new user of excel

Is there a beginners newsgroup for excel?
Thanks
D scott

0
djs1 (4)
1/10/2008 11:09:00 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Donna,

Yes, there is:

Microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Personally, I think this group will help you more:

Microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

But do visit one of the many sites with useful links, like this one (just a random choice):

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Links.htm

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Donna" <djs@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:OsjDK39UIHA.4360@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
| Is there a beginners newsgroup for excel?
| Thanks
| D scott

0
nicolaus (2022)
1/10/2008 11:21:14 PM
On Jan 10, 3:09=A0pm, "Donna" <d...@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> Is there a beginners newsgroup for excel?

Well, there is microsoft.public.excel.newusers.  But it does not get
much traffic, and I, for one, stopped looking there.

I think you would do well to post general questions to
microsoft.public.excel.misc.  In theory, questions specific to the use
of worksheet functions could be posted to
microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions.  Notice the dot between
"worksheet" and "functions", not to be confused with
*.worksheetfunctions and its misspelled cousin, both of which have
little traffic.  *.worksheet.functions gets about as much traffic as
*.misc.  If you lurk for a while, you will see that no one cares which
questions go where.

0
joeu2004 (766)
1/10/2008 11:29:49 PM
Buy a book on Excel. John Walkenbach is an excellent author.

Tyro

"Donna" <djs@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Is there a beginners newsgroup for excel?
> Thanks
> D scott

0
Tyro (331)
1/11/2008 1:30:48 AM
On Jan 10, 5:30=A0pm, "Tyro" <T...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Buy a book on Excel. John Walkenbach is an excellent author.

But it's debatable whether his books are good references.  In the two
that I have, the index stinks, and I can almost never find what I am
looking for.  But hey, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Regardless, the OP never said she does not have one or more good texts
to use.  I interpreted her inquiry to mean:  when she has a question
(everyone does eventually), where should a beginner post it?
0
joeu2004 (766)
1/11/2008 4:40:17 AM
I have read Walkenbach's books since Excel 1995. I am certified as a Master
Instructor of Excel by Microsoft. If people read the books, they would not
be asking the simple questions they do here. After all, if you want to work
with something, wouldn't  you try to educate yourself before asking others?

Tyro

"joeu2004" <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 10, 5:30 pm, "Tyro" <T...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Buy a book on Excel. John Walkenbach is an excellent author.

But it's debatable whether his books are good references.  In the two
that I have, the index stinks, and I can almost never find what I am
looking for.  But hey, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Regardless, the OP never said she does not have one or more good texts
to use.  I interpreted her inquiry to mean:  when she has a question
(everyone does eventually), where should a beginner post it?

0
Tyro (331)

create folder to all users
i am searching for a way to create a folder called search and replay under the outbox folder. i do not wish to use a plublic folder. the search and replay folder will open up to a web page. i need to know if there is any way of creating this folder without going to each of the workstations. we are running exchange 2003 w/ mixed outlook versions (200,xp,2003). please offer me any ideas you might have. thank you for your help. You'll have to script a solution. Nothing native in Exchange will let you do this and deploy to existing users. Nue "murr" <martynaughton@gmail....

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Excel #81
I need to know the importance of excel and what are the uses of excel. Your responce in this matter will be highly appreciated. Regards Qinisile There's lots of information on Excel on the Microsoft site: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/FX010858001033.aspx Qinisile Bukhali wrote: > I need to know the importance of excel and what are the > uses of excel. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Opening a unicode CSV file from Excel
Hi, I'm currently working on an application that can export data in "CSV" format, and then launches Excel to view the CSV data. This works perfectly ok for ascii data. However now I have upgraded our application to use Unicode I'm running into problems. When I export data into a unicode CSV file and launch excel with it's path on the command line I get a "This is not a recognized format" message. If the same file is opened manually from Excel the same error is shown but afterwards the text import wizard is displayed (which works ok). Currenly the file is 16 ...

HQ users should be able to add ship-to records from the stores.
HQ users should be able to add ship-to records from the stores. As of RMS 1.3.???, HQ users can indeed create ship-to records at the stores. I'm told that RMS doesn't handle this properly. There are problems created when stores are messing around with global customers. I suspect that MS will 'fix' this by eliminating the ability of stores to add Ship-To records. I have a customer, ABC Fitness, who has one office, but several gyms. I repair the treadmills at their various gym locations. I have each service site set up as a Ship-To in RMS, within the ABC global customer ac...

Default properties for new folders

User Calendar Vanished
Hello, Just a quick query regarding a user whos calendar contents seems to have vanished! for dates prior to June 05 This is not a big deal, but i thought a little odd.. any reason anyone might know of why this would happen? one thing i suggest was that some data archived off has been deleted.. do archives include calendar data ? thanks On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:44:28 -0800, "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >Just a quick query regarding a user whos calendar contents seems to have >vanished! for dates prior to June 05 > >This is...

New Email Messages

excel spreadsheet #8
I have a 2 sheet excel spread sheet that I put together with varing column widths. On the top 1/4 of the first sheet (of the 2 part spread sheet) I need to have different column widths to insert specific data with different column widths that conflict with the column widths in the balance of spread sheet. How do I seperate the sheet to have the column with at the top 1/4 differ from those on the rest of the sheet? I treied cut & paste within excel, I tried building the top part in word and paste to excel. nothing works. Can this be done? Frank ...

Make excel run large spreadsheets faster
For those of you who run large spreadsheets with or without VBA, I think everyone will agree they are much too slow ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e1105194-24af-4697-ab5f-b9d62e5140ea&...

New Location/New setup

excel #136
I have files in quantrum pro and would like to open them in excel. But they won't popen I'm not familiar with Quantrum Pro. What does it do? "Liz R" wrote: > I have files in quantrum pro and would like to open them in excel. But they > won't popen ...

How do I activate the new mail button

Style available all sheets new or old

Excel drawings with Hyperlink
Hello: I would like to create a hyperlink when a particular serial number is selected in a cell. Is there a way to create small drawings in excel and have those drawings pop up (or via hyperlink) when a given serial number is selected from a cell? I have created drawings in Paint and saved them as JPEG images, but when I select a serial number the Paint editor pops up at full screen with a tiny image. Regards, D.Parker What I have done in the past was insert drawings on the worksheet, hide them, then associate VBA code to unhide the desired drawing (picture) and hide all others. ...

Why is excel 2007 slow when selecting chart data from the formula
Excel 2007 is very slow when selecting chart data from the formula bar. For example 8, X-Y scatter graph curves are generated from data base of approximately 2000 lines long x 2 columns. A convienient way to edit the cell references for each curve is to simply click onto a curve and the cell references will appear in the formula bar. With all earlier versions of excel including 2003, once the curve is clicked the cell reference appears in the formula bar almost instantaneously. However when the same method is used with excel 2007, it can take 10-20 seconds before the formular appears. ...

Adding new pages

Setting up second virtual server/connector for smart host for only select users
I currently have one domain and SMTP virtual server defined to handle all mail including internet email. We have our own MX record. Occasionally I have one user who will need to send a mass mailing based on our customer database and this clogs the system. My thought was to define a second SMTP virtual server/connector that would route the email to a smart host (our service provider offers this service). If I could direct this specific user to use this service for the mass mailing, would it help the situation? If yes, how would I go about doing it - have the two SMTP server definitions coe...

Excel, Python, Linux
Hi everyone, The situation is this: I am thinking of creating an input database for mathematical program (MP) model in Excel. I am using MS-Windows as a platform. However, someone somewhere will use same MP on Linux. So, Excel database can't be read in Linux and OpenOffice is not allowed! Unless there is an acceptable alternative to OpenOffice, we have to explore other options. One potential is to create the database using Python, programming language, and Python data files are readable in both MS-Windows and Linux. Is this the only way? Any alternative? Thanks Mike On Sat, 11 Dec 2...

Excel Pie Chart Slices
Is there a maximum number of slices you can have in a pie chart? Thank you, JLB As an experiment I made one with 120 slices - not very useful ! best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "JLB" <JLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BC0F185-7FC5-4534-BD11-27459BE393E0@microsoft.com... > Is there a maximum number of slices you can have in a pie chart? > > > Thank you, > JLB LOL, just tried one with 360 slices. Nice moiré patterns! Ed Ferrero "Bernard Liengme"...