NAICS Code - Hirerachy Cell Format

Hello,

I have a list of NAICS codes formatted as numbers that I would like to
format as hierarchical text.

Current List

Desired List

Does anyone know how to change the cell format so that the "Current
List" becomes the "Desired List"?

Thank you in advance for your help.

0
andersmw (2)
7/26/2007 9:10:21 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

It looks like you could preformat that column as text and enter your values as
text.  Then you could sort the data as text.

Some versions of excel will ask if you want to sort values that look like
numbers as numbers.  You should say no to that prompt.

And just changing the format of the cells won't change the existing values to
text.

One way to change them to text is to insert a helper column and use a formula
like:
=a1&""

And drag down.

Then you could edit|copy this column and edit|paste special|values over the
original column.

Then delete that helper column.

--

Dave Peterson
0
>Current List
>10
>12
>101
>112
>
>Desired List
>10
>101
>112
>12

Select current list, run the menu command Data > Text to Columns,
select Fixed Width, click the Next button twice to move to step 3 of
the wizard, select Text in the Column Data Format section, click
Finish. Then sort the list, and when the Sort Warning dialog appears,
choose Sort numbers and numbers stored as text separately.

0
hrlngrv (1990)

eConnect Code Help
I need some help with a section of VB.NET/eConnect code (8.0.4). I need to be able to loop through multiple times for each PAMiscLogLineInsert. Unfortunately it looks like eConnect requires a new instance of "taPAMiscLogLineInsert_ItemsTaPAMiscLogLineInsert" for each loop. If I make "MiscLogLine" an array it won't let me use the "New" tag. If I use it anyway like ... Dim MiscLogLine2(size1) As taPAMiscLogLineInsert_ItemsTaPAMiscLogLineInsert I get and error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." as soon as I hit the first ...

wireless Bar Code readers
Any one using palm pilot or palm pc with bar code scanners for checking in inventory into PO's? Would like comments - complaints regarding use! Thanks in advance! Jack We have customers that use Ipaqs with socket scanners. The customers that have a personal interest in the asset have no problems. However, the customers that have employees that use this setup, find the replacement cost frustrating. It only takes one replacement round to equal the cost of a more ruggedized solution like a Symbol product. If I can be of assistance to you... steveg@newestech.com 503-235-4656 ------...

Drop down menu formatting
Hi all, I need help linking a row of information to a specific option in a drop down menu. My drop down menu consists of 2 options: "Complete" and "Incomplete". I am trying to make a list of "Things required to complete a job" and next to each item include the drop down menu to select either Complete/Incomplete. My aim is to have the corresponding row change colour, or possibly even disappear, when I select "Complete" from the drop down menu and return back to normal when "Incomplete" is selected. This would enable me to highlight and f...

chart Label text referencing worksheet cell value
I have a very simple bar chart that I want to display the values and the percentages of those values. For some reason, the percentage option is disabled under chart options, so i thought I would use a label instead, and send the calculation to it so it is dynamic. Sounds simple right? Wrong! I can only pass raw text into the label: Selection.Characters.Text = "100%" the following does not work, and the label disappears: .Selection.Characters.Text = Sheets("tbl_Voids").Range("A6794").Value is there a way of doing this? -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com htt...

Macro that looks at cell contents
I have a column filled with ID numbers. Some begin with E. example E12353. Other ID numbers are 5 digits long. example 12345. Every day I copy and paste these numbers from a program and into my excel spreadsheet. Along with these numbers is important data that I also copy and paste into the spreadsheet. On the other side of the company they use the same ID's but add "00" to the end of all 5 digit ID numbers. It is not important to either side that these numbers dont match so they dont care. I have to deal with combining these ID's to get good information multiple times...

NAICS Code Cell Format
Hello, I recently downloaded some US Census data (NAICS codes) into Excel and they have a cell format that I am unable to change. When I sort a list of numbers (e.g. 10, 12, 101, 111, 112), rather than sorting these numbers from lowest to highest (or vice versa), the numbers are sorted as follows: CURRENT SORT 10 101 111 112 12 DESIRED SORT 10 12 101 111 112 The list is being sorted as if the numbers have a hidden decimal after the first two numbers. I have tried to altering the number format to no avail. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can change the cell format so that the number...

Create group out of vba code
Hi, When a new database is created a group 'Favorites' exists already. I would like to create additional ones, but with vba code. Furthermore it would be great to assign tables and queries to the groups which have been created. Is that possible? Thanks, Ralf The code below should get you going and the original source is listed if you wish to looked it up further. Public Sub CreateUserGroup(strGroupName As String, _ strPID As String) ' Create a group ' Source: Graham R Seach - MS Access MVP ' http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.ac...

How to Rename a module using VBA code
When the Excel project is active, how can I rename one of the project' module. Saying that I have a module named "parameters", I exported thi module and then deleted it. At this time, the excel workbook is stil open and active and I want to import the same module. How can I d this? It doesn't work although i tried several methods. It seems the modul is still in memory although it disappear in the VBA view of th project. Can somebody help me on this? I REALLY REALLY need to solve thi emergence very soon. Please please help me. Allisso -- Message posted from http://www.Exc...

How to set send options by code
Does anybody know how to set the send options for an e-mail by code? When I create a new e-mail, I can set the send options manually this way: -Select File-Properties of the new e-mail -Click on the button Send options A window will appear where you can set the properties for the attachments. I want this setting to be Mime for the message. If I send a message with an attachment when this setting is not set to Mime, then users who recieve this e-mail and read it with a webmail client, are not able to see nor open the attachment. I want to send e-mails with an attachment by code. Sending the e-...

code
I made a big mistake I threw away my access code and my numbers of uses is fading away which i just got the darn laptop what can i do to get another one please help What access code? Without the product key you couldn't have installed the software. So, that cannot be what you are referring to. If you mean activation code, there isn't any. You need to connect to the Internet and the software will communicate with the mother ship. Or, call MS; the activation dialog box should give you the number to call. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and ...

Excel 2007
Hello, I'd like to make so that whenever I create a new document in Excel that the "Page Setup" is set to scale of "fits to 1 page wide by 1 page tall". I'm sick of creating a new document and always having to go to Page Setup so that everything prints on one page. Don't you think this should be a default setup for any new documents? Thanks in advance, Dza "dza7" <dvpetta@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b2f6bbd5-7137-4b07-ae47-be23dc606ba3@b9g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > I'd like to make so that whenever I create a...

Hard Coding an FRx report
I'm trying to create a FRx Balance Sheet for the years 2009 & 2008 that match our audited reports. Sorry to say but some year end adjustments to the year 2008 were made in the year 2009. Any thoughts on how to "hard code" some adjustments in the reports as if the entries were made in the correct year? Or maybe there would be another way to do this? This would be a (2) column reprot when presented. Thanks ...

How to Stop Worksheet_Change event from running during code execution
I'm sorry If I've asked this before but I can't find an answer to it. I have the following 2 events in a worksheet module.... Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) I run some codes, either in UserForms or general procedures that make changes to this worksheet. Q. Is there a way to by-pass those two events somehow? As an example I have a uf that comes up if a cell is selected in that sheet. So I need those worksheet_Change events to work at that point. But then, the uf does some stuff like inputing ...

Payout reason codes
Can someone point me to where in the database the payout reason codes are stored? thanks, Store Ops Manager, Database, Reason Codes, Type = Payout "Jason" wrote: > Can someone point me to where in the database the payout reason codes are > stored? > > thanks, Thanks. What I meant (and asked poorly) was if I wanted to design a custom report to show that info where would I need to look? Thanks, "Wendy_I" wrote: > Store Ops Manager, Database, Reason Codes, Type = Payout > > > > "Jason" wrote: > > > Can someo...

Sort several workbooks using code
I am looking to run code that will sort several workbooks even when they are closed. The code would be executed via a master workbook which will also be sorted. Is this possible? I'm not aware of sorting records in a CLOSED workbook, but what you can do is this. Create some button on the master workbook and let it open the other workbook, sort the other workbook and close the other workbook. Accompanied with Application.ScreenUpdating (but also depending on the amount of records) you will hardly notice the sorting actions. Does this help ? -- Regards; Mark ...

the code is not respond
I have this code and it is working very well when I fill cells manually Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Selection.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Not Intersect(Target, Columns("L:L")) Is Nothing Then If Target <= 0 Or Not IsNumeric(Target) Then Exit Sub (If Target > Target.Offset(0, -10) Then Target.Offset(0, 3) = Target.Offset(0, 3) + Target.Offset(0, -9 (If Target < Target.Offset(0, -10) Then Target.Offset(0, 4) = Target.Offset(0, 4) + Target.Offset(0, -9 ( If Target = Target.Offset(0, -10) Then Target.Offset(0, 5) = Target.Offset(0, ...

How get rid of reveal codes?
How get rid of reveal codes? the symbols are all over my document!! How do I get rid of them?? Try:- ALT + F9 If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Christa" wrote: > How get rid of reveal codes? the symbols are all over my document!! How do > I get rid of them?? Ctrl+* or Ctrl+Shift+8. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Christa" <Christa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

DataGridView -Different icon display in each cell of column
Hi All, I need to display different icons based on the value stored in the database. for e.g (if value = "Apple", then apple.jpg will be shown). I have values like Col1 Col2 (Image) AA Apple BB Orange CC Grapes DD Kiwi Also I need to change the icon on mouse hover. Please help. Thanks in Advance ...

TAB name in cell
I want to link the name if a workseet tab into the cell is there an easy way to do this See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/cell_function.html In article <1135361732.924885.88570@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "ixlr84fun" <ixlr84fun@gmail.com> wrote: > I want to link the name if a workseet tab into the cell > > is there an easy way to do this that did it you the man! thanks The workbook must first be saved, then =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1),1)+1,99) Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 &q...

protecting only a few cells????
Hello, Excel wants me to define which cells I do NOT want to block for input. I want to select a few cells and tell Excel to lock only these, since entered data that I want to protect. How to -- fren ----------------------------------------------------------------------- frens's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1505 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26840 "frens" <frens.1e06ta@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:frens.1e06ta@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Hello, > > Excel wan...

How do I reference the cell which returned a lookup value?
Imagine that I've got a column of 100 numbers. First, I want to find the maximum value (MAX function). Let's say that turns out to be in the 80th row. Now I want to find the minimum value from the 80th through the last (100th) row. Note that the range of my use of the MIN function depends on where the original MAX value came from. Any ideas on how to do this? I think what I need is a function which can tell me which row contains the winning MAX value. Something like: =ROW(MAX(R1C1:R100C1)) but that obviously doesn't work because the ROW functions wants a reference ...

Colouring cell if it has a specific date
Hi, I have a column for each month where the dates are entered on rows. Is it possible I can color a cell if the date entered in a cell for that month is 15 days past the end of the month. Like, if in a January column I enter a date on one of the rows as Feb.20, then the cell fills with red colour. I tried doing it using conditional formatting, but don't know how to say 15 days past end of the month? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks very much! Shivam What version of Excel are you using? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Shivam.Shah" <shivams22@gmail.com> wrot...

VB code to Access 2000 code
I have a vb project which sends emails. [This is on the site http://www.jsware.net/jsware/vbcode.php5 Ref Email Sending UserControl] The Project has a form (Form1) which provides the relevant info eg. recipient, sender, content, smtp provider etc This data is processed by a "User Control" Module (MailUC) The control consists of a simple form with one textbox on it and a good deal of code. The control is on Form1 and named MUC The code for Form1 can reference the control like:- ThisVariable = MUC.SomeFunction() or MUC.some_MUCvariable = "this" ...

Sending Chart as Snapshot Format
How I can send pivot chart as Snapshot Format? Or how I can send pivot chart by email ( I use send object in macro) but when I select form then there was not output format as Snapshot what should I do? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com You might also try printing to a PDF. There are several free PDF creators including CutePDF: http://www.cutepdf.com and one excellent inexpensive program, Win2PDF: http://www.win2pdf.com -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Reza via AccessMonster.com" <u2845...