Pivot Table - problem with repeated fields

Hi

My data in table are very simply organised as below:

Res.no  City    Code    Var1    Var2    Var3
1	City1	CD0001	num	num	num
2	City1	CD0002	num	num	num
3	City1	CD0003	num	num	num
4	City1	CD0004	num	num	num
5	City1	CD0005	num	num	num
6	City2	CD0006	num	num	num
7	City2	CD0007	num	num	num
8	City2	CD0008	num	num	num
9	City2	CD0009	num	num	num
10	City3	CD0010	num	num	num
11	City4	CD0011	num	num	num
12	City3	CD0012	num	num	num
13	City3	CD0013	num	num	num
14	City3	CD0014	num	num	num
15	City1	CD0015	num	num	num

etc.

I have created pivot table to count a number of Cities, the average of
num from particular columns, min, max and standard dev.

1. First problem: Excel, for some reasons repeates, a few cities in the
fields in Pivot Table such that Pivot Table looks similat similar as below

	Count	average	min	max	std.dev
City1	5	num	num	num	num
City1	1	num	num	num	num
City2	4	num	num	num	num
City3	3	num	num	num	num
City3	1	num	num	num	num
City4	1	num	num	num	num

Instead of counting properly for instance City1 and City3 etc.

	Count	average	min	max	std.dev
City1	6	num	num	num	num
City2	4	num	num	num	num
City3	4	num	num	num	num
City4	1	num	num	num	num

Any idea what could be wrong? I tried to remove all blank spaces and
blank characters in city names but it does not help.

2. The second problem I found is that I don't know how to apply Pivot
Table for Filtered Source Data (using Filter from Data Tab). Pivot Table
does not seem to include the data would be reduced due to for example
excluding zeros etc.

I will be very grateful for any suggestions.

Regards

Zbigniew
0
zebik (7)
12/12/2010 5:32:57 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Dec 13, 4:32=A0am, ZikO <ze...@op.pl> wrote:
> Hi
>
> My data in table are very simply organised as below:

> Res.no =A0City =A0 =A0Code =A0 =A0Var1 =A0 =A0Var2 =A0 =A0Var3
> 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 City1 =A0 CD0001 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 2 =A0 =A0 =A0 City1 =A0 CD0002 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 3 =A0 =A0 =A0 City1 =A0 CD0003 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 4 =A0 =A0 =A0 City1 =A0 CD0004 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 5 =A0 =A0 =A0 City1 =A0 CD0005 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 6 =A0 =A0 =A0 City2 =A0 CD0006 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 7 =A0 =A0 =A0 City2 =A0 CD0007 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 8 =A0 =A0 =A0 City2 =A0 CD0008 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 9 =A0 =A0 =A0 City2 =A0 CD0009 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 10 =A0 =A0 =A0City3 =A0 CD0010 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 11 =A0 =A0 =A0City4 =A0 CD0011 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 12 =A0 =A0 =A0City3 =A0 CD0012 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 13 =A0 =A0 =A0City3 =A0 CD0013 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 14 =A0 =A0 =A0City3 =A0 CD0014 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 15 =A0 =A0 =A0City1 =A0 CD0015 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
>
> etc.
>
> I have created pivot table to count a number of Cities, the average of
> num from particular columns, min, max and standard dev.
>
> 1. First problem: Excel, for some reasons repeates, a few cities in the
> fields in Pivot Table such that Pivot Table looks similat similar as belo=

> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Count =A0 average min =A0 =A0 max =A0 =A0 std.dev
> City1 =A0 5 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City1 =A0 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City2 =A0 4 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City3 =A0 3 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City3 =A0 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City4 =A0 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
>
> Instead of counting properly for instance City1 and City3 etc.

> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Count =A0 average min =A0 =A0 max =A0 =A0 std.dev
> City1 =A0 6 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City2 =A0 4 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City3 =A0 4 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City4 =A0 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
>
> Any idea what could be wrong? I tried to remove all blank spaces and
> blank characters in city names but it does not help.
>
> 2. The second problem I found is that I don't know how to apply Pivot
> Table for Filtered Source Data (using Filter from Data Tab). Pivot Table
> does not seem to include the data would be reduced due to for example
> excluding zeros etc.
>
> I will be very grateful for any suggestions.
>
> Regards
>
> Zbigniew

If you copy column with the city names to a new worksheet and then
remove duplicates (Data/Data Tools in Excel 2007) does it leave a
unique list of cities or does there appear to be duplicates?
With your second question, I don't know answer but I will be
interested to hear the solution.
On Dec 13, 4:32=A0am, ZikO <ze...@op.pl> wrote:
> Hi
>
> My data in table are very simply organised as below:

> Res.no =A0City =A0 =A0Code =A0 =A0Var1 =A0 =A0Var2 =A0 =A0Var3
> 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 City1 =A0 CD0001 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 2 =A0 =A0 =A0 City1 =A0 CD0002 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 3 =A0 =A0 =A0 City1 =A0 CD0003 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 4 =A0 =A0 =A0 City1 =A0 CD0004 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 5 =A0 =A0 =A0 City1 =A0 CD0005 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 6 =A0 =A0 =A0 City2 =A0 CD0006 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 7 =A0 =A0 =A0 City2 =A0 CD0007 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 8 =A0 =A0 =A0 City2 =A0 CD0008 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 9 =A0 =A0 =A0 City2 =A0 CD0009 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 10 =A0 =A0 =A0City3 =A0 CD0010 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 11 =A0 =A0 =A0City4 =A0 CD0011 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 12 =A0 =A0 =A0City3 =A0 CD0012 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 13 =A0 =A0 =A0City3 =A0 CD0013 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 14 =A0 =A0 =A0City3 =A0 CD0014 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> 15 =A0 =A0 =A0City1 =A0 CD0015 =A0num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
>
> etc.
>
> I have created pivot table to count a number of Cities, the average of
> num from particular columns, min, max and standard dev.
>
> 1. First problem: Excel, for some reasons repeates, a few cities in the
> fields in Pivot Table such that Pivot Table looks similat similar as belo=

> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Count =A0 average min =A0 =A0 max =A0 =A0 std.dev
> City1 =A0 5 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City1 =A0 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City2 =A0 4 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City3 =A0 3 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City3 =A0 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City4 =A0 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
>
> Instead of counting properly for instance City1 and City3 etc.

> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Count =A0 average min =A0 =A0 max =A0 =A0 std.dev
> City1 =A0 6 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City2 =A0 4 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City3 =A0 4 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
> City4 =A0 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num =A0 =A0 num
>
> Any idea what could be wrong? I tried to remove all blank spaces and
> blank characters in city names but it does not help.
>
> 2. The second problem I found is that I don't know how to apply Pivot
> Table for Filtered Source Data (using Filter from Data Tab). Pivot Table
> does not seem to include the data would be reduced due to for example
> excluding zeros etc.
>
> I will be very grateful for any suggestions.
>
> Regards
>
> Zbigniew

Sorry I just read your post properly. I see now that there are
duplicates.
I am not sure what the solution is for that then. I have situations
where what appear to blank cells are not blank (apparently) but I
can't see any characters in the cells. I don't know what is going on
there. I'll be reading this thread. I hope you get answers from people
who are more knowledgeable than me.
Maybe once you remove true duplicates and then past the data into some
text editing program you might see some characters that aren't visible
in Excel?
You have differences in the spelling of the "same" city names.

"City1" and "City1 " (with an extra trailing space) or "City 1" (with an extra
embedded space.

You may have to look very closely (inspecting each character in each cell using
the formula bar????) to find the differences, but they're there.

--
Dave Peterson
0
On 13/12/2010 13:31, Dave Peterson wrote:
> You have differences in the spelling of the "same" city names.
>
> "City1" and "City1 " (with an extra trailing space) or "City 1" (with an
> extra embedded space.
>
> You may have to look very closely (inspecting each character in each
> cell using the formula bar????) to find the differences, but they're there.

thank for answer.

It seems like I have something extra in those cells and Filter from Data
tab (Ribbon) seems to avoid those little mismatches.

Thanks

Regards
0
zebik (7)
12/14/2010 2:06:28 AM
> Sorry I just read your post properly. I see now that there are
> duplicates.
> I am not sure what the solution is for that then. I have situations
> where what appear to blank cells are not blank (apparently) but I
> can't see any characters in the cells. I don't know what is going on
> there. I'll be reading this thread. I hope you get answers from people
> who are more knowledgeable than me.
> Maybe once you remove true duplicates and then past the data into some
> text editing program you might see some characters that aren't visible
> in Excel?

Np.

I have found that if you have extra white spaces before name such as:
[Space]Aaaa'
Aaaa
Aaaa[space]

etc.

Then Pivot table will show first name as Blank, second and third name
separately.

I hope it can help you.

Regards
0
zebik (7)

Pivot Tables #4

Pivot Table Counting

Pivot Tables

Pivot Chart Formatting #5

What is the logic having ItemID mandatory in Field Service Equipem
Why MS done this. I wanted to implement field service with GP in automotive industry, and mapping the equipment as customer vehicle but the probelm is that everytime I create vehicle record I have to also create the item. Thing If I have 100000 vehicles (equipemnts) then same items I have to create. Secondly what will be type of item, can be just have only Vehicle (Equipment) and not having item. Microsoft what is the logic behind this and none of the document state why it is like that. ...

Copy form field data to clipboard
I have set the field I want to have focus and then wish to copy the data to the clipboard. Can someone help me with the code for this. Forms!frmExhibitorInfoVerification!Email.SetFocus -- Entering the world of VBA and coding Delta If the desired field has focus, use: RunCommand acCmdCopy If you need to manipulate strings first (e.g. combinating data from several fields), it's more complex: http://allenbrowne.com/func-07b.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenb...

join multiple pivot tables?

Help with pivot table

Using formulas for pivot table

Hyperlink in Pivot Table

calculated fields on form and workflow
Hi all We've got the following problem. We use js to calculate fields on the opportunity form. (just summate some numbers) Now, we want to adjust the probability due to the state of the tasks you have to complete within a opportunity with the help of a workflow. The problem now is, that the calculated fields are not want to update with the new given probability! (javascript runs only with update/open/save the form or change field) What would be the best practise to realise something like that? Or is it simple possible to run js within a workflow to re-calculate it with the new pr...

chart options show data table
Currently using 2 workbooks to produce 1 chart - the source data in workbook 1 and the chart in workbook 2. We also are using the "show data table" option to most easily view all values in the chart. We would like this data to keep it's currency format to best reflect the values in the chart; however, the data table loses this formatting when we close workbook 1. Is there any way to hang onto this formatting after the workbook is closed? Data tables in charts are not particularly flexible or capable. You combine the workbooks. Alternatively, put a table in the chart's...

Flowcharting Table relations
Hey guys and girls. New one for you. I am doing an IT audit of Great Plains and need to flowchart how the data files are related to each other. In other words, how does one file feed into another file, and what field or fields in a particular table is used to relate/link to another table. Does anyone where I can find such information? Thanks Check out the Great Plains SDK available on the installation CDs. There are several diagrams that describe table relationships. Also, there are module documents that contain posting flowcharts. Regards, Kevin Rood Corporate Software Consultants...

Combining forename and surname fields in report
Hi All, I've been searching for about an hour to resolve a little problem with my reports and need some help... My report has a forename field and surname field that come directly from the table, the problem is that there is a gap between the two fields and not all of the data is showing up in the report. Is it possible to combine the two fields so that the full name displays smoothly? The surname is in upper case but if this changes it doesn't really matter... Please help! Sam -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/...

Pivot Tables #40
Does anyone know if there is a way to quickly clear a field list? I can't find a keyboard shortcut or anything else in any of the help/support avenues I've tried. Thanks in advance for the help. -- ERR229 Are you trying to clear all the check boxes in the field's dropdown list? In Excel 2002 and later versions, there's a Show All checkbox. In Excel 2000, and earlier versions, you can use programming to hide or show the items -- there's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html ERR229 wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a way to quickl...

I need to convert a word table to excel
When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or two empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is this? usually means there are superfluous paragraph marks in the Word table. "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012E3413-1F64-4018-BC14-A2D6AB68B668@microsoft.com... > When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or > two > empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is > this? ...

line column Pivot Charts

deactivate the get pivot formula when I link a cell to a pivot
Currently I using excel 2003, but every time when I link the cell to a pivot table it will convert to a "Get pivot" formula. Is there any way I could deactivate it? See Debra Dalgleish's website for instructions: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot06.html Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "hwtradezheng" wrote: > Currently I using excel 2003, but every time when I link the cell to a pivot > table it will convert to a "Get pivot" formula. Is there any way I could > deactivate it? ...

pivot table error (25000 rows!!)
I am trying to run a pivot table on a file containing 25000 rows. I have 5 duplicate (identical structure) files. The pivot works on each but one. On this file I get an error saying it has too many columns or rows in the pivot table. Drag at least one column or row off the table... Does anybody know what the reason for this message is, are their limits to rows or columns? The identical table works on the other files, therefore this message is so strange. Who has an idea? -- Craig_Richards ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Craig_Richards's Profil...

Custom fields showing as Number type in Crystal but Picklist in CRM
I've just installed Crystal Reports (9.2.2) and connected it to my CRM 1.2 database. I notice that custom fields I've added as Picklist type fields in CRM are appearing as Number type fields in Crystal, and therefore showing a number (eg 3) rather than the expected picklist item (eg 'Mobile'). Any ideas? Picklist values are stored in the StringMap table "Roger Strain" <roger@liquidthought.co.za> wrote in message news:4f36724f.0408191103.588694a5@posting.google.com... > I've just installed Crystal Reports (9.2.2) and connected it to my CRM > 1.2 da...

Pivot table move up command
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I need to move up values in a pivot table to custom order them. When I right-click I see the &quot;Move&quot; menu, but the options to move up, move down, move to beginning and move to end are greyed out. Did you find an answer? Katy MelKC wrote: Pivot table move up command 04-Feb-10 Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I need to move up values in a pivot table to custom order them. When I right-click I see the &quot;Move&quot; menu, but the options to move up, move d...

enterprise resources in which table of which database
when i add resource from active directory to resource center .and i want to know in which database and in which table it will saved first. -- It should be in the Published and the Reporting database. In the tables labeled "..Resource" Jonathan "Basim" <Basim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B443F9A1-E8FD-4DF5-A347-A13A626EDE67@microsoft.com... > when i add resource from active directory to resource center .and i want > to > know in which database and in which table it will saved first. > > > -- > ...

Opening a window(form) with VBA / storing data in a separate table
Hi all, First Question---- I have a third party application (Additional Inventory Fields in the ActNow series from Hawk Mountain) that currently is accessed from the Extra menu while in item maintenance. I have added a button to the item maintenance form and I am trying to figure our what VBA code I need to put in so that when the user clicks on the button that it launches the form that is currently accessed via the menu. This is not currently a VBA form but the window that comes with the application. I have tried to put an "OnUserChanged" event on the button with a FormName.Open...