need HELP removing box with question mark PLEASE

Hi.  I exported a list of contacts from microsoft outlook as a .csv
file.  In the notes section of the outlook file I have items that are
separated with a carriage return which then has notes on the next line
and next line and so on.

Well when viewing the data in excel, those carriage returns show up as
a box with a question mark.

Well I was going to use the "text to columns" command, but that won't
work with that pesky box with a question mark inside.

So unless someone has another idea, I need to replace that thing with
a comma, so then I can separate those lines into individual columns.

Thanks so much.

Ward
0
wardhawg (3)
11/26/2007 2:43:51 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can use my CellView add-in to examine exactly what character(s) are
represented by the box and question mark. Once you have determined the
character(s), you can use Find/Replace to change it to the appropriate
character.

See http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/CellView.aspx

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Ward" <wardhawg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi.  I exported a list of contacts from microsoft outlook as a .csv
> file.  In the notes section of the outlook file I have items that are
> separated with a carriage return which then has notes on the next line
> and next line and so on.
>
> Well when viewing the data in excel, those carriage returns show up as
> a box with a question mark.
>
> Well I was going to use the "text to columns" command, but that won't
> work with that pesky box with a question mark inside.
>
> So unless someone has another idea, I need to replace that thing with
> a comma, so then I can separate those lines into individual columns.
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> Ward

0
chip1 (1821)
11/26/2007 3:07:49 PM
Thanks for the reply Chip.

I've downloaded and installed the viewer in excel 2007.  It tells me
that I have a few squares (013 and 010).  That is the offending
characters.  I'm still not sure has to how I am to use the find/
replace command to eliminate it however.  I tell excel to find 013 and
it gives me nothing.

I'm on the right track, but just no quite there yet.

Thanks for some more help.

Ward
0
wardhawg (3)

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Please Fix the NG Microsoft!
This NG has so many posts that have nothing to do with CRM that it's getting to the point of making this NG virtually useless for CRM. Please fix this problem Microsoft so we don't have to sort through all the posts looking for the few CRM posts. -- Brandon IT Director Office Equipment & Supplies at http://www.presentationsdirect.com I agree this NG is getting cluttered again, but I'd rather have MS spend more time on getting CRM to be a workable product. In the very least they should respond more to people's issues here,......... -G "Brandon S." <bsm...

Need to test a mobo

text boxes filled with color
When I fill any text bos with color while creating anm e-mail publication, the text boxes are converted into images instead of text, thus making my file size bigger. How to change this? Lavanya <Lavanya@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > When I fill any text bos with color while creating anm e-mail > publication, the text boxes are converted into images instead of > text, thus making my file size bigger. How to change this? There is no way to change it. This is the way Publisher works. Publisher is not designed for outputting small HTML code. --...

Popup Form with Combo Box
I have a popup form with a combobox to select a field from a query to generate a report. The combobox however needs to pull from mnemonic2 and mnemonic3 fields in table PDM. I cannot make an appended filed in the table as it is on a server and is unchangable. 1. Can I make an appended field in the query for the 2 fields to which I can attach the form to open when the report starts? I have tried to combine the fields and that just merges the 2 different mnemonics for the item. I just want to search both columns for the mnemonic enetered by the user. 2. Can the combo box search both fields wit...

How do I remove Outlook and keep the rest of Office in place???
I have Outlook and Outlook Express both on my computer but Outlook wants to take over for Outlook Express. I don't have a need for Outlook at all. Can I remove Outlook and keep the rest of office in tact and in place? reddman@windstream.net Yes, modify your Office installation to remove OL "Reddman" <Reddman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EAB9429D-B0D2-41C4-A0FC-737E3D0CD29F@microsoft.com... > I have Outlook and Outlook Express both on my computer but Outlook wants to > take over for Outlook Express. I don't have a need for Outlook at all. C...

Help needed

Combo Box Text Alignment
Is it possible to tweek the text alignment in a combo box other then the standard "Left-Right-Center" preset options ? Thanks - George What specifically are you looking for? Assuming you use a query as the RowSource, you've always got the option of concatenating spaces in front (or after) a field. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1366215-05A0-45BB-A27B-272A47458FC8@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to tweek the text alignment in a ...

Help with formula 12-17-09

Removing attactments from sents messages
Hi O'2000 sr1 Is there a way to remove the attainments from all my sent messages in one go? TIA Dave F. ye ----- Dave F wrote: ---- H O'2000 sr Is there a way to remove the attainments from all my sent messages in on go TI Dave F. ...

Need help on this....thanks

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

Cannot permanently remove formatting toolbar
In Outlook 2003 mail send I have the formatting toolbar visible. This then hides other icons e.g. attach. I can use tools/customise to remove the formatting bar but this does not stick and on opening a new send mail the formatting bar has returned. How do I permanently remove it? Beemer Beemer <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote: > In Outlook 2003 mail send I have the formatting toolbar visible. > This then hides other icons e.g. attach. I can use tools/customise > to remove the formatting bar but this does not stick and on opening a > new send mail the formatting bar ha...

connections
I'm in the Internet Mail settings, exchange 5.5, trying to block one specific IP address- what do I put for the subnet mask? It won't let you just leave it blank. Put in all 255s. -Peter "dlw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1c08301c42197$0649e1a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I'm in the Internet Mail settings, exchange 5.5, trying to > block one specific IP address- what do I put for the > subnet mask? It won't let you just leave it blank. ...

I need Help

need help badly

newb-like question on threads
OK, so I thought I knew what a 'thread' was. But maybe not anymore... Basically, I just took the quick & dirty view that a thread was just a path of execution for an app. But anyway... I found this line of documentation for a function I wanted to use: "XXXEvent() does not return until the specified event occurs. For this reason, it is best used inside of a thread." Um... OK, newbiness now. How would I (not that I want to) get this function 'outside' of a thread? Thanks. djarvinen@gmail.com wrote: > OK, so I thought I knew what a 'thread' was. ...

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...