Performing multiple Find/Replaces All At Once?

Hello, regarding my issue here is a very brief summary. I have a
database that stores "country of origin" quantitatively based on a
standardized document called the Huridocs. When I run data queries for
reports I need to present this quantitative data in standard text form
(i.e. "1234" coding must become "China"). As a result, I must go
through manually doing a "Replace" for each country code to its text
equivalent so that my supervisor can do write up's for grants based on
the data.

What I wanted to know was if it is possible to have a pre-set "Replace"
command where I enter in ahead of time all of the quantitative country
codes as the variable to "find" and their corresponding country text's,
as the variable to "replace" the codes with. then instead of replacing
the codes one-by-one I could just run this single command that goes
through the spreadsheet and automatically replaces all of them.

Sorry if my lingo is off, but I work for a non-profit and im a
self-taught database manager, so i've learned by doing,
trial-and-error. I appreciate any assistance.

Regards

Darren :)

--
dbedro
dbedro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32187

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Darren

On another sheet say Sheet2, set up 2 columns of data. Column A the
codes - 1234 etc, and in column B alongside, their Text equivalent -
China.
On your main sheet, supposing the numbers are in column C, then in
column D enter
=VLOOKUP(--C1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$!00,2,0)
and copy down the sheet as far as necessary.Change the range to suit.
The double unary minus in front of C1 is to convert any text entries of
1234 to numeric, assuming that you have set up numeric's in column A of
Sheet2.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"dbedro" <dbedro.2496hm_1141656900.704@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:dbedro.2496hm_1141656900.704@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hello, regarding my issue here is a very brief summary. I have a
> database that stores "country of origin" quantitatively based on a
> standardized document called the Huridocs. When I run data queries for
> reports I need to present this quantitative data in standard text form
> (i.e. "1234" coding must become "China"). As a result, I must go
> through manually doing a "Replace" for each country code to its text
> equivalent so that my supervisor can do write up's for grants based on
> the data.
>
> What I wanted to know was if it is possible to have a pre-set
> "Replace"
> command where I enter in ahead of time all of the quantitative country
> codes as the variable to "find" and their corresponding country
> text's,
> as the variable to "replace" the codes with. then instead of replacing
> the codes one-by-one I could just run this single command that goes
> through the spreadsheet and automatically replaces all of them.
>
> Sorry if my lingo is off, but I work for a non-profit and im a
> self-taught database manager, so i've learned by doing,
> trial-and-error. I appreciate any assistance.
>
> Regards
>
> Darren :)
>

> --
> dbedro
> dbedro's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32187
> View this thread:

roger5293 (1125)
3/6/2006 3:30:49 PM
Robert

I tried it as your directions indicated and it did not work. Within the
same workbook, I added a second spreadsheet named "Sheet2" and attempted
to follow your directions

The only part I was confused about was the "Range" portion of your
response. Everything else i did as close to verbatim to your directions
as was possible. Any chance you could email me a spreadsheet with this
already done to it so I could see it? I learn well when I can take
something apart and put it back together. if not any other help you
could offer would be appreciated. Ill keep trying to get it to work on
my end.

--
dbedro
dbedro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32187
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=519327

Merging multiple Org Charts
First time Visio user. I have two visio org charts and I have to merge them into one, can someone tell me how to do this? thanks. ...

Converting multiple worksheet to a single page worksheet
Is there a simple way to convert a multiple worksheet (with different format pages) to a single page worksheet with all different pages appended together? ...

performances
performances Hi, I am writing c++ application in vc++ 6 the application use a lot of cpu processing (math calculations), I am running the application on Win-XP, p-4 2.8 HT! What is the best way to compile my application so it will run faster? What are the best ways to write or build my application for faster running? What i the different betwine processor type Blend* inn the C/C++ tab of the project setting and the other option??? Thanks! "Dave" <dbg@012.net.il> wrote in message news:eY8jUE38EHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > performances > > Hi, > I am wr...

Excel Data Consolidation ; Multiple workbooks
I understand how to use data consolidate on multiple worksheets in a single workbook. My case is multiple workbooks, each with a "roll up" of data using data consolidation. I am trying to consolidate the roll ups from the multiple workbooks into a Grand Roll up and having a bear of a time making it pull together. Help! Thanks. A Data Consolidate will work with multiple workbooks. It's just a matter of adding the right reference, e.g.: [SrcBook.xls]Sheet2!$B$2:$D$12 What's your specific problem? -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Multiple Records in Tables
I have four tables that each contain a unique account number for a customer and a service rendered. I want to be able to query out the various combinations of who had what done. Example one table has an account # and tire rotation. The next table has account # and oil change. The next tune-up and the next air filter. I would like to query who had just a tire rotation, who had a tire rotation and oil change, who had a oil change and air filter and so forth. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance. Tim What would you do? Same. It goes to Ungratefuls. ...

Multiple Emails using outllok 2003
AFter installing all updates and security features, I find with just a few specific emails ID's I use, I get 2-3 emails that are duplicates of each other. I tried deleting then re-creating the emails ID"s in outlook, but I still get multiple emails from one person who sent only one email. Yet just a few ID's will display copies of the origignal. Anyone help? Thanks, Greg Do you have Norton or McAfee installed scanning your incoming and outgoing mail? If yes, try turning it off and see if it improves. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to...

Replace blank fields with 0
I have some blank spaces in the report. I would like to fill these blanks with a 0. This is like replacing blank fields with a 0. I have tried using Null functions and etc... but is not working properly. I would appreciate if anyone can help me out. Thanks in advance. Mahadevan Swamy From a user standpoint, it isn't clear whether a "blank" field contains a Null or contains a zero-length string. But if there really isn't anything in the field, why put a zero (0) there? In some contexts, zero actually means something... Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP &l...

vba macro to perform custom reporting -transpose from rows to columns
I have one workbook and two sheets 1 sheet has data for automated test scenarios that may be run up to 3 time if they don't pass on the first or second try Sheet1: TestSet Test Result reason if failed 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail x 4 fail y 4 fail z I want to create a summary report that looks like Sheet2 for the Sheet1 logs above test run1 result test run2 result test run 3result Sheet2 Testset result1 result2 result3 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail fail fail So if a testset is executed more ...

same data multiple worksheets
I need to be able to have agencies type in a Consumer name and Agency name, and have the data automatically fill in on the next page of the worksheet same place for both. Please help, and explain so I can understand, I am not an expert in Excel, or computer talk... ...

Countif Formula w/ Multiple Conditions
Can someone please help me? I am trying to create a formula in Excel that will count the number of rows that contain specific information in 2 columns. More specifically, if column A:A is titled Regions and K:K is titled Metric Met, I want to know how many times for the Region Australia, Metric Met=Yes. Please let me know. Any information will help. Thanks, Denise --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Denis, you can use the function SUMPRODUCT. Example =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A9999="Australia")*(K1:K9999=Yes)) Also some links http://www.cpearson.com/excel/array.h...

KB for Performance Optimizer trouble
In the process of moving EDB files from a crashed server to a new server built with same name, etc, but different platform (from NT to W2K Sp4) I found the Performance Optimizer would not allow me to move files to different volumes. A quick google search showed because of SP4 I needed to contact Microsoft for the patch but when I called they said I needed the KB article and I searched and searched and even none of the 'MVP' replies saying 'contact microsoft' had the KB number. After having the MS rep hold the line while I was scouring google and retrying the process to get the ...

AutoUpdate not finding updates
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm setting up a brand new MacBook Pro that's running 10.5.8. I installed Office 2008 from the disc and ran AutoUpdate from the installation wizard. It checks and comes back that there are no updates. The disc I have only has 12.0.0 versions of all the apps, so there are at least 3 updates it should find. What gives? I've checked permissions already. I've rebooted several times. Why would AutoUpdate not work on a brand new computer with a first-time install? Quite possibly because AutoUpdate, itself, ne...

Replacing a node
Hi all: Is there a way to replace a node and it's children? I tried using the ReplaceChild method but that seems to only replace the first child only!! Thanks Ed;; Ed A wrote: > Is there a way to replace a node and it's children? I tried using the > ReplaceChild method but that seems to only replace the first child only!! node.ParentNode.ReplaceChild(newNode, node) will replace node with newNode. If you still have problems then provide more details on what you have tried. -- Martin Honnen --- MVP XML http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ This is what I've tried: M...

Business Contact Manager, performance sacrifices?
I'm hoping we can all learn a little about Business Contact Manager... After some initial difficulties that were resolved by 1.5 hours with Microsoft and some great ideas from Patricia Cardoza's new book, I've got Business Contact Manager running smoothly. That's a good thing because I provide support and training in Outlook to clients and want to be able to recommend this new add-on. But is it ready to recommend? Here are two things that seriously bother me: my contacts take so much longer to load and sort. Searching from the "Find a Contact" box formerly t...

Find all messages in IS sent to person
Is there a way I can extract all the messages from all the users sent to a single person? Duplicates are OK if I have no choice. I had a crash where one of my stores could not be recovered because it was a test setup and it was not included in the backup stategy. The person was the only one in the store and they only recieved email from other users an none outside. I figure that if I can just export all the users sent mail that was sent to this person and to the "All" group that would completely restore this persons mail. I know I can just link up to everyone's one by ...

Multiple Worksheets #2
Hi Anyone out there who can tell me an easy way to export Excel data in multiple worksheets? I have a workbook with about 80 worksheets that are identical informat. I am trying to export the data to Access or move the data to a single worksheet in Excel. Any tips? Sources of info? Help files? I can't find anything on the subject. And thank you for your support. JMcG Hi John For a single worksheet try this http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy2.htm For Access look here http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?t=envbadac -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "John M...

can i do multiple plots on 3d chart?
I have various data sets that I want to plot on a single 3D chart to compare peak responses. Is this possible in excel? What kind of 3D chart? Can you use the corresponding 2D chart type? In general, you are better off not using any 3D charts, and especially not Excel's 3D charts, which mostly consist of 2D data with a fake third dimension. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "mrplec" <mrplec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98A0BF60-D8A6-49FD-A405-B...

COUNTIF with multiple disjoint ranges, same criteria
Is there any way to specify multiple disjoint ranges in one COUNTIF? I.e. something like COUNTIF((A1:C3,D4:F6,G7:I9),"Y") I want to avoid COUNTIF(A1:C3,"Y") + COUNTIF(D4:F6,"Y") + ... -- � 2005 Kurt Swanson AB This formula works as long as it is not located within A1:I9 =SUMPRODUCT(--((A1:C3:D4:F6:G7:I9)="Y")) Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "Kurt Swanson" wrote: > Is there any way to specify multiple disjoint ranges in one COUNTIF? > > I.e. something like COUNTIF((A1:C3,D4:F6,G7:I9),"Y"...

Perform function...if?
Hi I have a workbook that I'm continually adding data to daily. and I also have another workbook that I want to perform calculations, but I only want the calculations performed IF there is data in the first workbook... Here are the two formulas the way they are now... ='Stock Return Data'!J24*0.25 ='Stock Return Data'!J24-'Tax Data'!A14 How can I tell both these functions, to only perform if there is data on the original worksheet? Thanks, Confused Man Hi try =IF('Stock Return Data'!J24<>"",'Stock Return Data'!J24*0.25,"&...

Where can I find a Windows 7 newsgroup?
Sorry to post this here, but when I search the news.eternal-september.org for '7' (no quotes) I don't find anything. Nor when I search for "windows" TIA LAS alt.windows7.general Make sure you signed up with Eternal September correctly, or you will only see a small percentage of the available newsgroups. Also, right click on the newsgroup list and Reset it. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "LAS" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:i3fttq$7vd$1@news.eternal-september.org....

Finding deleted contacts
My palm pilot sync process appears to have deleted all my mailing groups from "contacts" Where can I find them? Deleted Items folder? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, singapore tom asked: | My palm pilot sync process appears to have deleted all my mailing | groups from "contacts" | Where can I find them? I have just remembered I made a back up!!! Wond...

can multiple threads calling the same dll at the same time?
can multiple threads calling the same dll at the same time? Is it thread safe? >can multiple threads calling the same dll at the same time? Sure. >Is it thread safe? It depends if the code you're calling in the DLL is. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq ...

E2K3 Performance
My E2K3 server is having an occasional lag time in processing and would like some ideas on where to look at improving performance. 2.4 Xeon processor 1.3 Gb RAM Lot's of disk space Page Files are c: 1920 - 4096 and d: the same (seems incorrect, maybe should be static value?) When checking the running system, CPU is at 4% and pagefile is at 1.64 Gb. It's a low use server, less than 100 mailboxes and a backend to OWA out front. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks. ...

Multiple IE windows
Hi, I am running Outlook 2002 with SP3, and each time I click on a URL embedded in an email, I get two browser windows opening, both loading the link I clicked on. How can I fix this? Thanks ...

Fidelity Investments & NetBenefits
we have regular joint brokerage account with linked to my netbenefits account. my wife's netbenefits cannot be linked to this brokerage account (do not ask me why but that's what fidelity tells me). i've setup Money online services for brokerage and my netbenefits. but, i'm unable to access my wife's netbenefits account via Money's online setup. it complains about account not found. is there a way to directly access netbenefits accounts without doing thru fidelity investment financial institution? thanks a lot hitesh In microsoft.public.money, Hitesh Patel w...