Multiple combined formulas ?

I am not sure what combinations of formula’s are needed to lookup an item,
evaluate multiple results and list the result.

Here is a sample scenario:

ID	Item	Result
1234	Degree	30
1234	Degree	15
1234	Method	Hand
456	Style	Green
789	Degree	30
1023	Degree	15
1023	Degree	10
1023	Method	Foot

I need to be able to lookup the ID number e.g. “1234” in column A, evaluate
all the item responses for 1234 that match, e.g. “Degree” in column B and
then evaluate the results for all the items called “Degree” for ID 1234 and
then if the Result is e.g. 30, record 30 in the cell.

Hope I have explained it well enough.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

--

REB
0

>Hope I have explained it well enough.

Not sure!

Is this what you want:

You want to lookup ID 1234 and item Degree and see if there is a result of
30, if so, return 30?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am not sure what combinations of formula's are needed to lookup an item,
> evaluate multiple results and list the result.
>
> Here is a sample scenario:
>
> ID Item Result
> 1234 Degree 30
> 1234 Degree 15
> 1234 Method Hand
> 456 Style Green
> 789 Degree 30
> 1023 Degree 15
> 1023 Degree 10
> 1023 Method Foot
>
> I need to be able to lookup the ID number e.g. "1234" in column A,
> evaluate
> all the item responses for 1234 that match, e.g. "Degree" in column B and
> then evaluate the results for all the items called "Degree" for ID 1234
> and
> then if the Result is e.g. 30, record 30 in the cell.
>
> Hope I have explained it well enough.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
>
> REB

0
biffinpitt (3171)
9/19/2008 1:45:03 AM
Biff,

Yes, you are correct.  In some cases the resutl of 30 may not be there I
would need it to return the answer that is there or maybe a "no" or some
indication that it did not find the correct answer, if possible.
Thanks for the help.
--
REB

"T. Valko" wrote:

> >Hope I have explained it well enough.
>
> Not sure!
>
> Is this what you want:
>
> You want to lookup ID 1234 and item Degree and see if there is a result of
> 30, if so, return 30?
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am not sure what combinations of formula's are needed to lookup an item,
> > evaluate multiple results and list the result.
> >
> > Here is a sample scenario:
> >
> > ID Item Result
> > 1234 Degree 30
> > 1234 Degree 15
> > 1234 Method Hand
> > 456 Style Green
> > 789 Degree 30
> > 1023 Degree 15
> > 1023 Degree 10
> > 1023 Method Foot
> >
> > I need to be able to lookup the ID number e.g. "1234" in column A,
> > evaluate
> > all the item responses for 1234 that match, e.g. "Degree" in column B and
> > then evaluate the results for all the items called "Degree" for ID 1234
> > and
> > then if the Result is e.g. 30, record 30 in the cell.
> >
> > Hope I have explained it well enough.  Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > --
> >
> > REB

0
Reb (11)
9/22/2008 4:42:08 PM
>In some cases the resutl of 30 may not be there
>I would need it to return the answer that is there

Return the answer that is *where* ?

If you're specifically looking  for 1234 Degree 30 and there is no 30 what
result do you want?

--

> Biff,
>
> Yes, you are correct.  In some cases the resutl of 30 may not be there I
> would need it to return the answer that is there or maybe a "no" or some
> indication that it did not find the correct answer, if possible.
> Thanks for the help.
> --
> REB
>

> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> >Hope I have explained it well enough.
>>
>> Not sure!
>>
>> Is this what you want:
>>
>> You want to lookup ID 1234 and item Degree and see if there is a result
>> of
>> 30, if so, return 30?
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am not sure what combinations of formula's are needed to lookup an
>> >item,
>> > evaluate multiple results and list the result.
>> >
>> > Here is a sample scenario:
>> >
>> > ID Item Result
>> > 1234 Degree 30
>> > 1234 Degree 15
>> > 1234 Method Hand
>> > 456 Style Green
>> > 789 Degree 30
>> > 1023 Degree 15
>> > 1023 Degree 10
>> > 1023 Method Foot
>> >
>> > I need to be able to lookup the ID number e.g. "1234" in column A,
>> > evaluate
>> > all the item responses for 1234 that match, e.g. "Degree" in column B
>> > and
>> > then evaluate the results for all the items called "Degree" for ID 1234
>> > and
>> > then if the Result is e.g. 30, record 30 in the cell.
>> >
>> > Hope I have explained it well enough.  Any help would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you!
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > REB

0
biffinpitt (3171)
9/22/2008 5:16:54 PM
Return the answer that is *where* ?      A: The answer in column C that
contains the responses for "degree".....looking at the original sample, if I
was looking for # "1023", "Degree", "30" in the two "Degree" answers listed
and 30 is not there, if it could report the highest number found  for "1023",
"Degree" (e.g. 15) that would be good, if not, "None" or "False" or some text
answer that would work in the formula would be okay.

Thanks!!!
--
REB

0
Reb (11)
9/22/2008 6:59:01 PM
See if this does what you want:

E2 = some ID number = 1023
F2 = some item = degree

Entered as an array** :

=MAX(IF((A2:A9=E2)*(B2:B9=F2),C2:C9))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--

> Return the answer that is *where* ?      A: The answer in column C that
> contains the responses for "degree".....looking at the original sample, if
> was looking for # "1023", "Degree", "30" in the two "Degree" answers
> listed
> and 30 is not there, if it could report the highest number found  for
> "1023",
> "Degree" (e.g. 15) that would be good, if not, "None" or "False" or some
> text
> answer that would work in the formula would be okay.
>
> Thanks!!!
> --
> REB
>

> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> >In some cases the resutl of 30 may not be there
>> >I would need it to return the answer that is there
>>
>> Return the answer that is *where* ?
>>
>> If you're specifically looking  for 1234 Degree 30 and there is no 30
>> what
>> result do you want?
>>

>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Biff,
>> >
>> > Yes, you are correct.  In some cases the resutl of 30 may not be there
>> > would need it to return the answer that is there or maybe a "no" or
>> > some
>> > indication that it did not find the correct answer, if possible.
>> > Thanks for the help.
>> > --
>> > REB

0
biffinpitt (3171)
9/23/2008 1:51:31 AM
Wow, I think that will work!  Will go back and try it in my real spreadsheet!!!

Will MAX only work with numbers?  Going back your last response and my
example what if E2 was 1023, F2 = Method.  Is there a way to get it to list
"foot" as a text response?

Thanks!!!!!

--
REB

"T. Valko" wrote:

> See if this does what you want:
>
> E2 = some ID number = 1023
> F2 = some item = degree
>
> Entered as an array** :
>
> =MAX(IF((A2:A9=E2)*(B2:B9=F2),C2:C9))
>
> ** array formulas need to be entered using the key combination of
> CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Return the answer that is *where* ?      A: The answer in column C that
> > contains the responses for "degree".....looking at the original sample, if
> > was looking for # "1023", "Degree", "30" in the two "Degree" answers
> > listed
> > and 30 is not there, if it could report the highest number found  for
> > "1023",
> > "Degree" (e.g. 15) that would be good, if not, "None" or "False" or some
> > text
> > answer that would work in the formula would be okay.
> >
> > Thanks!!!
> > --
> > REB

> >> Return the answer that is *where* ?
> >>
> >> If you're specifically looking  for 1234 Degree 30 and there is no 30
> >> what
> >> result do you want?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Biff
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>

> >> "REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Reb (11)
9/23/2008 1:44:01 PM
>Will MAX only work with numbers?

Yes, that is correct

>what if E2 was 1023, F2 = Method.

Try this array formula** :

E2 = some ID number = 1023
F2 = some item = method

=INDEX(C2:C9,MATC(1,(A2:A9=E2)*(B2:B9=F2),0))

> Wow, I think that will work!  Will go back and try it in my real
> spreadsheet!!!
>
> Will MAX only work with numbers?  Going back your last response and my
> example what if E2 was 1023, F2 = Method.  Is there a way to get it to
> list
> "foot" as a text response?
>
> Thanks!!!!!
>
> --
> REB
>

> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> See if this does what you want:
>>
>> E2 = some ID number = 1023
>> F2 = some item = degree
>>
>> Entered as an array** :
>>
>> =MAX(IF((A2:A9=E2)*(B2:B9=F2),C2:C9))
>>
>> ** array formulas need to be entered using the key combination of
>> CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Return the answer that is *where* ?      A: The answer in column C that
>> > contains the responses for "degree".....looking at the original sample,
>> > if
>> > was looking for # "1023", "Degree", "30" in the two "Degree" answers
>> > listed
>> > and 30 is not there, if it could report the highest number found  for
>> > "1023",
>> > "Degree" (e.g. 15) that would be good, if not, "None" or "False" or
>> > some
>> > text
>> > answer that would work in the formula would be okay.
>> >
>> > Thanks!!!
>> > --
>> > REB

0
biffinpitt (3171)
9/23/2008 4:31:01 PM
Great! It is working! Thank you for your time and assistance in teaching me
about these array formulas!!
--
REB

"T. Valko" wrote:

> >Will MAX only work with numbers?
>
> Yes, that is correct
>
> >what if E2 was 1023, F2 = Method.
>
> Try this array formula** :
>
> E2 = some ID number = 1023
> F2 = some item = method
>
> =INDEX(C2:C9,MATC(1,(A2:A9=E2)*(B2:B9=F2),0))
>
> ** array formulas need to be entered using the key combination of
> CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Wow, I think that will work!  Will go back and try it in my real
> > spreadsheet!!!
> >
> > Will MAX only work with numbers?  Going back your last response and my
> > example what if E2 was 1023, F2 = Method.  Is there a way to get it to
> > list
> > "foot" as a text response?
> >
> > Thanks!!!!!
> >
> > --
> > REB
> >

> > "T. Valko" wrote:
> >
> >> See if this does what you want:
> >>
> >> E2 = some ID number = 1023
> >> F2 = some item = degree
> >>
> >> Entered as an array** :
> >>
> >> =MAX(IF((A2:A9=E2)*(B2:B9=F2),C2:C9))
> >>
> >> ** array formulas need to be entered using the key combination of
> >> CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Biff
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>

> >> "REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Reb (11)
9/23/2008 6:40:01 PM
It worked on some but..  I need to use a "range of cells" now in another
worksheet in the formula you gave me.  (I know how to select a range from the
other worksheet that I use in other formulas all the time.)  The formula is
giving me a "blank" cell with no answer.

Don't know if it is how I selected the range or in this case there are
multiple E2's with "1023" and multiple F2 with "methods"  and there are
multiple "foot" responses in "C" and some "hand" response in "C" for 1023 &
method.  Trying to figure out which of those variables is causing the "blank"?

Thanks

--
REB

"T. Valko" wrote:

> >Will MAX only work with numbers?
>
> Yes, that is correct
>
> >what if E2 was 1023, F2 = Method.
>
> Try this array formula** :
>
> E2 = some ID number = 1023
> F2 = some item = method
>
> =INDEX(C2:C9,MATC(1,(A2:A9=E2)*(B2:B9=F2),0))
>
> ** array formulas need to be entered using the key combination of
> CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Wow, I think that will work!  Will go back and try it in my real
> > spreadsheet!!!
> >
> > Will MAX only work with numbers?  Going back your last response and my
> > example what if E2 was 1023, F2 = Method.  Is there a way to get it to
> > list
> > "foot" as a text response?
> >
> > Thanks!!!!!
> >
> > --
> > REB
> >

> > "T. Valko" wrote:
> >
> >> See if this does what you want:
> >>
> >> E2 = some ID number = 1023
> >> F2 = some item = degree
> >>
> >> Entered as an array** :
> >>
> >> =MAX(IF((A2:A9=E2)*(B2:B9=F2),C2:C9))
> >>
> >> ** array formulas need to be entered using the key combination of
> >> CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Biff
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>

> >> "REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Reb (11)
9/23/2008 7:28:01 PM
I think I need a more detailed explanation of what you're trying to do. Tell
me using your real setup and real data. Tell me exactly where the data is.
Don't use general descriptions like the data is on sheet2. Where *exactly*
on sheet2?

In other words, I need *very specific details* on what you're wanting to do.

--

> It worked on some but..  I need to use a "range of cells" now in another
> worksheet in the formula you gave me.  (I know how to select a range from
> the
> other worksheet that I use in other formulas all the time.)  The formula
> is
> giving me a "blank" cell with no answer.
>
> Don't know if it is how I selected the range or in this case there are
> multiple E2's with "1023" and multiple F2 with "methods"  and there are
> multiple "foot" responses in "C" and some "hand" response in "C" for 1023
> &
> method.  Trying to figure out which of those variables is causing the
> "blank"?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> REB
>

> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> >Will MAX only work with numbers?
>>
>> Yes, that is correct
>>
>> >what if E2 was 1023, F2 = Method.
>>
>> Try this array formula** :
>>
>> E2 = some ID number = 1023
>> F2 = some item = method
>>
>> =INDEX(C2:C9,MATC(1,(A2:A9=E2)*(B2:B9=F2),0))
>>
>> ** array formulas need to be entered using the key combination of
>> CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "REB" <REB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Wow, I think that will work!  Will go back and try it in my real
>> > spreadsheet!!!
>> >
>> > Will MAX only work with numbers?  Going back your last response and my
>> > example what if E2 was 1023, F2 = Method.  Is there a way to get it to
>> > list
>> > "foot" as a text response?
>> >
>> > Thanks!!!!!
>> >
>> > --
>> > REB

0
biffinpitt (3171)

Removing multiple hyperlinks

Create a list with multiple criteria

Hidden Protected Formula?
Hello all, Hopefully there is a simple answer to my question. I have two worksheets that are the same, I enter numerical data on them. I primarily enter data on the first worksheet, the second worksheet (which looks exactly the same) has data entered that needs to be added to the same corresponding areas on the primary worksheet. Here is the problem that I am having. I can make formula's that cover the primary sheet that say =+Secondary!G4 and when I put something into the secondary worksheet it does add to the primary. However since I enter data on the primary worksheet also, I f...

Charting multiple multiples

distributing data into multiple cells

Single click selects multiple cells

Sending to multiple addresses

Combine rows based on values in column 1
Is there an excel feature that would let you combine rows based on the unique value of a column? The DATA, SUBTOTAL almost does what I want, except it doesn't work with text. For example: A X B Y C Z A X C Z C J B M Combine to: A X X B M Y C Z J Z I can write a routine that will do this - but it is a little tedious: sort, then row by row & column by column moving the last non-empty value down to the next row until col 1 changes, then deleting all rows prior to my 'total' row with...

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

multiple selection

Multiple domains #6

Combine multiple tables into one

Finding Data in multiple worksheets
Using Excel 2000, how can I find data in multiple worksheets; example: any number between 200 & 299 in 32 worksheets? If you mean you want to find a single number across 32 worksheets, group your worksheets (click on the first, ctrl-click on subsequent (or even shift-click)). Then Edit|Find But I think I'd use Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/ If you meant you wanted to find all 100 numbers (200-299) in all 32 sheets, then I think I'd have a macro search for each number and report the results on a new worksheet. "mark@southwestconst.com&quo...

Compute from a derived formula
Hi I have cells in my XL with values like "2d 3h";since I cannot sum them up, I tried "SUBSTITUTE" the d with *8. For example, if the cell value is 2d it would look like 2*8. Now I would like to just use this value to compute, eventually to get 2*8=16. Any idea how I can achieve this? Thanks hari. yeah get rid of excel and use a database. you can do a lot more powerful stuff with databases Are all your values a single digit followed by single character? Do you need to distinguish between the different letters? Give us some more examples if not, and are there any patter...

show multiple values that add to total in bar graph
Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I want a sigle bar that goes to 703 but breaks the single bar down into these segments (preferrably by color showing the smaller segment amounts within the color. HELP!!!! Thanks! Hi, Is that not what the stacked column chart does? Cheers Andy Green Goose 89 wrote: > Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that > add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I > want...

IIF / OR
I want the OnPrint of a report to check three fields and run code if any ONE of the conditions is met: Iif ([MyTextOne]=1 OR [MyTextTwo]=2 OR [MyTextThree]=3) Then RunSomeCode Else RunOtherCode I thought of using Select Case and calling procedures as each condition is met: Select Case Me![MyTextOne] Case is = 1 Call Check2 Case else Stop End Select Check2 () Select Case Me![MyTextTwo] Case is = 2 Call Check3 Case else Stop End select Check3 () and so on......... It will work, but gets a bit too long as the test conditions increase. It gets just as long with nested select case or nest...

Localization with multiple string tables
The application has two string tables one for English and the other for Japanese. The IDs and Values are the same but only the captions are different. It seems that CString::LoadString does not load from the correct string table when i choose japanese from my regional settings on the control panel instead it loads english all the time. Is there any settings or configuration that i missed? Need ur help gurus >The application has two string tables one for English and the other >for Japanese. The IDs and Values are the same but only the captions >are different. It seems that CString::L...

Get Label formula with get.formula(selection()) in XL-2007
Dear group, in XL-2003 I can get a label formula with get.formula(selection()), when selection is a datalabel. Trying this in XL-2007, I get a type.mismatch. Any good ideas about this? Thanks, Holger. Holger - This is a known bug in Excel 2007. This is also broken for the chart title, and I suspect other chart text elements are also broken. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Holger Gerths" <holger@gerths.de> wrote in message news:343097CF-730C-4128-A575-F09...

Multiple Query questions
I'm trying to query a database of beach rentals and need a query with more than 2 bedrooms, that rents for less than 1,000. When i put both criteria in, it only registers one of them. I also need to create a query for the highest and lowest weekly rate but when I select Min or Max or doesn't show me anything. Show us the SQL. Open the query in design view. Next go to View, SQL View and copy and past it here. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "Jackie" wrote: > I'm trying...

One alert for multiple users???
I have a rule set up to send an alert to myself when mail arrives from a particular individual. I would like this alert to be sent to everyone who is sharing this folder. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. No. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Ann asked: | I have a rule set up to send an alert to myself when mail arrives | from a part...