Odd question re: workbook file sizes.

I've been tracking the performance of two IRA accounts for almost a year
now. The number of stocks is almost identical in each account. I created a
set of Excel workbooks for  each account: Acct 1-Q1 and 2. and Acct 2-Q1 and
2. are complete. They have the same number of pages and are the same
approximate size in kb. I'm still adding to the next two workbooks Acct 1-Q3
and 4 and Acct 2- Q3 and 4, but again they have the same number of pages.
I'm just cut and pasting into blank worksheets data from a CSV spreadsheet I
download from Fidelity. I just happened to notice the size in kb for the
Acct 1 workbook is over 5 times larger than the second account although they
have the identical number of worksheets and similar number of data points.
It's got me scratching my head. Hope this isn't too petty but little things
like that bug me. I should have been an engineer. Does anyone have any idea
why the filesizes are so different?

0
acraper (1)
11/5/2006 10:40:27 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Seems that sometimes, when you add/delete information in a woorkbook,
the size of the Information is still there, a way to "clean" is to copy
everything to a new file/worksheet, that often seem to reduse the size,
but i will not garante it..

For-next loop question
I have a for-next loop, within which I want to check to see if a certain condition is true. If it is true, I want to skip the rest that particular iteration and move on to the next one in the loop. I tried code that looked like the following, but it just gave me a "next without for" error: For x = 1 to 11 If condition = true then next x End if Next x I want to do this without using a GoTo statement. Any suggestions? There is no built in "Skip to next" function the only loop command available is Exit For, which is not what you want....

Formula question #2
how do i make a formula so that a specific cells continuosly accumulates every time another amount on a different cell is entered. eg: on a payroll sheet, the year to date field What do you want to accumulate the number of entries [use the =Count(range) or =counta(range)function], or the value of the entries [use the =sum(range( function)] ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi zerep, Check here for info: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator B...

entourage continually crashes, database size >10GB
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop since my database has grown larger than 6GB (now >10GB), entourage crashes several times a day - seemingly without reason. unlike outlook, where i can move messages out of the inbox .pst into a separate filed messages .pst, entourage does not appear to have this functionality. <br><br>this is frustrating as i wind up wasting huge amounts of time using the glacially sloooooow database utility to verify/compress/rebuild the database over and over again - only to have the same t...

CSplitterWnd questions,
When my program starts, only one view of the four splitter window shows. I have to manually drag the bars to induce the other 3. My question is: how do I readjust the size of each splitter window in code? Also, what method do I use to get a HWND (or CWnd) to each subdivided window? vsgdp wrote: > When my program starts, only one view of the four splitter window shows. I > have to manually drag the bars to induce the other 3. My question is: how > do I readjust the size of each splitter window in code? Also, what method > do I use to get a HWND (or CWnd) to each subdi...

Saving question
How do I get a macro to create a new folder and save 3 different files into it. I can get the autosave to work but not quite sure on how to save into a new directory or even if you can??\ Thanks again Greg actually create a macro for this and you can modify it as vba Greg B <browshop@ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:d069ci$ntc$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > How do I get a macro to create a new folder and save 3 different files into > it. > > I can get the autosave to work but not quite sure on how to save into a new > directory or even if you can??\ > > Thanks ag...

Re: Out of Office Assistance Issue
It is working for both internal and external users. The user that is experiencing the problem does not have any PST files and is accessing her mailbox located on the Exchange box. "Ben M. Schorr - MVP" <bens@bogusaddress.mvp> wrote in message news:op.st6v4zu16r4cx1@bms-tablet2.scgab.com... > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:13:14 -1000, Vic <western.cu@gmail.com> wrote: > > Does it not work for internal or external users? Is the user using their > mailbox or a PST file for their default data store? > > >> The out of office assistant works for all users ...

A _very_ basic question about WM_TIMER and threading
Hi, If I create a timer by calling CWnd::SetTimer() (e.g. in my CView::OnInitialUpdate()) why do I need to deal with re-entrancy issues in the corresponding OnTimer() handler? I thought that all calls to OnTimer() handlers execute on the same thread (main GUI thread?). How is it possible then for the handler to be called while the thread is already executing the handler? I've run into this problem recently while debugging my app. I'd welcome any pointers and/or explanations. Thanks. andrew wrote: > Hi, > > If I create a timer by calling CWnd::SetTimer() (e.g. in...

questions of subclassing
hi all I derieved a button class called cmybutton, I want to replace all button in my application with cmybutton so I use subclass but the question is, if the button is created by my resource templates, it works, but failed in other resource templates such as Message Boxs' buttons. That is, if I use AfxmessageBox to display a dialog box, the buttons in the dialog didn't display it seems the subclassing doesn't work what can I do many thanks That's because you cannot subclass messagebox buttons. Subclassing in MFC works only because it is a fiction maintained by MFC ...

Can't save file in network or hard disk
Receive new xp last week and running excel 2000. The file has 12 tabs and lots of data linking between tabs. Sporadically, I cannot save the file back on the network, cannot save under another name, and cannot even save on the c:drive. The message is "xxx.xls cannot be accessed. The file may be read only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding". The network is not down and I am not disconnected from the network. I do not encounter this problem with the old nt. Other files have less tabs and less c...

a few questions.
I am new to this. I wok in an environment with SAP and GP. And I have an IT background. What does the process of 'mapping the SAP chart of Accounts to GP Chart of accouts entail"? Once this is done, we do an upload from SAP to great plains, xactly what happens in this "upload". It appears that you are in the process of migrating to Great Plains. Do you plan to maintain your chart of accounts? Great Plains allows for up to 66 characters divided into a maximum of 10 segments. If you look at your SAP account structure, it is important to know that Great Plains requires al...

Configuration questions
Got some basic configuration questions... I'm using a newer version of Visio in the client's office than I have on my own machine so there've been some changes since the last time I wandered into some differences that are annoying me. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks. Where is the setting to prevent Visio from displaying the Template Help pane whenever I start a new drawing? I learned how to create a basic diagram ages ago so I really don't need that help and it's annoying to have to close it every time. I'd also like to either alter the default ...

Simple question!
Hi, how can i verify wether I have exchange 2000 standard installed on my server or exchange 2000 enterprise Thanks-Rob Hi Rob Open the properties for your server via Exchange System Manager, if you see a checkbox on the General tab "This is a front-end server" you are running Enterprise, if you dont see this checkbox on the General tab your running Standard. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Rob" <rob@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:41c1d017$1@news.sentex.net... > ...

Median question
Hi Guys, I am working on a median formula as follows =MEDIAN(IF(OR(Data!$D$2:$D$29998=MCalcs!$A$11,Data!$D$2:$D$29998=$A$12),(IF(Data!$F$2:$F$29998>=MCalcs!B$7,(IF(Data!$F$2:$F$29998<=MCalcs!B$8,Data!$E$2:$E$29998))))))I have 10 product codes with monthly sales data, The worksheet Data whichstores my sales data, MCalcs is my median calulations worksheet. Thespreadsheet is pretty big storing 3 years worth of sales data, I willprobably go up to 5 years in total.What I am trying to do is work out a median of a group of numbers based onif it matches 2 product codes using this part of the ...

xy scatter plot question
I have xy scatter plot using dates for x axis. I change the min and max on the x axis weekly. The problem is that the lines are "bleeding" over the y axis. How do I make the lines go to the edge of the y axis but not over? (make sense?). thanks I suspect that's how some MS programmer decided to indicate "there's data back there that I cannot show." One way to 'fix' this would be to add a rectangle to the chart from the Drawing toolbar and position it properly. Kind of a pain but it works. Another option would be to set the min. x value equal to...

WIndows 2000 SBS
I ahve a failing SBS 2000 and another windows 2003 domain conmtroller in my environment. I need to take some desperate measures to get this thing back on it's feet again and in the meantime I have to come up with a plan to get my users back up and running properly... Do you know if I can technically install the Exchange 2000 version that comes on the SBS 2000 cd's onto a standard windows 2000 server?? If so, I could set up another server with win2K standard and get excahgne running on it - then in the meantime rebuild my SBS or upgrade it. I realize this is likely an...

Word excel questions
Hi, I have 3 windows Xp home edition sp2 pc's. Unfortunetly, none of them came with Microsoft Word. The pc's did come with Word perfect 10 by Corel. My teen has to be away from school for several days. In her computer class, they use word and will be doing some Excel things. She will do some make ups at home. Is it possible to get Word w/excell for free? Or maybe a trial version for free until she is able to return to school? I told the teacher all this and mentioned that there may be a trial version online. Any tips would be great. thanks in advance -- Thanks so very much fo...

question for all you gurus...
hi, I'm trying to get a formula but I'm not sure how to do it. I'm trying to get the average of a set of numbers. I have the formula set up as: =sum(H7:H354)/ and this is where I get stuck.. How can I tell excel to divide this sum by the number of entries I have? it needs to be flexible enough to know adjust the "n" if I were to add more cells. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Confused Man =AVERAGE(H7:H354) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "confused man" <bfbj@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:SP2dnQXU4c4P7bfdRVn-vg@adelphia.com......

Odd date format
In Column A I need to format a date, without dashes or slashes, in this way: yymmdd In Column B I need Excel to recognize it as a date, in that order and convert it to a regular date such as: mm/dd/yy Is there any way of doing this? It's driving me crazy. Surely there has to be a way. TIA! Cindy Cindy Hi Cindy, Can be done, but a lot simpler is to do it the other way around: Enter the date in Column A as mm/dd/yy In column B: =A1, Format>Cells>Custom, in the Type box, enter yymmdd If you really need it otherwise: post again! -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP -...

MATCH within INDEX question
Hello, In a previous thread I got a nice solution to a lookup problem I ha with the INDEX/MATCH functions. I would like to learn exactly what the formula does so I understand i completely rather than just copy it in the future. I understand all apects of the following formula except for one: What is the "1" for in "MATCH(1,"? Thank you for any responses. Ron Hekier (Portion from previous thread follows) --------------------------------------- Hi try the following array formula (entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER): =INDEX('sheet2'!$E$1:$E$100,MATCH(1,('sheet2&#...

Access 2007 file format detection through DAO?
Hi all! Not long ago I created a tiny EXE that scans files in a folder and detects the format of the files for some inventory and data consolidation. It works fine for mdb files (2000, 2002, 2003). But it cannot detect Access 2007 format. The EXE is written in Visual Basic 6 using DAO3.6. Below is the code I use, but whenever I encounter an Access 2007 (accdb) it fails at the first line ("3343: Unrecognized database format"). Is there any updates for DAO or any other way I can gather some basic database information from the file? Thanks! Set db = DAO.OpenDatabase(MyFilePathn...

xsd.exe bug or odd xsd file
I was given a couple of XSD files so that I could generate a client that targeted a SOAP/RPC web service. One of the XSDs includes a definition of an element that is a sequence of row elements, which in turn is defined as a sequence of column elements. The CS class file generated defines the sequence of row elements "rows as column() ()" rather than "row() As row". This seems to give trouble to XmlSerializer. With XmlSerializerPreCompiler I was able to narrow the problem down and guess at the problem. I made the change that I indicated above because this seems...

Newbie (/ possible convert) Questions
Hi, I'm a current windows/pc user looking into the new iMac G5. I've got a few basic questions to help me decide if I should make the switch: Are there any compatibility issues between Windows Office (including older versions) and Microsoft OfficeMac 2004? The iMac G5 runs Panther OS, does Windows Office Mac 2004 take advantage of the 64bit processing? How do users find the upgrade path of software etc for Mac app's? Is it good or are you hung out to dry at every OS or hardware upgrade/release? I am using the usual word and excel apps and some video editing now and then, and ...

VCF file and the Category field
I have a VBScript that I created to take fields from a web page and create a VCF file from those fields. I have it working correctly and saving the file as I need it to do, but I'm looking to add in the Category field to my VCF file. I've been looking around but haven't found anything that will let me do this. Can this even be done? This is my vcard information: BEGIN:VCARD VERSION:2.1 N:Someguy;firstname; FN:firstname someguy ORG:microsoft TITLE:janitor TEL;WORK;VOICE:(800) 273-0876 ADR;WORK:;;123 anywhere st.;anytown;MI;93827;United States of America LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUO...

Question about query
Hi, Im trying to create a querie to search the contacts which is, for example, working in the branch "insurance". The problem is that when you select for your search the contacts, you cant select the attributes of the account, where the branch is specified. Is there a way, without the use of add-on's and the SDK, where you can select the attributes from account for a search in the contacts? I know there's a add-on where it is possible to do it (c360 searchpac), but it costs, of course, money. I hope I made my problem clear and that someone knows how to exterminate ...

outlook file backup
when ever outlook wants to do a backup I keep getting the message that it cannot because another process has backed up a portion of the file... can someone please tell me what this means and what I can do about it so that I can successfully run a back up of outlook files? thanks Outlook never "wants" to do a backup. It's not part of the program. Are you running some other software that wants to do a backup? If so, which one? The error message means Outlook has not closed completely so the data file remains locked. I know of no backup programs I would trust to back ...