Multiple workbooks open -- closing workbooks

Dear Clever People,

I hope this is not the "silly question of the day".

We were wondering (when you have multiple workbooks open and you close one
workbook)  why are all other workbooks forced to be closed, too?

Is it possible to ever close one workbook and leave all the others open?

Thank you,
Janet
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Close it by going to file>close or by pressing Ctrl + F4 or by clicking the
smaller X below the big red X

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Janet Panighetti" <JanetPanighetti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1C9BC30B-BE1A-4605-B215-99C07CB1D366@microsoft.com...
> Dear Clever People,
>
> I hope this is not the "silly question of the day".

> We were wondering (when you have multiple workbooks open and you close one
> workbook)  why are all other workbooks forced to be closed, too?
>
> Is it possible to ever close one workbook and leave all the others open?
>
> Thank you,
> Janet

0
terre081 (3244)
11/13/2007 5:21:08 PM
Thanks for answering my silly question. :)  These worked.

"Janet Panighetti" wrote:

> Dear Clever People,
>
> I hope this is not the "silly question of the day".
>
> We were wondering (when you have multiple workbooks open and you close one
> workbook)  why are all other workbooks forced to be closed, too?
>
> Is it possible to ever close one workbook and leave all the others open?
>
> Thank you,
> Janet
On Nov 13, 10:09 am, Janet Panighetti
<JanetPanighe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Dear Clever People,
>
> I hope this is not the "silly question of the day".
>
> We were wondering (when you have multiple workbooks open and you close one
> workbook)  why are all other workbooks forced to be closed, too?
>
> Is it possible to ever close one workbook and leave all the others open?
>
> Thank you,
> Janet

Ok, silly! You're just clicking on the wrong "x" when you close. XL
has windows within windows. Each workbook will have a window within
the main XL window. You can see this better if you do a "Window,
Arrange" and then arrange the windows in whatever fashion suits your
needs. In the upper right corner of each of these windows is the
little "x" that closes that window (workbook) alone. There is another
little "x" in the upper right corner of the main XL window. If you
click on that one, it closes all workbooks currently open. So if you
just want to close an individual workbook, click on it's "x", not the
XL one. Sometimes, the individual window's "x" is hidden by the
placement of the individual window within the main window. Then you
have to drag the individual window until you can see the icons in the
upper right corner.

Of course, you can also close the individual windows by first
selecting the one you want to close and doing a "File, Close" command
from the menu. "File, Exit" will close all windows/workbooks.

Hope this helps in your world.

0
davegbel (14)

Track Multiple Emails with Different Regardings at once
My staff wants to be able to track multiple email messages at once, but be able to set a different regarding for each. Does anyone know how to do this? I told them the best they can do is track the emails at once and have the emails link to a person in CRM based on the email address. But it won't be possible to set a regarding for each during the bulk upload - they'd have to go back through and set each regarding individually. Am I missing anything? You're not missing anything, your description sounds correct. You can select multiple items and track them as regarding the sa...

can Outlook Contacts & Mail be opened at same time?
Is it possible to have Outlook Contacts and Mail and Calendar open at the same time? -- Many thanks, and have a good day Ursula A. Ursula A. <UrsulaA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible to have Outlook Contacts and Mail and Calendar open at > the same time? Sure. Right-click the ones not opened and choose Open in New Window. -- Brian Tillman Brian, many thanks indeed. "Brian Tillman" wrote: > Ursula A. <UrsulaA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > > Is it possible to have Outlook Contacts and Mail and Calendar open at > >...

send/receive when opening e-mail
Is there a way to have Outlook automatically go and get new messages when I open mail in Outlook. Currently I have to click send/receive to do this. Thanks. Post your version ALWAYS. To have Outlook perform an automatic send/receive, you will need to set an automatic polling interval in your send/receive settings tab. You can also set "send immediately..." on the same tab to not have to press send/receive when sending mail. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all m...

Excel 2002
I am working on a huge spreadsheet that logs thousands of transactions from dozens of customers. What I need to be able to do quickly break up that spreadsheet by customer code (column C) and save a file for every customer (along with the header) as a file named "(column C) - (column B) - (date).xls" I want it to save every file in one pass, and each file should include every column from A through P for the rows included. For example, in column C rows 2-20 the value is CAT004, 21-24 is BOB002, and 25-200 is JIL000. There should be 3 output files which should be named: CAT004 - C...

opening attachment
Hello, Is it possible to view picture attchments in the message as you can in outlook express? It is very tedious to open one at a time when there are a lot of attachments in the message. Brent Brent Mills <brentm@compusup.com> wrote: > Is it possible to view picture attchments in the message > as you can in outlook express? It is very tedious to open > one at a time when there are a lot of attachments in the > message. Only if the sender e4mbedded them in the message. -- Brian Tillman ...

multiple user accounts share single email account
I have set up separate user account for each of my two kids, my wife and myself (4) with me the only one with admin rights. I want my wife and I to be able to share the same email account. At the moment, whoever logs in first gets the latest set of emails and the other doesn't. This means she gets some and I get some and it defeats the process of me have a secure password if I have to give it to her so she can read mail I have received and vice versa. My web surfing to know seems all about seeing multiple email accounts in one user account but I want to see the same email...

edit multiple formulas
Hi. I have this 1449 fomulas in a spreadsheet with just SUM(A2:A1500) but now I want to add an IF() statement to them all, the result being IF(SUMMER(A2:A1500)<52;1;SUMMER(A2:A1500)) Is this possible? -- Kind regards �yvind Granberg tresfjording@live.no www.tresfjording.com Dear Granberg, If you this formula in different ranges, then you should "Replace" command of Excel. For this, press ctrl+H and replace SUM(A2:A1500) with IF(SUM(A2:A1500)<52,1,SUMMER(A2:A1500)). If you have this formula in a row or a column then you can do it in starting cell and then copy th...

Multiple lines in datasheet view
Hi all Is it possible to have multiple lines in the header of a Form in Datasheet view? We have a Form that has long field names e.g Date invoice completed. In datasheet view this consumes a large amount of screen space, therefore if it could be shown on 2 or more lines would be good as follows: Date Invoice completed Similar to text wrapping in Excel. Thanks in advance Nope, sorry that functionality doesn't currently exist. I agree it would be a good one to add (Microsoft - take note :-) ) -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www...

You do not have security privilege to open window when posting Pay
Hi! We did a test upgrade to GP 10 and a user is trying to post payroll checks and she is getting an error saying she does not have privilege to open window. 'sa' works fine. I tried using the default PAYROLL CLERK* role and that gave her the same error. I saw that in previous versions all you have to do is give user access to the Progress window under Windows - System but now that option is gone. Has anyone had this problem? Help please! Thanks! Marisol, You can find your form in "Tasks" and check if the user role has the permissions to use the mentioned form. ...

how to open a pagemaker file with the extension .pmd , read only t
Hi, i'm using vc++6.0 MFC Application Wizard dialog based application and pagemaker 7.0... i need to open the pagemaker file with the extention .pmd using vc++ coding and i should read only the text from the file and i have to write the text in an excel sheet using vc++ coding.. can anyone help me to solve this problem....... ...

Document created by older version of Word won't open
I'm currently using the version of Word contained in Office 2003. I have some documents I created with earlier versions which no longer can be opened. I get this error message: "You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier version of Microsoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening in this version by your registry policy setting." How do I fix this? Thanks! John -- Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true email address to prevent spam. Thank you. See "Information about certain file types that are blocked after yo...

Open workbook at specific sheet
How do I open a particular workbook and get it to go to a specific sheet ie Sheet 2 Hi put the following code in your workbook_module Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets("Sheet2").Activate End Sub HTH Frank Adele Russell wrote: > How do I open a particular workbook and get it to go to a > specific sheet ie Sheet 2 Hi Frank Appreciate your assistance Thanks >-----Original Message----- >Hi >put the following code in your workbook_module >Private Sub Workbook_Open() > Worksheets("Sheet2").Activate >End Sub > >HTH >Frank >...

Opening other users mailboxes from Outlook.
This is not working for some people. From Outlook, going to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > E-mail Accounts > View/Change Existing E-mail Accounts > Make sure Exchange is highlighted and click Change > Click More Settings > Choose Advanced Tab. Now in this window I should be able to click the Add button and add a mailbox that I have give that user access to, but as soon as I hit the Add button, I get this message: "The name could not be resolved. The action could not be completed." It doesn't even give me a chance to type in the mailbox name or anyth...

Can not open files in Excel directly, it needs to open Excel first
When i make double click on Excel files it open excel but not the file, the workaraund is open Excel first, the menu-file-open. How i can fix it. thanks Big Problem on the moment<g> Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1 ) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. (unregserver is not always needed) 2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. See the space between exe and /regser...

Trouble Opening E-mails in MS-Outlook
I have Windows XP Home and Office Standard. I have a DSL provider (Comcast) and would like to get my e-mails in Microsoft Outlook. I can send e-mails from Outlook. Comcast gave me these settings: Incoming server - mail.comcast.net, outgoing - smtp.comcast.net, account name - tripletts2 w/o @comcast.net. In Outlook I did the following: Change Your Server Connection Method Tools, E-mail Accounts, View or change existing e-mail accounts, Next, Select the account [there were 2 - mail.comcast.net & my name - I tried doing this 2 times - using each, without success], Change, More Sett...

solution w multiple web projects
In a solution that contains multiple web projects ( apps or sites ) , how do we prevent all of them from being started when hitting F5 ? There are no dependencies between the apps. In solution properties setting the solution Startup Project to any of the available options has no effect. Current Selection , Single startup project , and Multiple startup projects with all project Actions = None except one set to Start. In all cases a seperate instance of the development is started for each web project in the solution. I have even unchecked Build for all projects under configuration...

Relationship with multiple columns?
Hello, This is my current situation. I have a staff roster (table) with employee information including 4 columns of work logins. Some will only have one login but some have multiple logins and I need to be able to pull information from the staff table into a query/report with data from a table that only contains a login for identification. I cannot see how to make a relationship that looks at multiple columns for a match to the same "key". Hopefully this is something simple someone can help with. Dustin "Simple", yes... but not if your data is organized like a spreadshee...

Opening .doc attachments from Entourage

CSV & open by excel
My CSV file has data like: "Text";"10711";"REZ";"11";"0";"46";"107466";"24,05";"4600";"1750" "Text";"10711";"REZ";"11";"0";"46";"107466";"24.05";"4600";"1750" When double clicked the file is opened with excel like (one column is handled as if there is DATA value): Text 10711 REZ 11 0 46 107466 24.MAY 4600 1750 Text 10711 REZ 11 0 46 107466 24.MAY...

close w/o saving
I closed without saving by accident but Windows keeps a temp copy of the file. Does anyone know how to retreive that copy? Hi IMHO your file is probably lost -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "frs" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:714301c40234$38ccd740$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I closed without saving by accident but Windows keeps a > temp copy of the file. Does anyone know how to retreive > that copy? Unless you're running some autosave program, I think you're out of luck. But you may want to look into one of these: ...

Open in acDialog mode
From a button in form X, I open form Y in acDialog mode. Reason for this is that I want the code in the button to wait till form Y has been closed. I find that the pageup and pagedown buttons and the arrow keys don't work anymore in form Y. When I open it without acDialog they do work. How can I solve this problem or is there another way to let the code wait for form Y to close? Thank you, John John wrote: > From a button in form X, I open form Y in acDialog mode. Reason for > this is that I want the code in the button to wait till form Y has > been closed. I find that the...

Slow opening excel attachment from Outlook 2003
I have a user who is running WinXp. He is trying to open an excel attachment from Outlook 2003. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes but it does finally open. Others can open the file just fine. Is there any known issue with Office 2003 products conflicting like this? If there is, what is the fix? ...

cannot open .exe files
I have Office 98 on Macintosh OS 9.2.2. I cannot open downloaded files with the .exe extension. Error message states the application program cannot be found. What can I do? Well, nothing. .exe files are Windows programs, so they require a Windows environment which can open them. There's nothing you can do on a Mac, apart from getting an emulator program called Virtual PC which will create a Windows environment on your Mac. Just out of curiosity, in how far does your .exe problem relate to Office? Were you trying to download some add-ons for Office from the Microsoft website? On 18.10...

How to remove closed invoice?

Close MSN Instant Messenger Taskbar Icon in Inbox?
Icon appear at lower right next to clock every time I go to my Inbox. How do I make this go away permanently? In article <21ae601c45ac3$b104c960$a001280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Icon appear at lower right next to clock every time I go > to my Inbox. How do I make this go away permanently? > Use Startup Control Panel by Mike Lin. It is a small freeware app that allows you to easily remove Messenger very simply. I swear by it for removing all things that push themselves into the registry without asking. Try here: http://www.mlin.net/Sta...