only returning cells with Text in it

Hi,

I have a column that returns some text, if something else is true.  Now
what I want to do is take only the cells in that column and list them
on another sheet.

The trick is, that ill need to do this with a frmula, since it will be
a hosted template and the user wont be able to use excel functions like
sort, etc.

so, if I have 10 cells and 3 of them have test in them, I want to show
only the text in those 3 cells in another sheet.

I hope that makes sense....

Thanks for your help....

0
vennard (1)
8/29/2005 3:12:03 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Assuming that Sheet1!A1:A10 contains your data, enter the following
formula in Sheet2!A1 and copy down:

=IF(ROWS($A$1:A1)<=COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10,"?*"),INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1
0,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10<>"",ROW(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10)-ROW(Sheet1!$A$1)+
1),ROWS($A$1:A1))),"")

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

Hope this helps!

In article <1125328323.700828.61290@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
 vennard@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a column that returns some text, if something else is true.  Now
> what I want to do is take only the cells in that column and list them
> on another sheet.
>
> The trick is, that ill need to do this with a frmula, since it will be
> a hosted template and the user wont be able to use excel functions like
> sort, etc.
>

> so, if I have 10 cells and 3 of them have test in them, I want to show
> only the text in those 3 cells in another sheet.
>
> I hope that makes sense....
>
> Thanks for your help....
0
domenic22 (716)

How do I count the number of cells
I have several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data. All the columns are labled Odd or Even In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that that coulmn has data in it The last row belows shows what the answer should be Total Total Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even Odd 5 1 2 ????? ????? 1 7 6 3 ????? ????? 5 1 2 ????? ????? 1 2 9 3 1 3 PLease help =COUNTA() - will count the number of non blank cells. In the brackets place the range name (for example A1:A2). Please hit Yes if my comments have helped. Thanks. &...

Customer Returns
I'd like to know if there someone has written a RMS report that shows the customer account number, customer's name (last, first), and other customer statistics that INCLUDE pieces purchased and pieces returned. Or, if someone with more knowledge of SQL would care to share their coding expertise to accomplish the same, it would be appreciated. ...

Dynamic unlock a cell (under condition)
Hello guys, lets see if anyone could help me out on how to do this: I have a sheet protected with a password, the reason of this (you know) is that there are some cells that are locked (to not see their formulas or 'cause I don't want them to be changed under any circustances). This is working fine, but now I have the need of some cells (two ranges actually, these are E7:E56 & N7:N56) that they come locked by default but under certain conditions I would need them to get unlocked. Taking an E7 as example, let's say that depending on what we have in B7 this E7 will chang...

Comments in Cells
Is there a way to show the comments against a cell when printing a worksheet out? Regards Ric You can print the comments as they display on the worksheet, or at the end of the worksheet. There are instructions in Excel's Help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments01.html#Printing Ric wrote: > Is there a way to show the comments against a cell when printing a worksheet > out? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html "Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message news:407D1E25.407...

Convert VLOOKUP to absolute cell reference
My spreadsheet has a VLOOKUP through 44,000 rows that only needed to be performed once. The relevant data is in the VLOOKUP cells as I want them and the lookup values will never change. As long as I keep the other worksheet intact, can I convert the VLOOKUP formulas to absolute references? My spreadsheet is running very slow with the VLOOKUP in place, so I'm trying to speed things up. Would this idea work? Hi Rich, You can try to convert all the formulas as values by using copy and paste special values. also you can try to go to options calculation and change the options to manu...

Remove Cell Auto-Format (General) on Paste / Replace
Good morning all, Just curious if this is able to be done. I have a series o spreadsheets, all of them do different things, but the common factor i that I paste claim numbers into them. The problem is, Excel seems t think our claim numbers are dates. (Example. 2146/04 or 04/262 (different formats for different sections). Now, I have formatted AL cells on these spreadsheets as text. (Ctrl-A, Format-Cells-Text However, when pasting, Excel overrides whatever you've got, and choose it's own way to paste data. The other problem is with Find-Replace or Find-Replace All. A lot o the time, ...

Format cells unavailable
I am assisting a customer running Word 2000 on a Windows 2000 system. He has a spread sheet that will not allow him to do a format > cells on the header row and a few rows below. We can select the colum and this option works but nothing happens when using this option for an individual cell. I don't think these items are protected, is there any way I can be sure? I tried selecting all of the columns and unlocked the cells and this did not help. Can anyone think of any reason why format cells would not be available on this sheet? TIA George Tools, Protection. If the sheet's ...

Hi, I got Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 in Native Mode and when I receive bad mail the response is made from postmaster@mydomain.com but the return-path field is blank. With some anti-spam filter this Email is Junk. Return-Path: <> Anybody know how to specifeid a return-path to the NDR mail? _____________ Thank you Sebastien On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:48:04 -0800, "Sebas" <Sebas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I got Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 in Native Mode and when I receive >bad mail the response is made from postmaster@mydomain.c...

Use tiltle in a cell
Is there a way to use the title of the spreadsheet as a cell value? I asked this before in another topic, but there was no reply. My sheet get's it's title from a database and is variable. So if i can use the title i can strip several characters from the title and use this. So I want to retrieve the title of the spreadsheet and use this in a cell. Thanks! The name of a worksheet can be extracted to a cell with: =MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from em...

Report for Returns
Anyone know a why to report on frequency of customer returns -- so we can see if any customers are making habit of this? Thanks and regards, Rich hitman, Try running a detailed sales report filtered to only negative sales displayed. Good luck, Matt "hitman" <hitman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B3EE780-2655-45B4-B3C6-1F5D35FFA2A7@microsoft.com... > Anyone know a why to report on frequency of customer returns -- so we can > see > if any customers are making habit of this? > > Thanks and regards, > > Rich ...

Move cell info and info in range of cells on new entry
I would like to enter info into exsiting cell and when I hit enter the existing info would move down one row. B C D E 5 Enter new info her existing info moves down 6 7 Thanks for the help. -- JoAnn You could use a worksheet_change event macro within your sheet module to do this when you enter a value into the last column of the existing row. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "abc" <abc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8378874C-D0D0-4E73-98F6-F48E61B60898@microsoft.com......

displaying a comment only when the cell is selected
I'd like to insert a comment in a certain cell, so that when that cell is selected by a user, the comment is then displayed. I know this must be possible, but I haven't been able to figure it out.... I can show or hide comments in various combinations, but can't find a way to hide the comment UNTIL the cell is selected, and then display it. How do I do this please?! Thanks Hi! Use Data Validation. Select the cell Goto Data>Validation Select the Input message tab Type in your message OK out The message will only be displayed when that cell is selected. (no mouse ov...

Function In A Text Box
Hi, I am trying to put a concatenate function in a text box. The error message is as follows: The text you have entered is not a valid reference or defined name. I want to concatenate some text with a number from the cell, A2. Any ideas would greatly appreciated. Regards Tubbsy -- tubbsy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tubbsy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24743 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=388332 Its not a perfect solution but you could perform the concat...

Site for SOP Returns
Is it possible to have a different default Site ID for Returns than Standard Orders? Yes. You must make sure to change the site when performing a Return Transaction. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Everton Raymond" wrote: > Is it possible to have a different default Site ID for Returns than Standard > Orders? Sorry, I did not see the word "default" in your post until after I r...

Merge/consolidate text cells based on unique keys ?
Hi all. I hope someone can help me out. I have an Excel worksheet with 2 columns: 'Client #' and 'Invoice #'. Every time the accounting dept. generates an invoice, a new row is added in this worksheet. Obviously this is chronological not per Client #. But for the sake of simplicity, let's assume the worksheet is already sorted by Client #, like so: A B Client # Invoice # 231 5929 231 4358 231 2185 231 6234 464 1166 464 1264 464 3432 464 1720 464 9747 791 1133 791 4930 791 5496 791 6291 989 8681 989 3023 989 7935 989 8809 989 8873 My goal is to achieve...

Query regarding A,B,C char. width values returned in 16-bit and 32-bit OS
I am trying to retrieve individual character widths of a string (from a TrueType font) and I tried using GetCharWidth (which weirdly works for TrueType fonts too tho' MSDN says otherwise) and/or GetCharABCWidths to retrieve the A,B and C spacings. Please note that I have selected the TrueType font (hFont) into the Device Context (hDC). I used GetCharABCWidths. Problem is this: GetCharABCWidths returns correct A,B and C widths in Win 98 and incorrect (much lesser A,B and C widths such that the characters OVERLAP) in other 32-bit OS (NT, XP). The effect is seen across all TrueType fonts, th...

Restrict memo field to size of text box
Hi, I have a form with a text box that gets data from a memo field in a table. As the user enters data in the text box I want the input to be restricted to the size of the text box. Right now as the user types, once the box is full the data scrolls up. Is there a way to make input stop once the box is full? Thanks in advance, Phil Without a fixed width font like Courier New, you really can't easily tell when the textbox is full. If you use a fixed font, you might try something like this (aircode): Private Sub txtMyMemo_Change() ' 150 or whatever the number of ch...

Linking Dialog box content with cells in "regular" sheet
How to link data in Edit box (from Dialog caption) with exact cells in "regulal" Sheets? Or is there another way to link exact content from Dialog sheet to normal sheet? For example, if I have number 200 in Dialog, I need that exact number 200 on another ("regular") sheet to preform calculations with it. thnx ...

Returning the Beginning of the week
Returning the beginning of the week. e.g. if the date == 02/03/04 (Friday 2nd March 2004) the beginning week for that date == 01/03/04 (Thursday 1st March 2004) Hows does one go about achieving this? Regards -- Rizitsu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Rizitsu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15840 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=314968 This formula will take a date in cell A1 and give the start of the wee in B1 * assumes that monday is the start of the week, so i...

return
Capability of the system to automatically change the status of the PO to change order, and add line items that have been returned. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.ms...

Replace empty cell with cell on right
Hi all I wish I could write macros!! I have a spreadsheet of names and addresses (name, add1, add2, add3, add4, add5). I want to mailmerge them but some add2s are empty, because whoever typed the data in put the next line in add3, and some add3s are empty because they used add4, and some add4s are empty etc etc This means that the mailmerge (into Publisher - yuk!) puts blank lines into the address. I would like (please!) a macro that, if I select the range add1-add5, will squash the details to the left - so all of the empty cells are on the right! Thanks. -- Andy. Good news - you don&#...

Copy Cells
Hi all I have a spreadsheet which has lots of calls logged on it. Each call is logged by a person. I have a tab for each person. What i need to do is each persons tab needs to pick up the information for that person (pick it out of the main sheet which has everyones call on it). So any cell in column 'A' with the name 'Joes Bloggs' needs to copy accross to tab 'Joe Bloggs' along with the rest of the information on that line. Hope this makes sense, if you dont understand reply with a question. Thanks in advance Darren --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum...

Protecting Cells #4
I want to protect a few cells in a worksheet - not the whole worksheet. How do I do it? Sorry, you have to protect the whole worksheet, then UNprotect all of the cells except those that you wish to secure. Alternative may be to provide data validation on the cells that you wish to protect, but this is not particularly secure (copy/paste will override, for example). For that matter, nothing is secure, I guess. "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23C06FEE-5808-49CF-A329-42C380B51D03@microsoft.com... > I want to protect a few cells in a worksheet ...

Return
When returning an item, can you return the item by selecting the matrix rather than the individual item and changing the quantity to -1? Hi KIm, Normally this won't work as it works in sale where for each matrix type you can put the qunatites. HOWEVER when you select the matrix item it bring the matrix window but allow only one item at a time to be returned and make the -1 qty automatically in return document type. It work but one by one. Regards Akber "Kim" wrote: > When returning an item, can you return the item by selecting the matrix > rather than the individua...

view of cell contents changes to #### when cursor leaves cell, ev.
In Excel, view of cell contents shifts to ###### when cursor leaves cell, even when auto-fit, wrap text, shrink to fit, have been tried, and even when row and column have been enlarged to allow adequate room. I found the earlier posts (sorry not to have scanned) and the problem was not about size but about Number. When I selected "general" under "format cells", the text reappeared as entered. Thank you to earlier questors! "OTadjprof" wrote: > In Excel, view of cell contents shifts to ###### when cursor leaves cell, > even when auto-fit, wrap text...