Mulitple workbooks open simultaneously

Hi

I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if this subject has already been
addressed...

I have great problems opening more than one workbook at a time.  Excel works
ok if I open it, open a workbook and then open it again to open the second,
but, if I open one instance of Excel and then file/open and file/open again
(mainly because I have linked cells to other workbooks), then quite often
Excel will encounter some error or other and close down.  Frequently it will
try to recover whatever workbooks were open and offer them up for re-load
afterwards.  I don't think these files have been corrupted or data lost, so
far.

Each workbook was originally created in Office '97 which may be relevent.

Many Thanks

Mark Bunch

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Nov 13, 3:59 am, "Mark Bunch" <Mark.Bu...@BTInternet.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if this subject has already been
> addressed...
>
> I have great problems opening more than one workbook at a time.  Excel works
> ok if I open it, open a workbook and then open it again to open the second,
> but, if I open one instance of Excel and then file/open and file/open again
> (mainly because I have linked cells to other workbooks), then quite often
> Excel will encounter some error or other and close down.  Frequently it will
> try to recover whatever workbooks were open and offer them up for re-load
> afterwards.  I don't think these files have been corrupted or data lost, so
> far.
>
> Each workbook was originally created in Office '97 which may be relevent.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Mark Bunch

Have you tried re-installing XL?
0
davegbel (14)
11/16/2007 2:55:44 PM
Not yet.

I had a similar problem with the 60 day trial version that I originally used
when I bought the laptop and thought that buying the full version might
help.

I'll certainly try if you think it might help...

Thanks

Mark

"davegb" <davegbel@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Nov 13, 3:59 am, "Mark Bunch" <Mark.Bu...@BTInternet.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if this subject has already
>> been
>> addressed...
>>
>> I have great problems opening more than one workbook at a time.  Excel
>> works
>> ok if I open it, open a workbook and then open it again to open the
>> second,
>> but, if I open one instance of Excel and then file/open and file/open
>> again
>> (mainly because I have linked cells to other workbooks), then quite often
>> Excel will encounter some error or other and close down.  Frequently it
>> will
>> try to recover whatever workbooks were open and offer them up for re-load
>> afterwards.  I don't think these files have been corrupted or data lost,
>> so
>> far.
>>
>> Each workbook was originally created in Office '97 which may be relevent.
>>
>> Many Thanks
>>
>> Mark Bunch
>
> Have you tried re-installing XL?

Plot trend of inventory values for mulitple branches
I need to plot the trend of core inventory values for 87 branches over time, but haven't enough experience with Excel's charting feature to do this correctly. I am using MS Excel 2003 SP3. Can someone explain the best way to begin. I have compiled the data and it is ready for graphing. I have tried to use the feature, but I do not know how to get all the data into the graph because of the three types of data - time range, inventory values, individual branches. I need all three types of data included for comparison. ...

Why does Outlook open two windows?
When installed Outlook 2003 with a new profile about two hours ago, it would open one window each time I started Outlook. But now, after I've been doing a lot of work on the folder structure, particularly transferring dozens of folders by drag and drop within a single non-default PST file. I notice that the computer has been very noisy for a while, apparently furiously coping with the changes I've been making. Now when I start Outlook, it opens two windows; presumably that's an outcome of something I inadvertently did when transferring all the folders. I'd rather it ...

Excel file opens MS Excel Training Webpage When the Excel file ope
I have a file that I think was originally created using the on-line MS training. Now evertime I open the excel file the web page automatically opens. It's mostly just an annouance. I was able to copy the content into a new file and it stopped this behavior but I'd love to know how it happened and/or how to turn it off in the original file. Excel 2007 - mail merge file - opens thle link below everytime I open the excel file http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?ver=12&ver=12&app=excel.exe&AssetID=RH011206001033 Thanks John ...

Shared Workbook Question...
I am trying to figure out a way, in which I can make changes to certian cells within a shared document, however protecting the data from other users. Does this make sense? Colulmn A has billing information that I want to have the ability to change, but I don't want my account managers to accidently change any information in this colulmn. Please let me know if you might have any thoughts on how to accomplish this. Thanks ...

Opening attachement in outlook
Hello to all. I do not have the choice anymore to save on disk or openning the attachment with all e-mails. I tried to look under the options, mail options... I know there should be a box to check or uncheck, but can't find it anywhere. Is there somebody know where I can change this option?... Thanks Windows Explorer->Tools->Folder Options->View. Highlight your attachment type and then click on advanced. Check the box "confirm open after download." --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (inse...

Need to save workbook with external links as a static workbook
ok, i've got a delima. i have a workbook that links to several external sources. what i'd like to be able to do is when i save the workbook, no changes to the data can be made, regardless of the updates to the external source. make sense? please advise. thanx, ~julz Hi you may copy your data and insert it again as values. you could also record a macro for this and place it in the Beforesave event of your workbook -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Julz" <jhbiz@austin.rr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:eUQ9AOeOEHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > ...

Converting from .CSV to .XLS without opening file
Is there any way to convert a file with a .csv extension to .xls without opening the actual .csv file? The reason I need to do this is since I have about 100 .csv files that need to be converted. Regards, Sumit Khanna No. I'd write a macro but even manually this wouldn't take 30 minutes. You could be done already!<g> -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Sumit Khanna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2d73601c46a71$9da261d0$a401280a@phx.gbl... | Is there any way to convert a file with a .csv extension | to .xls without opening the actual .csv...

Opening Form w/out Displaying a Record
I think this is a basic question but so far I've been unable to find the answer. I have a form, frmMain that includes two subforms: fsubModules & fsbuProjects. When frmMain is opened I'd like that form (2 combo boxes) to be blank, as well as both subforms. I've been looking thru the list of events, & found the OnLoad event, but I don't know what code or expression to add. As background this d/b & form will primarily be for read or view access, and not used for record entry. Record entry is done thru a different Access d/b whose tables link to the subforms. Thx...

Removing auto_open from workbook after execution
Hi, is there a way to stop or delete an auto_open macro from a workbook after it has been executed. I don't want to change the Macro security settings of my Excel because the Workbook is opened by many users and not only by me. .. Panos, 1) For the workbook open event (which is the same as the auto open macro, just in the Thisworkbook's codemodule) 2) if it is the only thing in the codemodule - otherwise, you will need to change the .DeleteLines parameters 3) this requires a reference to the MS VB extensiblity Private Sub Workbook_Open() Dim myBook As Workbook Dim myVBA As VBID...

Outlook 2002, can't open links
Hi In Outlook 2002 when I try to click on a link in an email to open it I get the message that it is blocked. I have reduced the security settings under Tools->Macro to Low but still no joy. What is the problem and how can I open links by clicking on them? Thanks Regards More info can be found here: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm -- -Patrick Reed "John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:O7KK%23jiTJHA.1560@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi > > In Outlook 2002 when I try to click on a link in an email to open it I get &...

Unable to View Contents of Workbook
Excel 2003 This is a weird problem that I've never seen before. We have a user who is unable to view the contents of a specific Excel workbook. When the user opens the file it looks as if there are no files open--all he gets is a gray screen with the menu and toolbars. The name of the file does not appear in the title bar and there are no sheet tabs at the bottom of the screen either. So it looks like no file has been opened. But there are some telltale signs that the file IS actually open. The Name box shows "A25" and the Formula box shows the value of that cell, a...

populating mulitple worksheets
I have a book that has 4 sheets in it. Master, DEAD, WON, PENDING. In the master sheet there is a list of sales opportunites, and as the name sugests its a master list regardless of status. There is one column named status that would be DEAD WON, or PENDING. (you might guess where i am going with this) I would like after populating the master file the correct sheet to be automatically populated based on the status. Or is a status changes then auto populate the correct sheet and delete from the sheet it no longer fits into. I'm sure there is some sort of macro but I can't figure it out...

Linking Workbooks #8
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C4AD1A.9E155690 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have the main workbook in one location on server. I need a second = workbook in another location that when opened will "show" all data in = the main workbook. I have tried the copy and paste special into the new = workbook but Excel does not like that. any ideas on an easy way to do = this? I want it to look exactly the same and have users be able to = update either workbook so they alway...

Open relay problem Exchange 2003
We encountered some big problems when first turning up a new SBS2003 Server. We still have a remaining issue that I can't seem to get an answer to. I recently installed SBS 2003 on a new server and Exchnge installed as an open relay by default. Within hours of being online thousands upon thousands of SPAM email was relaying (or trying to relay) through the server. In addition, one of the initial Windows update may have corrupted the registry hive. Ended up reloading this new machine twice with in a very short time and both times Exchange installed as an open relay. Once the fiasco...

Mulitple Identies
My husband and I are using Outlook express 6 and we have different email accounts. When I am in my identy and I check for new mail I get his mail in my inbox and vice versa if we are in his. How can I prevent this. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGro...

Rules Wizard will no open
Whether I click Tools/Rules Wizard, or click organize/Rules Wizard, nothing happens. It's as if the Rules Wizard doesn't exist. This is Outlook XP under Win2000 Pro. With all latest updates. Thanks for any help, David ...

consolidating workbooks
Hi, I inherited a situation at work wherein I use several different workbooks which, after they have been fully maintained and updated, when printed out and assembled become a complete document. There are various cells in the workbooks that link to each other. I would like to consolidate these various workbooks into one comprehensive workbook, with the old workbooks becoming worksheets withing the new, consolidated workbook. I began doing this today, and I've been painstakingly updating the old links so they will find the proper cells in the new workbook. My question is, is there ...

Laptop does not reawaken when Outlook is open???
Greetings. I have a IBM ThinkPad T21 running Win2000Pro. About two weeks ago, an odd thing began to occur. When the laptop would go into SUSPEND/SLEEP mode, upon 're- awakening' the laptop, I was greeted with a blank (black) screen and a white blinking text cursor in the upper left corner, kind of like the old DOS text cursor. I have to unplug the battery and power supply to hard boot the machine and recover. I've noticed that this only occurs when the Outlook application is running. It doesn't seem to do it consistently, but most of the time. Any thoughts?? Thanks in ...

Worksheet Tabs at bottom of Workbook
Worksheet Tabs at bottom of Workbook I have about 80 worksheets in 1 workbook..... These names change...from time to time. And thus, I would like to sort the worksheets alphabetically from time to time. I am aware that I can drag them back and forth, but it would be very convienent if I could do an auto sort. Thanks See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "csfrolich" <csfrolich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB01933D-D498-457C-90C8-354757834C41@microsoft.com... > Worksheet Tabs at bottom of ...

office xp and 2003 can't open attachment
Dear Gentlemen, we have quite a restrictive group policy across our domain, which served us fine until some users started reporting they were unable to open picture attachments in Office. Disabling the "run only allowed..." restriction on the computers concerned, the attachments open fine (with the default windows picture and fax viewer). The weirdest thing is that even with our "run only..." restriction applied, every picture on the local file system opens OK (normally with the default picture and fax viewer). The ones saved from the attachments too. I FileMon'd t...

cant open new message tab
new computer wont open tab for new mail message beverly <beverly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > new computer wont open tab for new mail message Can you be any less vague? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Opening an XL file
Right-o This should be easy. .... Under Win 98 / Office 97, I want to open an XL spreadsheet There are a number of ways to do this normally and I have no problem there. What would be really nice is to open the file at SPECIFIC sheets of the workbook. Essentially, I'm envisaging command thingies of the type - c:\my documents\fred.xls : sheet3 or c:\my documents\fred.xls : sheet22 Is there a syntax for this type of thing? Thanks Workbooks.Open FileName:="MyBook.xls" Application.Goto reference:=ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheets1").Range("A1") Reg...

Look-up between two workbooks
Hello I am faced with a dilemma. I am working on an asset allocation analysis tool for clients regarding asset weightings with their holdings. I have everything set up nice, but want to automate the process. I would like to know if the following is possible, and if so, how?? I want to type in a code (the mutual fund code) in one cell, and automatically have it come up with the name, and different asset weightings in the adjacent cells. The source data is located in another workbook, all on one page. The cells are side by side, and have all the data in the correct order. Now, does anyon...

Great Plains Integration Manager --Create 1 invoice with mulitple items
How do you get integration manager to creat one invoice with multiple items. Kourosh ...

Wizard unable to open form in Form or Datasheet view
I am just learning Access, and I am unable to get a Form to work with my database. I get an error, "The wizard is unable to open your form in Form view or Datasheet view, possibly because another user has a source table open in exclusive mode." I am the only one working on this database, which is brand-new. I found one Help article that said if a "reserved word" was used, that could cause a problem like this, and I had done that on my first try. I created the form based on two tables, "Facilities" and "Activities", that are in a one-t...