pivot table formatting #3

Using 2003 (11.5612.8107)

This is my first real work with a pivot table.  In 10 minutes I was able to
create a beautiful table with exactly the desired look.  However if there is
any slight change, I have to rebuild things from scratch or at least reformat
it.  For example in the left most (Row field) i use Request Type.  If I
change the Request Types being displayed, the format of the table comes
undone.

I have read an old post and selected Pivot Table, Table options, Preserve
Formatting.  I've also clicked on Select, Enable selection.  Yet if I add or
remove one of the items to display and all the column widths need resetting.

Is this normal PT behavior?  It makes it unviable if I can't lock it down.

Thanks much,

Russ
0
xrbbaker (61)
3/22/2007 12:26:00 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

There was another checkbox for "Auto Format" 2 positions above the checkbox
for "Preserve Formatting".  Whenever you check "Preserve Formatting", you
need to uncheck "Auto Format" in order to stop that behavior.

"xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using 2003 (11.5612.8107)
>
> This is my first real work with a pivot table.  In 10 minutes I was able
> create a beautiful table with exactly the desired look.  However if there
> is
> any slight change, I have to rebuild things from scratch or at least
> reformat
> it.  For example in the left most (Row field) i use Request Type.  If I
> change the Request Types being displayed, the format of the table comes
> undone.
>
> I have read an old post and selected Pivot Table, Table options, Preserve
> Formatting.  I've also clicked on Select, Enable selection.  Yet if I add
> or
> remove one of the items to display and all the column widths need
> resetting.
>
> Is this normal PT behavior?  It makes it unviable if I can't lock it down.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Russ

0
KC
3/22/2007 3:12:27 PM
AAAaaahhhh!!  See it.  Thanks.  One more quick question.  I can't tell when
Pivot Table|Select|Enable Selection is selected or unselected.  It appears
two ways:

one where the little graphic to the left is all grayish, and one where the
little graphic to the left is grayish with a little bit of border color.
Which graphic indicates that Enable Selection is actually selected?

thanks

"KC Rippstein" wrote:

> There was another checkbox for "Auto Format" 2 positions above the checkbox
> for "Preserve Formatting".  Whenever you check "Preserve Formatting", you
> need to uncheck "Auto Format" in order to stop that behavior.
>
> "xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Using 2003 (11.5612.8107)
> >
> > This is my first real work with a pivot table.  In 10 minutes I was able
> > create a beautiful table with exactly the desired look.  However if there
> > is
> > any slight change, I have to rebuild things from scratch or at least
> > reformat
> > it.  For example in the left most (Row field) i use Request Type.  If I
> > change the Request Types being displayed, the format of the table comes
> > undone.
> >
> > I have read an old post and selected Pivot Table, Table options, Preserve
> > Formatting.  I've also clicked on Select, Enable selection.  Yet if I add
> > or
> > remove one of the items to display and all the column widths need
> > resetting.
> >
> > Is this normal PT behavior?  It makes it unviable if I can't lock it down.
> >
> > Thanks much,
> >
> > Russ

0
xrbbaker (61)
3/22/2007 5:07:00 PM
KC -

I'm struggling.  I have:

*  all filters set to "All"
*  Talbe Options|Preserve formatting checked
*  Talbe Options|Autoformat table un-checked
*  can't tell whether Select|Enable selction is on or off.  I've tried it
both ways

I do all that and then do some slight formatting changes - add a border,
change most columns to Wrap Text.  then I change any one of the filters from
All to something less than All, and the borders disappear and the Wrap Text
goes away.

Arrgh.

Russ

"KC Rippstein" wrote:

> There was another checkbox for "Auto Format" 2 positions above the checkbox
> for "Preserve Formatting".  Whenever you check "Preserve Formatting", you
> need to uncheck "Auto Format" in order to stop that behavior.
>
> "xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Using 2003 (11.5612.8107)
> >
> > This is my first real work with a pivot table.  In 10 minutes I was able
> > create a beautiful table with exactly the desired look.  However if there
> > is
> > any slight change, I have to rebuild things from scratch or at least
> > reformat
> > it.  For example in the left most (Row field) i use Request Type.  If I
> > change the Request Types being displayed, the format of the table comes
> > undone.
> >
> > I have read an old post and selected Pivot Table, Table options, Preserve
> > Formatting.  I've also clicked on Select, Enable selection.  Yet if I add
> > or
> > remove one of the items to display and all the column widths need
> > resetting.
> >
> > Is this normal PT behavior?  It makes it unviable if I can't lock it down.
> >
> > Thanks much,
> >
> > Russ

0
xrbbaker (61)
3/22/2007 5:33:22 PM
FIgured it out!

In order to get the column width and wrap-text formatting to "stick" I must:

1)  do NOT select the whole worksheet column.  Instead hover the mouse above
the tope of the PT column until it turns into a black down arrow

-AND-

2)  then right mouse click on the now highlighted column and select Format
Cells.  Seems like if I use the Format Cells from the main menu the
formatting doesn't stick.

"KC Rippstein" wrote:

> There was another checkbox for "Auto Format" 2 positions above the checkbox
> for "Preserve Formatting".  Whenever you check "Preserve Formatting", you
> need to uncheck "Auto Format" in order to stop that behavior.
>
> "xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Using 2003 (11.5612.8107)
> >
> > This is my first real work with a pivot table.  In 10 minutes I was able
> > create a beautiful table with exactly the desired look.  However if there
> > is
> > any slight change, I have to rebuild things from scratch or at least
> > reformat
> > it.  For example in the left most (Row field) i use Request Type.  If I
> > change the Request Types being displayed, the format of the table comes
> > undone.
> >
> > I have read an old post and selected Pivot Table, Table options, Preserve
> > Formatting.  I've also clicked on Select, Enable selection.  Yet if I add
> > or
> > remove one of the items to display and all the column widths need
> > resetting.
> >
> > Is this normal PT behavior?  It makes it unviable if I can't lock it down.
> >
> > Thanks much,
> >
> > Russ

0
xrbbaker (61)
3/22/2007 6:02:00 PM
Exactly.  Sorry, I was out to lunch...glad you figured it out.  I was going
to mention your first point.  When you are working with a pivot table,
forget the fact that it's on a worksheet...the worksheet itself is actually
rather irrelevant for the most part.  Virtually all your formatting and
properties are attributed to your OBJECT (the various areas of the pivot
table itself) rather than to the worksheet.  Same thing with charts,
pictures, and other objects you work with in Excel.
Good job!

> FIgured it out!
>
> In order to get the column width and wrap-text formatting to "stick" I
> must:
>
> 1)  do NOT select the whole worksheet column.  Instead hover the mouse
> above
> the tope of the PT column until it turns into a black down arrow
>
> -AND-
>
> 2)  then right mouse click on the now highlighted column and select Format
> Cells.  Seems like if I use the Format Cells from the main menu the
> formatting doesn't stick.
>

> "KC Rippstein" wrote:
>
>> There was another checkbox for "Auto Format" 2 positions above the
>> checkbox
>> for "Preserve Formatting".  Whenever you check "Preserve Formatting", you
>> need to uncheck "Auto Format" in order to stop that behavior.
>>
>> "xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Using 2003 (11.5612.8107)
>> >
>> > This is my first real work with a pivot table.  In 10 minutes I was
>> > able
>> > create a beautiful table with exactly the desired look.  However if
>> > there
>> > is
>> > any slight change, I have to rebuild things from scratch or at least
>> > reformat
>> > it.  For example in the left most (Row field) i use Request Type.  If I
>> > change the Request Types being displayed, the format of the table comes
>> > undone.
>> >
>> > I have read an old post and selected Pivot Table, Table options,
>> > Preserve
>> > Formatting.  I've also clicked on Select, Enable selection.  Yet if I
>> > add
>> > or
>> > remove one of the items to display and all the column widths need
>> > resetting.
>> >
>> > Is this normal PT behavior?  It makes it unviable if I can't lock it
>> > down.
>> >
>> > Thanks much,
>> >
>> > Russ

0
KC
3/22/2007 6:34:09 PM
KC - are you still with me?

Things are going well.  I've modified my pivot table to pull from a dynamic
Named Constant so I can change the size of data inputted.  Very cool.

My last bit of formatting angst is that I can't get the far right Total
column headings to keep their Bold format.  Whever I press the refresh key,
the bold goes away.  For these 2 fileds there is no "Black arrow" option.  I
can make the arrow appear above the column, but then applying the bold format
would bold the data, and I only want the column heading to be bold.

I need to make this bullet-proof as I'm a contractor and will leave at some
point.  I don't want the users to have to do anything more than paste in the
new data each month.  Any ideas?

thx

"KC Rippstein" wrote:

> Exactly.  Sorry, I was out to lunch...glad you figured it out.  I was going
> to mention your first point.  When you are working with a pivot table,
> forget the fact that it's on a worksheet...the worksheet itself is actually
> rather irrelevant for the most part.  Virtually all your formatting and
> properties are attributed to your OBJECT (the various areas of the pivot
> table itself) rather than to the worksheet.  Same thing with charts,
> pictures, and other objects you work with in Excel.
> Good job!
>
> "xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > FIgured it out!
> >
> > In order to get the column width and wrap-text formatting to "stick" I
> > must:
> >
> > 1)  do NOT select the whole worksheet column.  Instead hover the mouse
> > above
> > the tope of the PT column until it turns into a black down arrow
> >
> > -AND-
> >
> > 2)  then right mouse click on the now highlighted column and select Format
> > Cells.  Seems like if I use the Format Cells from the main menu the
> > formatting doesn't stick.
> >

> > "KC Rippstein" wrote:
> >
> >> There was another checkbox for "Auto Format" 2 positions above the
> >> checkbox
> >> for "Preserve Formatting".  Whenever you check "Preserve Formatting", you
> >> need to uncheck "Auto Format" in order to stop that behavior.
> >>
> >> "xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
xrbbaker (61)
3/23/2007 2:12:13 PM
Yep, I'm here. :)

My only suggestion is to approach it from the side instead of from the top.
Position your mouse over the row of the pivot table that has all your
"titles" for each column and format all those headers to bold.  That's the
best I can offer without getting into a macro (which I'm not great at...just
got 2 VBA books for Christmas and am getting better, though).

By the way, if you really want to avoid the end user having to "refresh" the
pivot table, you can have it automatically refresh whenever the file is
opened (which does not help when you open it and then add new source
data...you still have to manually refresh then).  Or you can have it refresh
any time someone selects the pivot table worksheet; just right click that
worksheet tab and select "View Code", then paste this in there:
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
   Me.PivotTables(1).PivotCache.Refresh
End Sub
Press Alt+Q to get out of the Visual Basic Editor.  If you don't want the
pop-up window that asks the end user to allow/deny macros, try digitally
signing the worksheet.  Otherwise, they just have to remember to always
allow macros.  I find this more attractive than having to remember to
manually refresh the pivot table when the source data is changed.  People
just forget to do it, so automating the refresh is generally a better
long-term solution.

> KC - are you still with me?
>
> Things are going well.  I've modified my pivot table to pull from a
> dynamic
> Named Constant so I can change the size of data inputted.  Very cool.
>
> My last bit of formatting angst is that I can't get the far right Total
> column headings to keep their Bold format.  Whever I press the refresh
> key,
> the bold goes away.  For these 2 fileds there is no "Black arrow" option.
> can make the arrow appear above the column, but then applying the bold
> format
> would bold the data, and I only want the column heading to be bold.
>
> I need to make this bullet-proof as I'm a contractor and will leave at
> some
> point.  I don't want the users to have to do anything more than paste in
> the
> new data each month.  Any ideas?
>
> thx
>
> "KC Rippstein" wrote:
>
>> Exactly.  Sorry, I was out to lunch...glad you figured it out.  I was
>> going
>> to mention your first point.  When you are working with a pivot table,
>> forget the fact that it's on a worksheet...the worksheet itself is
>> actually
>> rather irrelevant for the most part.  Virtually all your formatting and
>> properties are attributed to your OBJECT (the various areas of the pivot
>> table itself) rather than to the worksheet.  Same thing with charts,
>> pictures, and other objects you work with in Excel.
>> Good job!
>>
>> "xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > FIgured it out!
>> >
>> > In order to get the column width and wrap-text formatting to "stick" I
>> > must:
>> >
>> > 1)  do NOT select the whole worksheet column.  Instead hover the mouse
>> > above
>> > the tope of the PT column until it turns into a black down arrow
>> >
>> > -AND-
>> >
>> > 2)  then right mouse click on the now highlighted column and select
>> > Format
>> > Cells.  Seems like if I use the Format Cells from the main menu the
>> > formatting doesn't stick.

0
KC
3/23/2007 4:23:47 PM
More good ideas.  thanks so much!  I eventually figured a work around.  why
do i have to have so many work arounds with excel?  it's very cool and very
frustrating.  anyway i ended up hovering the black arrow over the top of the
column and turning the whole column to bold.  i then went to the left had
side of the report and hovered over the rows and unbolded the ones i don't
want to be bold.  pain in the butt but once complete the formatting sticks.
darn nice looking report now!

thanks again for all the help

cheers!

"KC Rippstein" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I need to make this bullet-proof as I'm a contractor and will leave at
> > some
> > point.  I don't want the users to have to do anything more than paste in
> > the
> > new data each month.  Any ideas?
> >
> > thx
> >
> > "KC Rippstein" wrote:
> >
> >> Exactly.  Sorry, I was out to lunch...glad you figured it out.  I was
> >> going
> >> to mention your first point.  When you are working with a pivot table,
> >> forget the fact that it's on a worksheet...the worksheet itself is
> >> actually
> >> rather irrelevant for the most part.  Virtually all your formatting and
> >> properties are attributed to your OBJECT (the various areas of the pivot
> >> table itself) rather than to the worksheet.  Same thing with charts,
> >> pictures, and other objects you work with in Excel.

0
xrbbaker (61)

Pivot Tables #4

Pivot Table Counting

Pivot Tables

Margins format
hi, i have a document in 2007 where users pasted different pieces including Excel tables. How do i bring them all to a single margin format as some pages are wider than the others? i tried the format brush tool but it did not work Thank you , -- ______ Regards, Greg In Page Setup, you can set the margins for "Whole document," which will take care of the margins even if the document contains more than one section. It will not, however, affect the width of existing tables. What you'll need to do for those is to set the table width (Table tab of Table Prop...

"Automatic Formating" (colored bars)
I can't get the auto format for the colored bars to show. I have several set previously with no problem but I am trying to create one with "the word 'Week' in the subject field" to turn the orange color (or what ever color) but it won't. I've looked for other formats that may be overiding it but none. I have cleared form cache and emptied the Deleted items folder how many autoformatting rules are in the view? Someone else recently had problems with more than 4 autoformatting rules in a view and opening outlook with the /cleanviews switch fixed it - but u...

Pivot Chart Formatting #5

join multiple pivot tables?

Help with pivot table

Lookup help #3
Ifyou have a classification of data of ABC and it appears in a list times with different information when I want to do a vlookup to pul all the relevant data for ABC into a new sheet, then the lookup wil just pull back the data for the first one found continuously and no move onto the second and third listing of ABC. So how do you get th lookup to move on through the sheet to pull back all of the relevan data? i.e. ABC 12 12 12 ABC 13 12 13 ABC 14 12 14 The present vlookup will just bring back ABC 12 12 12 And not move onto the other returns for this classification. T...

Using formulas for pivot table

Conditional format problem
I have a column of data in an excel spreadsheet that uses the "workday" function to create a cell value that shows a date. when you manually input a date in one of the cells, all of the cells below auto adjust to the new dates based on the "workday" formula. what I want to do is when a date is manually input into one of the cells that has the workday formula in it, I want the cell to change color if the new date is before or after the date that was originally in this cell with the formula. when I try to input the conditional format, I am getting an error message that...

Phone number format in Outlook contacts
After re-instlling Outlook my phone numbers in my contacts changed format. It used to be 123-345-5678 now it is (123) 345-5678 How can I change it back? Dermot You can't. Masking of phone numbers is hard coded. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "singapore tom" <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote in message news:e5nXG6FyEHA.2200@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > After re-instlling Outlook my phone numbers in my contacts changed format. > It used to be 123-345-5678 > now it is (123) 345-5678 > How can I change it back? > Dermot > "Russ Valentin...

Hyperlink in Pivot Table

chart options show data table
Currently using 2 workbooks to produce 1 chart - the source data in workbook 1 and the chart in workbook 2. We also are using the "show data table" option to most easily view all values in the chart. We would like this data to keep it's currency format to best reflect the values in the chart; however, the data table loses this formatting when we close workbook 1. Is there any way to hang onto this formatting after the workbook is closed? Data tables in charts are not particularly flexible or capable. You combine the workbooks. Alternatively, put a table in the chart's...

Flowcharting Table relations
Hey guys and girls. New one for you. I am doing an IT audit of Great Plains and need to flowchart how the data files are related to each other. In other words, how does one file feed into another file, and what field or fields in a particular table is used to relate/link to another table. Does anyone where I can find such information? Thanks Check out the Great Plains SDK available on the installation CDs. There are several diagrams that describe table relationships. Also, there are module documents that contain posting flowcharts. Regards, Kevin Rood Corporate Software Consultants...

Excel Passwords #3
Quick question. Is there anyway I can get into an old employees spreadsheet that is password protected if I don't know the password (its on a MAC). Cheers, Dave Lookup 'Forget Excel Password in Google, you should find some clues there. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:f90601c3f217$f9c85050$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Quick question. Is there anyway I can get into an old > employees spreadsheet...

Outlook Stationery #3
I use a number of email addresses via Outlook for different purposes. Is there any way I can set up a default stationery for use with each ? Thx What version of Outlook are you using? I think that each email account can have its own default signature. Have you checked out the Signatures dialog? "Rock" <rogerhancock@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:#$oBDnpHKHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I use a number of email addresses via Outlook for different purposes. Is > there any way I can set up a default stationery for use with each ? Thx Stationery, no. Depen...

Pivot Tables #40
Does anyone know if there is a way to quickly clear a field list? I can't find a keyboard shortcut or anything else in any of the help/support avenues I've tried. Thanks in advance for the help. -- ERR229 Are you trying to clear all the check boxes in the field's dropdown list? In Excel 2002 and later versions, there's a Show All checkbox. In Excel 2000, and earlier versions, you can use programming to hide or show the items -- there's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot03.html ERR229 wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a way to quickl...

Excell date formating
I am trying to type numbers with dashes and slashes, but excell always converts to date format, How do I stop this? Thanks, Doug Hi Doug, Precede with an apostrophe (single quote, '). It will cause Excel to treat the enry as text and not show the apostrophe. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Alida de Jongstraat 7 2401 KS Alphen aan den Rijn Netherlands tel. +31-172-416 880 mobile: +31-6-518 62 541 e-mail: niek.otten@xs4all.nl "Doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:257501c47027$9412ec00$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to type numbers with das...

how do I convert a publisher document to .jpeg format?
I want to save a Publisher document as a .jpeg file. The help topics say it can be done, but I haven't been able to find out how in the help menu. Any ideas will be appreciated... Is there a reason why you want a .jpg? Would a .pdf work? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Thumper" <Thumper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9FB0F29-3D95-4E22-963B-F2004CA37AE7@microsoft.com... >I want to save a Publisher document as a .jpeg file. The help topics say it > can be done, but I haven't been able to find out how in the help menu. Any > ...

I need to convert a word table to excel
When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or two empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is this? usually means there are superfluous paragraph marks in the Word table. "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012E3413-1F64-4018-BC14-A2D6AB68B668@microsoft.com... > When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or > two > empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is > this? ...

line column Pivot Charts

Formatting with MFC
I have an MFC application but I have left the formatting of the controls at the default setting. How do I do the following formatting operations: - Change font size and colour of static text controls - Change edit controls to be 'flat' - Change height/width of edit box - Change text size in edit control - Change background color on dialog box Thanks. >How do I do the following formatting operations: > >- Change font size and colour of static text controls >- Change text size in edit control Make use of WM_SETFONT & handle WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC. >- Change edit c...