Multiple IF's in one cell

I would like to find a formula that will allow me to sort/find a name in
several columns of names and if it is one of the columns then indicate which
column heading it was under.  I've tried embedded IFs but I have limited
experience with using multiple formulas in one cell.

0
mpmorin (28)
12/31/2008 4:10:24 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hello Michael,

Are you searching for the name in a single row or several rows?

If it's the former then assuming you want to search in A2:J2 and
return the heder from A1:J1 try

=INDEX(A$1:J$1,MATCH(L2,A2:J2,0))

where L2 contains the name for which you need to search

for the latter try this to search within rows 2 to 10

=IF(COUNTIF(A2:J10,L2),INDEX(A$1:J$1,MIN(IF(A2:J10=L2,COLUMN(A2:J10)-
COLUMN(A2)+1))),"")

This second formula is an "array formula" which needs to be confirmed
with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER so that curly braces appear around the formula
in the formula bar
Thanks for your help.

I have, for example, counties in one row and under them I have cities and
towns in those counties.  So, really I have columns of info. You asked about
rows.  Does it have to be in rows or can I use columns instead?

"barry houdini" <barry.houdini@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Hello Michael,
>
> Are you searching for the name in a single row or several rows?
>
> If it's the former then assuming you want to search in A2:J2 and
> return the heder from A1:J1 try
>
> =INDEX(A$1:J$1,MATCH(L2,A2:J2,0))
>
> where L2 contains the name for which you need to search
>
> for the latter try this to search within rows 2 to 10
>
> =IF(COUNTIF(A2:J10,L2),INDEX(A$1:J$1,MIN(IF(A2:J10=L2,COLUMN(A2:J10)-
> COLUMN(A2)+1))),"")
>
> This second formula is an "array formula" which needs to be confirmed
> with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER so that curly braces appear around the formula
> in the formula bar

0
mpmorin (28)
12/31/2008 4:45:05 PM
On Dec 31 2008, 4:45=A0pm, "Michael Morin" <mpmo...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I have, for example, counties in one row and under them I have cities and
> towns in those counties. =A0So, really I have columns of info. You asked =
about
> rows. =A0Does it have to be in rows or can I use columns instead?
>
> "barry houdini" <barry.houd...@virgin.net> wrote in message

> > Hello Michael,
>
> > Are you searching for the name in a single row or several rows?
>
> > If it's the former then assuming you want to search in A2:J2 and
> > return the heder from A1:J1 try
>
> > =3DINDEX(A$1:J$1,MATCH(L2,A2:J2,0))
>
> > where L2 contains the name for which you need to search
>
> > for the latter try this to search within rows 2 to 10
>
> > =3DIF(COUNTIF(A2:J10,L2),INDEX(A$1:J$1,MIN(IF(A2:J10=3DL2,COLUMN(A2:J10=
)-
> > COLUMN(A2)+1))),"")
>
> > This second formula is an "array formula" which needs to be confirmed
> > with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER so that curly braces appear around the formula
> > in the formula bar- Hide quoted text -

Hello Michael,

Yes, I realised you had columns of data but what I wasn't sure of was
whether you just had a single row to search or multiple rows. It looks
like you have multiple rows so if you have counties in A1:J1 and towns/
cities below those in A2:J10 then you can use the second formula I
suggested, i.e.

=3DIF(COUNTIF(A2:J10,L2),INDEX(A$1:J$1,MIN(IF(A2:J10=3DL2,COLUMN(A2:J10)-
COLUMN(A2)+1))),"")

which needs to be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Ultimately it would probably be easier for you if you could change
your layout so that you had a single column of all towns/cities and
the adjacent column contained the relevant County, then you can jsut
do a simple VLOOKUP.
oh ok :)  Thank you!  I'll let you know how it turns out.

On Dec 31 2008, 4:45 pm, "Michael Morin" <mpmo...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I have, for example, counties in one row and under them I have cities and
> towns in those counties. So, really I have columns of info. You asked
> about
> rows. Does it have to be in rows or can I use columns instead?
>
> "barry houdini" <barry.houd...@virgin.net> wrote in message

> > Hello Michael,
>
> > Are you searching for the name in a single row or several rows?
>
> > If it's the former then assuming you want to search in A2:J2 and
> > return the heder from A1:J1 try
>
> > =INDEX(A$1:J$1,MATCH(L2,A2:J2,0))
>
> > where L2 contains the name for which you need to search
>
> > for the latter try this to search within rows 2 to 10
>
> > =IF(COUNTIF(A2:J10,L2),INDEX(A$1:J$1,MIN(IF(A2:J10=L2,COLUMN(A2:J10)-
> > COLUMN(A2)+1))),"")
>
> > This second formula is an "array formula" which needs to be confirmed
> > with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER so that curly braces appear around the formula
> > in the formula bar- Hide quoted text -

Hello Michael,

Yes, I realised you had columns of data but what I wasn't sure of was
whether you just had a single row to search or multiple rows. It looks
like you have multiple rows so if you have counties in A1:J1 and towns/
cities below those in A2:J10 then you can use the second formula I
suggested, i.e.

=IF(COUNTIF(A2:J10,L2),INDEX(A$1:J$1,MIN(IF(A2:J10=L2,COLUMN(A2:J10)-
COLUMN(A2)+1))),"")

which needs to be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Ultimately it would probably be easier for you if you could change
your layout so that you had a single column of all towns/cities and
the adjacent column contained the relevant County, then you can jsut
do a simple VLOOKUP.

0
mpmorin (28)
1/1/2009 5:53:46 PM
Well, it works WONDERFULLY!  The only thing is that I have to go back and
edit the range of the columns to find.  It keeps bumping them down by one
for proceding formulas.

"barry houdini" <barry.houdini@virgin.net> wrote in message
On Dec 31 2008, 4:45 pm, "Michael Morin" <mpmo...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I have, for example, counties in one row and under them I have cities and
> towns in those counties. So, really I have columns of info. You asked
> about
> rows. Does it have to be in rows or can I use columns instead?
>
> "barry houdini" <barry.houd...@virgin.net> wrote in message

> > Hello Michael,
>
> > Are you searching for the name in a single row or several rows?
>
> > If it's the former then assuming you want to search in A2:J2 and
> > return the heder from A1:J1 try
>
> > =INDEX(A$1:J$1,MATCH(L2,A2:J2,0))
>
> > where L2 contains the name for which you need to search
>
> > for the latter try this to search within rows 2 to 10
>
> > =IF(COUNTIF(A2:J10,L2),INDEX(A$1:J$1,MIN(IF(A2:J10=L2,COLUMN(A2:J10)-
> > COLUMN(A2)+1))),"")
>
> > This second formula is an "array formula" which needs to be confirmed
> > with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER so that curly braces appear around the formula
> > in the formula bar- Hide quoted text -

Hello Michael,

Yes, I realised you had columns of data but what I wasn't sure of was
whether you just had a single row to search or multiple rows. It looks
like you have multiple rows so if you have counties in A1:J1 and towns/
cities below those in A2:J10 then you can use the second formula I
suggested, i.e.

=IF(COUNTIF(A2:J10,L2),INDEX(A$1:J$1,MIN(IF(A2:J10=L2,COLUMN(A2:J10)-
COLUMN(A2)+1))),"")

which needs to be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Ultimately it would probably be easier for you if you could change
your layout so that you had a single column of all towns/cities and
the adjacent column contained the relevant County, then you can jsut
do a simple VLOOKUP.

0
mpmorin (28)
1/1/2009 6:33:57 PM
On Jan 1, 6:33=A0pm, "Michael Morin" <mpmo...@verizon.net> wrote:
> The only thing is that I have to go back and
> edit the range of the columns to find. =A0It keeps bumping them down by o=
ne
> for proceding formulas.

OK, sorry, yes, you can fix the ranges with dollar signs so that only
the L2 reference will change as you drag down or across, i.e.

=3DIF(COUNTIF($A$2:$J$10,L2),INDEX($A$1:$J$1,MIN(IF($A$2:$J$10=3DL2,COLUMN
($A$2:$J$10)-
COLUMN($A$2)+1))),"")
EXCELLENT ... You've made my job so much easier.  Now, I can streamline what
I did for next month's reports, I'll be all set!  Thank you again!

On Jan 1, 6:33 pm, "Michael Morin" <mpmo...@verizon.net> wrote:
> The only thing is that I have to go back and
> edit the range of the columns to find. It keeps bumping them down by one
> for proceding formulas.

OK, sorry, yes, you can fix the ranges with dollar signs so that only
the L2 reference will change as you drag down or across, i.e.

=IF(COUNTIF($A$2:$J$10,L2),INDEX($A$1:$J$1,MIN(IF($A$2:$J$10=L2,COLUMN
($A$2:$J$10)-
COLUMN($A$2)+1))),"")

0
mpmorin (28)

compute one of two missing value?
I want to create a table like this: column A is the name of the person column B is height in feet column C is height in meters How do I set it up so that if I enter a number in the feet column, excel would calculate and fill in the meter column, and if I fill in the meter column, excel would calculate and fill in the feet column? use a worksheet_change event if target.column=2 then target.offset(,1)=target*_____ if target.column=3 then target.offset(,-1)=target/_____ -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "james" <nospa...

Removing multiple hyperlinks

Create a list with multiple criteria

Charting multiple multiples

distributing data into multiple cells

Single click selects multiple cells

Sending to multiple addresses

Convert data into one WrapText cell
User's data is as follows: G Data......................... 4 no 5 20 more Data ............... etc where G through 20 is in a single row, and therefore Data occupies 3 rows. I believe this gives me a complete record where the Data occupies more than one row: Sub TestConvertToWrapText() Dim Cell As Range, StartRw As Long Dim EndRw As Long For Each Cell In ActiveSheet.Range("B2:B33") If Not IsEmpty(Cell) Then StartRw = Cell.Row If Not IsEmpty(Cell.Offset(1, 0)) Then EndRw = Cell.End(xlDown).Row...

Windows will not "Tile" when one of them has Money Plus open
I've discovered that I cannot get my windows to "Tile" when using Money Plus. This is a big bummer because that is how I update my 401k account (not on any exchange so I must do it manually) I copy/paste info into it (money) and it is so much easier if I can tile windows. I used to do it all the time with my older MM Deluxe 2004. Funny thing is that the Money window tiles but the other one acts just like when you click "Tile Windows" when there is only one open... "bupkiss" just a 'bleep' and back to fully maxed... any ideas? On Wed, 5 Sep 2...

INDEX-MATCH with cell text driven names
Hi, I've read through a few posts that are close to what I'm trying to do but i can't get it to work. I'm constructing a fantasy F1 spreadsheet while i'm bored off work sick. Sheetnames in workbook DriverSummary, AUS, MAL, CHN, BHR,.....for each round/country of the season. Each sheet race sheet has a column for car number in called AUSarray, MALarray etc. AUSREF is cell A1 on the race sheets My current formula in the diver summary works well and is shown below. I have N() to return 0 when a race hasn't happened yet so that my sum() works. =N(OFFSET(AUSREF;MATCH($A4;AUS...

Referencing the name of a worksheet in a cell
hello excel gurus... I would like to have a string of text that incorporates the name of on the worksheet tab. I have a series of worksheet that are all very similar, it is just one word in the title that changes and that is what I will be naming the worksheet. Is there a way that I can have that cell reference the tab name, so that I only have to name it once and not twice. Thanks! -Bob Bob, Not sure if you want to get the cell from the tab name, or set the tab name from the cell value. So, if the former =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename&qu...

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

multiple selection

Multiple domains #6

Combine multiple tables into one

APPEND TO A CELL
How do I append to a number in A LARGE FILE column A only. EXAMPLE 1050 need 501050 In Publisher? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "RUSSELL" <RUSSELL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2DD30D7-7D95-4413-9050-4D164120EC0D@microsoft.com... > How do I append to a number in A LARGE FILE column A only. EXAMPLE 1050 > need > 501050 ...

Finding Data in multiple worksheets
Using Excel 2000, how can I find data in multiple worksheets; example: any number between 200 & 299 in 32 worksheets? If you mean you want to find a single number across 32 worksheets, group your worksheets (click on the first, ctrl-click on subsequent (or even shift-click)). Then Edit|Find But I think I'd use Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/ If you meant you wanted to find all 100 numbers (200-299) in all 32 sheets, then I think I'd have a macro search for each number and report the results on a new worksheet. "mark@southwestconst.com&quo...

show multiple values that add to total in bar graph
Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I want a sigle bar that goes to 703 but breaks the single bar down into these segments (preferrably by color showing the smaller segment amounts within the color. HELP!!!! Thanks! Hi, Is that not what the stacked column chart does? Cheers Andy Green Goose 89 wrote: > Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that > add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I > want...

Passing avalue from one form to another
I have a form (ItemBrowse_frm) that provides me a list of active Item numbers. When I click the Item number I want to pass the Item number to my other form (SingleBill_frm) and requery the form based on that part number. I am using the following OnClick Forms![SingleBill_frm]![ParentItembx].Value = Forms!ItemBrowse_frm.[ItemNumber] Forms![SingleBill_frm].Requery Somehow the SingleBill_frm does not requery and the field that I am passing the value to does not show the value passed until I highlight the field. Is there a better way to do this or what am I doing wrong? Thank you! ...

Removing Menu Option in VBA ( grey one out ) ?
Tracking Changes ? I am after the workaround for the disabling of tracking changes b anyone other than me. I presume ( and yes since I learnt this method I love it ) I can us the Environment settings... -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- quote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sub MeOnlyTrackChanges() If Environ("Fullname") <> "My Name Here" then Exit sub Elseif: <grey out the menu option for track changes here VBA COD needed > End Sub -----------------------...