New Line in Cell

Appol's in advance if this is really obvious.

I have been given a spreadsheet and its looks as though somehow the person
has been able to do carriage returns that create a new line in the same
cell. For me it simply jumps to the next cell.

Anyone know how to do the new line in cell please?

Ta.
Bill.

0
bill7723 (26)
1/30/2009 9:05:18 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hold down the Alt key and press Enter at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 30, 9:05=A0am, "Bill" <b...@bill.com> wrote:
> Appol's in advance if this is really obvious.
>
> I have been given a spreadsheet and its looks as though somehow the perso=
> has been able to do carriage returns that create a new line in the same
> cell. For me it simply jumps to the next cell.
>
> Anyone know how to do the new line in cell please?
>
> Ta.
> Bill.

0
pashurst (2576)
1/30/2009 9:28:09 AM
While typing the text, touch CNTRL-ENTER
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007L

"Bill" wrote:

> Appol's in advance if this is really obvious.
>
> I have been given a spreadsheet and its looks as though somehow the person
> has been able to do carriage returns that create a new line in the same
> cell. For me it simply jumps to the next cell.
>
> Anyone know how to do the new line in cell please?
>
> Ta.
> Bill.

0
GarysStudent (1572)

Flagging a particular cell?
As numbers are added and subtracted in a column of cells over time, the sum of these cells changes. I should like to discover a formula to be used which would flag a particular cell (or point in time) when that sum fluctuates by a given amount over the last flagged cell. Example: cell|data|sum|flag 1) 3 3 2) 4 7 3) -2 5 4) 5 10 FLAG 5) 6 16 6) 9 25 FLAG 7) -3 22 8) -8 14 FLAG etc. The formula I am looking for would examine the sum column and would flag a variance of 10 or more from the last flagged cell. I...

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

How do I add a line chart to a stacked chart?
I have 3 series as a percent in a stacked chart and would like to plot a line in dollars through the the different stacks for each quarter - any help is appreciated. Sarah plot he dollar amount series as part of the stacked chart on the chart select the new data set and change axis to secondary and got to <chart><chart type> and select the line chart you want. Play with the formating to make it ddo what you want. "smazeika" wrote: > I have 3 series as a percent in a stacked chart and would like to plot a line > in dollars through the the different stacks fo...

Need Help Adding Line to Bar Graph
Hi, I�m working on a bar graph with 2 series of comparable data � firs series is YTD @ Current Month, second series is Current Month. I woul like to add 2 lines to show the system (or overall) average of bot series. (x-axis=co region; y-axis= score) How do I do this? I do not want a trending line. I just want straight line to show overall average. Right now, I�m just drawing line on the chart but I would like something that will adjust t updated data. Any help is greatly appreciated -- jcstoddar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jcstoddard'...

Default properties for new folders

automatic selecting the highest cell #2
I'm sorry for being a bit confusing, I did even manage to confus myself, as I gave you wrong directions. Now I've uploaded a picture of my spreadsheet, so hopefully you'r fully able to understand what I want to do. First I would like to explain what this is this is at speardsheet fo value betting. Column B:D are my percentage evaluation for the outcome of an match. Column F:H are odds generated of my evaluation. Column J:L are the bookmakers odds for the same matches Column N:P are the given value (difference between my and th bookmakers odds) a value over 100% indicates that ...

New Email Messages

Line Graphs #3
Is there a way to shade the area between two lines in a line graph, while leaving the rest unshaded? Yep, try this: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart2.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html _______ "SecretaryII" <SecretaryII@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96672ABF-085A-4B98-9CA6-2302A9F458B4@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to shade...

Apply-user-defined table style only to tables with no vertically merged cells
Dear Experts: below simple macros applies a user-defined table styles to all tables in the current document. It works fine. I wonder whether it is possible... .... to check each table for vertically merged cells and... .....only apply the user-defined table style to tables without any vertically merged cells .... the index number of tables which have not been worked on because of this is to be displayed in a msgbox Hope this is feasible and not beyond the scope of this forum. Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas Sub ApplyTblStyl...

Single Cell To more cells
hi, some one can help me one more doubt in single cell much massage is there but i want to devide that massage in more cells like below. In Single Cell kum rakesh arun anand Gaurav I want change in more Cells like this A B C D E kum rakesh arun anand Gaurav is it Possible? Try Data > Text to Columns > Delimited > Check "Space" > Finish Joy? hit YES below -- Max Singapore --- "Rohinikumar" wrote: > some one can help me one more doubt in single cell much massage is there but > i want to devide that massage in more cel...

New Location/New setup

On Registry Tweaks for WLMail 14x (Quick views & Line wrap)
Now, WLMail 14x was programmed with a solution to help overcome the bug = whereby the Quick views would sometimes break. The solution was to cause = the Quick views to rebuild every five starts of WLMail via the Registry = Key->"Value" HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live = Mail->"SearchFolderLaunchesUntilRebuild". This slows down the Start of WLMail for but a few seconds, but the Quick = views database takes many more seconds to completely rebuild, while = using quite high CPU. My first workaround to this annoyance was simply to export the r...

Extract different strings from a cell?
If I have "100BDDDABAABD" in a cell and I'd like to extract the last 10 characters and put each character into a different cells. Then, the first rest of characters (first 3 in this case) into another cell. How do I do that in Excel? Thanks, Since you said "first 3 in this case", I'll assume that the number of characters will vary in each cell. With data in A1, enter this in B1, and copy across to K1: =MID(RIGHT($A1,10),COLUMNS($A:A),1) Then, in L1, enter this for the remaining characters: =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-10) -- HTH, RD -----------------------------------...

How do I activate the new mail button

Style available all sheets new or old

sequencial cell numbers w/ an Exception
Ok I read the previous post about sequencial numbers but how can I set up the numbering so that it all ways add the contents of the previous cell, regardless of what the cell name is. I use the normal process for creating sequential numbers but when I insert a new row w/i the group the sequence is broken. Is there a way to say A1 = 5.0 B1 = SUM(PREVCELL + 5); C1 = SUM(PREVCELL + 5); instead of A1 = 5.0 B1 = SUM(A1 + 5); C1 = SUM(B1 + 5); As you can see that if a new cell is inserted into the later it breaks but the earlier statment still holds true. Any ideas? Thanks in advance Sharr...

how to block cells?
hi i am trying to block cells. i'm writing a form and i want the empty cells to blocked (in order that u can fill in only the cells you need and you cant even click on the empty cells) does anyone knows how to do that? thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You can lock all cells except those you want available for input. (format;cells; protection). Then protect the sheet. In XP, you can allow the user to only select unlocked cells. I don't know if that feature is available in 2000; I don't think it was available in 97. >-----Original Message----- ...

paste over hidden cells
I would like to take cells from another place copy or cut them and paste them in a section that contains a hidden column for example. When I do this informatioin gets pasted in the hidden cells. How can I bypass these cells and only paste in the visible ones and hence "skip" over the hidden ones? Thanks, Kyrsten ...

Adding new pages

tab does not move to adjacent cell in excel