Pivot table calculated item problems

Hi,

Given a set of raw data shaped like this:

Cat    Item    Value
--------------------
  1        1        45
  1        2        37
  1        3        40
  2        1        38
  2        2        34
  2        3        31
  3        1        36
  3        2        39
  3        3        40

I created a pivot table that uses "Cat" as a row field and "Value" as a data
field. I then change the summary function for the "Value" field to use
"Average". Next, I add the "Value" field as a data field again and this time
change the summary function to "StDev". This all works ok.

I'd like to add a calculated item to my pivot table that allows me to take
the standard deviation of "Value" and divide that by the average of "Value"
to calculate the coefficient of variance.

When I try to add a calculated item to calculate the coefficient of variance
(i.e. STDEV(value) / AVG(value) , I get the following error from Excel:

"Multiple data fields of the same field are not supported when a pivottable
report has calculated items"

However, even if I eliminate this problem, I get another message from Excel
when trying to add a calculated item as follows:

"Averages, standard deviations, and variances are not supported when a
pivottable report has calculated items"

Can anyone suggest how I would go about adding this calculation (i.e.
STDEV(value) / AVG(value) to my pivot table?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

0
Jim
3/15/2005 10:41:41 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could do the calculation in a column adjacent to the pivot table,
but you won't be able to create a calculated field to do it in the pivot
table.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
3/15/2005 11:12:48 PM
Deb,

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm...I'm trying to create a reusable "template" for data analysis of this
data from a database. So, adding an adjacent column seems dangerous for two
reasons:

    - The calculations would use GETPIVOTDATA function which does not fill
down correctly
    - What happens if the user rearranges the pivot table. Does this destroy
the adjacent column and it's data?

It certainly helps to know that I'm barking up the wrong tree with trying
the calculated item. I'm scratching my head for a better approach...

Cheers,
Jim

"Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> You could do the calculation in a column adjacent to the pivot table, but
> you won't be able to create a calculated field to do it in the pivot
> table.
>
> Jim~C wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Given a set of raw data shaped like this:
>>
>> Cat    Item    Value
>> --------------------
>>   1        1        45
>>   1        2        37
>>   1        3        40
>>   2        1        38
>>   2        2        34
>>   2        3        31
>>   3        1        36
>>   3        2        39
>>   3        3        40
>>
>> I created a pivot table that uses "Cat" as a row field and "Value" as a
>> data field. I then change the summary function for the "Value" field to
>> use "Average". Next, I add the "Value" field as a data field again and
>> this time change the summary function to "StDev". This all works ok.
>>
>> I'd like to add a calculated item to my pivot table that allows me to
>> take the standard deviation of "Value" and divide that by the average of
>> "Value" to calculate the coefficient of variance.
>>
>> When I try to add a calculated item to calculate the coefficient of
>> variance (i.e. STDEV(value) / AVG(value) , I get the following error from
>> Excel:
>>
>> "Multiple data fields of the same field are not supported when a
>> pivottable report has calculated items"
>>
>> However, even if I eliminate this problem, I get another message from
>> Excel when trying to add a calculated item as follows:
>>
>> "Averages, standard deviations, and variances are not supported when a
>> pivottable report has calculated items"
>>
>> Can anyone suggest how I would go about adding this calculation (i.e.
>> STDEV(value) / AVG(value) to my pivot table?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Jim
>>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Jim
3/15/2005 11:24:54 PM
You can turn off GETPIVOTDATA and fill down normally

See Debra's site at:-

Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

<snip>

0
ken.wright (2489)
3/15/2005 11:57:30 PM
It seems to me that you could create a separate column (called CV) in the
Excel Table that calculates the CV in a specific Cell using the formula you
noted.  Then when you create the Pivot table use that column in the data
area for the Pivot table.

"Jim~C" <jdchanATnovusint.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >> take the standard deviation of "Value" and divide that by the average
of
> >> "Value" to calculate the coefficient of variance.
> >>
> >> When I try to add a calculated item to calculate the coefficient of
> >> variance (i.e. STDEV(value) / AVG(value) , I get the following error
from
> >> Excel:
> >>
> >> "Multiple data fields of the same field are not supported when a
> >> pivottable report has calculated items"
> >>
> >> However, even if I eliminate this problem, I get another message from
> >> Excel when trying to add a calculated item as follows:
> >>
> >> "Averages, standard deviations, and variances are not supported when a
> >> pivottable report has calculated items"
> >>
> >> Can anyone suggest how I would go about adding this calculation (i.e.
> >> STDEV(value) / AVG(value) to my pivot table?

zelig (9)
3/17/2005 10:24:57 PM
Yes, that would be great except that calculating the CV is only valid when
using the averages calculated by the pivot table.

"Zel Dolinsky" <zelig@snet.net> wrote in message
> It seems to me that you could create a separate column (called CV) in the
> Excel Table that calculates the CV in a specific Cell using the formula
> you
> noted.  Then when you create the Pivot table use that column in the data
> area for the Pivot table.
>

> "Jim~C" <jdchanATnovusint.com> wrote in message
>> Deb,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> Hmm...I'm trying to create a reusable "template" for data analysis of
>> this
>> data from a database. So, adding an adjacent column seems dangerous for
> two
>> reasons:
>>
>>     - The calculations would use GETPIVOTDATA function which does not
>> fill
>> down correctly
>>     - What happens if the user rearranges the pivot table. Does this
> destroy
>> the adjacent column and it's data?
>>
>> It certainly helps to know that I'm barking up the wrong tree with trying
>> the calculated item. I'm scratching my head for a better approach...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jim
>>

>> "Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> > You could do the calculation in a column adjacent to the pivot table,
> but
>> > you won't be able to create a calculated field to do it in the pivot
>> > table.

> of

> from

>> > --
>> > Debra Dalgleish
>> > Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
>> > http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
Jim

Pivot Chart problems
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00B3_01C4E370.755D7D40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have two issues with pivot charts. 1) I create a pivot table and chart with VB. I want thick lines on the = chart, so I do as follows: For i =3D 1 To .SeriesCollection.Count .SeriesCollection(i).Select With Selection.Border .Weight =3D xlThick End With Next This works great. However, upon selecting a Page Field value from the =...

Problem with the reconnection of a mailbox to a different user
Hello everybody, I have a problem with the reconnection of a mailbox, when I try to reconnect it to a different user. This is the scenario: 1) User A has a mailbox, I disconnect it. 2) Creation of User B 3) Reconnection of mailbox of user A to user B (I have tried not only with recovery center, but also directly through mailbox list section) No errors appears during theese steps, but when I try to create a new profile in outlook (I have created it only in the server, this is a test server), I see that the mailbox of user B (or the user B?) has not found! If I try to use Outlook Web Access, ...

Help needed to run macro
Argh!!! I think I may have created a macro to resolve an earlier problem, but when I try to run it I get... 'Macros in this workbook are disabled because the security level is high, and the macros have not been digitally signed or verified. To run the macros, you can either have them signed or change your security level.' How can I get my macros to run on my machine, where they are created, without compromising security? I've found and run selfcert.exe but it hasn't made any difference. Do I need to do anything else to make this effective? I'm a novice at this so step ...

Problem sending e-mails with Outlook & SBC Yahoo DSL
I have been unable to fix a problem and am looking for help. I have Outlook 2000. I also have SBC Yahoo DSL. I have spent hours on the phone trying to fix this problem, reloaded my software, etc. I can recieve e-mail from the SBC Yahoo DSL server with my Outlook, but cannot send e- mails. The error message I get is 0x800ccc0f. I know this means the outgoing mail server does not recognize and log me in, but does anyone know a way to change this? SBC made sure my settings were correct, but the problem persists. They claim it is an Outlook problem, but it never happened with other ISP...

Delete a table using VBA
I have some code that opens a couple of make-table querys, and then executes some more code. I would like to insert the line 'DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "Table to Delete"' to delete those tables that are created, but it doesn't work. The tables don't delete. I'm assuming it has something to do with the loop, but I can't figure out where to put the deleteobject code to make it work. Here's the code that I have now: Private Sub btnEmailVolunteers_Click() DoCmd.OpenQuery "Community Project1" DoCmd.Close acQuery, "Community Projec...

2005 Update Retirement Account Problem
I am having the same problem as discussed in a post on 10/5. Has anyone else seen this or know of a solution? And btw, I am not running XP SP2, just a fully updated SP1 system. I tried everything I could find in the KB to no avail as well. I am getting really frustrated with how many bugs there are in 2005. I have used MS Money for years and have never had as many problems as I have with 2005. I can't believe that this product made it out to the public with as many problems as there are. Any comments would be appreciated. ...

Problem sending emails from Outlook Express Ver6 NEVER MIND!
I am trying to use Outlook Express Ver6 instead of Eudora. I can't seem to send e-mails from it. When I send a test to myself I get the error: The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was (MY ADDRESS) .. Subject 'TEST', Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Authentication Required', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78 Can anyone suggest what is wrong? Must be something...

Need Help With GP Item Pricing
GP ITEM PRICING I need to use “Bucket Pricing” for items in GP. For example below is the pricing schedule that I need to use. First 20 …………….$ 1.75 Next 280 ……………… 1.36 Next 700 ……………… 1.23 Next 2,000 ……………… 1.09 Over 3,000 ……………… .82 So if I had a Qty. of 350 it would be as follows 20 * 1.75 = 35 280 * 1.36 = 380.80 50 * 1.23 = 61.50 Total : $477.30 In GP I can only set it up to do a “Quantity Range” in the Item Price List Maintenance window. Problem is if I set it up that way and enter a quantity of 350 it will default to the $1.23 ...

Problems importing pst file...
One of the users in our office tried to open Outlook & recieved an error message that indicated that the pst was gone or corrupt. After running the Inbox repair tool to no avail, as well as picking up a copy of their pst from yesterday's backup, I'm still unable to do anything with it! When trying to import it, I get the message "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" & after hitting ok, I get a message that the file isn't a personal folders file! I have read several long-winded posts in other forums, which basically have given me no...

Problem of space between items in SMALLICON mode
Hi, I have problem with spacing between items in LVS_SMALLICON list mode. Some that have long text hide the others. Not when i'm changing mode, just when I change data in my list. I use SetWindowLong to change list mode, and tried list.Arrange, list.redraw and list.update functions with no success. Actually, list doesn't change space between items when I change data in my list. I browsed the group, and found some unanswered subject about the same problem, so if someone could help me it would be cool. TIA. Have you tried the CListCtrl::SetIconSpacing before CListCtrl::Arrange? Vict...

Syntax Error In ALTER TABLE Command
I would like to change the data type of a column of integers to date/time format. I'm using this command in a MS Access 2003 macro RunSQL -> ALTER TABLE ExpTable MODIFY Activation_DT DATETIME. I have chosen No for the Use Transaction parameter. I've "Googled" the Internet for a resolution, but am having some difficulties finding my way out of this error. Would anyone have a suggestion? Many thanks, Kenny Vick kenny_vick@playstation.sony.com In news:33C0F407-9BA8-4377-A9E8-D7AE76F96895@microsoft.com, Kenny Vick <Kenny Vick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:...

Outlook / Exchange 2003 user connection problem
Ok, we are doing our Outlook configuration in a two step process first we add the Computer to the domain ( not the user ). Then we configure Outlook with the exchange server and user information. All of our users are created and have a default password. Problem is that when we go to setup Outlook we are only able to setup 2 - 5 computers a day. After we get 2 - 5 setup, when we try to install/configue another Outlook client we receive a message that say Cannot connect to Exchange server or Exchange server does not exist. But if we wait a day and go back to setting up Outlook again we are ab...

Problem with a MIN function
Hi all Please can someone explain to me why this doesn't work: =MIN((A46:A52>0)*(A46:A52+B46:B52)) array-entered I've got dates in both ranges - and both ranges also contain blanks. I don't understand why this formula does not return what I want!! I'm trying to get the earliest date in A46:A52 where there is a blank in the corresponding cell in B46:B52. I've checked the formula (including the F9 option in the formula bar to view each part) and it's got me beat! -- Andy. Hi try the arraz formula =MIN(IF((A46:A52>0)*(B46:B52=""),A46:A52)) >---...

show duplicates of 2 tables
Hi, I have 2 table which have identical fields and I wish to create a table from the duplicates found. The wizard does the opposite it takes out the duplicates. How do I go about it? Cheers -- Paul Wilson On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:37:00 -0800, Paul Wilson <PaulWilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have 2 table which have identical fields and I wish to create a table from >the duplicates found. The wizard does the opposite it takes out the >duplicates. > >How do I go about it? > >Cheers Create a Query joining the tables on *all* the fields w...

How do I not show items in my address book
In Address book I like to make the following changes: I'm using Office Std Edition 2003, and I like not to show the fax numbers in the column, is there a way I can change the display? PeterM <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote: > In Address book I like to make the following changes: I'm using > Office Std Edition 2003, and I like not to show the fax numbers in > the column, is there a way I can change the display? There's a work-around. You can modify the FAX number entry in the contacts record so that Outlook doesn't recognize it as a phone number by putting &q...

Outlook2007 automation problem with ".Display"
I am using automation in a VB5 program to send Emails using Outlook2007. If I use the ".Send" mailitem the email is sent out Immediately. If I use the ".Display" mailitem in my program, after I look over the Email and then click the "Send" button on the Outlook display screen, the email is placed in my outbox but does not get sent out. I have to exit my program and then click "Outlook". When Outlook displays, I can see the Email in the Outbox which will then automatically go out (without me having to click send and receive). I want th...

Transfer Table Name?
RMS V 1.3.1006 What is the name for the Transfer (in/out) table within RMS? I need to get after some xfers inbound to a closed location whose database we do not have to flip to. I would like to get at these via HQ Admin and delete them for the location specific. Thanks everyone! -- Jocelyn Jocelyn, These are stored in the PurchaseOrder/PurchaseOrderEntry tables. - Evan Culver New West Technologies "jocelynp" <jocelynp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E904E333-83B4-4174-A2F4-F7D27530597D@microsoft.com... > RMS V 1.3.1006 > > What is the name ...

Calender Problem after Exchange Migration
Hi all, I've got a bit of a Exch Calendar problem. We recently migrated from Exch2000 Srv to Exch2003 Srv. We also changed domain names (AD and company) as well. Due to time constraints and other issues I won't go into, things were a little rushed and the way we did the migration was probably not by the MS rules. Basically we restored a backup of the mailboxes from the old Exch2000 server to the new Exch2003 server. This was done via Qinetix MB idata agent. We thought this would be quicker than exporting the mailbox's out as PST files and then importing them. This part app...

sharing an item across pages in word
i have a document in which i have the same table on 5 different places. so now if i have to update this table then i have to update it on 5 places. is there any solution so that if i update that table on one page, then all other tables will also get updated. See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> &...

Autonumber problem
Hi, I have a problem with autonumber field in my project: when I deleted some last records, it seems MS Access saved the last number of the autonumber. So when I added a new record, the number would be skipped from the previous record. I'd like the next record will be in order from the previous record in my outonumber field. Is anybody can tell me how to solve this problem?. Thanks... KT -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200707/1 If the value of the autonumber actually matters then you shouldn't be using atuonu...

Table's border thicknesses are inconsistent
I've made some tables using Excel. I then cut and past the selected cells into Powerpoint 97 slides. The tables look good except that the border thicknesses assigned for different cells don't reproduce consistently. In other words, some lines of the table that were created with the same thickness show different thickness on the final slide. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks in advance! John In article <#SzEuMgaKHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, MD John S. Ford wrote: > I've made some tables using Excel. I then cut and past the selected ce...

vlookup and Access Database Table
Can vlookup be used to get a result from an Access Database Table? Thanks. The vlookup function itself is an Excel function and as such can only retrieve data from an excel sheet. However you may be able to use the import external data menu option in the Data menu to retrieve your data from the access database, pull it into your excel workbook and then use the vlookup function. I never tried this myself, but maybe the idea can be applied. -- Jeroen van Nieuwkerk "finster26" wrote: > Can vlookup be used to get a result from an Access Database Table? > > Thanks....

Mac problems opening excel files when connected to two windows shares

How do I count unique items in a pivottable data field.
I have a pivottable and I am trying to setup a data field that will count unique values. ie. Listing customers as the row and setting up a field to count the number of sales people that sold to the customer. The base data has multiple rows identifying the customer, sale id, $ and sales person. If I have 100 rows with sales person A, B & C each selling multiple orders to several customers I want the field counter to tell me if 1,2 or 3 sales people sold to each customer. Not the most elegant answer, but I'd probably create my pivot with Customer in the row field, sales rep...

Cannot "Print Each Item On New Page"
When selecting "Memo Style" from the print styles dialouge the "Print each item on new page" is grayed out. I'm currently using Outlook 2003. Help! -ANDY ...