Page Numbers in Cells

This is what I am doing....

I have a monthly document (identical in appearance but not content) which 
can expand or shrink dependant on the number of items which are added to it. 
The top section is printed on each page and one of the cells needs to state 
the page number… ie Page 1 of 2 etc. 

Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the printed 
page number?

Dave
0
7/18/2005 10:43:01 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

17 Replies
981 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 16

Why not put the page number in the header or footer.   Got to Page Setup and 
the Header/Footer Tab.   Select the pull down menu for header or footer and 
page # is an option.

"DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:08DCFC3B-A680-454F-B7E0-303F8951D1EC@microsoft.com...
> This is what I am doing....
>
> I have a monthly document (identical in appearance but not content) which
> can expand or shrink dependant on the number of items which are added to 
> it.
> The top section is printed on each page and one of the cells needs to 
> state
> the page number. ie Page 1 of 2 etc.
>
> Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the printed
> page number?
>
> Dave 


0
reply6075 (299)
7/18/2005 10:57:25 AM
"=?Utf-8?B?REMgYXBwbGV5YXJkcw==?="
<DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
news:08DCFC3B-A680-454F-B7E0-303F8951D1EC@microsoft.com: 

> This is what I am doing....
> 
> I have a monthly document (identical in appearance but not content)
> which can expand or shrink dependant on the number of items which are
> added to it. The top section is printed on each page and one of the
> cells needs to state the page number… ie Page 1 of 2 etc. 
> 
> Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the
> printed page number?
> 
> Dave
> 

Why not in the header?

View/Header and Footer/Custom header
0
Dodo2u
7/18/2005 10:58:26 AM
I'm not sure my first message was sent.

Use Headers or Footers to do this.

File -> Page Setup -> Header/Footer
On the pull down menu, there are several page options.

"DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:08DCFC3B-A680-454F-B7E0-303F8951D1EC@microsoft.com...
> This is what I am doing....
>
> I have a monthly document (identical in appearance but not content) which
> can expand or shrink dependant on the number of items which are added to 
> it.
> The top section is printed on each page and one of the cells needs to 
> state
> the page number. ie Page 1 of 2 etc.
>
> Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the printed
> page number?
>
> Dave 


0
reply6075 (299)
7/18/2005 10:59:44 AM
Really needs to be on the document... is there any way of doing it?

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

> I'm not sure my first message was sent.
> 
> Use Headers or Footers to do this.
> 
> File -> Page Setup -> Header/Footer
> On the pull down menu, there are several page options.
> 
> "DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:08DCFC3B-A680-454F-B7E0-303F8951D1EC@microsoft.com...
> > This is what I am doing....
> >
> > I have a monthly document (identical in appearance but not content) which
> > can expand or shrink dependant on the number of items which are added to 
> > it.
> > The top section is printed on each page and one of the cells needs to 
> > state
> > the page number. ie Page 1 of 2 etc.
> >
> > Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the printed
> > page number?
> >
> > Dave 
> 
> 
> 
0
7/18/2005 11:42:02 AM
DC,

(1) It appears as though you've laid your sheet out with regard to the 
printed pages.  That is a lot of trouble.  If you haven't looked at the 
printing features in File - Page setup, you should first do that.  You can 
have headings, including automatic page numbers, column and/or row headings 
that automatically repeat across the pages, and other things.  Now you just 
maintain your worksheet as one continuous table, and let Page Setup add the 
page stuff for printing.

(2)  If you have to have the page numbers on the sheet, the next best 
solution would be for a macro, fired by the Before_Print event, to loop 
through the pages and put in the numbers into the cells where you want them. 
It would have to walk its way through the page breaks, a slow process (the 
last time I messed with it), as the PageBreak object is made of molasses. 
And kept cold.  If you're willing to put a macro in, along with its 
ramifications (the user gets the "This workbook contains macros..." message 
on opening), we'll write it for you.

(3)  Failing that, you'll need to put the page numbers in yourself, into 
cells.  you'll need to determine where the page breaks are, then use 
formulas for each page number.  You can use View - Page Break Preview to see 
that.  Then you could pick a cell in each page, and use a formula that 
refers to the prior page number cell. If the prior cell is A1, use:

=A1 + 1

But here's the problem: As you add and delete items, which presumably means 
inserting and deleting rows, this will move down or up those page numbering 
cells.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:08DCFC3B-A680-454F-B7E0-303F8951D1EC@microsoft.com...
> This is what I am doing....
>
> I have a monthly document (identical in appearance but not content) which
> can expand or shrink dependant on the number of items which are added to 
> it.
> The top section is printed on each page and one of the cells needs to 
> state
> the page number. ie Page 1 of 2 etc.
>
> Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the printed
> page number?
>
> Dave 


0
someone798 (944)
7/18/2005 3:14:42 PM
Earl,

If we put the macro into the document how much will it effect the printing 
process?

I am keen to give it a go if it will not effect the document to badly...

Thanks for your help with this.

Dave

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

> DC,
> 
> (1) It appears as though you've laid your sheet out with regard to the 
> printed pages.  That is a lot of trouble.  If you haven't looked at the 
> printing features in File - Page setup, you should first do that.  You can 
> have headings, including automatic page numbers, column and/or row headings 
> that automatically repeat across the pages, and other things.  Now you just 
> maintain your worksheet as one continuous table, and let Page Setup add the 
> page stuff for printing.
> 
> (2)  If you have to have the page numbers on the sheet, the next best 
> solution would be for a macro, fired by the Before_Print event, to loop 
> through the pages and put in the numbers into the cells where you want them. 
> It would have to walk its way through the page breaks, a slow process (the 
> last time I messed with it), as the PageBreak object is made of molasses. 
> And kept cold.  If you're willing to put a macro in, along with its 
> ramifications (the user gets the "This workbook contains macros..." message 
> on opening), we'll write it for you.
> 
> (3)  Failing that, you'll need to put the page numbers in yourself, into 
> cells.  you'll need to determine where the page breaks are, then use 
> formulas for each page number.  You can use View - Page Break Preview to see 
> that.  Then you could pick a cell in each page, and use a formula that 
> refers to the prior page number cell. If the prior cell is A1, use:
> 
> =A1 + 1
> 
> But here's the problem: As you add and delete items, which presumably means 
> inserting and deleting rows, this will move down or up those page numbering 
> cells.
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> www.smokeylake.com
> 
> "DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:08DCFC3B-A680-454F-B7E0-303F8951D1EC@microsoft.com...
> > This is what I am doing....
> >
> > I have a monthly document (identical in appearance but not content) which
> > can expand or shrink dependant on the number of items which are added to 
> > it.
> > The top section is printed on each page and one of the cells needs to 
> > state
> > the page number. ie Page 1 of 2 etc.
> >
> > Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the printed
> > page number?
> >
> > Dave 
> 
> 
> 
0
7/19/2005 7:32:01 AM
Dave,

It won't affect printing at all.  It will run automatically before the print 
takes place, and will calculate and put page numbers in a cell in each page 
of the sheet.

The following macro isn't complete.  It should be put in a regular module 
and gotten working as you want it before you put it in Before_Print for 
automatic firing.  It will put page numbers in the upper left corner cell of 
each page, left pages only.  If the worksheet is wider than one page, it 
won't do them yet.

Sub pagenumbers()
Dim MyR As Range
Dim PageNumber As Long

Set Mysheet = ActiveSheet
PageNumber = 1
Set MyR = Range("A1") ' starting cell
MyR.Value = "Page " & PageNumber ' first page number

Do While Not Intersect(MyR, ActiveSheet.UsedRange) Is Nothing
  If MyR.EntireRow.PageBreak = xlPageBreakAutomatic Then
    MyR.Value = "Page " & PageNumber ' put page number in cell
    PageNumber = PageNumber + 1
    End If
  Set MyR = MyR.Offset(1, 0) ' move down
  Loop
End Sub

Run this on a copy of the sheet, as it will modify it.  Make a new copy each 
time you run it.

Consider carefully if you want to remain commited to this page-oriented 
worksheet.  You'll be precluding a lot of Excel functionality.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:B5F16962-04EE-470E-9257-48530C70422A@microsoft.com...
> Earl,
>
> If we put the macro into the document how much will it effect the printing
> process?
>
> I am keen to give it a go if it will not effect the document to badly...
>
> Thanks for your help with this.
>
> Dave
>
> "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
>
>> DC,
>>
>> (1) It appears as though you've laid your sheet out with regard to the
>> printed pages.  That is a lot of trouble.  If you haven't looked at the
>> printing features in File - Page setup, you should first do that.  You 
>> can
>> have headings, including automatic page numbers, column and/or row 
>> headings
>> that automatically repeat across the pages, and other things.  Now you 
>> just
>> maintain your worksheet as one continuous table, and let Page Setup add 
>> the
>> page stuff for printing.
>>
>> (2)  If you have to have the page numbers on the sheet, the next best
>> solution would be for a macro, fired by the Before_Print event, to loop
>> through the pages and put in the numbers into the cells where you want 
>> them.
>> It would have to walk its way through the page breaks, a slow process 
>> (the
>> last time I messed with it), as the PageBreak object is made of molasses.
>> And kept cold.  If you're willing to put a macro in, along with its
>> ramifications (the user gets the "This workbook contains macros..." 
>> message
>> on opening), we'll write it for you.
>>
>> (3)  Failing that, you'll need to put the page numbers in yourself, into
>> cells.  you'll need to determine where the page breaks are, then use
>> formulas for each page number.  You can use View - Page Break Preview to 
>> see
>> that.  Then you could pick a cell in each page, and use a formula that
>> refers to the prior page number cell. If the prior cell is A1, use:
>>
>> =A1 + 1
>>
>> But here's the problem: As you add and delete items, which presumably 
>> means
>> inserting and deleting rows, this will move down or up those page 
>> numbering
>> cells.
>> --
>> Earl Kiosterud
>> www.smokeylake.com
>>
>> "DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:08DCFC3B-A680-454F-B7E0-303F8951D1EC@microsoft.com...
>> > This is what I am doing....
>> >
>> > I have a monthly document (identical in appearance but not content) 
>> > which
>> > can expand or shrink dependant on the number of items which are added 
>> > to
>> > it.
>> > The top section is printed on each page and one of the cells needs to
>> > state
>> > the page number. ie Page 1 of 2 etc.
>> >
>> > Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the 
>> > printed
>> > page number?
>> >
>> > Dave
>>
>>
>> 


0
someone798 (944)
7/19/2005 12:53:24 PM
Earl,

Thanks for your help... I'll give it a go... but I think we might change the 
format of the document.

Regards 

DC

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

> Dave,
> 
> It won't affect printing at all.  It will run automatically before the print 
> takes place, and will calculate and put page numbers in a cell in each page 
> of the sheet.
> 
> The following macro isn't complete.  It should be put in a regular module 
> and gotten working as you want it before you put it in Before_Print for 
> automatic firing.  It will put page numbers in the upper left corner cell of 
> each page, left pages only.  If the worksheet is wider than one page, it 
> won't do them yet.
> 
> Sub pagenumbers()
> Dim MyR As Range
> Dim PageNumber As Long
> 
> Set Mysheet = ActiveSheet
> PageNumber = 1
> Set MyR = Range("A1") ' starting cell
> MyR.Value = "Page " & PageNumber ' first page number
> 
> Do While Not Intersect(MyR, ActiveSheet.UsedRange) Is Nothing
>   If MyR.EntireRow.PageBreak = xlPageBreakAutomatic Then
>     MyR.Value = "Page " & PageNumber ' put page number in cell
>     PageNumber = PageNumber + 1
>     End If
>   Set MyR = MyR.Offset(1, 0) ' move down
>   Loop
> End Sub
> 
> Run this on a copy of the sheet, as it will modify it.  Make a new copy each 
> time you run it.
> 
> Consider carefully if you want to remain commited to this page-oriented 
> worksheet.  You'll be precluding a lot of Excel functionality.
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> www.smokeylake.com
> 
> "DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:B5F16962-04EE-470E-9257-48530C70422A@microsoft.com...
> > Earl,
> >
> > If we put the macro into the document how much will it effect the printing
> > process?
> >
> > I am keen to give it a go if it will not effect the document to badly...
> >
> > Thanks for your help with this.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
> >
> >> DC,
> >>
> >> (1) It appears as though you've laid your sheet out with regard to the
> >> printed pages.  That is a lot of trouble.  If you haven't looked at the
> >> printing features in File - Page setup, you should first do that.  You 
> >> can
> >> have headings, including automatic page numbers, column and/or row 
> >> headings
> >> that automatically repeat across the pages, and other things.  Now you 
> >> just
> >> maintain your worksheet as one continuous table, and let Page Setup add 
> >> the
> >> page stuff for printing.
> >>
> >> (2)  If you have to have the page numbers on the sheet, the next best
> >> solution would be for a macro, fired by the Before_Print event, to loop
> >> through the pages and put in the numbers into the cells where you want 
> >> them.
> >> It would have to walk its way through the page breaks, a slow process 
> >> (the
> >> last time I messed with it), as the PageBreak object is made of molasses.
> >> And kept cold.  If you're willing to put a macro in, along with its
> >> ramifications (the user gets the "This workbook contains macros..." 
> >> message
> >> on opening), we'll write it for you.
> >>
> >> (3)  Failing that, you'll need to put the page numbers in yourself, into
> >> cells.  you'll need to determine where the page breaks are, then use
> >> formulas for each page number.  You can use View - Page Break Preview to 
> >> see
> >> that.  Then you could pick a cell in each page, and use a formula that
> >> refers to the prior page number cell. If the prior cell is A1, use:
> >>
> >> =A1 + 1
> >>
> >> But here's the problem: As you add and delete items, which presumably 
> >> means
> >> inserting and deleting rows, this will move down or up those page 
> >> numbering
> >> cells.
> >> --
> >> Earl Kiosterud
> >> www.smokeylake.com
> >>
> >> "DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:08DCFC3B-A680-454F-B7E0-303F8951D1EC@microsoft.com...
> >> > This is what I am doing....
> >> >
> >> > I have a monthly document (identical in appearance but not content) 
> >> > which
> >> > can expand or shrink dependant on the number of items which are added 
> >> > to
> >> > it.
> >> > The top section is printed on each page and one of the cells needs to
> >> > state
> >> > the page number. ie Page 1 of 2 etc.
> >> >
> >> > Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the 
> >> > printed
> >> > page number?
> >> >
> >> > Dave
> >>
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
7/19/2005 1:10:02 PM
Dave,

Now you're talking.  Get familiar with the features in File - Page Setup. 
It might just be what you need.  If you want the printout in too different a 
layout from the table (sheet), and have Access, you can use that for the 
report (printout).  It lets you lay the report any way you want -- Excel 
prints it pretty much as is, with the features in Page Setup.  You can 
either move the whole application to Access (depending on what it is, that 
may or may not be the way to go), or make a linked table to the existing 
Excel sheet, which must be in table form, as I mentioned in the earlier 
post.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:5C39E4D4-512C-44B2-BFB7-30865C950EBB@microsoft.com...
> Earl,
>
> Thanks for your help... I'll give it a go... but I think we might change 
> the
> format of the document.
>
> Regards
>
> DC
>
> "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>
>> It won't affect printing at all.  It will run automatically before the 
>> print
>> takes place, and will calculate and put page numbers in a cell in each 
>> page
>> of the sheet.
>>
>> The following macro isn't complete.  It should be put in a regular module
>> and gotten working as you want it before you put it in Before_Print for
>> automatic firing.  It will put page numbers in the upper left corner cell 
>> of
>> each page, left pages only.  If the worksheet is wider than one page, it
>> won't do them yet.
>>
>> Sub pagenumbers()
>> Dim MyR As Range
>> Dim PageNumber As Long
>>
>> Set Mysheet = ActiveSheet
>> PageNumber = 1
>> Set MyR = Range("A1") ' starting cell
>> MyR.Value = "Page " & PageNumber ' first page number
>>
>> Do While Not Intersect(MyR, ActiveSheet.UsedRange) Is Nothing
>>   If MyR.EntireRow.PageBreak = xlPageBreakAutomatic Then
>>     MyR.Value = "Page " & PageNumber ' put page number in cell
>>     PageNumber = PageNumber + 1
>>     End If
>>   Set MyR = MyR.Offset(1, 0) ' move down
>>   Loop
>> End Sub
>>
>> Run this on a copy of the sheet, as it will modify it.  Make a new copy 
>> each
>> time you run it.
>>
>> Consider carefully if you want to remain commited to this page-oriented
>> worksheet.  You'll be precluding a lot of Excel functionality.
>> --
>> Earl Kiosterud
>> www.smokeylake.com
>>
>> "DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:B5F16962-04EE-470E-9257-48530C70422A@microsoft.com...
>> > Earl,
>> >
>> > If we put the macro into the document how much will it effect the 
>> > printing
>> > process?
>> >
>> > I am keen to give it a go if it will not effect the document to 
>> > badly...
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help with this.
>> >
>> > Dave
>> >
>> > "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
>> >
>> >> DC,
>> >>
>> >> (1) It appears as though you've laid your sheet out with regard to the
>> >> printed pages.  That is a lot of trouble.  If you haven't looked at 
>> >> the
>> >> printing features in File - Page setup, you should first do that.  You
>> >> can
>> >> have headings, including automatic page numbers, column and/or row
>> >> headings
>> >> that automatically repeat across the pages, and other things.  Now you
>> >> just
>> >> maintain your worksheet as one continuous table, and let Page Setup 
>> >> add
>> >> the
>> >> page stuff for printing.
>> >>
>> >> (2)  If you have to have the page numbers on the sheet, the next best
>> >> solution would be for a macro, fired by the Before_Print event, to 
>> >> loop
>> >> through the pages and put in the numbers into the cells where you want
>> >> them.
>> >> It would have to walk its way through the page breaks, a slow process
>> >> (the
>> >> last time I messed with it), as the PageBreak object is made of 
>> >> molasses.
>> >> And kept cold.  If you're willing to put a macro in, along with its
>> >> ramifications (the user gets the "This workbook contains macros..."
>> >> message
>> >> on opening), we'll write it for you.
>> >>
>> >> (3)  Failing that, you'll need to put the page numbers in yourself, 
>> >> into
>> >> cells.  you'll need to determine where the page breaks are, then use
>> >> formulas for each page number.  You can use View - Page Break Preview 
>> >> to
>> >> see
>> >> that.  Then you could pick a cell in each page, and use a formula that
>> >> refers to the prior page number cell. If the prior cell is A1, use:
>> >>
>> >> =A1 + 1
>> >>
>> >> But here's the problem: As you add and delete items, which presumably
>> >> means
>> >> inserting and deleting rows, this will move down or up those page
>> >> numbering
>> >> cells.
>> >> --
>> >> Earl Kiosterud
>> >> www.smokeylake.com
>> >>
>> >> "DC appleyards" <DCappleyards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
>> >> message
>> >> news:08DCFC3B-A680-454F-B7E0-303F8951D1EC@microsoft.com...
>> >> > This is what I am doing....
>> >> >
>> >> > I have a monthly document (identical in appearance but not content)
>> >> > which
>> >> > can expand or shrink dependant on the number of items which are 
>> >> > added
>> >> > to
>> >> > it.
>> >> > The top section is printed on each page and one of the cells needs 
>> >> > to
>> >> > state
>> >> > the page number. ie Page 1 of 2 etc.
>> >> >
>> >> > Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the
>> >> > printed
>> >> > page number?
>> >> >
>> >> > Dave
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>> 


0
someone798 (944)
7/19/2005 4:08:09 PM
Hi Dave,

I have added a function to my litLIB addin that does this. Perhaps you want 
to have a look at it: www.oraxcel.com/projects/litlib

I have added the function =PageNumber and =PageCount

> Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the printed
> page number?


0
Linker
12/3/2005 8:27:42 AM
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_frm/thread/187c2f5f86010aaf/6429962074b3d344?lnk=st&q=group%3A*excel*+insubject%3A%22Page+insubject%3ANumbers+insubject%3Ain+insubject%3ACells%22&rnum=1&hl=en#6429962074b3d344

or

http://snipurl.com/kgdy

(Thread from mid-July)

Linker IT Software wrote:
> 
> Hi Dave,
> 
> I have added a function to my litLIB addin that does this. Perhaps you want
> to have a look at it: www.oraxcel.com/projects/litlib
> 
> I have added the function =PageNumber and =PageCount
> 
> > Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the printed
> > page number?

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
12/3/2005 3:00:32 PM
In other words it is an old thread.   For those that don't want to spend money there
are other solutions besides the one in the thread about forcing page breaks.


Here is one of the actual solutions     Page #   of  ##  into a cell. by Mrna Larson
  http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/msg/0fb2536c782464ff
part of this thread
  http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=379C8919.A9FE3A4B%40bowood.u-net.com

and a solution by Laurent Longre in this thread: using VBA
  http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=38fd6ebe%40news.server.worldonline.co.uk

-- 
FWIW
I had references to  Page number, inserted into a cell, Laurent Longre, Myrna Larson.
but Google has messed them up. that's the who problem with them assigning their own
numbers or in reality recycling the old DejaVue numbers which Google had recognized

This is what I had the reference is good but the references within are bad.
  http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=OWLWQ2qlDHA.3312%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

And I had to look up the references again, unfortunately I could only get the message
number form the first message in each of those threads.

---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

"Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message news:4391B310.525C7CB7@verizonXSPAM.net...
>
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_frm/thread/187c2f5f86010aaf/6429962074b3d344?lnk=st&q=group%3A*excel*+insubject%3A%22Page+insubject%3ANumbers+insubject%3Ain+insubject%3ACells%22&rnum=1&hl=en#6429962074b3d344
>
> or
>
> http://snipurl.com/kgdy
>
> (Thread from mid-July)
>
> Linker IT Software wrote:
> >
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > I have added a function to my litLIB addin that does this. Perhaps you want
> > to have a look at it: www.oraxcel.com/projects/litlib
> >
> > I have added the function =PageNumber and =PageCount
> >
> > > Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the printed
> > > page number?
>
> -- 
>
> Dave Peterson


0
12/4/2005 6:39:59 AM
And the other thing that scared me was the "hi Dave".  I wasn't sure for which
Dave the message was intended.

Thanks for the posting the other solutions.

David McRitchie wrote:
> 
> In other words it is an old thread.   For those that don't want to spend money there
> are other solutions besides the one in the thread about forcing page breaks.
> 
> Here is one of the actual solutions     Page #   of  ##  into a cell. by Mrna Larson
>   http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/msg/0fb2536c782464ff
> part of this thread
>   http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=379C8919.A9FE3A4B%40bowood.u-net.com
> 
> and a solution by Laurent Longre in this thread: using VBA
>   http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=38fd6ebe%40news.server.worldonline.co.uk
> 
> --
> FWIW
> I had references to  Page number, inserted into a cell, Laurent Longre, Myrna Larson.
> but Google has messed them up. that's the who problem with them assigning their own
> numbers or in reality recycling the old DejaVue numbers which Google had recognized
> 
> This is what I had the reference is good but the references within are bad.
>   http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=OWLWQ2qlDHA.3312%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
> 
> And I had to look up the references again, unfortunately I could only get the message
> number form the first message in each of those threads.
> 
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
> 
> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message news:4391B310.525C7CB7@verizonXSPAM.net...
> >
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_frm/thread/187c2f5f86010aaf/6429962074b3d344?lnk=st&q=group%3A*excel*+insubject%3A%22Page+insubject%3ANumbers+insubject%3Ain+insubject%3ACells%22&rnum=1&hl=en#6429962074b3d344
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://snipurl.com/kgdy
> >
> > (Thread from mid-July)
> >
> > Linker IT Software wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Dave,
> > >
> > > I have added a function to my litLIB addin that does this. Perhaps you want
> > > to have a look at it: www.oraxcel.com/projects/litlib
> > >
> > > I have added the function =PageNumber and =PageCount
> > >
> > > > Is there a formula that can be put in the cell that registers the printed
> > > > page number?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
12/4/2005 3:03:45 PM
Hi Dave P.,
There used to be a lot more of us in the Excel newsgroups.
Guess you can thank the people who don't know how to use newsgroups and
instead rely on  Microsoft Communities or Excel Forum and who "think"  it's appropriate
to use a handle instead of their name (don't get me started on Excel Forum).

What gets me is that only seems to be one Tom and only one Chip in the newsgroups (that I notice).
I guess Tom is not as frequent a name as I thought  by Rank in the 1990 US Census
  http://www.census.gov/genealogy/www/namesearch.html

shown as  name,  frequency, cumulative frequency,  rank
 for David, Tom, Dick, and Harry

   male name            freq.          cumulative    RANK
   DAVID                   2.363        17.176             6
   RICHARD             1.703         18.878             7
   THOMAS              1.380         23.185           10
   HARRY                  0.251         52.991          70
   TOM                       0.117         67.890       154
   DAVE                    0.053         77.316       271
   DICK                      0.009         87.298       721

The top ten male names in the US are
   James,  John,  Robert,  Michael,  William, David, Richard, Charles, Joseph, Thomas

The top ten female names in the US are
   Mary,  Patricia,  Linda, Barbara, Elizabeth, Jennifer, Maria,  Susan, Margaret,  Dorothy

but then that is probably how they sign their names or what is on birth certificates
If you want to see details for the top 10 names,  or link to entire listings see
  http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/names_files.html

There is also a list somewhere for births for more current names.
--


"Dave Peterson"  wrote
> And the other thing that scared me was the "hi Dave".  I wasn't sure for which
> Dave the message was intended.


0
12/4/2005 4:12:26 PM
Interesting data.  I wonder what'll happen with the 2000 census.


David McRitchie wrote:
> 
> Hi Dave P.,
> There used to be a lot more of us in the Excel newsgroups.
> Guess you can thank the people who don't know how to use newsgroups and
> instead rely on  Microsoft Communities or Excel Forum and who "think"  it's appropriate
> to use a handle instead of their name (don't get me started on Excel Forum).
> 
> What gets me is that only seems to be one Tom and only one Chip in the newsgroups (that I notice).
> I guess Tom is not as frequent a name as I thought  by Rank in the 1990 US Census
>   http://www.census.gov/genealogy/www/namesearch.html
> 
> shown as  name,  frequency, cumulative frequency,  rank
>  for David, Tom, Dick, and Harry
> 
>    male name            freq.          cumulative    RANK
>    DAVID                   2.363        17.176             6
>    RICHARD             1.703         18.878             7
>    THOMAS              1.380         23.185           10
>    HARRY                  0.251         52.991          70
>    TOM                       0.117         67.890       154
>    DAVE                    0.053         77.316       271
>    DICK                      0.009         87.298       721
> 
> The top ten male names in the US are
>    James,  John,  Robert,  Michael,  William, David, Richard, Charles, Joseph, Thomas
> 
> The top ten female names in the US are
>    Mary,  Patricia,  Linda, Barbara, Elizabeth, Jennifer, Maria,  Susan, Margaret,  Dorothy
> 
> but then that is probably how they sign their names or what is on birth certificates
> If you want to see details for the top 10 names,  or link to entire listings see
>   http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/names_files.html
> 
> There is also a list somewhere for births for more current names.
> --
> 
> "Dave Peterson"  wrote
> > And the other thing that scared me was the "hi Dave".  I wasn't sure for which
> > Dave the message was intended.

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
12/4/2005 5:28:43 PM
Curious about a name???
Check here:
http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html


***********
Regards,
Ron


"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Interesting data.  I wonder what'll happen with the 2000 census.
> 
> 
> David McRitchie wrote:
> > 
> > Hi Dave P.,
> > There used to be a lot more of us in the Excel newsgroups.
> > Guess you can thank the people who don't know how to use newsgroups and
> > instead rely on  Microsoft Communities or Excel Forum and who "think"  it's appropriate
> > to use a handle instead of their name (don't get me started on Excel Forum).
> > 
> > What gets me is that only seems to be one Tom and only one Chip in the newsgroups (that I notice).
> > I guess Tom is not as frequent a name as I thought  by Rank in the 1990 US Census
> >   http://www.census.gov/genealogy/www/namesearch.html
> > 
> > shown as  name,  frequency, cumulative frequency,  rank
> >  for David, Tom, Dick, and Harry
> > 
> >    male name            freq.          cumulative    RANK
> >    DAVID                   2.363        17.176             6
> >    RICHARD             1.703         18.878             7
> >    THOMAS              1.380         23.185           10
> >    HARRY                  0.251         52.991          70
> >    TOM                       0.117         67.890       154
> >    DAVE                    0.053         77.316       271
> >    DICK                      0.009         87.298       721
> > 
> > The top ten male names in the US are
> >    James,  John,  Robert,  Michael,  William, David, Richard, Charles, Joseph, Thomas
> > 
> > The top ten female names in the US are
> >    Mary,  Patricia,  Linda, Barbara, Elizabeth, Jennifer, Maria,  Susan, Margaret,  Dorothy
> > 
> > but then that is probably how they sign their names or what is on birth certificates
> > If you want to see details for the top 10 names,  or link to entire listings see
> >   http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/names_files.html
> > 
> > There is also a list somewhere for births for more current names.
> > --
> > 
> > "Dave Peterson"  wrote
> > > And the other thing that scared me was the "hi Dave".  I wasn't sure for which
> > > Dave the message was intended.
> 
> -- 
> 
> Dave Peterson
> 
0
12/4/2005 5:51:02 PM
Pretty neat!

Thanks

Ron Coderre wrote:
> 
> Curious about a name???
> Check here:
> http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html
> 
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
>
0
petersod (12004)
12/4/2005 5:55:40 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

insert row when cell full, auto wrap
Hi there, I used this code in ver 2003 to insert a row and wrap text in a cell..BUT, it does not work in ver 2007. Any ideas? Much appreciated. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim NewRwHt As Single Dim cWdth As Single, MrgeWdth As Single Dim c As Range, cc As Range Dim ma As Range With Target If .MergeCells And .WrapText Then Set c = Target.Cells(1, 1) cWdth = c.ColumnWidth Set ma = c.MergeArea For Each cc In ma.Cells MrgeWdth = MrgeWdth + cc.ColumnWidth Next Application.ScreenUpdating = False ma.MergeCells = False c.ColumnWidth = ...

generate random numbers..
Hi..!! is it possible for excel to generate random numbers, let's say lik product numbers..?? if it's possible.. then how... thx.. -- xyncr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- xyncro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1521 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26847 There's the RAND() function and, in the Analysis Tool Pack, the RANDBETWEEN function. They may return duplicates, however. On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:53:39 -0500, xyncro <xyncro.1e0nxy@excelforum-nospam.co...

Counting cell on condition
Hi, I have sheet, in which Col A contains dates, now i have to calculate the dates with the condition of >= and <=. for example: Col A 01/01/07 01/01/07 01/01/07 01/01/07 01/01/07 01/02/07 01/02/07 01/02/07 01/02/07 01/02/07 01/03/07 01/03/07 01/03/07 01/03/07 01/04/07 01/04/07 01/04/07 01/04/07 01/04/07 Now in cell B2,i have to count the dates which are between 01/01/07 and 01/02/07. Please help. thanks, navin If you have the first 01/01/07 in A1 then try =COUNTIF(A:A,A1) Hope this helps Andrew "navin" <navin.narayana@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1170263...

Mirror pages
We working on a 55 page catalog that is using the ACCENT BOX layout that came with Publisher. Every page has a pageholder/header at the top that shows the name of the catalog, the page number and a little image. When we began this, we were adding single pages (not knowing about the master page concept). Now we have all the pages ready but we've noticed that the page numbers within the pageholder and image are all on the top right of every page. What we would prefer is that they be mirrored with the left pages (odd number) having these items on the left hand corner and the right ...

All pages display on each page
I am having a problem with 2002 version that displays every page in the publication as one. Essentially every page is overlayed on every other page which makes the whole thing look like a big mess. Any suggestions as to how to cure this ? You maybe experiencing video driver failure. Do this, slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel, display folder, settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab, slide the acceleration down a couple of notches. If this solves your issue go to the manufacturer's web site of your graphics card and look around for an upgraded driver. D...

find the largest number in column
How do get Excel (Ofc 2000) to check all the numbers in column B to find the largest number and copy it into cell C3? Jack "Jack" <jslimp01@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:OTobvLDQFHA.2252@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > How do get Excel (Ofc 2000) to check all the numbers in column B to find the > largest number and copy it into cell C3? > > Jack > > In C3, enter =MAX(B:B) /Fredrik Jack, Use the MAX function. In cell C3, use the following formula: =MAX(B:B) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpe...

Working with cell borders
I'm trying to have a vertical inside border in one cell, and that choice does not seem to be available, i.e., it's grayed out on the borders box. Why is this? On 21 Jan, 13:26, neppyworker <neppywor...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm trying to have a vertical inside border in one cell, and that choice does > not seem to be available, i.e., it's grayed out on the borders box. Why is > this? The inside border option refers to when you are working with a range of cells. If you selected A1:B3, and chose the inside border option, the broder wou...

How to have more than one page on web site
I am trying to upload a newsletter to a website, but only the front page appears. How do I get all of the pages to appear? ...

creating an e-mail hyperlink from a web page
Can anyone tell me what format I need to use to format a hyperlink that customers can click the submit button and communicate via e-mail to me from our web page. -- Gina I presume you know how to insert a hyperlink, and that given your use of the words "submit button", that you are actually asking about how to get the forms feature to work. Reference: Publisher web publication forms 101 http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/archive/2006/01/07/80564.aspx And then you will probably want to read the article about HTTP uploading protocol, and the troubleshooting article here: http:...

Problem with SDK pages after changing SQL port number
We have encountered an issue where our SDK applications no longer can connect to CRM, however the CRM application itself works fine. This happened after we changed the port number for the SQL server - which was changed to solve a different issue. The error is: [Exception: ErrorMessage: SOAP Server Application Faulted <detail><error><code>80004005</code><description>Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.</description></error></detail> Source: System.Web.Services] It comes from th...

Counting Formatted cells
Hi all, Is there a way to count cells which have been formatted? If so, can I count Blue cells, and then Red cells, then Green cells separately? Finally, can I count cells which have been conditionally formatted? For example: For cells A5 to L8 A5 is Blue. So is D5 and L5. That would be 3 of 12 cells that are formatted. Row 6 has no formatted cells. Row 7 has no formatted cells. B8 is Red, C8 is Green and G8 is Blue. Again, 3 of 12 cells are formatted but each cell has different formatting. Can these cells be counted using a formula? Finally, assume the same circumstances ...

IFD Sign In Page
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C8940A.D1DDFFB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All, Can we leverage credentails passed to "Sign In" page of MS CRM 4.0 in = IFD environment? I want to use it for making call to Discovery service = to fetch organization details. Thanks Rajeev ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C8940A.D1DDFFB0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//...

Showing zero in specific cells
As a general rule I do not want zero's to visibly show in the sheet, but in one specific column where the (pecentage variance) results of a calculation show I need to see these results; positive, negative and zero if applicable. How can I set up that these specific cells will visibily show a zero? Select the sheet and format as General;-General; then select the cells that you want to show zero and use General if you use percentage you the same, semicolon tells excel positive;negative;zero -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the dis...

Tracking Numbers on Invoices
How do I add the field tracking numbers to my invoice? What table is it on? SOP10107 "Debbie" <Debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4050F1D4-7BF2-4A8F-9DBD-00973E84CC92@microsoft.com... > How do I add the field tracking numbers to my invoice? What table is it > on? > > I need to print the LAST tracking number when multiple tracking numbers are used on the invoice. How can this be done? Thanks. "HSalim[MVP]" wrote: > SOP10107 > > "Debbie" <Debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > ...

Excel Cell Merge
I have a spread sheet with a few merge cells that I can not unmerge. I've used the on-line help but was still unable to find the right operation to unmerge. While on-line I did see this note Note If the Merge and Center button is unavailable, the selected cell may be in editing mode. To cancel editing mode, press ENTER. But it still did not allow the cells to be split. The sheet is not lock protected, any advise? Hi, try selecting the whole sheet and then press the merge and center button "HM" wrote: > I have a spread sheet with a few merge cells that I can not u...

loading web pages
what is the easiest way to load a web page in vc++? thanks Depends upon what you mean load. If you mean launching default browser, use ShellExecute. If you mean to load it in your MFC app, use CHTMLView. Other options are MSHTML, IWebBrowser2 etc. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com <anonymous@coolgroups.com> wrote in message news:08836cee5638a933f900557a8deb7d83@news.scbiz.com... | what is the easiest way to load a web page in vc++? | | thanks >-----Original Message----- >what is the easiest way to load a web page in vc++? > >thanks >. > microsoft ...

Complex excel
To cut a long story short, I need to convert mapping coordinates in a specific projection (the Australian Map Grid, or AMG) to a Lat/Long in degrees/minutes/seconds using Redfearn's Formula. There is already an excel worksheet out there which converts these on a one-by-one basis, which is available from: http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/datums/redfearn.xls What I'd like to do is set the value of a cell based on the formula output, eg: =redfearn_lat(X,Y,Z) =redfearn_long(X,Y,Z) With X being the cell reference for the easting value, Y for the northing value, and Z being the Zone. Any he...

converting numbers to seconds or minutes
I need enter some numbers in a cell from a hard copy report. The prin out column is in time format eg Let say cell C1 is 1:14 meaning one minute and 14 seconds. However I do not want to type type th colon : I want to type just 114 (to save time in data entry) an convert that automatically to seconds. I guess I need to create a input mask first then convert the number to seconds. What formul will recognize my data entry and convert it to seconds? I guess th value on the data entry is not time but just numerical value -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out ...

Page up and Page down
Is there any way the you can use Code to cause a form to do page up and page down. I have a Long form that some of the information that is at the bottom of the form is out of view and only use by certain people. How can I have a botton on click go page down to the bottom and another button that will return the form to the top of the form. I know that you can use the keys to accomplish this but for appearance value I would rather use a button on the form to accomplish this. any ideas? Sandrao, You can put a Page Break control on your form. Then, code on the Click event of your button...

Excel formula(?) for choosing only 1 cell..
Hi ~ Is it possible to create a formula or rule that allows only 1 cell within a designated range to be selected? Similar to a survey where the user can only choose 1 option.This is for an internal shipping request form and I want requestors to be able to select only 1 service level (overnight, ground, etc.). So if they click on one then change their mind, clicking on the correct box "moves" the check mark. Thx Easy way would be a ListBox from the Forms menu. select View, Toolbars, Forms and select the Listbox and draw a box. Rightmouse and select Format Control, and select...

Where did the other pages go in my booklet?
Opened an 8 page booklet to update it and print. (Created in Publisher 2003) The only page that is there is the first page. 7 pages are gone. Opened a brochure to print and all that is there is the front side. The extra pages seemed to have disappeared during one of the Microsoft updates. Is there any way to retrieve or find these missing pages? Disappearing pages don't happen during updates. Are you using 2007? Is it a trial? Do you have the page tabs visible in the status bar? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "PDX Sue" <PDX Sue@discussions.mic...

Numbers show instead of text
I entered text into some cells, and it shows up as numbers. What do I do? What sort of text? Where is it entered? What type of numbers? A small example would be nice. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 14:36:02 -0700, Mcoste <Mcoste@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I entered text into some cells, and it shows up as numbers. What do I do? It sounds like you have the data formatted for numeric in the first row of that column. Select the problem cells, right click, select format cells, and select Number type of "General". Good Luck! "Mcoste&quo...

Printing Appts from multiple Calendars on one page- How
Hi Guys. I have a client that uses Exchange 2k3 and Outlook 2k3 for a Calendaring/appointment system for their offices. The person at the front desk makes most of the appointments directly into the user's Calendars via shared calendars. While she can see multiple calendars at once, she would like to be able to print out one page that contains the appointments of multiple calendars. ie; Appointments from multiple calendars time slotted down the page. She needs to be able to juggle interview rooms and other resources and she has to know who has appts at what times. Any ideas on this one?...

How to Make Page No dissapear if there is only one Page
Hi, Is there a way in MS Word 2003 and 2007 for making the page number display only if there is more than one pages. ie. the moment the pages become 2 the page number should appear and the moment the page number become 1 the page number should dissapear. Please help me out of this Regards, Akhil You could use a conditional field combination in the header/footer {IF {Numpages} > 1 {Page}} It will work in any version -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Wor...

I lost my page sorter at the bottom left hand side. How do I get.
I cannot find the page sorter and thus cannot go to different pages. How do I get the page sorter back? Thanks, Myra While in a state of ecstasy after repairing his laptop, Ed sees a message from Rice MS Newsletter Editor <RiceMSNewsletterEditor@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > I cannot find the page sorter and thus cannot go to different pages. > How do I get the page sorter back? Thanks, View > Status Bar is normally the first port of call -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaim...