need help extracting partial data in a range of cells

if a have a column of cells, say from A1 to A150, and each cell contains a
10 digit number, for example xxx1236xxx, how can I parse, or remove the
first 3 digits and the last 3 digits in all the cells?

0
wkaat2s (2)
3/21/2008 11:37:26 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:37:26 -0400, "Walter Kaatz" <wkaat2s@comcast.net> wrote:

>if a have a column of cells, say from A1 to A150, and each cell contains a
>10 digit number, for example xxx1236xxx, how can I parse, or remove the
>first 3 digits and the last 3 digits in all the cells?

If there will never be a leading zero, then simply:

=MID(A1,4,4) and fill down.  This will return the value as text, so if there is
a leading zero in the four digits being returned, that will be retained.

If you wish to convert it to a numeric value, you can precede the formula with
a double unary:

=--MID(A1,4,4)

If there might be leading zero's in your ten digit numbers, then:

=MID(TEXT(A1,"0000000000"),4,4)

or, numerically:

=MOD(INT(A1/10^3),10^4)

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
3/22/2008 12:42:01 AM
Try this

=MID(A1,4,len(A1)-6))
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Walter Kaatz" wrote:

> if a have a column of cells, say from A1 to A150, and each cell contains a
> 10 digit number, for example xxx1236xxx, how can I parse, or remove the
> first 3 digits and the last 3 digits in all the cells?

Hi Walter
See if this is what you want, Just for test select "A1"
Go to 'Data/Text to Columns/ Select Fixed spaces and fallow the menu.
Regards
Cimjet

"Walter Kaatz" <wkaat2s@comcast.net> wrote in message
> if a have a column of cells, say from A1 to A150, and each cell contains a
> 10 digit number, for example xxx1236xxx, how can I parse, or remove the
> first 3 digits and the last 3 digits in all the cells?

0
300 (30)
3/22/2008 12:45:33 AM
Try
=MID(A1,4,4)*1
The Mid formula removes the first and last three digits but the result would
be text. The *1 converts it back to a number,
Regards,
Alan.
"Walter Kaatz" <wkaat2s@comcast.net> wrote in message
> if a have a column of cells, say from A1 to A150, and each cell contains a
> 10 digit number, for example xxx1236xxx, how can I parse, or remove the
> first 3 digits and the last 3 digits in all the cells?

0
alan111 (581)
3/22/2008 12:47:49 AM
Thanks to all for the help.  =MID did the trick!
"Walter Kaatz" <wkaat2s@comcast.net> wrote in message
> if a have a column of cells, say from A1 to A150, and each cell contains a
> 10 digit number, for example xxx1236xxx, how can I parse, or remove the
> first 3 digits and the last 3 digits in all the cells?

0
wkaat2s (2)
3/23/2008 1:30:03 PM
This group continues to impress me to the hilt. Should have made paper
copies of notable solutions years ago.

The formula used to solve Walter's problem would be very useful to extract
NPAs and NXXs from telephone numbers.

Wayne

"Walter Kaatz" <wkaat2s@comcast.net> wrote in message
> if a have a column of cells, say from A1 to A150, and each cell contains a
> 10 digit number, for example xxx1236xxx, how can I parse, or remove the
> first 3 digits and the last 3 digits in all the cells?

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Extracting Data #2
Dear All, I need a help on data extracting... I have a data abt 12 col and 40 rows with header in each col. the header like --- Inv no, Inv Dt, Customer Name, amount, chq no Chq date etc.... there are mutiple records (ie. rows) for a customer, i want to lis all the records / rows pertining to a customer and make report in a diff worksheet. I can do this using advance filter, but if i change the the custome name resepective rows will not get changed dynamically, again i have to do the whole process of advance filter.. cud u plz suggest same other method so that records are dynamicall chan...

How do I plot Excel data on a floorplan?
I'm trying to find a way to plot data from an Excel worksheet on a floorplan diagram. The data reflects room assignments for a hospital, so some data stays the same for days while other data changes on a twice a day basis. I want to enable someone to be able to enter the data on the worksheet and have excel output the names, etc in the proper room assignments on the floorplan automatically. The users could then print this floorplan to locate the assignments more easily. I can either scan a hardcopy of the floorplan, or I have access to Visio so I could also quickly construct a d...

Partial payment to mortgage
I would like to be able to make a "partial" payment to a reacurring bill (my mortgage) every two weeks when I receive my paycheck. This would make it easier to pay my largest bill (mortgage) at the end of the month. Currently I just subtract what ever I feel like paying in my check register but leave my Money file alone until the end of the month. Thanks for any help. Schedule an additional loan payment. (Bill, category Loan Payment:[name of loan acct].) Money may want to assign some interest to both. This should work out, but you might want to open a new file and play around ...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.
I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep getting the #REF and #NAME errors. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. Name the actual cell and then reference the cell's name. -- Cutter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/membe...

Need to test a mobo

Data Lables, series and Scatterplots
Is there any way to get excel scatterplots to recognize a third column (or row) as a series for a scatterplot? FOr example I have data as: Sequence Long Lat 1 49.12 28.05 2 49.17 28.34 3 49.5 28.48 4 49.17 28.36 I would like to plot Long(itude) as X axis and Lat(itude) as Y on scatterplot (which I can do). But I would also like to identify the sequence number fopr each point. I thought I could do that by getting the Sequence numbers to represent a series, but can't sseem to get that in a scatterplot. Is there any other chart...

Help needed

Help with formula 12-17-09

Need help on this....thanks

calculating in a changing range
I am trying to find a maximum value in a range that will be changing (in starting position, and length). Here is an example, this is cells A1 to A13: 2 1 0 1 2 3 4 3 2 1 0 1 2 I want to find the max between zero points (In this case, there would be one max, and it would be 4). The number of zero points and the number of cells between them will change. Anyone have some idea of how to go about this, or anything to even get me started? Thank you! -- gkaste ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gkaste's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?...

Repeat Data from Cell Above
Hello All: I have a report that has been imported in to XL and am trying to wor with the data but have a pain staking task ahead. Example: Serial No TitleName Units OrderNo 35270 International Views 20 123 15 667 18 445 50 552 41155 RoloText 12 124 My goal is to have the TitleName repeat in the blank cells, as th values in the adj. cells belong to TitleName. TIA, Dheera -- Dheeraj_ -----------------------------------------------------------...

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

In Cell Editing
Hi there: Been using Excel for years but haven't asked this question until now... Could have saved myself a few days likely! Anyway, say I type BACON in a cell and press enter or tab - the focus moves to the cell below. If I arrow back up to the cell that has BACON in it, how do I start editing it without double clicking on it with the mouse? I don't want to delete BACON and start again, I want to edit BACON. After I'm done, I want to eat bacon. haha Thanks Press F2 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in ...

I need Help

need help badly

Sort range changes during sort
After highlighting the columns and rows I want sorted, I select data and sort. At this point the sort range changes to include the entire row from A to IV of each row I selected. I've searched the options screen and help menu, but don't know why this is happening. Thanks in Advance. This is a complete guess--I couldn't duplicate what happened to you in xl2003. Do you have merged cells in that range? If yes, maybe that's the problem. coffedrinker2003 wrote: > > After highlighting the columns and rows I want sorted, I select data and > sort. At this point the so...

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...