Need help finding the right function, please

The cells in Col A contain one of four values.  The cells in Col D
contain dates.  I want to return the highest date for each of the four
values.  I'm having a difficult time understanding how the different
look up functions work to allow me to get =(MAX(all dates in Cold D
where Col A = "x")).

The Help files for both LOOKUP and VLOOKUP indicate the values in the
column to be searched must be sorted in ascending order.  That can't
happen in this sheet.  I'm stuck with them as they are.

A drop-kick in the right direction would be much appreciated!!

Ed
0
prof_ofwhat (194)
9/19/2008 8:24:26 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try

=MAX(IF(A1:A50="x",D1:D50))

entered with ctrl + shift & enter

format result as date or you'll get a serial number

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The cells in Col A contain one of four values.  The cells in Col D
> contain dates.  I want to return the highest date for each of the four
> values.  I'm having a difficult time understanding how the different
> look up functions work to allow me to get =(MAX(all dates in Cold D
> where Col A = "x")).
>
> The Help files for both LOOKUP and VLOOKUP indicate the values in the
> column to be searched must be sorted in ascending order.  That can't
> happen in this sheet.  I'm stuck with them as they are.
>
> A drop-kick in the right direction would be much appreciated!!
>
> Ed

0
peo.sjoblom (169)
9/19/2008 8:35:54 PM
This is an ARRAY formula that must be entered using ctrl+shift+enter

=MAX(IF($a$1:$a$14="x",$d$1:$d$14))

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The cells in Col A contain one of four values.  The cells in Col D
> contain dates.  I want to return the highest date for each of the four
> values.  I'm having a difficult time understanding how the different
> look up functions work to allow me to get =(MAX(all dates in Cold D
> where Col A = "x")).
>
> The Help files for both LOOKUP and VLOOKUP indicate the values in the
> column to be searched must be sorted in ascending order.  That can't
> happen in this sheet.  I'm stuck with them as they are.
>
> A drop-kick in the right direction would be much appreciated!!
>
> Ed

0
dguillett1 (2488)
9/19/2008 8:46:05 PM
Works like a champ!  All these look-ups, and all I needed was IF?!

Is there a primer somewhere that gives real-world data examples
(unlike the Help files!!) and shows which function best returns the
data needed?

Ed

On Sep 19, 1:35=A0pm, "Peo Sjoblom" <peo.sjob...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Try
>
> =3DMAX(IF(A1:A50=3D"x",D1:D50))
>
> entered with ctrl + shift & enter
>
> format result as date or you'll get a serial number
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:2ba0b7eb-6839-4=
878-b9cc-913cc9dcbf10@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

> > The cells in Col A contain one of four values. =A0The cells in Col D
> > contain dates. =A0I want to return the highest date for each of the fou=
> > values. =A0I'm having a difficult time understanding how the different
> > look up functions work to allow me to get =3D(MAX(all dates in Cold D
> > where Col A =3D "x")).
>
> > The Help files for both LOOKUP and VLOOKUP indicate the values in the
> > column to be searched must be sorted in ascending order. =A0That can't
> > happen in this sheet. =A0I'm stuck with them as they are.
>
> > A drop-kick in the right direction would be much appreciated!!
>
> > Ed- Hide quoted text -

prof_ofwhat (194)
9/19/2008 9:08:29 PM
There are some, I might create one on my homepage though

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ArrayFormulas.aspx

--

On Sep 19, 1:35 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" <peo.sjob...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Try
>
> =MAX(IF(A1:A50="x",D1:D50))
>
> entered with ctrl + shift & enter
>
> format result as date or you'll get a serial number
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in
> messagenews:2ba0b7eb-6839-4878-b9cc-913cc9dcbf10@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
>

> > The cells in Col A contain one of four values. The cells in Col D
> > contain dates. I want to return the highest date for each of the four
> > values. I'm having a difficult time understanding how the different
> > look up functions work to allow me to get =(MAX(all dates in Cold D
> > where Col A = "x")).
>
> > The Help files for both LOOKUP and VLOOKUP indicate the values in the
> > column to be searched must be sorted in ascending order. That can't
> > happen in this sheet. I'm stuck with them as they are.
>
> > A drop-kick in the right direction would be much appreciated!!
>
> > Ed- Hide quoted text -

peo.sjoblom (169)

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

regarding wince's debugging function...
If ms doesn't provide a source code, source code tracking deep into assembly code when step by step code running using kitl. In that case, is it possible to know the corresponding library file currently running? You can see the call stack window to see where you are running from -- Luca Calligaris (MVP-Windows Embedded) l.calligaris.nospam@eurotech.it.nospam www.eurotech.it "daniel" <daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:26BBF36B-FF30-47DB-98D1-79134466DF70@microsoft.com... > If ms doesn't provide a source code, sourc...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Outlook 2007 Can't find older emails
Two of my coworkers were bashing Outlook today because the instant search wasn't finding some of their older emails. It seems to be emails that are older than about 90 days it can't find them. The pst files that contain them are definitely open in outlook and the indexing service said it was complete. On my box, same setup - outlook 2007 and windows xp - i'm getting the results i expect. its finding emails from several years back. Any thoughts? are there any "only index emails younger than X days" settings or anything like that? Thanks in advance! are they usi...

Macro help needed........

Please Fix the NG Microsoft!
This NG has so many posts that have nothing to do with CRM that it's getting to the point of making this NG virtually useless for CRM. Please fix this problem Microsoft so we don't have to sort through all the posts looking for the few CRM posts. -- Brandon IT Director Office Equipment & Supplies at http://www.presentationsdirect.com I agree this NG is getting cluttered again, but I'd rather have MS spend more time on getting CRM to be a workable product. In the very least they should respond more to people's issues here,......... -G "Brandon S." <bsm...

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Help with formula 12-17-09

2 sumif functions in one formula
Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula and return the same results. If so, how would the formula be written? Thanks. Todd If you are to return the same results why do you need 2 formulas? It would be good to give specifics with examples. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04d201c3b391$f9f5ef20$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula > and return the same results. If so, how would the formula > be written? Thanks. > > T...

Need help on this....thanks

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

I need Help

need help badly

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...

Help, MVP!
Milly, Sue, Vince.. Can you help 'fix' this- I have still not found the cure, thank you! Outlook 2000 (Internet Only) is set to check for mail ever five minutes. However, when it does so, Outlook now insists on displaying the dialog box stating that the "Requested tasks were completed successfully." The dialog box has a "Hide this message" box which is checked, and the push pin is not 'set'. I must have messed up a setting when I reset my toolbars... (issue resolved - I accidentally pinned the toolbar to the desktop, went nuts till I figure out a doub...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Find & replace a value in an unknown cell location
Is there a function I can use to find a text string in a particular column - say in column (H) for string 'Mytotal' to be replaced by 'Subtotal' when the cell location of 'Mytotal' is unknown only the column is known? And also is there a function that can find a certain value in a column then delete the row below the found value? e.g in column (H) find 'Subtotal' then delete the row below the occurance of 'Subtotal'. Help is much appreciated with this one? You can use MATCH to find where "Mytotal" is located, assuming you know either th...