Pivot Table Totals When Using Pages

Dear fellow Excel 2003 users,

I have a pivot table that lists hours of several employees.  A manager
asked if there was a way to view just the non-billable hours.  No
sweat, I added a page field and selected non-billable and the sum of
hours and the grand total showed just the non-billable hours.
However, he was hoping to see the data section of the pivot table show
just the non-billable hours with a column next to it showing the
percentage of non-billable compared to the grand total of billable and
non-billable.

Problem:  after scouring Google and the Help file, I cannot find a way
to keep a filtered data section (just non-billable hours) of a pivot
table while maintaining the complete grand totals (all hours - both
billable and non-billable) without copying and pasting the grand
totals as values off to the side of the pivot table.

Has anyone ever come up with a solution?  Thanks in advance!

Kevin
0
nospam4107 (39)
1/29/2007 9:50:02 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

I can only do it by "cheating"
With a simple table of Name, Hours, Type (Billable or Non Billable)  I
produced a PT with Name as Row, Type as Column and Hours as Data, PT
going to new sheet at A1.

On PT sheet in E4 type % Non Billable
in E5
=GETPIVOTDATA("Hours",$A$3,"Name",A5,"Type","Non
Billable")/GETPIVOTDATA("Hours",$A$3,"Name",A5)
format cell as Percentage
Copy down as Required
Hide columns B & D
Format column E to look like PT format.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"No Spam" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Dear fellow Excel 2003 users,
>
> I have a pivot table that lists hours of several employees.  A manager
> asked if there was a way to view just the non-billable hours.  No
> sweat, I added a page field and selected non-billable and the sum of
> hours and the grand total showed just the non-billable hours.
> However, he was hoping to see the data section of the pivot table show
> just the non-billable hours with a column next to it showing the
> percentage of non-billable compared to the grand total of billable and
> non-billable.
>
> Problem:  after scouring Google and the Help file, I cannot find a way
> to keep a filtered data section (just non-billable hours) of a pivot
> table while maintaining the complete grand totals (all hours - both
> billable and non-billable) without copying and pasting the grand
> totals as values off to the side of the pivot table.
>
> Has anyone ever come up with a solution?  Thanks in advance!
>
> Kevin

0
roger5293 (1125)

Pivot Tables #4

Pivot Table Counting

Pivot Tables

Report based on query w/subquery won't give a Report Footer total
I have a report that runs off a query which pulls item entry times per user. Each record in the table has an EntryStartTime field which is updated as soon as a user updates the first field in the entry form. (Technically the current time is stored in a global variable which is updated once the record is committed.) What I want to do is run a report showing how long it takes for a user to begin a new entry (i.e. the time between the start of record 1 and the start of record 2), and the average of those times. However, in my report, whenever I try to add a field in the Report Footer that...

Pivot Chart Formatting #5

join multiple pivot tables?

Help with pivot table

Using HTTP request to POST XML files?
Hi Sorry if this is posted in the wrong group but I'm brand new to this area. Basically I've got to post some XML documents to an external server using HTTP web request (POST, not GET) and be able to receive files back. I've got the XML file generated and checked over, but I just dont know how to go about the post process. I've got a feeling I'm supposed to create a form in my ASP application with an action which points at the URL I've got for the external server, but I don't know how to "attach" the XML files I'm sending. Do I need to embed the files ...

Using formulas for pivot table

Footnotes too far down the page
I have a pleading in Word 2003 where the footnotes are not spanning pages properly and are overlaying important information in the footer. Is there a way for me to control how far down a footnote can go before it spans to the next page? Richard This should not be happening. Make sure that the Footnote Text style is not formatted as "Keep with next" or "Keep lines together." -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Hyperlink in Pivot Table

In Training Web, use both or neutral gender words.
MSN should use masculine pronouns with feminine pronouns in the paragraph found in their Training website, or stick with non-sexist neutral pronouns. Unless MSN is decidedly feminist, the excluse portrayal of bosses as all being female is unrealistic, to say the least, and sexist, to use a familiar "approbation." Although such grievances have been voiced by feminists and feminist sympathizers about gender and authority, to frown upon masculine only designations of positions (e.g. mailman), the exclusivisty, prejudice, and unprofessionalism of the paragraph cited is an inju...

chart options show data table
Currently using 2 workbooks to produce 1 chart - the source data in workbook 1 and the chart in workbook 2. We also are using the "show data table" option to most easily view all values in the chart. We would like this data to keep it's currency format to best reflect the values in the chart; however, the data table loses this formatting when we close workbook 1. Is there any way to hang onto this formatting after the workbook is closed? Data tables in charts are not particularly flexible or capable. You combine the workbooks. Alternatively, put a table in the chart's...

Flowcharting Table relations
Hey guys and girls. New one for you. I am doing an IT audit of Great Plains and need to flowchart how the data files are related to each other. In other words, how does one file feed into another file, and what field or fields in a particular table is used to relate/link to another table. Does anyone where I can find such information? Thanks Check out the Great Plains SDK available on the installation CDs. There are several diagrams that describe table relationships. Also, there are module documents that contain posting flowcharts. Regards, Kevin Rood Corporate Software Consultants...

PINGing a List of Servers Using VBScript
Hi I am trying to write a script which reads a list of servers from a txt document and then PING each server. It reads the file and adds each server, in turn, to a variable. When I try to run an object which incorporates running PING and should PING the variable content (the server name) it fails to be able to read the contents of the variable. How can I get this to work? I have tried all sorts of scenarios, by changing the syntax and even tried to use a Function but get the same results. DO While ObjTS.AtEndOfStream<>True stroutput = objTS.Readline Set ObjExec = Obj...

Remove Vista Activation use an internal hardware dongle instead.
Almost every user of Windows Vista that I know is completely frustrated by your Windows activation system. Why not simply include a hardware dongle that verifies that only one copy of the software is being used. Without the dongle... the OS would not even boot. Might even stop piracy. Needs to be internal so that it cannot be taken by thieves. Make a serialized dongle that only works with the particular CD installation disk. Or better still.... make a high speed read only internal mini disk that loads the core Operating system. This would prevent Viruses from attacking the core OS...

Pivot Tables #40
Does anyone know if there is a way to quickly clear a field list? I can't find a keyboard shortcut or anything else in any of the help/support avenues I've tried. Thanks in advance for the help. -- ERR229 Are you trying to clear all the check boxes in the field's dropdown list? In Excel 2002 and later versions, there's a Show All checkbox. In Excel 2000, and earlier versions, you can use programming to hide or show the items -- there's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html ERR229 wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a way to quickl...

Problem using xml writer
Hi I want to create following xml document using xmlwriter <?xml version="1.0" ?> - <epps> - <remit_trn type="technical"> <remit_date_dtm dtm = "201" >test</remit_date_dtm> <rmt_payee_n1>test</rmt_payee_n1> <rmt_payee_n1>test</rmt_payee_n1> <rmt_ref>test</rmt_ref> </remit_trn> </epps> I wrote the code to do the same but when I run the code I am getting following exception on executing the following line xmlw.WriteAttributeString("dtm01" , "201&quo...

line column Pivot Charts

I need to convert a word table to excel
When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or two empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is this? usually means there are superfluous paragraph marks in the Word table. "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012E3413-1F64-4018-BC14-A2D6AB68B668@microsoft.com... > When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or > two > empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is > this? ...

deactivate the get pivot formula when I link a cell to a pivot
Currently I using excel 2003, but every time when I link the cell to a pivot table it will convert to a "Get pivot" formula. Is there any way I could deactivate it? See Debra Dalgleish's website for instructions: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot06.html Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "hwtradezheng" wrote: > Currently I using excel 2003, but every time when I link the cell to a pivot > table it will convert to a "Get pivot" formula. Is there any way I could > deactivate it? ...

pivot table error (25000 rows!!)
I am trying to run a pivot table on a file containing 25000 rows. I have 5 duplicate (identical structure) files. The pivot works on each but one. On this file I get an error saying it has too many columns or rows in the pivot table. Drag at least one column or row off the table... Does anybody know what the reason for this message is, are their limits to rows or columns? The identical table works on the other files, therefore this message is so strange. Who has an idea? -- Craig_Richards ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Craig_Richards's Profil...

Using an IF statement on time based data
I have a worksheet of payroll time data by date that i want to identify overtime amounts in excess of 8 hours. I can't seem to write an IF statement that correctly answers the question "If 8 hours or more, enter 8 hours, if less then the the calculated time. It seems to be a formatting problem of moving from time formats to number formats. HELP. Thanks -- DonB =MIN(A1,TIME(8,0,0)) would be one way (with the time worked in A1) DonB wrote: > > I have a worksheet of payroll time data by date that i want to identify > overtime amounts in excess of 8 hours. I can...