother board i am unable to open, copy and delete the files inside the folder; can some one help me ????? how to open/copy these msword files ...

Excel Viewer #3
Does anyone know if Excel Viewer is capable of opeing CSV files? Dan, Not sure if it is, but notepad can... Dan E "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:021c01c3a318$ff9d3020$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if Excel Viewer is capable of opeing CSV > files? ...

GP 10.0 Excel Integration
Hello, I had deployed the 100+ EXCEL reports for GP 10.0 via Reporting Tools Setup. The setup has created both the odc and Excel files. I would like to know whether I can add/remove fields from the standard odc files created. Example, in the Item Default.odc, there are 3 fields - Item Number, Item Description and Item Type. Is it possible for me to add more fields such as Item Short Name and Item Generic Name to the same Item Default.odc? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks May May, You might be able to edit the deployed reports by using Excel Report Builder but I'm...

Deleted Files Still showing
I am having issues with MP11 and files still showing after deleting them from my PC. ghost images is the best way to discribe it. Not there but mp11 still thinks they are. I even went as far as to remove mp11 from my PC and then placed it back. Is there any way to just clear all of mp11 to new like a fresh install of windows and start over? Any thing to clear this out. Thank you all for any help on this. ...

How can Excel be e mailed and read by a non excel user?
I want to send an Excel file to someone that does not have Excel on his computer. He cannot open the file. Is there some other format that I can save the Excel file in that he can read but not edit? Try: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&displaylang=EN -- Richard "Mike Kasper" wrote: > I want to send an Excel file to someone that does not have Excel on his > computer. > He cannot open the file. Is there some other format that I can save the > Excel file in that he can read but not edit? ...

Excel 2000 to Excel 2002 problem
I have put a spreadsheet together using Excel 2000. A friend is trying to use it with Excel 2002 and experiences a problem that I cannot reproduce in Excel 2000. Cell E3 is a persons name. Cell F3 contains the formula '=E3' to auto fill the cell. (If the name is not the correct one it is overwritten) If friend copies the formula in F3 to F4 it copies the formula as an absolute so that it is looking at E3 rather than E4. He is not copying an absolute. He either drags the formula down or copy & pastes. I can't understand what is happening but presume that his version works...

I cannot open your default e-mail folders
I have Microsoft Outlook installed on my computer. It was working just fine, but now it's giving me an error message that says "can not open your default e-mail folders. The information store can not be opened" We are to assume that this just happened all by itself for no reason or do you have more information to share? You'll need to. You were there. We weren't. -- Russ Valentine "Ruth" <Ruth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:496C3996-1AB0-40B1-A105-C7D7AADB6947@microsoft.com... >I have Microsoft Outlook installed on my...

Excel now moves Left & Right when I scroll the mouse not Up & Down
I have XP and just installed Office 2003. Now when I use the mouse wheel in Excel (and this only happens with Excel) the screen scrolls left and right instead of up and down. How do I get the Up/Down scroll back? ...

From Excel VBA to vbScript
How would I convert this macro to vbScript? Sub Macro1() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Range("AQ157").Select Selection.End(xlDown).Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select End Sub So far I have xl.cells("AQ157").Select xl.Selection.End(xlDown).Select 'This is the line I am having problems with: xl.Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select 'This is the error: ' Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Object required: 'Selection' TIA, OldDog On Apr 16, 12:11=A0pm, OldDog <mikef2...@com...