open every workbook in a new instance of excel

Is there a way to make every workbook I open, open in a new excel
instance?  If I open a workbook attachment, or a workbook on my
desktop ....  I'd like it in a totally seperated workbook, not
'windowed' in a currently open workbook.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

> Is there a way to make every workbook I open, open in a new excel
> instance?  If I open a workbook attachment, or a workbook on my
> desktop ....  I'd like it in a totally seperated workbook, not
> 'windowed' in a currently open workbook.

The only way that I have been able to do this is to start a new
instance of Excel and then open your XLS file with it.

Lynn
0
lmc (56)
9/29/2010 7:10:10 PM

Have you tried check marking "Windows in Taskbar" under Excel Options?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon  USA

"cate" <catebekensail@yahoo.com>
wrote in message
Is there a way to make every workbook I open, open in a new excel
instance?  If I open a workbook attachment, or a workbook on my
desktop ....  I'd like it in a totally seperated workbook, not
'windowed' in a currently open workbook.

excel to get data from an access database
I need excel to get data from an access database similar to vlookup function from an excel table. In order to have only specific records copied to your Excel file, the query needs to include selection criteria (and sort order if necessary). Otherwise, all records get copied and you then need to create lookup formulas or use filters to restrict the set of record. If you are not familiar with Access queries, have someone who is create one for you as a stored query object in the database file. You can then use the Data>Import (Get) External Data and choose the query as your record sour...

What is an addin (in Excel) and how can we create one?
Hi, I want to know what an excel addin is and how to create an excel addin (not the method Save as .xla) for say, to check the occurances of an item. In Col A, several items are listed like item1, item2, item3 etc upto item10. Some items repeat more than once. Can an addin be created to check the no. of occurances of AN item in this list? If so how> Thank You Hi Shajueasow, See: http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut03.htm for a tutorial. --- Regards, Norman "shajueasow" <shajueasow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DC9E994-13FE-4FFA-957E-10...

New Certificate problems
Our scenario We have been running with SBS 2003 for several years and our Certificate is pop3.olddomainname.co.uk (where our old domain name is now changing) For one reason or another, we've never got it qualified to DNS,, and with only 2 of us accessing OWA, we just use https://<external_IP>/exchange and our PDA's could get email OK on the move. Now, we have built a linux box to run the support part of our website, we have a new external domain, so we got support.newdomainname.co.uk added to DNS We need the PDA/iPhone to use SSL so that they and OWA use the 443 po...

Excel 2000 question.
Hello, Group: I am looking to run a macro that pauses for input. For example to bend metal, I would like to have the macro ask for number of bends, then continue in the computation. Thanks, --tj Dim numBends As Long On Error Resume Next numBends = InputBox("Number of bends") On Error GoTo 0 If numBends > 0 Then 'rest of code End If -- __________________________________ HTH Bob <techjohnny@gmail.com> wrote in message news:66a3c982-1496-4d73-8284-0a630e498706@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > Hello, Group: > > I am looking ...

Publisher 2000

Perpetually new messages
Hello, One of the people I work with has a weird problem. Every time she checks her messages, the ones currently in her inbox show up as new. They appear to be downloaded a second time, and then the duplicates disappear, leaving the new items only. I think that the mailbox may be corrupted because there the mailbox has some extra numbers appended to it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Jeff ...

excel as a database #2
Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? Phill Yes 32,767 characters, approx 1,024 visible in the cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Phill" <phill.hudson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:ccesl0$g3u$1@titan.btinternet.com... > Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? > > Phill > > Phill, A cell can hold 32K characters, but only about 1K will be visible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MV...

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

Adding a new Interface in MS CRM
Hi, I don't want to use the "Add Lead" form to create a lead. I have developed my own page for this using the MS CRM APIs. But I have to change the linked page of "Leads" link in the left menu ( Sales) and point to my custom page. How can I do this? Thanks, -Jaison Well this is a little different as you will have to recreate the outer shell of CRM. We did this using the ASP.NET controls from Infragistics for one of our clients. Sean "Jaison" <jaison@netgalactic.com> wrote in message news:OCDt3caaEHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > >...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

Excel 2000 => upgraded to 2003 and Bar Chart Pattern disappeared
I have a bar chart composed of two bars each with a stacked series of bars. For one of my bars one of the stacked points was a pattern fill (slashes). Since my upgrade to Office 2003 the pattern fill for this one stacked bar has disappeared. I've upgraded to Office SP2 and still cannot set my fill pattern. I have had to set the fill to color white until I can get this pattern back. I have noticed that the Sample preview pane is not set when I select the pattern fill, gradient fill, etc. Is this a known problem? And is there a work around? Thanks, Donna L Bruce ...

EXCEL Files open Slow

How to display an object name in the Name Box in Excel 2007?
Hello: In Excel 2003, if I select a series in a graph, the Name Box shows the name of the series and the formula box shows the data range. However, in Excel 2007, it does not show anything in the Name Box. Is there an option to make it display? I scanned the Excel Options, but did not see any. Perhaps I miss it? Thanks, Q They forgot how useful that was. It was also visible in 2003 in the Chart toolbar. The selected chart element is visible in the top left control in the last two chart tools ribbon tabs. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltier...