Page numbering - multiple tabs

I have a workbook that has three tabs.  I update the workbook throughout the
month, adding the previous day's data, analysis, and comments to what is
already there.  I print the entire workbook each day and distribute hard
copies throughout the organization.  I need to have all of the pages
distributed daily sequentially numbered.

The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers will be
1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the month so that in
the middle of the month, tab one may generate the first five pages, the
second tab may generate the next twelve pages, and the last tab will
generate seven pages.  Next month, the relationship between pages and tabs
may vary, so that the number of pages per tab will be different.

I think you get the idea.

I know that I can manually go into settings and custom footer and enter a
predetermined offset for each tab to make, for example, the first page
generated by the second tab be page number 6, and the first page generated
by the third tab be page 18.  But that requires me to figure out in advance
what the needed offset will be each day, and go in and manually change it
each day.

Is there a way to automatically do this?  If there is, I haven't found it.

I imagine that I could manually enter page breaks, and include the page
number in a cell that prints with formulas, etc.  But that's not what I'm
looking for.  I'm hoping for some way to do this in the Custom Footer
setting.

Thanks in advance.

NoWay1025 (4)
3/31/2005 2:00:08 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"M A Lurker" <NoWay1025@newsfeeds.com> wrote...
>The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers
>will be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the
>month so that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the
>first five pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages,
>and the last tab will generate seven pages.  Next month, the
>relationship between pages and tabs may vary, so that the number of
>pages per tab will be different.
>
>I think you get the idea.

My first suggestion would be to cheat. For worksheet 1, make the header or
footer 1.&[Page]; for worksheet 2, 2.&[Page]; and so on. If page numbers are
only needed to identify the sequence of pages, this would be sufficient, and
it's far & away the easiest approach.

If you really want sequential page numbers, then you could use VBA to count
page breaks on each worksheet. You should have 1 more page of printout than
you have page breaks on each worksheet, so the offset for worksheet 2 would
be 2 more than the number of page breaks on worksheet 1.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
3/31/2005 3:11:15 AM
Thanks for responding.

I had already considered the 1.&[Page] angle, and that is a viable
alternative that I could make work.  However, I was trying to see if there
is something in Excel that I haven't discovered yet ... something like
@attrib(worksheetname,pages)+1.  And I have totally made that up, but you
get the idea.

VBA is not an option as that is not currently included in my skill set.  I
understand the opportunities, but have not taken the time to learn it yet.

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> "M A Lurker" <NoWay1025@newsfeeds.com> wrote...
>>The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers
>>will be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the
>>month so that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the
>>first five pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages,
>>and the last tab will generate seven pages.  Next month, the
>>relationship between pages and tabs may vary, so that the number of
>>pages per tab will be different.
>>
>>I think you get the idea.
>
> My first suggestion would be to cheat. For worksheet 1, make the header or
> footer 1.&[Page]; for worksheet 2, 2.&[Page]; and so on. If page numbers
> are
> only needed to identify the sequence of pages, this would be sufficient,
> and
> it's far & away the easiest approach.
>
> If you really want sequential page numbers, then you could use VBA to
> count
> page breaks on each worksheet. You should have 1 more page of printout
> than
> you have page breaks on each worksheet, so the offset for worksheet 2
> would
> be 2 more than the number of page breaks on worksheet 1.

NoWay1025 (4)
3/31/2005 3:39:09 AM
Hi there,

I have written a macro which does this.

'Macro
Sub SetPageNumbers()
    Dim counter
    Sheets(1).PageSetup.FirstPageNumber = 1
    For i = 2 To ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count
        counter = counter + (Sheets(i - 1).VPageBreaks.Count + 1) *
(Sheets(i - 1).HPageBreaks.Count + 1)
        Sheets(i).PageSetup.FirstPageNumber = counter + 1
    Next i
End Sub

'Usage
    SetPageNumbers
End Sub

Hope that helped.

Shafiee.

"M A Lurker" <NoWay1025@newsfeeds.com> wrote in message
>I have a workbook that has three tabs.  I update the workbook throughout
>the month, adding the previous day's data, analysis, and comments to what
>is already there.  I print the entire workbook each day and distribute hard
>copies throughout the organization.  I need to have all of the pages
>distributed daily sequentially numbered.
>
> The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers will
> be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the month so
> that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the first five
> pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages, and the last tab
> will generate seven pages.  Next month, the relationship between pages and
> tabs may vary, so that the number of pages per tab will be different.
>
> I think you get the idea.
>
> I know that I can manually go into settings and custom footer and enter a
> predetermined offset for each tab to make, for example, the first page
> generated by the second tab be page number 6, and the first page generated
> by the third tab be page 18.  But that requires me to figure out in
> advance what the needed offset will be each day, and go in and manually
> change it each day.
>
> Is there a way to automatically do this?  If there is, I haven't found it.
>
> I imagine that I could manually enter page breaks, and include the page
> number in a cell that prints with formulas, etc.  But that's not what I'm
> looking for.  I'm hoping for some way to do this in the Custom Footer
> setting.
>
> Thanks in advance.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

0
shafiee (14)
3/31/2005 3:58:46 AM
M A,

If you're meaning you want the page numbers provided by the &[Page] code in
a header or footer to be one set of page sequential page numbers for all the
pages of all the sheets, setting "First page number" (File - Page setup) to
Auto in the sheets should give you what you want.  You must print them as
one print job, either by using "Entire workbook" in the Print dialog, or by
having the sheets selected, then using "Selected sheets."

--
Earl Kiosterud

>I have a workbook that has three tabs.  I update the workbook throughout
>the month, adding the previous day's data, analysis, and comments to what
>is already there.  I print the entire workbook each day and distribute hard
>copies throughout the organization.  I need to have all of the pages
>distributed daily sequentially numbered.
>
> The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers will
> be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the month so
> that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the first five
> pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages, and the last tab
> will generate seven pages.  Next month, the relationship between pages and
> tabs may vary, so that the number of pages per tab will be different.
>
> I think you get the idea.
>
> I know that I can manually go into settings and custom footer and enter a
> predetermined offset for each tab to make, for example, the first page
> generated by the second tab be page number 6, and the first page generated
> by the third tab be page 18.  But that requires me to figure out in
> advance what the needed offset will be each day, and go in and manually
> change it each day.
>
> Is there a way to automatically do this?  If there is, I haven't found it.
>
> I imagine that I could manually enter page breaks, and include the page
> number in a cell that prints with formulas, etc.  But that's not what I'm
> looking for.  I'm hoping for some way to do this in the Custom Footer
> setting.
>
> Thanks in advance.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

0
nothanks4548 (968)
3/31/2005 4:04:44 AM
AMAZING!  Excel already has this built in and I defeated it by trying to
over-engineer the solution.  Thank you.

And what is the most embarrassing is that is the default!

"Earl Kiosterud" <nothanks@nospam.com> wrote in message
>M A,
>
> If you're meaning you want the page numbers provided by the &[Page] code
> in a header or footer to be one set of page sequential page numbers for
> all the pages of all the sheets, setting "First page number" (File - Page
> setup) to Auto in the sheets should give you what you want.  You must
> print them as one print job, either by using "Entire workbook" in the
> Print dialog, or by having the sheets selected, then using "Selected
> sheets."
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>
> "M A Lurker" <NoWay1025@newsfeeds.com> wrote in message
>>I have a workbook that has three tabs.  I update the workbook throughout
>>the month, adding the previous day's data, analysis, and comments to what
>>is already there.  I print the entire workbook each day and distribute
>>hard copies throughout the organization.  I need to have all of the pages
>>distributed daily sequentially numbered.
>>
>> The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers will
>> be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the month so
>> that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the first five
>> pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages, and the last
>> tab will generate seven pages.  Next month, the relationship between
>> pages and tabs may vary, so that the number of pages per tab will be
>> different.
>>
>> I think you get the idea.
>>
>> I know that I can manually go into settings and custom footer and enter a
>> predetermined offset for each tab to make, for example, the first page
>> generated by the second tab be page number 6, and the first page
>> generated by the third tab be page 18.  But that requires me to figure
>> out in advance what the needed offset will be each day, and go in and
>> manually change it each day.
>>
>> Is there a way to automatically do this?  If there is, I haven't found
>> it.
>>
>> I imagine that I could manually enter page breaks, and include the page
>> number in a cell that prints with formulas, etc.  But that's not what I'm
>> looking for.  I'm hoping for some way to do this in the Custom Footer
>> setting.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> =----

NoWay1025 (4)
3/31/2005 4:35:59 AM
:)

> AMAZING!  Excel already has this built in and I defeated it by trying to
> over-engineer the solution.  Thank you.
>
> And what is the most embarrassing is that is the default!
>

> "Earl Kiosterud" <nothanks@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>M A,
>>
>> If you're meaning you want the page numbers provided by the &[Page] code
>> in a header or footer to be one set of page sequential page numbers for
>> all the pages of all the sheets, setting "First page number" (File - Page
>> setup) to Auto in the sheets should give you what you want.  You must
>> print them as one print job, either by using "Entire workbook" in the
>> Print dialog, or by having the sheets selected, then using "Selected
>> sheets."
>>
>> --
>> Earl Kiosterud
>> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>>
>> "M A Lurker" <NoWay1025@newsfeeds.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a workbook that has three tabs.  I update the workbook throughout
>>>the month, adding the previous day's data, analysis, and comments to what
>>>is already there.  I print the entire workbook each day and distribute
>>>hard copies throughout the organization.  I need to have all of the pages
>>>distributed daily sequentially numbered.
>>>
>>> The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers will
>>> be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the month so
>>> that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the first five
>>> pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages, and the last
>>> tab will generate seven pages.  Next month, the relationship between
>>> pages and tabs may vary, so that the number of pages per tab will be
>>> different.
>>>
>>> I think you get the idea.
>>>
>>> I know that I can manually go into settings and custom footer and enter
>>> a predetermined offset for each tab to make, for example, the first page
>>> generated by the second tab be page number 6, and the first page
>>> generated by the third tab be page 18.  But that requires me to figure
>>> out in advance what the needed offset will be each day, and go in and
>>> manually change it each day.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to automatically do this?  If there is, I haven't found
>>> it.
>>>
>>> I imagine that I could manually enter page breaks, and include the page
>>> number in a cell that prints with formulas, etc.  But that's not what
>>> I'm looking for.  I'm hoping for some way to do this in the Custom
>>> Footer setting.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

>>> News==----
>>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>>> Newsgroups
>>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>>> =----

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

0
shafiee (14)

generate random numbers..
Hi..!! is it possible for excel to generate random numbers, let's say lik product numbers..?? if it's possible.. then how... thx.. -- xyncr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- xyncro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1521 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26847 There's the RAND() function and, in the Analysis Tool Pack, the RANDBETWEEN function. They may return duplicates, however. On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:53:39 -0500, xyncro <xyncro.1e0nxy@excelforum-nospam.co...

Mirror pages
We working on a 55 page catalog that is using the ACCENT BOX layout that came with Publisher. Every page has a pageholder/header at the top that shows the name of the catalog, the page number and a little image. When we began this, we were adding single pages (not knowing about the master page concept). Now we have all the pages ready but we've noticed that the page numbers within the pageholder and image are all on the top right of every page. What we would prefer is that they be mirrored with the left pages (odd number) having these items on the left hand corner and the right ...

Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?
Win 7 Pro on a new HP i7 PC with 9GB ram. All MS and HP updates installed 64 bit IE8 works perfect. Only 32 bit version has this problem. Can not right click and "Open in new window" Can not right click and "open in new tab" Links that open in a new tab just sit there saying "Connecting" Links that open in a new window do nothing. (Like new question window in here) I have reset all defaults in internet, Intranet, and Trusted Zones. I have cleared all temp and cache files I have reset advanced settings I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8 I have r...

All pages display on each page
I am having a problem with 2002 version that displays every page in the publication as one. Essentially every page is overlayed on every other page which makes the whole thing look like a big mess. Any suggestions as to how to cure this ? You maybe experiencing video driver failure. Do this, slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel, display folder, settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab, slide the acceleration down a couple of notches. If this solves your issue go to the manufacturer's web site of your graphics card and look around for an upgraded driver. D...

find the largest number in column
How do get Excel (Ofc 2000) to check all the numbers in column B to find the largest number and copy it into cell C3? Jack "Jack" <jslimp01@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:OTobvLDQFHA.2252@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > How do get Excel (Ofc 2000) to check all the numbers in column B to find the > largest number and copy it into cell C3? > > Jack > > In C3, enter =MAX(B:B) /Fredrik Jack, Use the MAX function. In cell C3, use the following formula: =MAX(B:B) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpe...

How to have more than one page on web site
I am trying to upload a newsletter to a website, but only the front page appears. How do I get all of the pages to appear? ...

creating an e-mail hyperlink from a web page
Can anyone tell me what format I need to use to format a hyperlink that customers can click the submit button and communicate via e-mail to me from our web page. -- Gina I presume you know how to insert a hyperlink, and that given your use of the words "submit button", that you are actually asking about how to get the forms feature to work. Reference: Publisher web publication forms 101 http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/archive/2006/01/07/80564.aspx And then you will probably want to read the article about HTTP uploading protocol, and the troubleshooting article here: http:...

Problem with SDK pages after changing SQL port number

Load Spreadsheet Tab
Is there a way to load an existing seperate spreadsheet into an individual worksheet in a seperate spreadsheet? "Danny McMillian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:070001c3de98$8ec7f450$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to load an existing seperate spreadsheet > into an individual worksheet in a seperate spreadsheet? You can open both workbooks together and then move (or copy) a worksheet from one to the other. To switch between two open workbooks, use the Window menu and click on the book name in the dropdown menu. To move (or copy) a wor...

IFD Sign In Page
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C8940A.D1DDFFB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All, Can we leverage credentails passed to "Sign In" page of MS CRM 4.0 in = IFD environment? I want to use it for making call to Discovery service = to fetch organization details. Thanks Rajeev ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C8940A.D1DDFFB0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//...

Tracking Numbers on Invoices
How do I add the field tracking numbers to my invoice? What table is it on? SOP10107 "Debbie" <Debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4050F1D4-7BF2-4A8F-9DBD-00973E84CC92@microsoft.com... > How do I add the field tracking numbers to my invoice? What table is it > on? > > I need to print the LAST tracking number when multiple tracking numbers are used on the invoice. How can this be done? Thanks. "HSalim[MVP]" wrote: > SOP10107 > > "Debbie" <Debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > ...

what is the easiest way to load a web page in vc++? thanks Depends upon what you mean load. If you mean launching default browser, use ShellExecute. If you mean to load it in your MFC app, use CHTMLView. Other options are MSHTML, IWebBrowser2 etc. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com <anonymous@coolgroups.com> wrote in message news:08836cee5638a933f900557a8deb7d83@news.scbiz.com... | what is the easiest way to load a web page in vc++? | | thanks >-----Original Message----- >what is the easiest way to load a web page in vc++? > >thanks >. > microsoft ...

converting numbers to seconds or minutes
I need enter some numbers in a cell from a hard copy report. The prin out column is in time format eg Let say cell C1 is 1:14 meaning one minute and 14 seconds. However I do not want to type type th colon : I want to type just 114 (to save time in data entry) an convert that automatically to seconds. I guess I need to create a input mask first then convert the number to seconds. What formul will recognize my data entry and convert it to seconds? I guess th value on the data entry is not time but just numerical value -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out ...

Vertical tabs in Property Sheet
Hi, I'm trying to create a property sheet wherein the tabs would be displayed vertically(on the left), rather than on top. The code is as shown below: BOOL CMyPropSheet::OnInitDialog() { BOOL bResult = CPropertySheet::OnInitDialog(); CTabCtrl *pTab = GetTabControl(); pTab->ModifyStyle(0, TCS_VERTICAL ); return bResult; } The problem with this is that the tabs are not displayed clearly. The edges are only vaguely visible till I click on them. Apprecaite if anyone could help me fix this. Also, can icons be displayed on the tabs rather than plain text...

Shape Tab in Charts
I am working on a chart and was told that if I right clicked on one of the columns in the chart I would get the "Format data series" menu and that there would be a SHAPE tab on it. I get other tabs, but nothing regarding shapes. Any suggestions? ...

Page up and Page down
Is there any way the you can use Code to cause a form to do page up and page down. I have a Long form that some of the information that is at the bottom of the form is out of view and only use by certain people. How can I have a botton on click go page down to the bottom and another button that will return the form to the top of the form. I know that you can use the keys to accomplish this but for appearance value I would rather use a button on the form to accomplish this. any ideas? Sandrao, You can put a Page Break control on your form. Then, code on the Click event of your button...

Where did the other pages go in my booklet?
Opened an 8 page booklet to update it and print. (Created in Publisher 2003) The only page that is there is the first page. 7 pages are gone. Opened a brochure to print and all that is there is the front side. The extra pages seemed to have disappeared during one of the Microsoft updates. Is there any way to retrieve or find these missing pages? Disappearing pages don't happen during updates. Are you using 2007? Is it a trial? Do you have the page tabs visible in the status bar? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "PDX Sue" <PDX Sue@discussions.mic...

Numbers show instead of text
I entered text into some cells, and it shows up as numbers. What do I do? What sort of text? Where is it entered? What type of numbers? A small example would be nice. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 14:36:02 -0700, Mcoste <Mcoste@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I entered text into some cells, and it shows up as numbers. What do I do? It sounds like you have the data formatted for numeric in the first row of that column. Select the problem cells, right click, select format cells, and select Number type of "General". Good Luck! "Mcoste&quo...

How to Make Page No dissapear if there is only one Page
Hi, Is there a way in MS Word 2003 and 2007 for making the page number display only if there is more than one pages. ie. the moment the pages become 2 the page number should appear and the moment the page number become 1 the page number should dissapear. Please help me out of this Regards, Akhil You could use a conditional field combination in the header/footer {IF {Numpages} > 1 {Page}} It will work in any version -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Wor...

I lost my page sorter at the bottom left hand side. How do I get.
I cannot find the page sorter and thus cannot go to different pages. How do I get the page sorter back? Thanks, Myra While in a state of ecstasy after repairing his laptop, Ed sees a message from Rice MS Newsletter Editor <RiceMSNewsletterEditor@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > I cannot find the page sorter and thus cannot go to different pages. > How do I get the page sorter back? Thanks, View > Status Bar is normally the first port of call -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaim...

Outlining based on level numbers in most left column
Hi, I have a table, which is downloaded from SAP and has no formulas. The identifier of the rows is a project item number like "PRD. 00133.07-03-04" and I count the number of "." and "-" with a formula to get the level of the project item. My goal is now to make an outline by vba using the level numbers, e.g. 4 in the case described above. The first row of the table is poulate with these level numbers like 1 2 2 3 3 2 1 2 and so on. Does anyone have a vba procedure to solve this problem. Thanks. Excel XP SP3 Windows XP SP3 Best Regard...

Transfer 56 Pages of Data From Clipboard=?ISO-8859-1?B?iiA=?=To Clipboard?
You Mean there IS a Multi-Panel Clipboard in Office 2004?!? Oooppps! I Haven't seen it! Any Clues where it Might Be? You Guys are Great: Thanks for All the Help!! Sea Mac I'm Putting the Stock Phrases in the Scrapbook for Now but will chase down this Auto-Text thing. I hadn't seen it because I'm not using Office 2004 yet, so don't waste any time on my careless words. On 9/30/04 10:21 PM, "Sea Mac" wrote: > You Mean there IS a Multi-Panel Clipboard in Office 2004?!? Oooppps! I > Haven't seen it! Any Clues where it Might Be? You Guys are Gr...

Error on the script of this page
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C6FD1E.A3BEE240 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, Every time I open personal folders, I get a message saying: Error on the script of this page line 298 car 1 error: non registered class code 0 =20 URL: outlook today I close it, and then every thing works OK Thank you for your help if possible Louis MOUSSY ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C6FD1E.A3BEE240 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-...

How to "flip" pages in Reading Layout
At work, we use outlook professional, and documents are sent in "Reading Layout" format. Trouble is, I don't know how to flip the pages. Can you please help me? This is the message I get when I open a mult-page document in MS Word. Welcome to Reading Layout (Microsoft Office Word) This view has been designed to make it easier to read documents on your screen without needing to print them out. Reading Layout: • Lets you flip pages, like reading a book. • Uses large text with ClearType for easy reading. • Is an ideal place to review and comment on a document. • Shows only th...

disabling the tab when the tabs are selected using keyboard
My requirement was when tabs are clicked on certain conditions tabs should not get focus ( just like disabling the tabs ) .The default tab will be shown . this is done by retaining the focus to the original tab if certain condition is not true else the clicked tab will get the focus and corresponding tab is shown.This functionality is done in LButtondown handler function. Same thing should be done when the selection is done through keyboard arrow keys. Anybody can tell where LButtondown functionality has to be incorporated if tab selection is done through keys . ...