Odd date format

In Column A I need to format a date, without dashes or slashes, in this way:
yymmdd

In Column B I need Excel to recognize it as a date, in that order and
convert it to a regular date such as:
mm/dd/yy

Is there any way of doing this? It's driving me crazy. Surely there has to
be a way.

TIA!

Cindy

Cindy

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Cindy,

Can be done, but a lot simpler is to do it the other way around:

Enter the date in Column A as mm/dd/yy
In column B: =A1, Format>Cells>Custom, in the Type box, enter yymmdd

If you really need it otherwise: post again!

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"CindyH" <hcpcholden@nospam.com> wrote in message
> In Column A I need to format a date, without dashes or slashes, in this
> way:
> yymmdd
>
> In Column B I need Excel to recognize it as a date, in that order and
> convert it to a regular date such as:
> mm/dd/yy
>
> Is there any way of doing this? It's driving me crazy. Surely there has to
> be a way.
>
> TIA!
>
> Cindy
>
> Cindy

0
nicolaus (2022)
10/7/2004 6:54:24 PM
column a - format, cells, number, custom and enter yymmdd
column b - format cells, date and select mm/dd/y

--
duan
duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1162

one way

relax  :)

format the A column as text

enter your  6 digit number in A1

in B1 enter =(MID(A1,3,2)&"/"&RIGHT(A1,2)&"/"&LEFT(A1,2))

copy down

Regards
Bill K

"CindyH" <hcpcholden@nospam.com> wrote in message
> In Column A I need to format a date, without dashes or slashes, in this
> way:
> yymmdd
>
> In Column B I need Excel to recognize it as a date, in that order and
> convert it to a regular date such as:
> mm/dd/yy
>
> Is there any way of doing this? It's driving me crazy. Surely there has to
> be a way.
>
> TIA!
>
> Cindy
>
> Cindy

How do I merge from Excel into Word doc and retain formatting?
I'm using mailmerge to merge currency numbers from Excel into Word docs. Seems to work fine with one exception, the dollar sign and the comma does not merge. Merging from cells with formulas. solution? Works fine for me, what results do you get and what do you expect -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5260EEDC-0B80-40C7-AC64-08627C78ED2D@microsoft.com... > I'm using mailmerge to merge currency numbers from Excel into Word docs. > Seems to work fine with one exception, the dollar sign and the comma does ...

Converting text to Rich Text Format
If I start with a set of text strings where each text string is associated with a LOGFONT and COLORREF (for its foreground color), how do I convert this to Rich Text Format? You have to read about the Rich Text Format syntax. Or a simple way, format the text you want in WordPad and write it out, then look at what got written and replicate it. joe On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:30:32 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote: >If I start with a set of text strings where each text string is associated with >a LOGFONT and COLORREF (for its foreground color), ho...

can I merge birth dates on calendars
i'd like to print candars yearly for my family with all birthdays included, but without re-typing them ...

formats for emailing worksheet
When I send out an email of a worksheet from within Excel 2003 I lose all the formating. How can I fix this? Thanks, Craig Copy the sheet to a new workbook and attach the workbook as a file -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Craig" <stonecpa@comcast.net> wrote in message news:pbudnT4hiYRCH_benZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@comcast.com... > When I send out an email of a worksheet from within Excel 2003 I lose all > the formating. How can I fix this? > > Thanks, > > Craig > > ...

date validation
On SOP Order Entry date expansion a date validation is required on the Requested Ship Date ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e2bb2645-1125-496c-9c65-4da2235e...

Odd date format
In Column A I need to format a date, without dashes or slashes, in this way: yymmdd In Column B I need Excel to recognize it as a date, in that order and convert it to a regular date such as: mm/dd/yy Is there any way of doing this? It's driving me crazy. Surely there has to be a way. TIA! Cindy Cindy Hi Cindy, Can be done, but a lot simpler is to do it the other way around: Enter the date in Column A as mm/dd/yy In column B: =A1, Format>Cells>Custom, in the Type box, enter yymmdd If you really need it otherwise: post again! -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP -...

System Date
Hi, getting the date by VBA/Excel function "date()" in my English Excel I expect to receive "/" drviding month from day and year. That, I belive, is true in an American English environment. Can be implied same divider in the British English environment, or is it there for exampel "-"? I need this info to be able to distinguish between a German and an English environment. Possibly you know an even more dependable language-indicator in MS Office than the date!? Regards Peter On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:56:05 +0100, "Peter Ostermann" <peter-ostermann@...

Print to file: What format?
Hello, When a user checks the "Print to file" radio button in a print dialog, in what format will the file be and how can it be used? Thanks, John To quote an MSDN article: "The Print To File feature can come in handy if the printer on which you ultimately want to print your document isn't attached to your system. For example, you might be sending the final document to a service bureau to be printed on a high-resolution printer. When you use this feature, you can save the file in a special format that contains raw printer data specific to the selected printer. When you s...

calculate number of months from date entry
What's the best way to enter dates, so that I can have Excel calculate the number of months between the two dates and what's the best function to use for calculating the number of months? Thanks for any suggestions. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm >-----Original Message----- >What's the best way to enter dates, so that I can have Excel calculate the >number of months between the two dates and what's the best function to use >for calculating the number of months? > >Thanks for any suggestions. >. > Hi, thanks for the lead. I f...

Access 2007 file format detection through DAO?
Hi all! Not long ago I created a tiny EXE that scans files in a folder and detects the format of the files for some inventory and data consolidation. It works fine for mdb files (2000, 2002, 2003). But it cannot detect Access 2007 format. The EXE is written in Visual Basic 6 using DAO3.6. Below is the code I use, but whenever I encounter an Access 2007 (accdb) it fails at the first line ("3343: Unrecognized database format"). Is there any updates for DAO or any other way I can gather some basic database information from the file? Thanks! Set db = DAO.OpenDatabase(MyFilePathn...

Conditional Formatting
I have a spreadsheet date formatted cell(s). I would like to have users apply a bold font (or some other formatting change)to that cell to indicate if the date has been met. Can I use conditional formatting to sense that change in condition, and use it to drive conditonal formatting in another cell through some more conventional application? A traditional way might be to track start and complete dates, and compare the two. However, I am looking for techniques to condense the spreadsheet. Maybe you could have the user put something in a column in the same row (an X in column A???). Then u...

xsd.exe bug or odd xsd file
I was given a couple of XSD files so that I could generate a client that targeted a SOAP/RPC web service. One of the XSDs includes a definition of an element that is a sequence of row elements, which in turn is defined as a sequence of column elements. The CS class file generated defines the sequence of row elements "rows as column() ()" rather than "row() As row". This seems to give trouble to XmlSerializer. With XmlSerializerPreCompiler I was able to narrow the problem down and guess at the problem. I made the change that I indicated above because this seems...

Intelligent Message Filter behaves very odd
I have the IMF that comes with Exchange 2003 sp2 installed and working very well, (I never had IMF v1 installed ) the only issue I have is when I set up my custom thresholds and actions under "Gateway blocking configuration" they are changed by it self to defaults the next day and I have to be change them back to my desire settings everyday. Does someone know how to fix this? or is there any registry key or setting in AD where to set this up? I've read the IMF guide but I found nothing about this. I have 2 exchange back-end servers and 1 front-end server, I also have tried ...

I can only see the date of my emails, not the time
I recently changed something in the way the date and time is displayed on new emails. I used to be able to see the exact time an email was received, but now it only shows the date. How do I see the time again? did you change the long date settings in windows or edit the field display in outlook (r-click on the field names and choose custom, format columns) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://w...

Visio 2003 labels in pdf format
When I PDF a multipage visio 2003 cross functional flowchart, the labels to the left of the band become distorted in PDF format. - Any clues? "mf" <mf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:648C89C6-607B-4735-87E0-213317346E7F@microsoft.com... > When I PDF a multipage visio 2003 cross functional flowchart, the labels to > the left of the band become distorted in PDF format. - Any clues? Had that happen with Distiller 5 for any rotated text. Ok with ver 6. On Ver 5 over XP Pro, I played with the resolution and got good results. Over 2000 Pro, couldn't c...

Message box" too many different cell formats"
Everytime I want to format a cell (cells) such as changing the font format or making boxes, always come out the above subject message box. FYI my file size is approx. 5700 kb containing +/- 32 sheets. Thanks & regards, Hans Hi Hans! Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213904 for information and solutions to this problem. Best regards Stefan H�gglund Microsoft "Hanotto" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:013c01c48c1c$8ae5b7a0$3501280a@phx.gbl... > Everytime I want to format a cell (cells) such as changing > the font forma...

Odd Issue
Exchange 2003 on native 2003 AD. I am really baffled. I have a distribution group called school admin. It has 2 users in it, Jodi and Mark. When someone (anyone) makes a calander event and adds School Admin to the attendies, Jodi gets the request, Mark does not. Here's the wierd part. Beth and Robyn, are not on the DL, are not connected to that school. Beth get the invitation and whoever sent the invite gets a NDR about Robyn. I have deleted the DL and recreated it. I have looked at Jodi and Marks deligation and it's clean. Where else can I look? Thanks, Fred That ...

Holiday Dates in Footer
Hello, This is for Access 2003. I have a query, qrySpecialDays, and I would like to get a list of dates to print in the footer section of the report. Currently I have a textbox in the Page Footer that is bound to the dteSpec fieldname of the query. When I preview the report only the 1st date from the query results is displayed. What I want displayed is as follows. Monday, May 24, 2010 Friday, July 1, 2010 Friday, August 27, 2010 Is it possible to have a list of all dates displayed in the footer? -- Regards, Chris To do what you want you would need to put a SUB-Report...

Opening an old Word document, date changed to current date
When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to the current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. I am using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I can see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the file, but I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date last modified for the file. Press Alt+F9 to toggle the field code display and edit the DATE field code to read CREATEDATE. Then Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update. The date displayed will be the date th...

formula for cycle time from date -to-date w/o weekend included
I am tracking number of days between two date points with the =L933-K933 formula. With formula it give the total days. K933 | L933 | days 10/1/03 | 10/6/03 | 5 With this example, it includes the weekend in the formula. Is there a way to tell my formula to only include business days? Steve Steve, Lookup NETWORKDAYS in help. It's part of the Analysis Toolpak addin, so you will need to install that. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Steve" <feelin_irie2001@yahoo...

Imported Date Format
I have imported data from an accounting program and the date format is 20070101 for January 1, 2007. I have looked at various sites that would use Left(),Mid(),Right() to break the numbers and then put them back into 2007/01/01 but was wondering if anyone had a simpler solution. Thanks, Lee Coleman =DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MID(A1,5,2),RIGHT(A1,2)) Look familiar? "Lee" wrote: > I have imported data from an accounting program and the date format is > 20070101 for January 1, 2007. I have looked at various sites that would use > Left(),Mid(),Right() to break the numbers and ...

Office 2007 + formatting cells
I have a cell with 6 numbers in for example 098737. Excel deletes the zeros off from the cell, when i right click format cells and go to custom i change general to 000000 but it changes it to chinese? Can anyone help please? Neil, The quickest way to keep the formatting is to put an apostrophe in front of your number. Like this: '098737 When you hit enter, Excel formats the cell as text and keeps your leading zero. HTH. "Neil Holden" wrote: > I have a cell with 6 numbers in for example 098737. > > Excel deletes the zeros off from the cel...

Change the format of my footer {date} option?
I would like to show the date in my footer as January 25, 2005 instead of the default 01/25/05 Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.LeftFooter = Format(Date, "mmmm dd, yyyy") End With End Sub put this in the ThisWorkbook code module. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Tori" <Tori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:817363F1-32AB-4528-B1D6-304F8E712EA8@microsoft.com... > I would like to show the date in my footer as January 25, 2005 instead of the &g...

Need help: Conditioning "Conditional Formatting" for multiple cells
I have to charts that I am trying to compare. The top one is blank and I will enter in hours people have worked on a project. The bottom one has the hours allocated to that person for that particular phase. They are 5 columns by 12 rows. I set a conditional format in place to say, if the number I enter in the top sheet is larger than the corresponding number in bottom sheet, make it red (so that I can know people are charging more hours than they are allocated. I don't know how to set conditional formatting for this large range of cells, short of setting them up, one at a time. Any help...

Help with Date format
I want to enter dates into a worksheet like this: January 25, 2001 And i want to get excel to display the date with the following format: 1/25/01 I have tried using a date format from the format menu but it wont display the date like i want! It will only display the date as I typed it in. Thanks to anyone who can help. :) It appears you're typing the date into a cell formatted as something other than General. 1. Delete the current contents of the cell. 2. Format > Cell > Number tab. Choose a date format. 3. Now key in the date into the cell. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Or...