PivotChart will not preserve series formatting for some charts when reopening workbook

I have a WB with 4 PivotCharts.  When I close and reopen the WB, 2 of
my PivotCharts have slightly skewed formatting.  Can somone help
determine why?

Details:
PTable 1 / PChart 1, PTable 2 / PChart 2 all based on static data in
Sheet 1.
PTable 3 / PChart 3, PTable 4 / PChart 4 all based on static data in
Sheet 2.
All PTables were created from a new PCache object.  I'm using any
single data cache for more than 1 PTable.
When I reopen, PChart 1 and PChart 3 have the following problem:
 - Series order goes back to the default order.
 - Series colors remains in the old order.

1. I know that changing the underlying PivotTable will reset the
corresponding PivotChart's series formatting.  However, I am not making
any PT changes.  Just close and reopen the WB.

2. The PTable has PreserveFormatting enabled and Refresh Data is
disabled.

3. There are no volatile operations that would cause the PTable to
change (e.g. Date() function)

4. I know I could write code to re-set the formatting upon opening the
WB.  I would rather find the reason why some PCharts's are changing
upon reopening.  I'd be OK if either all of them changed (I'd just
curse Excel) or none of them change (really how it should be working as
far as I understand the known quirks with pivots).

TIA,
-K

0
keeena (2)
6/21/2006 4:31:54 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Problem resolved.

I didn't know that PivotChart series order was strictly tied to the
underlying PivotTable.  Setting the SeriesOrder in the PivotChart will
work while the WB is open, but on next open, the chart reverts back to
the order as it exists in the PivotTable.  I guess this is by design -
I've never noticed this behavior before.

Solution is to change series order at the PivotTable.  This will bubble
up to the PivotChart and will retain after close/reopen.

A nice enhancement would be to automatically order the PivotTable when
its respective PivotChart series order is changed.  Or at least prevent
PivotChart series modifications so its more obvious.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

0
keeena (2)

Conitional formatting query
I have 3 columns of data : A, B and C These have numeric price values in them, although one or all could be empty. I want to highlight the lowest value cell that is actually populated. e.g. A1 is empty, B1 is 3.50, C1 is 10.00 - B1 should be highlighted as it is the lowest value A2 is 1.25, B2 is empty, C2 is empty - A1 should be highlighted A3, B3 and C3 are all empty - none should be highlighted. Any ideas how I use conditional formatting to recognise the lowest? Hi Stainless, Conditional Formatting Formula Is =AND(A1=MIN($A1:$C1),A1<>"") Biff >-----Original...

When will Money 2005 be available
Hi I found the following article but the MS site has no reference to the new version. Any idea when it is available? http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1636335,00.asp TIA KIWI 9/13/04 says amazon.com. I'd expect news on the Money web site about that same date. "KIWI" <jrhastie@nospamtelus.net> wrote in message news:OW9rZE9jEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I found the following article but the MS site has no reference to the new > version. Any idea when it is available? > > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1636335,00.asp Found it after I p...

Print Access report in DOS format
Hello, I need to send Access Invoices to a customer, they are using IBM AS400 with 4224 printer which is 1 of the system 3x printers attachable to the AS400. They want the invoices in ascii format. What I did is,I print the Invoice in Preview and save it as Text File and I Email it to them. If I send them one invoice only, they can print it, but if I combine more invoices, the first page prints ok but the second page is off. It looks like a form length problem of some kind or maybe an end of form control character. I'm not sure. Is there a way to output the report in ascii format? Th...

Frontpage 2000 Will not Open
I go to open my webpage as I always have but I get this error message C:\DOCUME~1\CRAIGM~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WEBCERR.TXT This happened after updating my DSN and Security certificate at Aplus webhosting. They can open from their end they say, what should I do? Craig From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220930/ You can check the WecErr.txt file in your TEMP folder for specific information about why the connection did not succeed. This file contains the actual text or HTML message returned by the Web server. Please open the file and tell us what it says. -- ~ Kathlee...

Setting Cell Formats
I am putting a time format to a cell in excel. When I have users type in the time like start and end times, the start time is always AM and the end time is always PM however I cannot get the end time to default to PM. Is there a way to default the cell to PM all the time with out setting the format to be militaary time. Thanks for your time and assistance On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:04:00 -0700, Jcraig713 <Jcraig713@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am putting a time format to a cell in excel. When I have users type in the >time like start and end times, the start time i...

Making macro work in all workbooks
How do I record a macro so that it will run when any workbook is opened I'm thinking it has to be saved in a file named personal.xls and save in F:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\XLSTART. At the presen time, I have nothing in that folder; I thought it was supposed t always have a file named personal.xls. Can someone advise me on this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Do you really mean you want to have a macro run when you open any workbook? Or are you asking how to have macros available when any workbook is open--and you can run them on demand? If the firs...

Will MS CRM v1.2 support .Net Framework 1.1?
Does anyone know if the international version of MS CRM v1.2 will support the .Net Framework 1.1? No information but logically there would be no reason why they would not support 1.1 and also to support server 2003 they need to be supporting 1.1 "Karl Iuel" <karli@ispartners.co.za> wrote in message news:uZym7rYZDHA.2476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if the international version of MS CRM v1.2 will support > the .Net Framework 1.1? > > Yes v1.2 will support .NET 1.1 John is exactly correct with his logic. -- Regards, Ryan Microsoft CRM Suppor...

Global formatting of cell comments #2
Anyone know how to change the font and font size of all comments in a workshet at one go? Any help would be most appreciated Many thanks Seamus McMillan ...

Format changes when another user opens presentation
why do fonts change size when another user opens a shared presentation. Font size overflows the text box, the text is either too big or too small and unwraps so it goes off the slide, but when I open on my system, it's fine!? On 12/15/09 9:15 AM, in article 79A48B55-8B9D-4F5D-A21B-EF1C84D07AD2@microsoft.com, "Shevvie" <Shevvie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > why do fonts change size when another user opens a shared presentation. Font > size overflows the text box, the text is either too big or too small and > unwraps so it goes off the slide, but...

How to Set Default Format
When I open a new worksheet or work book in 2007 the default format for the cells is "Time." How can I change this to "Number." Thanks There's a template file named book.xlt (or book.xltx or book.xltm or...) that needs to be changed. Close excel and use windows start button|search to look for book.xlt* Open that file in excel (as a template--not as the basis for a new workbook), change the number format on all the worksheets(!) to general, save it and then test it out. I don't think you want to use Number. If you type a date or a time, you'll see the prob...

pivotchart
How do I show the subtotals and grand totals calculated by the pivot table in a pivot chart? I don't know of a way to include the totals in a PivotChart. You could create a normal chart, based on the pivot table, and include the totals in that. On Jon Peltier's site, there are instructions for creating a normal chart from pivot data: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotcharts.htm Shin wrote: > How do I show the subtotals and grand totals calculated by the pivot table in > a pivot chart? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.cont...

Cell Formatting #3
I want c2 to have the first name of an employee preceeded by a comma automatically.... ,MARY. The first name will change but the , always needs to be there. Is there a way to do that? And is there a way to force all users of the report to type in capital letters? -- Tralee6 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tralee6's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29273 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=490146 On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 07:50:26 -0600, Tralee6 <Tralee6.1zf11m_1133531700.63...

Click on chart to view it otherwise greyed out
I have been sent a workbook that contains a number of charts. when the workbook opens the charts are not visible, but are "greyed out". I have to click on a chart to view it. As soon as I click away from the chart it is hidden again. The source data is created using the offset function and the parameters for this function are selected using form combo boxes. Please can anyone suggest how I can make the charts visible at all times Thanks Carl Hi, Sounds like you have objects set to show place holders. To show all use the menu Tools > Options. On the View tab is a section ...

manually selected Excel cell formatting
I've installed Excel 2007 recently. I notice when I manually select non-contiguous cells using the ctrl key that the selected cells are not highlighted like they were in Excel 97. At first I thought I was losing the selection altogether but I noticed that the current cell had a thin outline instead of the heavier normal outline. It was then I saw that the selected cells were actually very faintly shaded. I checked that the cells were really selected by migrating through them with the Enter or Tab key. Is there any way to make the selected calls more visible? Or is something w...

Number formats
HYCH Am using the code below, to pull back the a list of Times (format hh:mm) But still shows as decimal numbers any help please !!! Private Sub UserForm_Initialize() Dim cPart As Range Dim ws As Worksheet Set ws = Worksheets("Lists") For Each cPart In ws.Range("C1:C88") With Me.ComboBox1 .AddItem cPart.Value .List(.ListCount - 1, 1) = Format(cPart.Offset(0, 1).Value, "hh:mm") End With Next cPart Me.ComboBox1.Value = "" Me.ComboBox1.SetFocus End Sub Steve Hmm... With times in D1:D88, times show, as times, for me in the seco...

Format duplicate date in report
Hi Groupies How can I use conditional formatting to format a duplicate date in a report? I need the duplicates to show up but I would like them to be obvious. -- Thanks for taking the time! CJ --------------------------------------------------------- Know thyself, know thy limits....know thy newsgroups! "CJ" <private@newsgroups.com> wrote in message news:#eDXSWU#KHA.3880@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > How can I use conditional formatting to format a duplicate date in a > report? I need the duplicates to show up but I would like them to be > obviou...

Logarithmic X Axis in PivotChart.
Logarithmic X Axis in PivotChart. Logarithmic X Axis in PivotChart. Logarithmic X Axis in PivotChart. Logarithmic X Axis in PivotChart. Logarithmic X Axis in PivotChart. Logarithmic X Axis in PivotChart. Logarithmic X Axis in PivotChart. ...

website shopandscan.com will not open on my computer
I reformatted my hard drive and re installed windows 7 and have the same set up as previously when the site www.shopandscan.com worked ok ,now i cannot connect to it my security set up is norton 2010 and i have no security pop up blockers stopping it ,i can do online banking etc but my wife uses this site for sending till receipt scans and uploading a usb bleeper with shopping barcodes . > I reformatted my hard drive and re installed windows 7... Why? Have you purchased "Norton 2010" or is it a free trial that came preinstalled on the machine when you bought i...

the picture is too large and will be truncated #2
Hi, When i try to select an entire row and push the copy button. I'm getting the following error: "the picture is too large and will be truncated" There are no pictures in the selection!!(?) I work with Excel 2002 on Win xp prof. Somebody has an idea thanxs in advance greets, Van Steenbergen Jan See Jon Peltier's site about this error http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/XL_PPT.html This is the only KB obout this error This is for 2000 but check it out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318265&Product=xlw2K XL2000: Error Message: The P...

When will M2006 be released?
I am running a trial of M2005 now. Will Money 2006 be released in the sometime near future? Thanks. If the past is any indication of the future, M06 will come out around September of 2005. Based on M05, I'm not looking forward to it. If you are thinking about upgrading from a previous version of Money, you might want to read why I didn't at http://umpmfaq.info/Money2005.htm. Do your own due diligence. If you are a new user to Money, you might want to look for a copy of M04. "Dustin_Ragans" <Dustin_Ragans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B311...

pre formatted message
Here is the scenario: I have 30 .doc files that have pictures/text embedded into them which are used to send off as instructions. This works fine if I sent them with Outlook 2000 as file attachments. However, often times I find it easier to send the email off with the pictures/text embedded direclty into the EMAIL rather than send off an attachment. Problem: When I embed the pics/text into the email I have to set the margins to avoid everything from scrambling. Since Outlook doesn't save margin settings for each new email, I have to make these changes EVERY time. Very time consuming. Que...

Error in Chart data
I have a report that is populating from one query. It takes data for a year and groups it by month with the lost time for that month. I am comparing 3 years data 20005, 2006, and 2007. I have set the chart up and it looks good except that my time for each month goes into the data area as a "CountOf" lost time and all months are therefore one. I want to show the lost time for each month. I have tried right clicking on the field in the data area and Autocalc is set to Count, but everything else is grayed out and unavailable. How can I change this setting to just display the valu...

GP Utilities will not proceed on Upgrade from 8sp5 to 10sp3
All, I am attempting to run GP Utilities on my new upgrade to GP10, but it gets to the "Upgrade Microsoft Dynamics GP" screen in the wizard with the next button grayed out and telling me someone is connected. (They are not) Has anyone seen this? I can't find any kb articles that apply. -- Butch Adams, MCSE, MSDST Breakell, Inc. MS Dynamics SL Partner Check the DYNAMICS.dbo.ACTIVITY table SELECT * FROM DYNAMICS.dbo.ACTIVITY If there are records in it, run the following statement USE DYNAMICS GO TRUNCATE TABLE ACTIVITY GO Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PM...

my active sync V 4.5 will sync everything BUT my contacts
I recently upgraded from a Treo 700 to a Treo 800w. My old treo would import and go back and forth with my outlook updating contacts etc etc.... But when I downloaded activesync 4.5 for my new windows 6.1 based phone it syncs everything but my contacts. How do I fix this? By asking in an activsync group. It's not an Outlook issue. -- Russ Valentine "Jon Peterson" <Jon Peterson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06755F84-E984-43A5-8A31-CB3435FBCE53@microsoft.com... >I recently upgraded from a Treo 700 to a Treo 800w. My old treo would ...

Millions will BUY this if you offer it to them.....
Millions will BUY this if you OFFER it to them... Wouldn't it be great if you could realistically offer a product to anyone in the world aged 16 or over with Internet access?... A product of a kind already purchased by countless millions every week. A product so simple to understand, it virtually sells itself. And what if thousands - maybe hundreds of thousands - jumped at the chance to buy it from you? That should keep your cash-flow streaming and your bank account brimming, right? Okay, so what's the product? Well, lean in, because I want to disclose details of something th...