Parsing Text When Only One Character Can Be Used To Search

Hello:
I've spent a couple of hours looking on this site, and have found some
excellent new tips, but still need to ask for assistance.  I have a series of
text rows containing one string that I need to parse.  There are no
characters I can use as delimeters (inconsistent), and there is no consistent
use of text qualifiers; it's in effect, free form text.  Here's a sample
record
FROM per_requisitions_v@appslink req2, per_vacancies@appslink vac2,
What I need to pull from this string is
per_requisitions_v@appslink

AND

per_vacancies@appslin
The only character I can use is the @ symbol; it's what tells me that a
record should be reviewed and contains the desired data.  But I need the text
before and after this character.  Standard worksheet functions SEARCH and
FIND do not accept a negative start_num value; they won't search and retreive
in reverse.  I would greatly appreciate suggestions for pulling this data;
there are thousands of rows, even when I isolate those containing the desired
data.  Some of the rows have multiple occurences, and all have much
extraneous data I want to remove.

Thank you for your help,

LHSallwasser
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi!

I notice that each substring starts with "per". Is that a constant?

There's also "req2" and "vac2" after each substring. Is that a constant?

What about the "appslink" after each <at> sign. Are those constants?

How about posting several samples so we can see if we find a pattern.

Biff

"LHSallwasser" <LHSallwasser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
> I've spent a couple of hours looking on this site, and have found some
> excellent new tips, but still need to ask for assistance.  I have a series
> of
> text rows containing one string that I need to parse.  There are no
> characters I can use as delimeters (inconsistent), and there is no
> consistent
> use of text qualifiers; it's in effect, free form text.  Here's a sample
> record:
> FROM per_requisitions_v@appslink req2, per_vacancies@appslink vac2,
> What I need to pull from this string is:
> per_requisitions_v@appslink
>
> AND
>
> per_vacancies@appslink
> The only character I can use is the @ symbol; it's what tells me that a
> record should be reviewed and contains the desired data.  But I need the
> text
> before and after this character.  Standard worksheet functions SEARCH and
> FIND do not accept a negative start_num value; they won't search and
> retreive
> in reverse.  I would greatly appreciate suggestions for pulling this data;
> there are thousands of rows, even when I isolate those containing the
> desired
> data.  Some of the rows have multiple occurences, and all have much
> extraneous data I want to remove.
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> LHSallwasser

0
biffinpitt (3172)
2/10/2006 6:41:47 AM
One way is to use a UserDefinedFunction.

If you want to try...

Option Explicit
Function ExtractAddr(iStr As String) As Variant

    Dim iCtr As Long
    Dim aCtr As Long
    Dim mySplit As Variant
    Dim myArr() As Variant

    With Application
        iStr = .Trim(.Substitute(iStr, ",", " "))
    End With
    mySplit = Split97(iStr, " ")
    aCtr = 0
    For iCtr = LBound(mySplit) To UBound(mySplit)
        If InStr(1, mySplit(iCtr), "@", vbTextCompare) Then
            aCtr = aCtr + 1
            ReDim Preserve myArr(1 To aCtr)
            myArr(aCtr) = mySplit(iCtr)
        End If
    Next iCtr

    If aCtr = 0 Then
        ExtractAddr = ""
    ElseIf Application.Caller.Rows.Count = 1 Then
        ExtractAddr = myArr
    Else
        ExtractAddr = Application.Transpose(myArr)
    End If

End Function
Function Split97(sStr As String, sdelim As String) As Variant
'from Tom Ogilvy
Split97 = Evaluate("{""" & _
  Application.Substitute(sStr, sdelim, """,""") & """}")
End Function

This goes in a general module.

Then you can use it like:

Selecting as many cells (in a row or in a column) that you think you need:

then type:
=extractaddr(A1)

but hit ctrl-shift-enter to fill that selection with this array formula.

If you selected too many cells, you'll get #n/a's back at the end.

--

Dave Peterson
0

=MID(A1,FIND("per_requisitions_v@",A1,1),LEN(A1)-FIND("req2",A1,1)-6)

=MID(A1,FIND("req2",A1,1)+6,LEN(A1)-FIND("req2",A1,1)-11)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"LHSallwasser" wrote:

> Hello:
> I've spent a couple of hours looking on this site, and have found some
> excellent new tips, but still need to ask for assistance.  I have a series of
> text rows containing one string that I need to parse.  There are no
> characters I can use as delimeters (inconsistent), and there is no consistent
> use of text qualifiers; it's in effect, free form text.  Here's a sample
> record:
> FROM per_requisitions_v@appslink req2, per_vacancies@appslink vac2,
> What I need to pull from this string is:
> per_requisitions_v@appslink
>
> AND
>
> per_vacancies@appslink
> The only character I can use is the @ symbol; it's what tells me that a
> record should be reviewed and contains the desired data.  But I need the text
> before and after this character.  Standard worksheet functions SEARCH and
> FIND do not accept a negative start_num value; they won't search and retreive
> in reverse.  I would greatly appreciate suggestions for pulling this data;
> there are thousands of rows, even when I isolate those containing the desired
> data.  Some of the rows have multiple occurences, and all have much
> extraneous data I want to remove.
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> LHSallwasser
0
CLR (807)
2/10/2006 12:48:27 PM
Hello:
Thank you Biff and Chuck for your replies; the problem is that there is no
pattern before the @ symbol in the data, so I could not use your suggestions
or the seeded Excel functions.

Dave - thank you so much for the user defined function!  It's exactly what I
needed and works to extract the "before@after" string from the mess of
PL/SQL.  I've been reading through David McRitchie's Excel page, and used his
CountOccurrences function.  It's great that you and other gurus take the time
to help the not-so-gifted rest of us.

Best regards,

LHollister Sallwasser

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> [...]
> > What I need to pull from this string is:
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > per_requisitions_v@appslink
> >
> > AND
> >
> > per_vacancies@appslink
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > The only character I can use is the @ symbol; it's what tells me that a
> > record should be reviewed and contains the desired data.  But I need the text
> > before and after this character.  Standard worksheet functions SEARCH and
> > FIND do not accept a negative start_num value; they won't search and retreive
> > in reverse.  I would greatly appreciate suggestions for pulling this data;
> > there are thousands of rows, even when I isolate those containing the desired
> > data.  Some of the rows have multiple occurences, and all have much

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:28:27 -0800, LHSallwasser
<LHSallwasser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello:
>I've spent a couple of hours looking on this site, and have found some
>excellent new tips, but still need to ask for assistance.  I have a series of
>text rows containing one string that I need to parse.  There are no
>characters I can use as delimeters (inconsistent), and there is no consistent
>use of text qualifiers; it's in effect, free form text.  Here's a sample
>record:
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>FROM per_requisitions_v@appslink req2, per_vacancies@appslink vac2,
>What I need to pull from this string is:
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>per_requisitions_v@appslink
>
>AND
>
>per_vacancies@appslink
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>The only character I can use is the @ symbol; it's what tells me that a
>record should be reviewed and contains the desired data.  But I need the text
>before and after this character.  Standard worksheet functions SEARCH and
>FIND do not accept a negative start_num value; they won't search and retreive
>in reverse.  I would greatly appreciate suggestions for pulling this data;
>there are thousands of rows, even when I isolate those containing the desired
>data.  Some of the rows have multiple occurences, and all have much
>extraneous data I want to remove.
>
>Thank you for your help,
>
>LHSallwasser

Simple with regular expressions.

What you apparently want is the word (with underscores) preceding the '@' and
the word following it.

If you download and install Longre's free morefunc.xll add-in from
http://xcell05.free.fr/

then the expression:

=REGEX.MID(A1,"\S+@\w+",1)

will pull out the first

and

=REGEX.MID(A1,"\S+@\w+",2)

will pull out the second.

Note that the @ character is causing the regex in the above formulas to be
underlined.  That should not really happen in Excel.
--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
2/10/2006 8:20:38 PM
Hello

i have a question along the same lines and so i was hoping that posting in
this thread would be ok.

i have a refreshable web query where there are lines of text like this:

Hitachi Deskstar 180GXP 80GB IDE ATA100 7200RPM 2MB 8.8MS Hard Drive 3 Year
MFR Warranty

what i would like to know how to do is get the 80GB out of that test and all
the GB amounts out of the other lines with a formula.

what i am trying to do is create a way for me to see what drive is the best
for the price and i need to get to a numerical value to calculate on.

so first i would have to pull the text for 80GB. then turn it in to a
numerical value. if that takes 2 columns on my sheet that is ok, but the
first part absolutely stumps me.

if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

"LHSallwasser" wrote:

> Hello:
> I've spent a couple of hours looking on this site, and have found some
> excellent new tips, but still need to ask for assistance.  I have a series of
> text rows containing one string that I need to parse.  There are no
> characters I can use as delimeters (inconsistent), and there is no consistent
> use of text qualifiers; it's in effect, free form text.  Here's a sample
> record:
> FROM per_requisitions_v@appslink req2, per_vacancies@appslink vac2,
> What I need to pull from this string is:
> per_requisitions_v@appslink
>
> AND
>
> per_vacancies@appslink
> The only character I can use is the @ symbol; it's what tells me that a
> record should be reviewed and contains the desired data.  But I need the text
> before and after this character.  Standard worksheet functions SEARCH and
> FIND do not accept a negative start_num value; they won't search and retreive
> in reverse.  I would greatly appreciate suggestions for pulling this data;
> there are thousands of rows, even when I isolate those containing the desired
> data.  Some of the rows have multiple occurences, and all have much
> extraneous data I want to remove.
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> LHSallwasser
This is what I came up with...

For text in A1
B1:
=RIGHT(LEFT(A1,FIND("GB",A1)+1),LEN(LEFT(A1,FIND("GB",A1)+1))-LOOKUP(LEN(LEFT(A1,FIND("GB",A1)+1)),FIND("
",LEFT(A1,FIND("GB",A1)+1),ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1,1):INDEX($A:$A,LEN(LEFT(A1,FIND("GB",A1)+1)),1)))))

Using your sample text
A1: Hitachi Deskstar 180GXP 80GB IDE ATA100 7200RPM 2MB 8.8MS Hard Drive 3
Year MFR Warranty

That formula returns "80GB" in B1

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"DawnTreader" wrote:

> Hello
>
> i have a question along the same lines and so i was hoping that posting in
> this thread would be ok.
>
> i have a refreshable web query where there are lines of text like this:
>
> Hitachi Deskstar 180GXP 80GB IDE ATA100 7200RPM 2MB 8.8MS Hard Drive 3 Year
> MFR Warranty
>
> what i would like to know how to do is get the 80GB out of that test and all
> the GB amounts out of the other lines with a formula.
>
> what i am trying to do is create a way for me to see what drive is the best
> for the price and i need to get to a numerical value to calculate on.
>
> so first i would have to pull the text for 80GB. then turn it in to a
> numerical value. if that takes 2 columns on my sheet that is ok, but the
> first part absolutely stumps me.
>
> if anyone can help it would be appreciated.
>
> "LHSallwasser" wrote:
>
> > Hello:
> > I've spent a couple of hours looking on this site, and have found some
> > excellent new tips, but still need to ask for assistance.  I have a series of
> > text rows containing one string that I need to parse.  There are no
> > characters I can use as delimeters (inconsistent), and there is no consistent
> > use of text qualifiers; it's in effect, free form text.  Here's a sample
> > record:
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > FROM per_requisitions_v@appslink req2, per_vacancies@appslink vac2,
> > What I need to pull from this string is:
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > per_requisitions_v@appslink
> >
> > AND
> >
> > per_vacancies@appslink
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > The only character I can use is the @ symbol; it's what tells me that a
> > record should be reviewed and contains the desired data.  But I need the text
> > before and after this character.  Standard worksheet functions SEARCH and
> > FIND do not accept a negative start_num value; they won't search and retreive
> > in reverse.  I would greatly appreciate suggestions for pulling this data;
> > there are thousands of rows, even when I isolate those containing the desired
> > data.  Some of the rows have multiple occurences, and all have much
> > extraneous data I want to remove.
> >
> > Thank you for your help,
> >
> > LHSallwasser
Hello

WOW. thanks. it works great. i am going to have to study it a little bit to
fully understand it, but it works great.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

> [...]
> > > What I need to pull from this string is:
> > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > per_requisitions_v@appslink
> > >
> > > AND
> > >
> > > per_vacancies@appslink
> > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > The only character I can use is the @ symbol; it's what tells me that a
> > > record should be reviewed and contains the desired data.  But I need the text
> > > before and after this character.  Standard worksheet functions SEARCH and
> > > FIND do not accept a negative start_num value; they won't search and retreive
> > > in reverse.  I would greatly appreciate suggestions for pulling this data;
> > > there are thousands of rows, even when I isolate those containing the desired
> > > data.  Some of the rows have multiple occurences, and all have much

Restore ability to enter 20 character PO Numbers
With the 1.3R release, RMS will not allow PO Numbers longer than 14 characters. Before the 1.3R release, RMS allowed PO Numbers up to 20 characters. After installing the 1.3R release I reported this defect. The support team responded that this change was by design. They claimed that the change was made to work around a defect - "we had a bug with inter-store inventory transfers erroring out when the PO number is greater than 14 characters". This type of quick and easy fix (crippling the UI to work around a defect) is just plain wrong for at least a couple of reasons. 1) C...

Multiple hyperlinks in one cell
Hey, I'm stuck with an excel problem which I cannot solve. I want to pu different messages in one cell and add a hyperlink to some of thes messages. For example I want to put this information all into one cell "message1 - message2(with hyperlink) - message3(with hyperlink) message4" I really hope it is possible to create multiple hyperlinks within on cell, but for now I can only add a hyperlink to a cell. If you would know how I could fix this issue I would be reall gratefull. Thx in advance, Veroniqu -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If it's really...

can't send anything in Outlook 2002

using GP with Cognos
Is it possible to map GP to a reporting tool like Cognos? If so, what would be the easiest way to decipher to the data tables? Thanks for your help. The first thing is to install the SDK from the second CD. You need to explore the disc and look for the tools folder then the SDK folder. When you install the SDK, you will get a new item in your Dynamics program group. You will have access to documentation on data flow. Additionally, within GP you have the resource descriptions off the Tools menu. Richard Whaley has books that can help you, as well. Go to www.accoladespublications....

How can I drop a flyer from Publisher into PowerPoint as a slide?
I have created a flyer in Publisher but I now need to drop it into PowerPoint as a slide, is this possible? No, not really. You could open up both instances, Powerpoint and Publisher, and then drag and drop/copy and paste from the Publisher window to the Powerpoint window, the reformat as needed. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "melann" <melann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58EE1229-ED29-4A5F-B4D6-BDE863876DB0@microsoft.com... &...

Wrapping clipart around text
When i word i can wrap my text around my pictures is there any way of doing the same in Publisher 2000. -- Thank you for reading my post. Hopefully you can answer my querie On the toolbar there is a hand holding a script. This is the wrap tool. Select the object, select the tool. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Shazza" <shazzalowe@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message news:474A689F-DC18-4545-A73B-1E2CDDB34633@microsoft.com... > When i word i can wrap my text around my pictures is there any way of d...

Moving 5.5 server from one domain to another
Ex 5.5, sp4 on Win2000 sp4, Mcafee VScan8, Veritas 8.6 currently in NT4 domain. Have exactly the same config in another office except this Ex 5.5 server is the bridge end. Have gone through the process of changing service accounts and that is working fine and machine is using the new service accounts to run the services, (ie using the new service account in the Windows 2003 domain), when I drop out of "abc" domain and into "xyz" domain machine comes up fine, all services start but after about 60 secs the information store stops, if I try to start it manually I get er...

How can Journal be used if Project is not installed, or on the net
How can Journal be used if Project is not installed, or on the network -- Rusty Nichols Network Support Technician The Journal folder works without Project being installed at all. It's an integral part of Outlook. What functionality are you seeking? "Rusty" <w_r_nichols_iii@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7EA79673-AE35-44D2-A09E-EBF73E7EC414@microsoft.com... > How can Journal be used if Project is not installed, or on the network How can Journal potentially affect the Exchange server, and I would like more information on Journal for a Outlook foundation class? ...

How Can I Tell What Button Was Just Clicked?
I have a bunch of images on the sheet that calls ONE function. Is there a way I can tell which button was clicked within the function? I'd hate to make a function for each image. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ See one technique at your other thread. kenji4861 wrote: > > I have a bunch of images on the sheet that calls ONE function. > > Is there a way I can tell which button was clicked within the > function? > > I'd h...

How can I tell if our GP 9.0 is updated to the latest SP and patch
We recently upgraded our GP to 9.0, but I'm not sure we are at SP1 or the latest patches have been installed. Is there a way to tell from the versions numbers displayed in the "About Microsoft Dynamics GP" box? Or, maybe asked a different way, if at the latest updates, what should the Dexterity and GP 9.0 version numbers be at? hello, You know if it's Dynamics GP SP1 when you see that: Dynamics GP - 9.00.0259 Dexterity - 9.00.0068.0 rgds, timber On Oct 6, 6:35 am, dcnjoe60 <dcnjo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We recently upgraded our GP to 9.0, bu...

Multiple conditional formating for one cell
I have a workbook with several sheets. Sheet1 has several hundred rows of text. Some of the same text will appear in multiple rows of Sheet1. On Sheet2 I have I have a cell that allows my users to free hand type in a keyword(s) to search for in Sheet1. This cell is also has a reference name of "Special_Char". Now comes the question..... I like to for the user to type the keywork into "Special_Char" and any or all the rows in Sheet1 that contain the keyword as part of its text to turn yellow. Is there a way to do this? Please keep in mind that the keywork i...

Contact use?
I am studying at moment and would appreciate confirmation of below, company has an external consultant who has an internet mail address of Bill@isp.com , company wants to receive all mail addressed to him and do not publish his private internet mail address as they do not want customers to contact him directly, the solution suggested is below. create a mail-enabled contact object for Bill and specify two addresses, Bill@company.com "@company.com being organisation email address" and Bill@isp.com, for this contact. All messages that are addressed to Bill@company.com will fir...

Money 2002 Can't seem to download sucessfully
I have been trying for 10 days now to download banking info from my various accounts into Money 2002. Before it worked, now for some reason it is showing that it is downloading, but doesn't import into the Money program. What happened? I created a Passport to work online, but that is the only thing that has changed on my end. Can someone please help me!!?!?!?!??! >-----Original Message----- >I have been trying for 10 days now to download banking >info from my various accounts into Money 2002. Before it >worked, now for some reason it is showing that it is >dow...

Does anyone know where I can download EXCEL.MSI?
I am missing my Excel 2002 CD, and can't install Office Update Service Pack 3 without this file. ...

How can I instantly delete emails? I get a strikethrough + purge

To increase the upload file limit ONLY for one site collection
Hi, I have more than 1900 site collections on a web application. I know I can modify the upload file limit thru the CA or directly on the Web config file. However, I do not want to change the setting for all the site collections. I need to be able to change the setting only for a particular site collection. Is there anyway I can add manualy that entry in the web config file. Has anyone tried? Is this possible? Thanks in advance, Antonio ...

Add New Record Using Combo Box
I am using 2 different tables: Employee Info and Trip Details. I need to have a blank form open to enter new information, but I would like a combo box to choose the employees name, as there are over 300 employees. Ideally, the first name, last name, and DOB would be populated, but the rest of the information would still be blank to add new data. I could then just hit a button to open the form again to add information about a different employee. I am having a problem doing this and would greatly appreciate if someone could let me know how to accomplish this. Thanks. On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:26:03...

Can't do a @ in TO: section
Hi! My problem is simple, I cannot do a @ when im trying to put an email adress in the TO: section HELP please... Why? What happens when you try -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Nico" <Nico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:971A2D8D-FBD4-4F57-830B-567304F30A38@microsoft.com... > Hi! > > My problem is simple, I cannot do a @ when im trying to put an email adress > in the TO: section HELP please... ...

Workflow using Email Template is paused
I have created a work flow rule that sends an email using a template. However, it shows up as paused in the Workflow Monitor. When I create the same rule without the template and use Send Email then it works fine! Is ther an issue when using templates? -- Dave Hi Dave, Jut had a similar thing happen a few minutes ago in my testing of a Sales Process. It paused and hung because the contact did not have an e-mail address. We also discovered, which someone may be able to help answer, that the workflow monitor showed it paused but something appears to be wrong with the workflow moni...

We are using eSafe
We have an eSafe appliance by Aladin filtering spam and viruses in and out. It is doing a good job for my 4000 users. Convince the boss not to quarenteen messages. Their support was lacking when we first got the box but after a long conversation with a VP I think they have made great strides fixing that problem. Fred ...

Use Tax
Can someone tell me if Great Plains has the ability to add use tax to a invoice in payables management without adding it to the invoice amount. I have vendors who do not charge me sales tax and I want Great Plains to calculate that sales tax and not add it to the invoice amount. There is a simple workaround. Let GP calculate use tax using the Sales Tax field. Then put the amount of the sales tax in the trade discount field. This offsets the tax amount and doesn't change the voucher total. We do this for PO Invoices with use tax. The tax account is pointed to the appropriate expense...

How to obtain the name of ODBC definition used in a spreadsheet? #2
How do I get the name of the ODBC def used in my spreadsheet? How do I migrate my spreadsheet (with the ODBC connection) to a different computer and change the name of the ODBC def to a new name, available on the new computer? best regards evds@tekton-it.be ...

Checking for numeric characters / Regular expressions
I want to test if a character in a string is numeric or not. I think I need to use a regular expression to do this, but can't seem to get it to work. I know I have done something similar when I was replacing non-numeric characters in a phone number which does work (this was var sTmp = oField.DataValue.replace(/[^0-9]/g, "");). I now want to do an if statement to check if characters are not numeric. I have come up with something along these lines: if (oField.DataValue.substr(0,1) != [0-9]) { do something } else { do something else } I have tried a number of different ways o...

Convert Date to Text
I want to use a date field to produce an invoice number. Can anyone tell me how to enter a date in a date formatted field e.g. 31/12/06 and have "061231" appear in another cell, but formatted as text? (It needs to be text because my next stage will be to add the first three characters of the company name [concatenate], which I'm OK with. Thanks Jeff Jeff, try this: ="ABC"&TEXT(A1,"yymmdd") where your date is in cell A1 and your company initials are ABC - you could get these from another cell, eg B1, so the formula becomes: =B1&TEXT(A1,&qu...

"Delete and block" used by mistake, not able to un-do
- By mistake I clicked the "delete and block" button for a specific message. - The sender then ended up in the "block-list". - I removed the sender from the blocked list (and also added him to the allowed-list) - However, I still do not manage receive messages from the sender. - it seems like the sender has been permanently blocked no matter what I do. Any specific settings I am missing or misunderstanding? Many tnx in advance for any help! best regards -- //Micke Is this with a Hotmail account? Check via web mail for your Junk mail folder and filtering...