noob questions

sorry, to bother u with a noob question, but for selfstudy purposes i have
come across a thing that i would like to figure out on how it works. how does
it work ? (i don t even know what it is called, so i best describe what i
mean....

if you have a few rows and you want to make them dissappear with a "plus
sign in front! so you can open and close this range of coloumns ...
how do you do that ... i mean how do you make this kind of view? (or at
least what is this feature called, so i can find out in the office help
feature... that would already be a superb help!
thankx y´all

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can do this Outlining in a couple of different ways.

This way only works with rows.
You usually have your data sorted by a certain column first.
Then you select your range (include a single header row)
and do Data|Subtotals

This way works with both rows and columns (but I find it much more of a manual
effort).

Select a few rows (or columns), then data|group and outline|Group

(I explained this using the old menu option with xl2003 and below.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> You can do this Outlining in a couple of different ways.
>
> This way only works with rows.
> You usually have your data sorted by a certain column first.
> Then you select your range (include a single header row)
> and do Data|Subtotals
>
> This way works with both rows and columns (but I find it much more of a manual
> effort).
>
> Select a few rows (or columns), then data|group and outline|Group
>
> (I explained this using the old menu option with xl2003 and below.)
>

> Murat Vogt wrote:
> >
> > sorry, to bother u with a noob question, but for selfstudy purposes i have
> > come across a thing that i would like to figure out on how it works. how does
> > it work ? (i don t even know what it is called, so i best describe what i
> > mean....
> >
> > if you have a few rows and you want to make them dissappear with a "plus
> > sign in front! so you can open and close this range of coloumns ...
> > how do you do that ... i mean how do you make this kind of view? (or at
> > least what is this feature called, so i can find out in the office help
> > feature... that would already be a superb help!
> > thankx y´all
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

basic question
get guys, nice to be here... my question is a rather simple one, I thought I could figure it out bu I cant... ok... often, for homework, our teacher will assign tasks on excel. We do the work (math) and email it to her. Now, I believe the answers are encrypted ALREADY into the excel file All she does is enter a password to make them show... now.. I have this password, however, when I enter it, nothing really happens Are these cells hidden or.....??? I honestly cant believe she sits there and marks each of them, however when I enter the valid password, nothing is really showing up, ideas? Is th...

Form On Current question
On a tabbed control of the form I am working with, I have want a label to display the store information from the store table where the StoreID = the number found in the txtPurchased field of the same tab control. The data shows up alright for the first record but does not update when I move to the next record. What do I need to do? Thank you. Private Sub Form_Current() 'store the StoreID of the plant record for 'use in DLookup statements below Dim intStoreNum As Integer 'create variables to hold store information Dim strStoreNme As String, strAddress As S...

A couple of (hopefully) quick questions
Hi everyone- I'm trying to automate with forms and am running into two problems I feel like should be easy fixes, but are proving otherwise. 1) I have a button on a form that I would like to have open a second form that you don't actually see, which in turn opens a third form that you do see. (The second form runs a query off of information from the first form, and fills the defaults for form three that is tied to a separate table.) I tried opening the second form in Dialog Mode, and wanted to set its property to invisible, but I can't find the code to do that. ...

Install a new back end Exchange 2003 server question?
I now have an Exchange 2003 front end server installed. I did so by upgrading their old 2000 front end server to 2003 then installing a new front end 2003 on new hardware. The domainprep and forestprep were obviously already run. The backend server is Exchange 2000 and we want to get implment a new Exchange 2003 server to take the place of the back end 2000 server. I wasn't sure if I can just install the new 2003 server and move the mailboxes from the 2000 server or not. I forget... I figured since the schema had already been extended and the front end server (s) are Exchange 2003 t...

Question on Query 06-06-07
I have created a query that searches a database based on a zip code entered by the user. The question is: The database contains both 3 digit(first 3 digits) zip codes and 5 digit zip codes. I want the user to enter all 5 digits and still be able to pull up the 3 digit codes that match. How do I configure the query to do this? -- Dirk Are you saying that the 3 digit and 5 digit zip codes will be in the same field in the table? WHERE [ZipCode] = [What Zipcode?] OR [ZipCode] = Left([What Zipcode?], 3) If not, and they're in separate fields, you'll want WHERE [ZipCode] = [Wha...

visio dimensions question
Hi, I am creating a floor plan in Visio, and every time I drag a table onto my floor plan, it has text included within the table borders that show the length and width. I can not find anywhere to turn this feature off, and if I try to delete these dimension, I end up deleting the table itself. Is there a way to shut this off for the entire document? -- "Friends Don''t Let Friends Dial-Up" On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 19:01:01 -0800, Vgolfmaster <Vgolfmaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I am creating a floor plan in Visio, and ev...

vlookup question #2
Does anybody know if it is possible to not only return the value of a target cell with the vlookup function, but an attribute of that cell too (in my case, fill color)? Thanks, Jeff Not with a built-in formula. You could return the fill color using a User Defined Function (UDF), but you couldn't use it to color the calling cell: Public Function VLookupColor(Lookup_value As Variant, _ table_array As Range, col_indexnum As Integer, _ Optional range_lookup As Integer = 1) As Variant Dim found As Variant On Error Resume Next found = ...

Powershell question
I'm trying to run a script in Powershell that is located at c:\program files\microsoft\exchange server\scripts but I don't know how to navigate to that directory at my MSH prompt. It defaults to C:\documents and settings\username.domain>. I've tried to get back to just a c: prompt by typing cd.., cd\, etc. but nothing works. Any help is appreciated. TIA MSH is a little more sensitive than CMD. Try using cd \ (note the space) or cd .. /Simon "SilverICE" <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37B6D30D-4987-4295-8C13-C3AD3D6CF437@...

Access Licensing (distribution question)
Hi New to this group, let me introduce myself quickly. Im Jamie Brown and a programmer from the uk. Nice to meet you all. I have developed a system, front end Access 2003, backend SQL 2000. I currently distribute the front end (ade) to over 50 pcs, each one currently has Access 2003 installed on it. My question is, is there a way of compiling the front end so I dont actually need Access installed on the 50 pcs? I have a license for development on my PC but so I really require a further 50 licenses? The bosses are keen to cut costs (arnt they all) and this is one area I can see potential. ...

excel formula question?help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
need help on getting this formula onto a excel page and then graphing the resul any help is mucho appreciated ti . this is for a file that has over 3000 names and i would like to be able to update this dail a. measure lwaccis as follows 1. if current close is greater than prior close,then lwaccdis=close-truelo 2.if current close is less than prior close,then lwaccdis=close-truehig 3.if current close is equal to prior close,then lwaccdis= b. calculation of true low 1. if pr...

A number of questions
Hello, I am setting CRM up for telesales and trying to make it as basic as I can I have searched the web and forums, and i have the Snyder and Steger book, but not found the answers to what i need, so hopefully someone here can help. 1. Can I have numbers next to the leads 2. Can I stop the colums sorting, when the top of the colums is clicked. 3. Apointments can be synced to outlook, but don't seem to carry the infomation from the record. It just pops up to say you have an appointment. Can this be set to pull the notes from the record across? 4. I would also like to hide the n...

Sorting Question #5
I'm sorting a column and want the empty cells to appear at the top of the column, followed by numeric and alpha. When I sort the column, numeric and alpha appear first, followed by empties. The occurs both for a-z and z-a sort Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. The easiest way I can see to complete this is to do a Find/Replace on all the cells where Find = Nothing ( ) and Replace = 0, Then Sort the data and afterwards, do a Find = 0 and Replace = Nothing ( ). This should mitigate the problem. Best of Luck >-----Original Message----- >I'm sorting a column and want the empty...

Disabled CTreeControl question
Hello! If I select an item in a tree - and disable the whole tree - all the items in that tree is "grayed". How can I avoid that? This is how I would like things to work - only one item should be grayed - and I should not be able to click on this tree. -- - Lars >If I select an item in a tree - and disable the whole tree - all the items >in that tree is "grayed". > >How can I avoid that? > >This is how I would like things to work - only one item should be grayed - >and I should not be able to click on this tree. Lars, Try giving the item th...

Formula question #12
Am trying to set up a tracking sheet for equity trades. Have 4 possible scenarios: Long position with profit / Long position with loss Short position with profit / Short position with loss Need a formula in my "Profit/Loss" column to reflect these four possibilities. No idea how to do this, but logic is something like this: (short position with loss): If A1="short", and sum of (g1 - d1) is a positive number, then end result in my "Profit/Loss" will be a Loss and so calculation needs to show up as a negative number. (short position with profit): If A1="...

Excell Question
Is it possible to increase the character limit for an excel custom footer? In the alternative, can a line be set to repeat at the bottom of every page? Any assistance would be appreciated. ...

exchange scripting question...
if this can be posted somewhere better, let me know. basically, in VBS i need to: open a specific public folder loop through all items in the public folder if item is an email message forward email to specific address delete email item once forwarded end if can someone point me in the right direction? Search msdn.microsoft.com for "outlook.application". -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "bob m" <leav@s.com> wrote in message news:ObJT3AU%23GHA.4388@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > if this can be posted...

I can't see my last posted question and asnwer
Hello This page shows shows in Forms coding that I have 18 messages, however, I cannot see my last question and respective answer. Could you me reason about it. Many thanks sebastico, The name of this group is... microsoft.public.access.formscoding I only see two posts from you recently Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:22 PM Filter Juction Table and related tables. and Saturday, March 06, 2010 10:02 AM Re: Can I still use check boxes? I can not say why you can not see those posts, but you could use Google Groups, f...

Connect Exchange 2000 to the Internet
I know this has been asked before, but I cannot seem to find one clear answer. Here is my problem. I have a Windows 2000 LAN with two WIN2000 servers, one being the PDC, the other with Exchange 2000 being the BDC. Both behind a RED HAT 7.2 box and out to the internet. The internal messaging is handled by the mentioned server, but for Internet mail, we have a mail service given by our ISP with 20 mailboxes and 200 mb space on disk. So each user gets internal mail thru exchange, and pop3 mail directly from the internet via our isp. I would like to change the configuration so that the exchan...

general microsoft question
Can i change the name and company who microsoft software is licensed to? There are instructions in the following MSKB article: HOW TO: Change the Company Name and User Name in an Office XP Program http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=290528 jeremy wrote: > Can i change the name and company who microsoft software > is licensed to? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

CString question #2
Hi, CString test = "Mystring 5" What member function should be use to get "5"? it doesn't work if I try to find position of " " int pos = Mystring.Find(" "); Thanks help! You meant to type... int pos= test.Find( _T(" ") ); right? On a side note, you should get used to wrapping your characters/strings in the _T() macro so if you ever end up writing UNICODE applications you won't run into problems. Like so... CString test = _T( "Mystring 5" ); char ch= _T('A'); HTH -- ============ Fra...

eConnect 10.0 Install question
Hi, I am in the process of upgrading our GP9.0 to GP10.0 in a test environment. My question surrounds eConnect 10.0. When I installed eConnect 9.0 on top of GP9.0 in the past, when I select components to install for eConnect 9, it has an option to install the Business Objects (which are stored procs from what I gathered in the docs). And everything worked fine. After I upgraded to GP10.0, and I launch the eConnect 10.0 installer, it only give me an option to install the COM+ components, aka the eConnect runtime (I'm using .NET integrations). I changed my namespaces in my .NET code a...

Pub 2003 Question ( Problem )
I have documents I created a couple of years ago in Pub 2003 that contain a lot of pictures. When I open them up today, many of the pictures do not show on screen? No error messages ? What can I do ? Wayne wrote: > I have documents I created a couple of years ago in Pub 2003 that > contain a lot of pictures. When I open them up today, many of the > pictures do not show on screen? > > No error messages ? > > What can I do ? =========================== Have a look at the following site: (Read the third FAQ) Q: Why can I not see images/shapes/ lines when editing ...

Build Error with CreateDirectory failed (GetLastError=5) Question
I can't build anything with the following error. Does anyone have clue? BUILD: [00:0000002260:ERRORE] CreateDirectory(\) failed. GetLastError=5 (dec) Could be that your WINCEROOT is set wrong or that there's a space in some part of the path to Windows CE or the Platform Builder toolset. Paul T. "Sung Mo Jun" wrote: > I can't build anything with the following error. Does anyone have clue? > BUILD: [00:0000002260:ERRORE] CreateDirectory(\) failed. GetLastError=5 > (dec) > > > Thanks for the comment, but I've checked a...

Themed Tab Control Question
Hi all, I've read previous posts on Tab Controls using Windows Themed Controls, and I just wanted to confirm something: rather than try to force a colour on the user, I'm trying to adapt to whether or not Themed Controls are in use. Is it safe to assume that a Themed Tab Control in Access will *always* be white? Or is it possible in some fashion (using only standard Windows methods, for example, the Control Panel/Display and/or common API calls) to override that? Note: I don't need to account for funky 3rd-party software that may somehow be changing it, or anything of that...

css question
Is there a way to to not show any css bordering, coloring, etc if the field does not have any information in it? Have a table and there could be a field (label) that would have not info. The table is not bordered, the field in the table cell is bordered. Thanks. John > >Is there a way to to not show any css bordering, coloring, etc if the field >does not have any information in it? Have a table and there could be a field >(label) that would have not info. The table is not bordered, the field in >the table cell is bordered. >Thanks. >John > You mi...