Picture behind text in Cells

Is there any way in which a picture can be sent behind the text in the
worksheet cells?

Or round the other way, is there any way to show the cells contents in
front of a picture?

Many thanks

Bezza

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Format\sheet\background
should do the trick

RES
0
RES
4/5/2005 12:22:06 PM
That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different
images that need to be displayed behind cells.

I need to use the cells so that the values displayed infront of the
different pictures can be used in forumula's.

Bezza

That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different
images that need to be displayed behind cells.

I need to use the cells so that the values displayed infront of the
different pictures can be used in forumula's.

Bezza

Pictures, except for watermarks, live in the drawing layer "in front of"
of the cells. You can adjust the transparency of the picture -
right-click the picture, choose Format Picture, and enter a large
percentage in the transparency textbox.

Note that the picture will still prevent selection of the cell with the
mouse, since it's still "in front of" the cell (assuming it covers it
completely). You can still use arrow keys, etc.

In article <1112700797.479298.285670@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Bezza" <adam_beresford@baa.com> wrote:

> Is there any way in which a picture can be sent behind the text in the
> worksheet cells?
>
> Or round the other way, is there any way to show the cells contents in
> front of a picture?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/5/2005 1:42:27 PM
Take a picture (camera tool) of the cell with the text and "develop" it on
top of the other picture.
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"Bezza" <adam_beresford@baa.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way in which a picture can be sent behind the text in the
> worksheet cells?
>
> Or round the other way, is there any way to show the cells contents in
> front of a picture?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Bezza

0
rumlas (268)
4/5/2005 5:27:30 PM
Hi Bezza

Take a textbox from the drawing toolbar and put it over the picture.
Select it. Enter =A1 in Excel's formula bar and the textbox will reflect the
content of cell A1 at all times.
Maybe format the box transparent background, no line, colored font, ...

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Bezza" <adam_beresford@baa.com> skrev i melding
> Is there any way in which a picture can be sent behind the text in the
> worksheet cells?
>
> Or round the other way, is there any way to show the cells contents in
> front of a picture?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Bezza

0
stf (176)
4/6/2005 9:50:19 AM
Thanks for all your replies, they are all valid answers, problem is
none of them can be used in formulas.

Essentially what I need to do is put some numbers in front of an image
and use the numbers in a formula.

I'm trying to use a spreadsheet to document all our computer cabinet
layouts, using images of the server and putting power and heat outputs
over the top. I then want to be able to total up the cabinet and
provide a sub-total. All these sub-totals can then be added together to
provide total figures for the data centre.

Bezza

Thanks for all your replies, they are all valid answers, problem is
none of them can be used in formulas.

Essentially what I need to do is put some numbers in front of an image
and use the numbers in a formula.

I'm trying to use a spreadsheet to document all our computer cabinet
layouts, using images of the server and putting power and heat outputs
over the top. I then want to be able to total up the cabinet and
provide a sub-total. All these sub-totals can then be added together to
provide total figures for the data centre.

Bezza

Can you put the pictures in one column and the numbers in the next(or
previous) column?

Bill

Thanks for all your replies, they are all valid answers, problem is
none of them can be used in formulas.

Essentially what I need to do is put some numbers in front of an image
and use the numbers in a formula.

I'm trying to use a spreadsheet to document all our computer cabinet
layouts, using images of the server and putting power and heat outputs
over the top. I then want to be able to total up the cabinet and
provide a sub-total. All these sub-totals can then be added together to
provide total figures for the data centre.

Bezza

0
bsharpe (111)
4/6/2005 4:51:08 PM
Maybe put the pictures in a Comment Box attached to each cell............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

<RES%nospam> wrote in message news:OTcjjvdOFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Format\sheet\background
> should do the trick
>
> RES

0
croberts (1377)

Insert Text and Send
I need a macro will insert specific text into the body of the replying email then send it. Any help is appriciated. Thanks ... Dave This example demonstrates how to change the Subject of a reply: http://www.vboffice.net/sample.html?mnu=2&smp=9&cmd=showitem&lang=en you can write your text into the Body or HTMLBody property. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Category Manager - Manage and share your categories: SAM - The Sending Account Manager: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?lang=en> Am Wed, 12 May 2010 13:42:01 -0700 schrieb ...

Capitalize the 1st letter of text entered in a cell
I frequently enter text into cells. Sometimes the text is entered in lower case letters. I want the 1st letter to be capitalized regardless of my entry. Are there any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Michael You can only do this with code. There is no formatting command that can be used. Right-click on the appropriate worksheet tab, choose View Code, and paste in the following code: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo ErrH: If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub End If If Not Application.Intersect(Target, _ Me.Range(&q...

RMS Item Picture format issues?!?
Hello, I've tried a number of jpg saves at various dimensions 300x300 pixels down to 100x100 pixels. Sizes from 50K down to 20K. However, the pictures still aren't visible within the "Special" Item Attribute picture window. If the picture doesn't show up there, it doesn't show up in my POS. The "stock" images provided by MS, with the storelogo.jpg and storelogo2.jpg work perfectly. I've even tried to save to the same dimensions and filesizes, and still no dice. Can someone please advise me as to the requirements of pictures to be implemented (and maxi...

Changing text size
Hi, We enter all our customers in our database in all caps (text) for the names, and addresses. But when you put in the zip code and the database auto finds the town and state it is put in upper, and lower case. Is there a way to change this default to all caps for the auto fill. I am experienced in editing xml. files ( just a note) Any help would be appreciated.....Dennis No, there's no way to change that in the front end, that's something that is happening at display time and is meant to make the data more readable. You could enter a suggestion on Customer Sou...

Pasting to Rows with with text only
How can I tell Excel to paste data in column A, but only to those row that contain data? I know there is a way, but how? Thanxs in advance... -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way: - copy and paste your data (including formulas) - select column A and hit F5 - choose 'Special' and check 'formulas' - hit 'DEL' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > How can I tell Excel to paste data in column A, but only to those rows > that contain data? I know there is a way, but how? > > Thanxs in advance.... > > > --- > Message ...

Count values in Cells Accross
I want to calculate the values in cell A1 across. Eg. Cell A1 has a value of 36. I want to calculate the values across in the 36 non blank cells located in the same worksheet. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Shari wrote: > I want to calculate the values in cell A1 across. > > Eg. Cell A1 has a value of 36. I want to calculate the values across > in the 36 non blank cells located in the same worksheet. > > Any help appreciated. > Thanks in advance ...

set all INCOMMING MESSAGES to open in Plain Text
I was wondering if there is a way to make all outlook messages open in plain text in outlook 2000 like you can in 2002 and 2003. thank you in advance There's nothing built into Outlook 2000 to do this, but you might want to install an add-in like Chilton Preview that will allow you to preview all messages in Plain Text. You can also use VBA code to force plain text. See http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/zaphtml.htm for more information. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve...

missing cell?
Hello! The other day my girlfriend had to do some excel stuff. Curiosity got the best of me and I had her explain what she was doing. Here is a simplified version of her ordeal: She had one hand written table with ~1000 rows and 2 columns: one for a code and one for a description. She also had a text file with ~16000 rows and 2 columns with the same codes and similar (but different wording) descriptions. She needed to produce one spread sheet with the ~1000 rows of the first spread sheet and 3 columns: the code and the 2 descriptions. After fat fingering a row of the hand written table she...

Start a file at a defaulted worksheet/cell?
Howdy, Having a few users to a file, can I have the file open to a default worksheet/cell as I have directions I want them to read before playing... Regards, Kevin Kevin, use something like this, put in thisworkbook code Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets("Sheet2").Select Range("C3").Select End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "...

Different Type of Picture in a Document
I have received a document that i have to work on that was compiled by various folks and I have no idea who did what. When I select pictures within the document, I have some pictures with the usual single border; circles at the corners, and squares at the edge. I have other pictures, that when selected, have a double border, that is turquoise. There are three dots in a row at the sides and three dots in a triangle at the corner. With this type of picture I cannot explicitly set the size or other options available with the type above. Does anyone know why some pictures would be ...

changing cell value depending on list selection
I have a long coloumn of data which is entered by selecting from a dro down list (data/validation/list)i want a numerical value to b associated with each value from the drop down list. I would also lik this value to be dependent on another value in another cell. ie: A B C one build 1 two three build 2 Coloumns A and B are drop down lists and C is a numerical value tha appears only when Build is in coloumn B and the value depends on wha is entered in coloumn A. Hope this isnt too confusing! Thanks Rober -- Message posted...

numbers as text
Using Excel 2007 I have entered a long numeric string (a bank account number) as text. The entire Excel worksheet is then saved as a .csv file. The file is closed. When the file is reopened, the long numeric string has been converted to a scientific format (1.45684E+11) which can be converted again to text but will not keep that format during the save process. The bank is requiring the file to be saved in .csv format, so I don't have the option of saving in Excel format. Any suggestions???? On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:03:38 -0600, "BK" <nospam@nospam.co...

Saving from Excel to text
I am trying to save an excel spreadsheet as a text (tab delimited) file but for some reason chracters are being replaced with a '?', does anyone know why? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tracey - How are you saving the file? Try highlighting the spreadsheet, copy, open Word, paste. Highlight the text in Word, go to Tools, Table, Convert Table to Text, and choose the Tab delimiter. HTH, Carole >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to save an excel spreadsheet as a text (tab >delimited) file but for some reason chracters are being >replaced with a ...

Rotating Text Boxes on a Chart
Excel won't let me rotate text boxes in my pie chart. When I go to do it the rotate buttons are greyed out. Also I can't figure out how to add text the curves with the outside of the pie chart. Please help! Thanx! Hi Jeff, You won't be able to rotate textboxes. If they are really data labels you can alter their alignment. But they won't curve. If you want text to wrap around the pie you could try using word art. Although a pie with more than a few slices will probably result in text not appearing next to the slice. Jeff wrote: > Excel won't let me rotate...

Lost Ability to Include Selected Text in Replies
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I no longer seem to be able to select some text in a message, and begin a reply to that message quoting only the selected text. Either in HTML or plain text, the selected text does not appear. I have tried all Preferences>Compose, Reply permutations. Either all of the in-coming message is included, or none is included. Does anyone have a similar issue? On 3/2/10 11:04 AM, AndyBobyarchick@officeformac.com wrote: > I no longer seem to be able to select some text in a message, and > begin a reply to ...

How can I undo text scaling in New mail window
I am using Outlook 2003, and when I try to compose a new mail the text that is displayed is HUGE. I want it as it used to be where the text is about size 10, unaffected by whether my mail-window is large or not. I have tried changing it to web layout, and this seems to do the trick, but that only works for one mail, and when I create a new one I have to do it all over again. There must be a way around this? Can anyone help? Stian ...

For Each cell In Selection.....
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002B_01CA80FF.54EDB200 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The selection contains 1 column The number of rows is variable If i want to execute the "For Each cell In Selection" command, but i = want the execute this for 1 row less than the actual selection...(the = last row is not to be executed) How do i do this ? Thanx, Luc ------=_NextPart_000_002B_01CA80FF.54EDB200 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" C...

Resize cells to be able to view
I have (1) cell per line that has a lot of extra data in it. Therefore because of this I can only view (2) rows on a page. There are 1,28 rows that I have to view and extract data from. For instance, the cel that I am concerned with has: Pentium 100MHz CPU with 16 MB RAM and 256 KB VRAM on a PCI and ISA Bus One Hard Drive 850 MB EIDE HD, No CD/DVD-ROM Drive, (1) 3.5'' Flopp Drive and No Free 3.5 Floppy Bays, Two Free 5.25 Floppy Bays, PS/ Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse, 1 Parallel Port and 2 Serial Ports, Sound Car Not Included, USB Ports Not Included, Modem of Unknown Speed Included 10B...

Cell Format Issue #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040909020107010208010705 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I need to create a cell format so that when numbers are typed they appear as # / #, with a slash extending from the upper right corner of the cell to the lower left corner. I need the numbers to appear left, slightly above the slash and right slightly below, sort of in a superscipt,subscript orientation. I do not want the data to appear as a fraction. I tried experimenting with custom formats, to numerous to l...

cell format #6
Hi, I have to convert the cell format from .123 to 0,123, how does it work?! thanx! Paul Which version of Excel? With 2002 or 2003 under Tools>Options>International you can change the decimal separator to a comma. Earlier versions would require you change your decimal separator in Windows Regional and Language Options. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:58:55 +0100, Paul <taubenvergifter@saeuferleber.de> wrote: >Hi, >I have to convert the cell format from .123 to 0,123, how does it work?! >thanx! Hi Gordon, thank you very much! Gord Dibben schrieb: &g...

Filling cells with Serial Port Data
Hi All Anyone know how I would go about filling Excel spreadsheet cells with data from the serial port? Thanks "Funster" <fun.ster@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:z%oWb.9627$q%6.2970724@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net: > Anyone know how I would go about filling Excel spreadsheet cells with > data from the serial port? probably one of the first results on http://www.google.com/search?q=excel+data+acquisition will tell you what you want -- My email address has an extra @ (spell it out) and an extra invalid. Please remove them if you are not a spammer or list broker and ...

How to copy block of cells and keep grouping?
I have about a 150 by 30 block of cells. About every 5 cells are grouped together, making it significantly smaller. when you click the "-" to have them contract. I will take me days to go through and make all the groups again if I want to make the same block on the same worksheet. Is there a way to copy a block of cells and include the grouping? Thanks -- dstock ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dstock's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24225 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthre...

is it possible to show a cell value using IF(AND function
I would like to show the value of Cell A1 in Cell A3 , what do I need to replace "=A1" portion of formula The cell format is set for numbers and there is also some conditional formating Formula contained in cell A3 =IF(AND(A1>0.1,A1<99),"=A1","") Displays Result as =A1 Thanks in advance all assistance or guidance greatly appreciated. Hi Almost there!! Just replace the "=A1" with A1 =IF(AND(A1>0.1,A1<99),A1,"") -- Regards Roger Govier "FennisDuck" <Fennis@Menace.AOL.com> wrote in message news:%...

Run Macro button after info is entered in a cell
I want users to enter data in I3 then be able to click a "find" button which will run the macro below, but the macro won't work because excel is waiting for the user to click "enter" or "tab" after entering data in I3. How can I make the macro work? Range("J3").Select Rows("4:5").Select Selection.EntireRow.Hidden = False Range("I3").Select Until you finish inputting the command into I3, XL won't do any macros. Is there some significant reason why the user can't hit "enter", "tab...

Is there a way to "glue" a matrix rectangle of cells together?
The cells would only be moved as a group, but could be detached from each other at some point. Dshope - One way: First select the rectangular range of cells. Then move the cursor near an edge of the selection. When the cursor turns into a four-arrow shape, click and drag the entire range to a new location. - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com "Dshope" <Dshope@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94B03F9D-84F2-44E3-8DE7-5A5992C6EEAD@microsoft.com... > The cells would only be moved as a group, but could be detached from each > other at s...