Operator precedence (order of operate) =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)

Hi,
what is the order of operating and calculating  in this formula?
=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)

1- A1+A2

2- A1/A2

3- A3^5

4- A2*A3

Regards.

0
masshahab (7)
9/6/2005 11:35:47 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If it were me, I'd put parens in to ensure I get the calculation I want.

"Masood Shahab" <masshahab@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> what is the order of operating and calculating  in this formula?
> =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)
>
> 1- A1+A2
>
> 2- A1/A2
>
> 3- A3^5
>
> 4- A2*A3
>

> Regards.

0
reply6075 (299)
9/7/2005 12:06:35 AM
Masood Shahab wrote...
>what is the order of operating and calculating  in this formula?
>=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)

Same as

=((A1/A2)*(A3^5))-(A1+A2)

There are 3 different precedence levels in your formula

^
* and /
+ and -

in declining order of precedence. For operators of equal precedence,
Excel evaluates STRICTLY left to right.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
9/7/2005 12:21:39 AM
Dear Harlan Grove

I think parenthesis first calculate.
with your idea
=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2) Same as  =((A1/A2)*(A3^5))-(A1+A2)

therefore, A1/A2 (option 2 of the test) is true
is it true?
which option is true?
1- A1+A2
2- A1/A2
3- A3^5
4- A2*A3

Thanks

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> Masood Shahab wrote...
> >what is the order of operating and calculating  in this formula?
> >=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)
>
> Same as
>
> =((A1/A2)*(A3^5))-(A1+A2)
>
> There are 3 different precedence levels in your formula
>
> ^
> * and /
> + and -
>
> in declining order of precedence. For operators of equal precedence,
> Excel evaluates STRICTLY left to right.

0
masshahab (7)
9/7/2005 12:27:59 AM
In the following formula, which is first calculated?

=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)

1- A1+A2
2- A1/A2
3- A3^5
4- A2*A3

0
masshahab (7)
9/7/2005 2:40:45 AM
"Masood Shahab" wrote...
>I think parenthesis first calculate.
>with your idea
>=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2) Same as  =((A1/A2)*(A3^5))-(A1+A2)
>
>therefore, A1/A2 (option 2 of the test) is true
>is it true?
>which option is true?
>1- A1+A2
>2- A1/A2
>3- A3^5
>4- A2*A3

At this point I don't believe I understand what you mean by 'which option is
true?' None are true. All evaluate to numbers. The only question is what the
order of evaluation would be. Strictly speaking, it doesn't matter for
operations of different precedence. A3^5 will be evaluated separately from
A1/A2 and A1+A2. It doesn't matter which of these simple arithmetic
expressions is evaluated first. All that matters is how they're grouped.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
9/7/2005 4:35:47 AM
Strictly in terms of operator precedence:

1)      B = A1 + A2
2)      C = A3^5
3)      D = A1/A2
4)      E = D * C
5 )     F = E - B

Whether within the calculation engine (1) happens before (2), I don't
know. It doesn't matter as long as (1) happens before (5). LIkewise, (2)
may happen before (3) or (3) before (2), but both happen before (4).

In article <uNd8mX1sFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
 "Masood Shahab" <masshahab@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In the following formula, which is first calculated?
>
> =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)
>
> 1- A1+A2
> 2- A1/A2
> 3- A3^5
> 4- A2*A3
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/7/2005 12:55:53 PM
If you check XL help for 'operator precedence' (w/o the quote), the
firt suggested topic will be 'About calculation operators.'  It
includes a section on 'The order in which Excel performs operations in
formulas'

To see what XL actually does, enter the formula in a cell, display the
Formula Auditing toolbar, click the 'Evaluate Formula' button.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <e9d5QwzsFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
masshahab@hotmail.com says...

> Hi,
> what is the order of operating and calculating  in this formula?
> =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)
>
> 1- A1+A2
>
> 2- A1/A2
>
> 3- A3^5
>
> 4- A2*A3
>

> Regards.

Exchange 5.5 conversion problem...
Hello All, I beleive I have a conversion problem, I dont know for sure. ( i am running exchange server 5.5 SP4) I have two clients who have diffrent but similar problems. Client 1 lives out of state, he used to use earthlink's e-mail servers to send us messages. When he sent us a message we would receive it with a diffrent formatting than any other e-mails sent from anyother servers ( i. e. hotmail, yahoo.). When we sent him attachments he would not receive them, he would see the icon, but no information was attached to the icon. This was mostly fixed when he was told to use Outloo...

Shared calendars not available after migration from exch 5.5 to 20
We have several shared calendars (private mailboxes) that become inaccessable by assigned users after they have been migrated from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. The mailbox owners can still open the mailbox and the calendars, the ACL's are still intact, but assigned users still cannot open the calendar and the mailbox owner cannot assign new permissions to the calendar. " We have several shared calendars (private mailboxes) that become inaccessable by assigned users after they have been migrated from Exchange 5.5 to 2003." -- The mailboxes containing the shared calendars were m...

How to change the order in which excel addins gets loaded?
While opening excel, all the excel addins gets loaded in alphabetical order. Is there any option for changing the order in which they are to be loaded, i.e. as per our wish. Can anybody help me out. Joseph ...

Total value for order
I have a query where I extract a line per order_line. One of the fields is products_price, but as there can be several lines for a given order, and I need to set a flag if the total products_price per order is below a certain limit, I do not know how to add the products_price per line into a total. It would be o.k. to duplicate the total for each line in the output. Mogens A DSUM could do the job, but that depends on the context where you need that sum, in the end. DSUM( "product_price", "tableNameHere", "orderID = " & orderID ) should ...

GST on Purchase Orders
How do I change GST from 6% to 5% on RMS purchase orders? Thanks for you help. You go to Database, Suppliers, select the supplier, Items Supplied tab and change the tax rate. -- Disclaimer: Always test any queries that modify data on a test database prior to running on your live data to ensure the desired results. Always back-up prior to running any SQL delete queries on your live data. -- Regards Michael (Brisbane, Australia) "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4A34671-D916-4678-8DE8-B1BD2428DCAB@microsoft.com... > How do I change GST from...

"the operation has timedout" error
Hi All, I am getting the following error. Is it possible to increase the timeout period of a web service? Event Type: Error Event Source: UKDynamics Event Category: (6) Event ID: 103 Date: 15/10/2008 Time: 14:41:52 User: N/A Computer: XXXXXXXXXX Description: Message:- Failure occured during Synchronisation of Locations from XXXXX to CRM. The operation has timed out Type:- System.Net.WebException Source:- System.Web.Services at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWeb...

FAILED OPERATION
publisher will not connect to outlook when sending email attachment What version Publisher? What version Outlook? The Send This Page as Message command is not available when you click Send E-mail on the File menu in Publisher 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884425 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "fits nicely" <fits nicely@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:452BD0E4-6742-4A99-B86E-3CB2AF88500A@microsoft.com... > publisher will not connect to outlook when sendi...

Dual cash drawer operation
I have a prospect that has a news and gift store, and also sells lottery tickets. He would like to use a separate cash drawer at the POS, to enable him to keep the state money separate from other sales monies. He wants to kick the second drawer for this transaction. Can this be handled at the POS? Thanks for the help. Ralph. Hi Ralf :-) Do they accept other tender types for these transactions "can I pay with VISA for lottery tickets?" I'm just curious... maybe Vince has some tips :-) I know this isn't the answer you are looking for... but how about at the end of ...

In regards to secure administration of Exchange 5.5 server...
I would like to limit the amount of power some of my administrators currently have in the Exchange environment I manage. A situation arose where one of the administrator was accessing other user's mailboxes for non-business reasons. Therefore, I would like to ask those of you who have dealt with this type of issue what recommendations you may have? I feel that my location should centrally administer Exchange and any of the other sites should come to us for support. This is an added level of support for us, but security is of utmost importance in my environment, thus my proposal. Any o...

"Sticky" prices for parts in Store Operations
Hi, When we go into store operations, bring up a part and check it's price, then go into another part - RMS seems to "remember" the last part's price. eg. we look at, say, a bolt - it is $3.50, we close that, open up, say, a truck (just an example) - this truck now shows a price of $3.50! In POS where we do the invoices, it has the right price for the truck... but we don't want to do an invoice when just looking up parts for a verbal query. This is a strange one, has anyone else seen this or knows where I can start looking? Thanks, Daniel This issue was fixed...

Sorting does numbers in weird order
I was given a worksheet that I need to sort in numerical order. The cells contain both letters and numbers (e.g., VL 1087). The problem is that it sorts them like VL 1, VL 10, VL 100, VL 1000, VL 1001, etc. VL 16 is after 159 etc. Kind of like dewey decimal system without the decimals. I have tried reformatting the cells to text, numbers, general. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas? The easiest way is to insert two temporary helper columns next to th numbers column. Then - seperate the VL from the numbers, using Data Text-to-columns. Now you have a number column you can sort by, an a...

Operator precedence (order of operate) =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)
Hi, what is the order of operating and calculating in this formula? =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2) 1- A1+A2 2- A1/A2 3- A3^5 4- A2*A3 Regards. If it were me, I'd put parens in to ensure I get the calculation I want. "Masood Shahab" <masshahab@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e9d5QwzsFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > > Hi, > what is the order of operating and calculating in this formula? > =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2) > > 1- A1+A2 > > 2- A1/A2 > > 3- A3^5 > > 4- A2*A3 > > > > Regards. > > > Masood Shahab wrote... &...

Sending Email #5
HELP!!!! I need help sending email through a HP router on a home network system. I am running XP pro. My ISP is Sympatico HIgh Speed (DSL). The modem works fine on its own, to send email. However once set up on the network, I can receive email, NOT send What version of Outlook do you have? What sort of mail account(s)? Do you get any errors when you try to send? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017f01c3cf15$...

Newsreader #5
I am using Outlook 2002. I used to open the Outlook Express newsreader when I clicked the "View/Go to/News buttons. Outlook would open directly to the newsreader. For some reason, it opens to Outlook Express, and I have to select through to get the newsreader. Is there some way I can restore this feature, so I open the newsreader through Outlook 2002? reggie2 cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly: > I am using Outlook 2002. I used to open the Outlook Express newsreader when > I clicked the "View/Go to/News buttons. Outlook would open directly to the > newsreader. ...

Customer Item Number on Packing Slips, Orders, Quotes
I want to add the Customer Item Number on my reports. I found a user-defined function RW_SOP_GetCustomerItemNumber but I don't know how to use it (what parameters I need?) Does somebody know where I can find this information? Thanks, What I have found, Cards>Sales>Customer Items The customer items are added here... "Veri Salvador" wrote: > I want to add the Customer Item Number on my reports. I found a user-defined > function RW_SOP_GetCustomerItemNumber but I don't know how to use it (what > parameters I need?) Does somebody know where I can find th...

You cannot perform this operation at the moment.There is an online operation in progress.
Do you know why is the following message appearings "You cannot perform this operation at the moment.There is an online operation in progress.Please try again later". I have nothing running in the background. I am trying to import a file by downloading from the web and then clicking "Open" button. Some activity is in process, either the one you initiated or another one Money piggy-backed on your request. Money does some auto-processing on imported files, trying to match the file transactions to existing Money transactions. It doesn't let you make any transac...

Operation is not allowed when the object is closed
I seem to be getting this error from the client side of Headquarters quite often, and I can't seem to find any solution online. The MessageBox also says: "(Unhandled Error, state = '7')" Seems to me this could possibly be a programming error, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? Or, does anyone know if this is a problem that they haven't dealt with yet, or at least whether this is a problem I'm supposed to deal with or they are supposed to deal with? "Cribstoteens" wrote: > I seem to be getting this error from t...

chart type affecting data order
When I change the chart type from bar to line (for example), it changes the order that the data is displayed in the data table. How do I keep data in the data table in the same order that I entered it? You would have to use an alternative to a data table. Make a table in the worksheet, where you have much finer control over what appears, where it appears, and how it appears (formats). Then either situate the chart close to this table, or use the camera tool to paste a dynamic picture of the table one or near the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custo...

GP 7.5 SP4 update
I am running the SP4 update for GP 7.5.The update seems to halt at the Verify Setting windows .The next button is grayed out and i have not been able to move forward with the update.It does seem though that the update is still running in the background. Hi Restart you PC, Open regedit and expand the following: HKey_local_machine Software Microsoft Great Plains 7.50 install (right click on install and export and save to desktop - this is a backup) Change the SPApplied to 3 close regedit Rerun the SP4 installation, and comfirm in the details box at the end that the install path is co...

Associate a purchase order with a work order or back order
When creating a purchase order, I would like to create one purchase order for only my outstnading work orders, and/or create a purchase order for only those items which were backordered from the POS screen. Better yet, I would like a one-to-one relationship, where I can create a purchase order for a specific work order or back order. However, there doesn't seem to be that level of filtering. The closest I can get it "Generate based on re-order information". That lumps work order items, back order items, and replenishment of low inventory items all together, which makes our...

Printing from the Store Operations Journal
I am trying to print from the store operation manager journal. When I go to print I get a message indicating that: "An error occured while trying to print to the specified printer. Please make sure that you have a printer installed and that it is properly configured before continuing." I get this if I: Click the Print button Click the Page Setup button Press Alt-P (per the help file) I am running RMS 2.0 with SP2 currently installed. Earlier today I had SP3 installed. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it and SP2. I am a tech support person and do no...

Purchase order
can we have the site ids addresses show on the po deliver to: address PO form. If, so how? -- Crystal Roach Crystal, This requires a modification of the PO form in Report Writer. Change the Ship To address field to reflect the Site address. Hope this helps, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com The site ID address field does not appear in RW for POs. Do I need to link tables? If so, what tables and how. -- Crystal Roach "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP, MCT, MVP" wrote: > Crystal, > > This requ...

mail flow from 5.5 to 2003
I have a 5.5 organization and a new 2003 exchange server. I've got the 2003 to see the 5.5 gal with an adc connector and it sends mail but can't receive mail. I have an smtp connector pointed to my 5.5 server - which I thought would route the mail properly. If my 5.5 org can send mail using the abc.com (primary - we also have a secondary def.com) as a reply address and it can figure out if it is an internal personal or external person, why can't 2003? i.e. if I send to jim@abc.com, my reply address to him is abc.com and 5.5 (I guess) sees it in the routing table and sends the r...

UP Grading Exchange 5.5 to 2003
Hi All I have Exchange 5.5 server on windows NT 4.0 in my network, and i have installed Windows server 2003 on different system and added to my NT 4.0 Domain. Now is it possible to install Exchange 2003 server with out ADS, I need help on this pls if any one know's pls let me know how to install, and i want to copy all the mail boxes form exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003. Thanks Shaikh Exchange 200x needs Active Directory. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchange.co.uk "Shaikh" <smahaboob@dishnet.com> wrote in mess...

DFL 2003 AD and Exchange 5.5 Admin console
I have a DFL 2003 AD Domain, with Exchange 5.5. When switching to DFL 2K3 I left the nt4emulator key present so that 2K machines would still see it as an NT domain. Since raising the Domain and Forest levels have nothing to do with clients it was successful. I know that eventually it will need to be removed, however everything works fine. There is a problem on my admin PC's that have the Neutralize NT4 Emulator keys. My Exchange 5.5 administrator is painfully slow. When I create a new domain account and then create a mailbox in Ex5.5 it takes about 30 minutes for the account to po...