Need to Sum one column for each row that is part of a group and then filter out dups

I have around 53,000 rows of data with columns A-I.  The first five rows
for example have data for a particular student... STUDENT A.  Rows 6
through 15 have data about another student... STUDENT B, and so forth.

Each column per student has the same data in it with the exception of
the last column, column I.  Column I has the students GPA (Grade Point
Averages) in it per row.

So, for example, STUDENT A might have a GPA in row 1 of 4.0, a GPA in
row 2 of 2.5, a GPA in row 3 of 4.0, a GPA in row 4 of 3.0, and a GPA
in row 5 of 4.0.

Since all data in the rows for each person has the same data in them
(with the exception of column 5), I want to get rid of the duplicate
rows per person.  I want the one row that's left to  represent each
person to show an average GPA of all the GPA's that were listed for
that particular student, before the duplicates were removed.

For example,

STUDENT 1
Row 1 GPA (in column I) is 4.0
Row 2 GPA (in column I) is 2.5
Row 3 GPA (in column I) is 4.0
Row 4 GPA (in column I) is 3.0
Row 5 GPA (in column I) is 4.0

I need to remove filter out rows 2-5 and have only one row representing
the student.  In that row, (in column I) I need the number for GPA to
be an average of what was listed in I1-I5... or 3.5 in this example.

When I filter out duplicate data, I'm currently getting the one row I'm
looking for, but that row only lists the 4.0 number that was listed in
the first column of the student group of rows.

Is it possible to filter out duplicate rows and place a formula in the
row that's left for each student that will give the average of all the
rows that were originally showing for that person?

Thanks in advance!

---

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I think I'd try a pivottable.

First, insert a new column A (shift everything to the right one column)

Then insert headers in row 1.

Then in A2, put a formula like:

=B2&"|"&C2&"|"&D2&"|"&E2&"|"&F2&"|"&G2&"|"&H2&"|"&I2

I used the vertical bar to isolate fields.  If your data has any vertical bars
in it, choose a different (unique character)--we're going to "decombine" it
using this character.

Drag this formula down all 53k rows.

Now select your data (A1:J53000, (it shifted over one)).

Data|Pivottables
Follow the wizard until you get to a dialog with a Layout button in the bottom
left.

Click that layout button
Drag the header for column A to the Row field.
drag the header for column J to the Data Field.
When you let go of that header like button, double click on it and choose
Average
(It may have said Sum or Count--depending what was in that column)

Ok and finish.

Now you've got a column that has the concatenated information in it and a column
that has the average in it.

Convert it to values:
ctrl-a (twice with xl2003)
edit|copy
edit|paste special|Values

move column B to the left of column A (just select the whole column B and
Edit|Cut, then select column A and edit|insert cut cells.

(almost done)

Now delete rows 1-3 (if required).  Just keep one header row.

Select column B (that has all the concatenated values)
Data|Text to columns
delimited by vertical bar (or whatever unique character you used!)
and finish it up.

You may have to format the columns (like dates/percentages/numbers), but that
shouldn't take too long.

====
The bad news.  Newer versions of excel handle lots of data better in pivottables
than earlier versions.

Save your work (as a different workbook) whenever you decide you don't want to
do it again!

And if your version of excel doesn't handle all the data, maybe you could split
it up into two (or more) worksheets (don't split any one person across multiple
sheets) and do this a couple (or more) times.

"kukarooza <" wrote:

> I have around 53,000 rows of data with columns A-I.  The first five rows
> for example have data for a particular student... STUDENT A.  Rows 6
> through 15 have data about another student... STUDENT B, and so forth.
>
> Each column per student has the same data in it with the exception of
> the last column, column I.  Column I has the students GPA (Grade Point
> Averages) in it per row.
>
> So, for example, STUDENT A might have a GPA in row 1 of 4.0, a GPA in
> row 2 of 2.5, a GPA in row 3 of 4.0, a GPA in row 4 of 3.0, and a GPA
> in row 5 of 4.0.
>
> Since all data in the rows for each person has the same data in them
> (with the exception of column 5), I want to get rid of the duplicate
> rows per person.  I want the one row that's left to  represent each
> person to show an average GPA of all the GPA's that were listed for
> that particular student, before the duplicates were removed.
>
> For example,
>
> STUDENT 1
> Row 1 GPA (in column I) is 4.0
> Row 2 GPA (in column I) is 2.5
> Row 3 GPA (in column I) is 4.0
> Row 4 GPA (in column I) is 3.0
> Row 5 GPA (in column I) is 4.0
>
> I need to remove filter out rows 2-5 and have only one row representing
> the student.  In that row, (in column I) I need the number for GPA to
> be an average of what was listed in I1-I5... or 3.5 in this example.
>
> When I filter out duplicate data, I'm currently getting the one row I'm
> looking for, but that row only lists the 4.0 number that was listed in
> the first column of the student group of rows.
>
> Is it possible to filter out duplicate rows and place a formula in the
> row that's left for each student that will give the average of all the
> rows that were originally showing for that person?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
7/7/2004 11:24:52 PM
Thanks!  I'll give this a try

Thanks!  I'll give this a try

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Match value in one column and return value in same row in next col
Hi, I have a a set of values in A1 through A100. I need to look up each value and find a match in another set of values located in C1 through C200. If a match is found then I need the formula located in column B to return the value in the same row but the next column over (D). Example: A B C D 359 375 10012 456 125 10031 125 10031 952 10052 854 444 10017 The formula located in B3 should find that the value of 125 (located in A3) matches the value in C2 and returns 10031 which is the v...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Chart apearing small for one user only
I have a situation where person one sends person two a excel 2003 document with a chart and person two can see the chart but it is rely small. Person one can send the file to other people and it shows up fine. Person two can send the same file to other people and it shows up fine. What is wrong with person two's setup? The zoom percentage on both computers for both people are always the same value. Person two can increase his and it seems as if it distorts the chart. When he sends that file to someone else it looks ok (not distorted) but very big. Please help. Thanks. Do...

Macro help needed........

Tough one for me
I have a 2-dimensional array. I first want to see what is the most frequently occuring item in the first column. I also want to see what item has the largest sum in the second column. Here's an example: Col A Col B ===== ===== X $25 Y $32 X $11 Z $29 P $18 X $17 Y $64 etc. etc. Question 1: In this case, I would get X as the most frequenty occurring (3x), Y as the second (2x), etc. Question 2: In this case, I would get Y as the highest sum ($96), X as the s...

Outlook Junk mail filter and rules problem
Hello- I switched to Outlook from Mozilla Thunderbird. I did this because Thunderbird was unstable (at least for me). It did have a nice spam filter though. I was hoping that Outlook's spam filter would be comparable and the app would be stable. So far it's stable, but I am having a serious problem with the filter. I use Outlook 2004 to track several POP accounts. So when I download a message, I have a rule for each account that puts the message in an appropriate folder under the inbox folder. The problem is when I use the Spam filter, this is what happens. 1. Spam arrives to ...

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

A full page of email text shrinks to one inch or less w/ new batte
I was answering emails and everyhting was fine. The batteries in my wireless mouse died. I replaced them and went back to answering emails. When I clicked the "forward" or "reply" button , a full page text in an email shrank to about one inch. Changing the font size did not correct the problem. HELP it's your zoom setting. Hold ctrl and roll the mouse wheel to increase. Depending on the mouse, you could have accidently pressed a mouse button and changed it when you changed the batteries. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.o...

2 sumif functions in one formula
Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula and return the same results. If so, how would the formula be written? Thanks. Todd If you are to return the same results why do you need 2 formulas? It would be good to give specifics with examples. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04d201c3b391$f9f5ef20$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula > and return the same results. If so, how would the formula > be written? Thanks. > > T...

Need help on this....thanks

I need Help

need help badly

Ones in pivot table
Hello, I import my pivot table data from an external data source (MS Access query) and it displays like this: http://www.geocities.com/blinton25/Count.jpg instead of showing values. If I double click on any of "2's", a new worksheet is generated showing me the actual values. How do I make the values show like this: http://www.geocities.com/blinton25/Count2.jpg Brenda, Post a small table of your data: you probably need to change what data you are using in the pibot table, and change from count to sum for the fields. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Brenda Love" &...

adding columns past IV
Is it possible to expand columns in excel past IV? If so how? Can it go to ZZ? beyond?? Help Danno, Take a look at your other post in excel.worksheet.functions Sorry to say, a consensus has been reached and the answer is a resounding NO. Dan E "danno" <drobert@winnipeg.ca> wrote in message news:26b9201c38ea2$9185ff70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to expand columns in excel past IV? > If so how? > > Can it go to ZZ? beyond?? > Help Not in Excel "danno" <drobert@winnipeg.ca> wrote in message news:26b9201c38ea2$9185ff70$a601280a@phx...

Need Help Despertly!

Variable Column Sort
I need to aIphabetize columns with a set start column, but a variable range for the end column. Thanks, Bern Bernie, Please give us an example so thatr we can see what you are trying to do. -- Hope this helps Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand Please do not forget to rate this reply. "Bernie" wrote: > I need to aIphabetize columns with a set start column, but a variable > range for the end column. > > > Thanks, > Bern > > Hi Bern I believe in another posting you said you wanted to keep columns A and B fixed. The following code will do that. Ame...

Index/Match to look up a value in one workbook and insert it into.
I need to be able to look up a value in a range on one Excel workbook using a code in another workbook. Can I use Index/Match for this function; looking for the value in one workbook and inserting it into another workbook? Currently, I use Vlookup, which is cumbersom and awkward and prone to error. Thank you. You can use =index(match()), but I think you may have as much trouble with that as you have with =vlookup(). You may want to look at the formula tips that Debra Dalgleish shares: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html and http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html Mayb...

Plug in needed