Need formula to Identify Cells that contain both Numbers and Text

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that has some cells in a column containing both
text and numbers, i.e. a phone number, city and state. In that same
column I have cells that only contain a city and state. I need to come
up with a formula that will identify which cells do not contain
numbers in them.

Please advise,

Steve

0
sspatriots (78)
3/22/2007 8:58:22 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Steve

If the number is always first then in a column near it (We'll say the
number/text is in column A enter)

=IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(LEFT(A1,1))),"Number","Text")

Some may be overkill but I add VALUE to make sure it tries to parse the
first character to a number

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Steve" <sspatriots@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a spreadsheet that has some cells in a column containing both
> text and numbers, i.e. a phone number, city and state. In that same
> column I have cells that only contain a city and state. I need to come
> up with a formula that will identify which cells do not contain
> numbers in them.
>

> Please advise,
>
> Steve

And if the number is *not* the first character in the cell, you might try
this:

=IF(ISERROR(LOOKUP(99^99,--MID(A1,MIN(SEARCH({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"0123456789")),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))))),"NO
Num","Number")
--

HTH,

RD

"Nick Hodge" <nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS> wrote in message
Steve

If the number is always first then in a column near it (We'll say the
number/text is in column A enter)

=IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(LEFT(A1,1))),"Number","Text")

Some may be overkill but I add VALUE to make sure it tries to parse the
first character to a number

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk

"Steve" <sspatriots@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a spreadsheet that has some cells in a column containing both
> text and numbers, i.e. a phone number, city and state. In that same
> column I have cells that only contain a city and state. I need to come
> up with a formula that will identify which cells do not contain
> numbers in them.
>

> Please advise,
>
> Steve

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
3/23/2007 1:02:53 AM
Nick - This last formula took care of things perfectly....Thanks,
Steve

On Mar 22, 9:02 pm, "RagDyeR" <ragd...@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:
> And if the number is *not* the first character in the cell, you might try
> this:
>
> =3DIF(ISERROR(LOOKUP(99^99,--MID(A1,MIN(SEARCH({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"=
0123=AD456789")),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))))),"NO
> Num","Number")
> --
>
> HTH,
>
> RD
=3D=3D=3D=3D
=3D=3D=3D=3D

> "Nick Hodge" <nick_hodgeTAKETHIS...@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS> wrote in message

> Steve
>
> If the number is always first then in a column near it (We'll say the
> number/text is in column A enter)
>
> =3DIF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(LEFT(A1,1))),"Number","Text")
>
> Some may be overkill but I add VALUE to make sure it tries to parse the
> first character to a number
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
> nick_hodgeTAKETHIS...@zen.co.ukANDTHISwww.nickhodge.co.uk
>
> "Steve" <sspatri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > I have a spreadsheet that has some cells in a column containing both
> > text and numbers, i.e. a phone number, city and state. In that same
> > column I have cells that only contain a city and state. I need to come
> > up with a formula that will identify which cells do not contain
> > numbers in them.
>
> > Please advise,
>
> > Steve- Hide quoted text -

sspatriots (78)
3/23/2007 10:52:04 AM
Well ... you almost got it right ... the name is Rick.

But ... how would you know that?<bg>

Anyway, appreciate the feed-back.
--

Regards,

RD

Nick - This last formula took care of things perfectly....Thanks,
Steve

On Mar 22, 9:02 pm, "RagDyeR" <ragd...@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:
> And if the number is *not* the first character in the cell, you might try
> this:
>
> =IF(ISERROR(LOOKUP(99^99,--MID(A1,MIN(SEARCH({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"0123�456789")),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))))),"NO
> Num","Number")
> --
>
> HTH,
>
> RD
>
> "Nick Hodge" <nick_hodgeTAKETHIS...@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS> wrote in message

> Steve
>
> If the number is always first then in a column near it (We'll say the
> number/text is in column A enter)
>
> =IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(LEFT(A1,1))),"Number","Text")
>
> Some may be overkill but I add VALUE to make sure it tries to parse the
> first character to a number
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
> nick_hodgeTAKETHIS...@zen.co.ukANDTHISwww.nickhodge.co.uk
>
> "Steve" <sspatri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > I have a spreadsheet that has some cells in a column containing both
> > text and numbers, i.e. a phone number, city and state. In that same
> > column I have cells that only contain a city and state. I need to come
> > up with a formula that will identify which cells do not contain
> > numbers in them.
>
> > Please advise,
>
> > Steve- Hide quoted text -

ragdyer1 (4060)

how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ?
how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? You can't. Why would you? The Outlook Address Book is only a list of electronic addresses to which you can address messages. Why would you need a phone number there? Phone numbers, like all Contact data, are stored in your Contacts Folder. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Ingaga" <Ingaga @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C2224F0-0E8B-4E20-A2AC-200B044053FD@microsoft.com... > how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? What in the world is the purpse of the Outlook address book whe...

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

text boxes filled with color
When I fill any text bos with color while creating anm e-mail publication, the text boxes are converted into images instead of text, thus making my file size bigger. How to change this? Lavanya <Lavanya@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > When I fill any text bos with color while creating anm e-mail > publication, the text boxes are converted into images instead of > text, thus making my file size bigger. How to change this? There is no way to change it. This is the way Publisher works. Publisher is not designed for outputting small HTML code. --...

Need to test a mobo

Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.
I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep getting the #REF and #NAME errors. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. Name the actual cell and then reference the cell's name. -- Cutter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/membe...

A full page of email text shrinks to one inch or less w/ new batte
I was answering emails and everyhting was fine. The batteries in my wireless mouse died. I replaced them and went back to answering emails. When I clicked the "forward" or "reply" button , a full page text in an email shrank to about one inch. Changing the font size did not correct the problem. HELP it's your zoom setting. Hold ctrl and roll the mouse wheel to increase. Depending on the mouse, you could have accidently pressed a mouse button and changed it when you changed the batteries. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.o...

Combo Box Text Alignment
Is it possible to tweek the text alignment in a combo box other then the standard "Left-Right-Center" preset options ? Thanks - George What specifically are you looking for? Assuming you use a query as the RowSource, you've always got the option of concatenating spaces in front (or after) a field. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1366215-05A0-45BB-A27B-272A47458FC8@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to tweek the text alignment in a ...

Help needed

2 sumif functions in one formula
Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula and return the same results. If so, how would the formula be written? Thanks. Todd If you are to return the same results why do you need 2 formulas? It would be good to give specifics with examples. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04d201c3b391$f9f5ef20$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula > and return the same results. If so, how would the formula > be written? Thanks. > > T...

Need help on this....thanks

Help with formula 12-17-09

I need Help

need help badly

In Cell Editing
Hi there: Been using Excel for years but haven't asked this question until now... Could have saved myself a few days likely! Anyway, say I type BACON in a cell and press enter or tab - the focus moves to the cell below. If I arrow back up to the cell that has BACON in it, how do I start editing it without double clicking on it with the mouse? I don't want to delete BACON and start again, I want to edit BACON. After I'm done, I want to eat bacon. haha Thanks Press F2 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in ...

Missing Text #5
Hello, I have a problem with Outlook XP (2002) that I can't find a solution for. When this particular user receives a reply to an email she sent, the frist couple of lines of the reply text will appear in the auto preview (the preview in the message listing in the inbox) but when she opens the message itself by double clicking it, that reply text is missing. I've updated Outlook to SP3 and even tried reinstalling it once. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks, Rod ...

sumif formula required
Hello I have only basic knowledge of excel and need a formula to extrac information. A B C Client Process Sqm CEK Fibre 100 RDF Gloss 200 ERF Emul 150 CEK Fibre 100 What formula should I use to extract all CEK clients who purchase th fibre process giving total sqm. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Find & replace a value in an unknown cell location
Is there a function I can use to find a text string in a particular column - say in column (H) for string 'Mytotal' to be replaced by 'Subtotal' when the cell location of 'Mytotal' is unknown only the column is known? And also is there a function that can find a certain value in a column then delete the row below the found value? e.g in column (H) find 'Subtotal' then delete the row below the occurance of 'Subtotal'. Help is much appreciated with this one? You can use MATCH to find where "Mytotal" is located, assuming you know either th...