Number & Text in same cell

Hello Excel Wizards!

Is there a way to display a number and some text (like 2 or 3 letters)
in the same cell, using *"format cells, custom"* function.

Example: Display 28 tons in a cell as 28 tns. The 28 will keep updating
to a different value every so many minutes, but the tns, need to remain
in the cell to reflect the updated value in tons. Sometimes I need to
use t/h for tons per hour.

Not sure if this is possible. I have, in the past, placed the unit in a
cell next to the number, but in many other cases this is just not good
for me.

Thanks,
EMoe

--
EMoe
EMoe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23183

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

There are acouple of ways. Obviously, you can use two side-by-side cells
with one as the label and format the borders so it looks llike a single
cell. Of course the entire column will be that way. Another way  is to store
the numeric value in a cell somewhere other than the cell where you want to
display the information, maybe even in a hidden column. Then using the
"TEXT" and "CONCATENATE" functions, you can format the output. For example,
if the cell containing the numeric value for tons is "B1", then in the
display cell you would enter something like:

 = CONCATENATE(TEXT(B1,"0.00")," Tns").

...kurt

"EMoe" <EMoe.2bmr57_1154047511.0738@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Hello Excel Wizards!
>
> Is there a way to display a number and some text (like 2 or 3 letters)
> in the same cell, using *"format cells, custom"* function.
>
> Example: Display 28 tons in a cell as 28 tns. The 28 will keep updating
> to a different value every so many minutes, but the tns, need to remain
> in the cell to reflect the updated value in tons. Sometimes I need to
> use t/h for tons per hour.
>
> Not sure if this is possible. I have, in the past, placed the unit in a
> cell next to the number, but in many other cases this is just not good
> for me.
>
> Thanks,
> EMoe
>

> --
> EMoe
> EMoe's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23183
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=565852

Hi EMoe

Right click on the cell go to custom type in General" tns"

should be all you need to do

let me know how it goes

--
Steel Monkey
Steel Monkey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29051

Custom Format of #,##0 "tns"

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:41:27 -0400, EMoe
<EMoe.2bmr57_1154047511.0738@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>Hello Excel Wizards!
>
>Is there a way to display a number and some text (like 2 or 3 letters)
>in the same cell, using *"format cells, custom"* function.
>
>Example: Display 28 tons in a cell as 28 tns. The 28 will keep updating
>to a different value every so many minutes, but the tns, need to remain
>in the cell to reflect the updated value in tons. Sometimes I need to
>use t/h for tons per hour.
>
>Not sure if this is possible. I have, in the past, placed the unit in a
>cell next to the number, but in many other cases this is just not good
>for me.
>
>Thanks,
>EMoe

0
Gord
7/28/2006 1:47:37 AM
Try custom format
  ## "tns"  or   ## "t/h"

EMoe wrote:
>Hello Excel Wizards!
>
>Is there a way to display a number and some text (like 2 or 3 letters)
>in the same cell, using *"format cells, custom"* function.
>
>Example: Display 28 tons in a cell as 28 tns. The 28 will keep updating
>to a different value every so many minutes, but the tns, need to remain
>in the cell to reflect the updated value in tons. Sometimes I need to
>use t/h for tons per hour.
>
>Not sure if this is possible. I have, in the past, placed the unit in a
>cell next to the number, but in many other cases this is just not good
>for me.
>
>Thanks,
>EMoe

skatonni
7/28/2006 1:52:41 AM
Thanks Steel, Gord, and Skatonni!!!

That did the trick. You guys are the best :) !

Regards,
EMoe

--
EMoe
EMoe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23183
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=565852

Numbering
Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:07:02 -0700, carosaam <carosaam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? Yes. Do you mean for the process names or function names? Yes. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/ Electrical for Visio http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/ Electronics Packages for Visio http://www.electronics-packages.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

How do I expand the number of characters in Access comment box?
I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 characters in a "Comment" box. Hi, You could try changing your table's field type to Memo. Assuming that your are talking about a field in a table, that maybe shows on a form. If that is not the case, please describe precisely what comment box your are attempting to use. Clifford Bass Pearlene wrote: >I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 >characters in a "Comment" box. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

negative number to positive number
How can I change a negative number to positive number Multiply by -1 or use the ABS() function. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I change a negative number to positive number =ABS(##) or mult it by -1 -- Regards Rob "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I chan...

Hide page numbers for mutliple discontiquous levels
Hi: I need to hide the page numbers for levels 1 and 7 in my TOC. I used the \n switch to hide level 1, but cannot find a way to specify multiple ranges for this switch. Is there a way to do this? I am using Word 2003. Phil You have to use a trick. See the "Omitting page numbers for noncontiguous levels" section of http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm#OmitPageNumbers -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Phillip Llacuna" <phillip.v.llacuna@lmco.com> wrote in me...

1-52 pages, 8,000 employee numbers
Dear Excel, I have the ultimate challenge: to do job books for 8,000 employees. The form is completed, but the request is to make booklets of 52 pages for each employee. Each page of the booklet must also have each employee's number on it (0001 to 8000). Each page o fthe booklet must be numbered with the week number from 01 to 52. Therefore I need to auto generate 416,000 pages. Ridiculous I know but nobody listens to us! How can I export the above scenario to PDF from Excel? Thanks On Apr 19, 2:17=A0pm, gatecrasherg13 gatecrasherg13 <gatecrasher...@gmail.com> wr...

Insert text in Chart object
Hi, How do I insert text labels within Chart objects ? Thanks.. Regards, Adrian Hi, Manually: select chart ad simply type some text. When you it enter a textbox will be added. VBA: Sub y() Dim objX As Shape Set objX = ActiveChart.Shapes. _ AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, 1, 1, 70, 15) objX.TextFrame.Characters.Text = "Hello World" End Sub Cheers Adrian wrote: > Hi, > > How do I insert text labels within Chart objects ? Thanks.. > > Regards, > Adrian > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.in...

How to refer to a range except one cell
Hi, I'm trying to average a range except one cell in the middle of that range (or alternatively to condition on a range made of two separate sections). The formula I'm trying to use is the following: =IF(AND(B$47>0, B$53=2), B$47-AVERAGEIF(B$45:B$50, ">0"), "-") Except, instead of B45:B50 in AVERAGEIF, I want the range to be B45:B46 and B48:B50 (i.e. without the cell B47). Can anyone tell me how to use a split range with AVERAGEIF or how to tell it not to look at cell B47? Grateful for any advice. Thanks! Just use some helper cells:...

Sequential numbering in Number field
When I am entering transactions manually, I will put "Debit" or "VISA" to indicate how the withdrawl was made. When I download my account information, Money05 overwrites this with a sequential number. I have to go into the entry a second time to redo my change. Does anyone know how to turn this "feature" off? I want my values used - sequential numbering does not help me in the slightest. This is not a "feature" you can turn off. It's a reflection of the basic premise of downloaded transaction data. The presumption with downloading data...

Change of Colour to a cell when "Warning" is in that cell
After some help. Say in column D i want all the cells with the word "Warning" to b yellow, all the cells with the word "Normal" to be green. I think have to write a Visual Basic script, but i dont know how to. I need i to automatically update when the words move, so it needs to be live -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi no VBA required. -Goto 'Format - Conditional Format' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > After some help. > Say in column D i want all the cells with the word "Warning" to be > yellow, all the cell...

Number of Cells in a column
Hi, I want to add this formula in my ESS. COUNTIF(sheet1!S2:S43,"*Yes*") to find out the number of value containing "YES". My concern is I don't have fixed count from S2 to S43. It could be something else. What can I do to have this code reusable? I thought something like COUNTIF(Sheet!S2:Count($S2),"*Yes*") \But it doesnt work Thanks for your help Jack Try this if there is nothing else in that column:- =COUNTIF(sheet1!S:S,"*Yes*") -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - ...

General Number Format Changed
Excel 2003 on XP I have a collegue who's Excel setting for General number format displays as 0.1 instead of 1 in the sample box. ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in ".1" (as in 0.1) you get "1". Where in the settings can this General format be returned to standard? Many thanks DeanH Sorry that should have been: ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in "1." (as in 1.0) you get "1". "DeanH" wrote: > Excel 2003 on XP > I have a collegue who's Excel setting for G...

How to define cells so that only numbers can be filled?
Hi, How could I format cells in excel so that only numbers can be filled The input should be integer e.g. between 0...99 and cells shoud no accept any other marks, such as space, letters... simply nothing els but integers. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Juha! Try: Data > Validation You'll find it pretty intuitive and very flexible as to what you can do as far a restricting input to a cell. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fre...

Numbering, revisited
While there are already a lot of posts about numbering, I haven't been able to find the solutions for my specific quandry... [BTW, I'm posting this under "General" even though ultimately I'd like to make macros to support the answer -- since a manual solution needs to be the first step! :) ] Background: My workgroup is preparing to migrate to Word 2007 very soon. We create/maintain hundreds of large procedure manuals, each containing multiple chapters (sometimes up to 40-50 per manual). Each chapter consists of steps, using multi-level numbered lists...

Limit number of characters in a cell
Hi, Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a cell. I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't want them to be more than 35 characters. Thanks for the help Dr. Senji Take a look at Data|Validation. You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a too-long string. Dr Senji wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a > cell. > > I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't > want the...

transaction number in PC Charge
Is there any way to manage the fields that should go to PC Charge while tendering credit cards in RMS. The problem is that transaction number ( called Ticket in PC Charge) doesn't appear in PC Charge and that cost as extra money. Regards, Ewa ...

Sort cells with same text descending
hi, Need some help with a spreadsheet which has the following setup aaa 111 bbb 223 ccc 345 ddd 564 ddd 123 Now what i need to do is have the highest similar text cells descending. i.e ddd 123 ddd 564 aaa 111 bbb 223 ccc 345 I would like the individual rows to be shifted in this order also, not just column A and B. Any guidance in the right direction would help! Thanks, T-DHM =) -- T-DHM ------------------------------------------------------------------------ T-DHM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30136 Vi...

Case, Quote numbering
We should have the ability to number the cases without having a suffix. If we do have a suffix, we should be able to define the suffix. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defa...

Adding a drop-down form field into individual cell
Hi, I�m tabulating data for a report and one field (column) is limited t two options (non numerical data). I would like to insert a drop-dow menu into individual cells in this column. When an option is selecte in the drop-down, I will only be using the data in that column to sort not calculate. Is this possible, and if so how do I do it? Any help i appreciated -- jcstoddar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jcstoddard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1485 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthr...

Locking Photos and Text on Webiste
Hi everyone Does anyone know how to lock your website so people can't copy things off of your website? Thanks :-) Carmen wrote: > Does anyone know how to lock your website so people can't copy things off of > your website? Not possible. Using an encrypted locked PDF would help, but it doesn't stop copying altogether. Anything that a user can see they can copy. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org Carmen, Once a person can see your web page, the images and all text on that page then resides on the viewers hard drive. Read this article: http://www...

Rounding numbers to the nearest thousand
Simple question (i hope) Is there a simple way i can round numbers to the nearest thousand by using the format cells command. For example i would like to display 1,234.56 as 12 I don't want to be diving by 1000 and rounding to zero decimal places because i still want the whole number displayed in the formula bar when selecting it. i use excel 2003 thanx Mark Format the number as #,##0,;-#,##0, or similar. Not the comma at the end - this tells Excel to display as thousands (two commas here will display as millions). Note that 1,234.56 will display as 1 (thousand) not 12. "...

sorting numbers and numbers that contain text in excel
A column contains both strictly numbers and also numbers that are followed by text (e.g., row 1: 1000, row 2: 1500; row 3: 1000a; row 4: 1500a) Identical numbers are related documents, with the text suffixes referring to addenda documents; thus, document 1000 has an addendum document 1000a; How can I sort the column so in the following order: row 1 (1000), row 3 (1000a), row 2 (1500), row 4 (1500a)? Thank you -- MZ =TEXT(A1,"0") will turn each into text, then sort by that helper column (and don't accept Excel's suggestion to treat text that looks like number...

Form of phone numbers in contact list
I am using Blackberry's Desktop Software to syncronize with my MS Outlook Contacts list. The onboard caller-id function of the phone that is supposed to correlate the incoming phone number to a name of a contact (should the number be in my contacts list) isn't working. According to help from Blackberry the problem is the "form" of the numbers as they're being loaded on the Blackberry from MS Outlook. Specifically, apparently the fact that the numbers are stored in the form of (###) ###-#### instead of something like ###-###-#### is keeping the phone from realizi...

Syntax error text in VBA
Why are the following lines of code not highlighted (in red) to indicate a syntax error when they are clearly incorrect: ActiveSheete.Range("A1").Select ActiveSheet e.Range("A1").Select But this one is highlighted: ActiveSheet e .Range("A1").Select -- R Ormerod The first two are not incorrect, as the -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "R Ormerod" <ROrmerod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F4E5969-601C-41F8-BEC2-337AB64C58...

How do I update a spreadsheet with numbers input into another?
How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? "Duma" wrote: > How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? Probably something like this In Sheet2, In A1: =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) Copy A1 across/down to cover the extent Sheet2 will then reflect entries/updates in Sheet1 for the formulated range -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- If both spreadsheets are the same, headers, data ranges, titles etc, basically same architecture on both sheets, then... While on Sheet1...

Importing external data in plain text row format
I have data in the following format: -------------------Begin Sample Data---------------------- Fernando E. Amuchastegui Office of the County Attorney 115 S. Andrews Avenue Suite 423 Fort Lauderdale 33301 954-357-7600 Voice 954-357-7641 Fax famuchastegui@broward.org Ronald J. Anania Law Offices of Ronald J. Anania 10910 S W 10th Court Davie 33324 954-476-9616 Voice 954-476-9693 Fax law1492aol.com Eric J. Anders Haley Sinagra Paul & Toland, P.A. 100 SE 3 Avenue Suite 1900 Fort Lauderdale 33394 954-467-1300 Voice 954-467-1372 Fax eanders@hsptlaw.com Hal B. Anderson Billing Cochran H...